Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans vegans everywhere

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

bnt wrote: »
    Here's some more militant vegan logic: farmer posts pictures on Facebook after one of his cows has triplets, so that means it's OK to issue death threats against the farmer and his kids. :mad:

I've seen a few wishing that female dairy farmers have their breast cancer return.

Like, WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Jim Ellis wrote: »
    I don't know where all these annoying vegans are,
    There were two on the PKShow on TV3 last night. As a result of their efforts I'm trebling my intake of rib-eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mebuntu wrote: »
    There were two on the PKShow on TV3 last night. As a result of their efforts I'm trebling my intake of rib-eye.
    What a strange reaction. What did they do that affected you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Why? What do you care what other people eat?
    :confused::confused:

Seems to me that some sensitive souls think that anybody doing something they themselves would not is rejecting their life-style values and implicitly condemning them in the most judgemental fashion.

Which is utter nonsense.

Now if by "vegan" you mean the sort of sniffy, judgemental bollox who refers to their food choices as "following an ethical diet" and constantly sneers at your suasages and hamburgers because of the threat they pose to the future viability of our planet, then fine. You can and should be intolerant of intolerance.

But I have never personally come across such a person. And have only ever heard of them in chat threads such as this. Which makes me doubt that they form any size of body of opinion at all.

I should add that I am in a "mixed marriage"; I likes my "bit o' mate" but have been married to a vegetarian for more than 20 years. Our kids are also split 50-50 between those who do and those who don't.

Co-existence is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They were on the television on a prime slot pushing their weird-beard nonsense into my living-room. If I was on the television pushing my Tyrannosaurus Rex approach to food, I'm sure they'd have plenty to say about it.

• Advertisement

I should add that I am in a "mixed marriage"; I likes my "bit o' mate" but have been married to a vegetarian for more than 20 years. Our kids are also split 50-50 between those who do and those who don't.

Co-existence is possible :)

Fuck co-existence. Fuck it right in the ear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jimgoose wrote: »
    Fuck co-existence. Fuck it right in the ear. :D

In the ear? Er, you know that's not doing it properly?

I think maybe we have found a "trigger" for your anger and frustration :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

They're just insufferably smug and preachy. I had a burger in their honour last night.

In the ear? Er, you know that's not doing it properly?

I think maybe we have found a "trigger" for your anger and frustration :)

Oh Jaysis, another one... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Well, in fairness, they gave us a good laugh but their arrogant attitude comes across as bad, if not worse, than religious zealots and, accordingly, best ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

They're just insufferably smug and preachy. I had a burger in their honour last night.

See, the edgy thing to do would be to go out and shoot 50 sheep. You eating a burger unfortunately doesn't annoy a single vegan any more, because nearly everyone is doing that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rashers are a vegetable, right? I’m vegan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I don't see why the brouhaha about what people eat or do not eat. There are bigger things to get upset over.

Do militant vegans get as upset about flies being swatted. Is there a line for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Do militant vegans get as upset about flies being swatted. Is there a line for them?

I remember a hilarious morning on the GR show many years ago when animal rights folk were out on some Irish beach trying to shovel a shoal of washed up jelly fish back into the sea in order to “save them” . They got on the radio pleading for volunteers, apparently the jelly fish were suffering immeasurable pain.
    Some professor of oceanography or whatever then came on and just made bits of them telling them that jelly fish have no brains etc. can feel no pain.
    Typical GR
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It’s fascinating that you would let them have such influence over your food choice. They really struck a chord with you then

Patww79 wrote: »

Poor you. I must be lucky that I’m not having it forced down my neck. Or maybe I just don’t get upset about people having a different outlook.

They don’t have any power to actually make you do anything. You know that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s fascinating that you would let them have such influence over your food choice. They really struck a chord with you then

These are the same people who think that the bishop nearly had a heart attack because he heard someone had a steak on Ash Wednesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Patww79 wrote: »

Given that 99% of the planet's human population eat meat nearly daily, and many of them 3 times a day, do you really think that one of them eating a burger yesterday cost a single vegan a minute of sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I wouldn't mind one way or the other. At the very least nut milks are inoffensive and at best they are delicious in things like porridge. Homemade nit milk is a bit of a faf-on but it's absolutely delicious.

