Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans vegans everywhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Heard lately that there was vegans handing out anti Dairy fliers outside an ice cream shop in Dublin. Now whatever about their motives being justified or not, but Jesus, a life without ice cream would be one dull existence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm always amazed at the number of vegans people post in these threads seem to know.
    I'm vegetarian, and other than my husband and maybe 3 or 4 people at work, I know no vegetarians, and not a single vegan.

How do people meet all these vegans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mtx wrote: »
    Would it be fair to be say guys that are vegan, tend to be less masculine?
    https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/nate-diaz-and-other-vegan-ufc-fighters-w199323

It would be incorrect to say it. Lots more examples if you look.

Veganism involves rigorous self discipline, since there is a challenge getting a properly nutritious diet. Eating meat is self indulgent in comparison. I view veganism as the more masculine option.

Was vegetarian for seven years or so. Started eating birds and fish again last year to support my wife who had medical reasons to need to. Ideologically agreed with veganism but my conscience was satisfied with vegetarianism for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tidyboii

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at the number of vegans people post in these threads seem to know.
    I'm vegetarian, and other than my husband and maybe 3 or 4 people at work, I know no vegetarians, and not a single vegan.

How do people meet all these vegans?
    They introduce themselves as vegan.... *coat grab time*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

The vegan converts in my office are burly lads for the most part, and the whole cultish takeover started when the burliest meat-eater of them all took up a challenge from his vegan wife who told him he'd never survive a week meat-free. A few weeks later he was full-on hugging trees and vegan preaching and the rest of the team got sucked in fairly lively too.

I think it's a bromance that has gone a step too far and they'll eventually succumb to temptation when the waft of my juicy steaks and chicken fillets keeps passing their way at lunch time.

• Advertisement

Tidyboii wrote: »
    They introduce themselves as vegan.... *coat grab time*

I heard that, too, but do they only ever introduce themselves to people who have a problem with what other people eat? Is that some sort of strange vegan "gaydar" they have that will allow them to identify the people who, after meeting them, will jump straight onto the next social platform they can find to complain about preachy feminised vegans?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Was in Poland this summer was surprised at how many vegan restaurants and cafes there it was brilliant Ireland could learn a thing or two. (Declared interest here I'm vegetarian)

I was in Poland about 10 years ago and I couldn't even get anything vegetarian, never mind vegan. Even when they delivered bread and "butter" it turned out it was lard they expected us to put on our bread.

I'm glad to see they've improved their catering since then at least.

For my declared interest: I'm not vegan. I'm not even technically vegetarian. But I eat vegetarian about 98% of the time (I eat the fish a couple of times a year), and vegan about 20% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Vegans are not normal-humans? :rolleyes:

Now you're getting it, well done . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Have a family member who was primarily vegan.
    Tbf, I never ate much meat and was happy to entertain vegan diet and you can eat quite a lot of good food so I'd have no complaints about the lifestyle in general. It's just I when it became gluten and dairy free is where it started to feel like an extremist ideology and then I started watching these videos.

(I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and would only have meat maybe once a week)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

quickbeam wrote: »
    I was in Poland about 10 years ago and I couldn't even get anything vegetarian, never mind vegan. Even when they delivered bread and "butter" it turned out it was lard they expected us to put on our bread.

I'm glad to see they've improved their catering since then at least.

For my declared interest: I'm not vegan. I'm not even technically vegetarian. But I eat vegetarian about 98% of the time (I eat the fish a couple of times a year), and vegan about 20% of the time.

my families polish so I'm at an advantage but honestly if you want a vegan break (and can stand the crowds of tourists) go to Krakow . I prefer gdansk bit more low key but slightly harder work.

Oh yes they there is still loads of meat and people selling smalec (lard) on bread.

• Advertisement

It's the pseudo-vegans that irk me, as I'm sure they irk real vegans.

I had lunch with a frenemy who was telling me she'd gone gluten-free and didn't eat wheat and was now vegan. We were having soup with big slices of 'spelt bread' (spelt being an ingredient, a small proportion of the mainly wheat bread), and she had it spread with butter. Proper butter.

Anyway, she told me she was completely and totally vegan, except she ate fish. And sometimes chicken on Sundays. Then she poured the milk into her coffee and had an apple pie with cream, and told me all about how she had twelve allergies diagnosed in a half hour by someone with a table set up in a branch of Holland and Barrett. Ninety minutes of my life