Never thought of milking nits, must try it, but aren't they hard to get hold of, being so small and all?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Given that 99% of the planet's human population eat meat nearly daily, and many of them 3 times a day, do you really think that one of them eating a burger yesterday cost a single vegan a minute of sleep?

It was a joke, Shensen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

But they drink water don’t they? That’s a fish’s house, sick fcuks :(

Don't forget, fish have sex in that water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Mtx wrote: »
    Would it be fair to be say guys that are vegan, tend to be less masculine?

Not sure about that, but some of the biggest online vegan **** are guys, off the top of my head there's Vegan Gains and Sexy Vegan (that's his legal name btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have suffered a lifetime of being told what to do and what to eat and all that nonsense. Being a Roman Catholic in 1960's Ireland, fish on Friday, no meat on certain days etc. I will be damned if I will let a fringe group tell me what I can or cannot eat or let anybody try to impose their values on me or any of my fellow human beings.

Vegans can take a hike as far as I am concerned. My authority figures who were not too bad on the subject of religious observance ( there were worse parents around..) are no longer in a position to boss me around and I am now the sole authority figure in my life. I'll be damned before I would let any fringe group dictate what I can or cannot buy or eat. This to me is a red line position.

I enjoy my full Irish Breakfasts. I enjoy my medium rare steaks. I enjoy my chicken and ham dinners and I enjoy meat.

As an inhabitant of a northern latitude and wet Island where tillage and the growing of grain, fruits and vegetables is difficult at best and the growing of grass fed cattle,sheep and pigs is relatively easy, it makes sense to include meat in a persons diet.

Completely excluding meat will mean a drastic decrease in a very short time in the populations of sheep, cattle and pigs on the planet...people will not breed them if they cannot eat them. Is this what Vegans want?? The reduction in less than 10 years of the cow population from 1.46 billion to.....what?

Vegans do not even use milk so that cows will become ornaments or pets...it doesn't take a genius to figure out what will happen without an economic dimension to a cows life such as the trade of meat ,leather and milk. They will disappear from the planet in a very short time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 PipPirrip

I just don't have time to become a vegan. It's that simple. I live by myself and cook basic meals. I don't have the time or energy to go vegan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Demonique wrote: »
    Don't forget, fish have sex in that water

The sea is salty cos all of the fishes and whales **** off into it. FACT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

PipPirrip wrote: »
    I just don't have time to become a vegan. It's that simple. I live by myself and cook basic meals. I don't have the time or energy to go vegan.

How is preparing a salad or smoothie more time/energy consuming than preparing a ham sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There is a certain type of Vegan that i do love...

The Vegans that will act all high and mighty about how ethical their food choices are...while wearing Nike footwear, clothing for Pennies and/or vintage Adidas trainers/jacket...oh their so ethical :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Are you one? Since when? And why? What's your daily conversion rate of normal-humans to vegans?

I recently read that the increase of vegans in the US is 600% over the last three years. I live in the UK and I'd say anecdotally we're definitely up there as well. Three lads in my office alone have been "reducing their meat consumption" in the last few months based on another lad discovering the joys of chickpeas and kale smoothies and pea protein powder and eating food that real food is supposed to eat. I was invited to a "vegan cocktail party" recently too, whatever the fook that is.

Can't wait to see what the next food craze will be. Paleo, gluten-free, veganism, what next? I'm curious about whether or not this vegan virus has spread to Ireland as well?

No definitely not one of those.

Any vegan I know are very narcissistic, prone to gaslighting and have the skin tone of Bart Simpson.
    They're also very weak physically, and love arguing with authority.

Not sure if the skin tone is jaundice or they're lacking something.

Anyhow I don't feel sorry for them.

They forget to realize that their DNA is programmed to eat properly and meat is a stable part of human diet.

There's a vegan restaurant in Ennis and every time I pass buy and glance in the window all I see are yellow people...

Advertisement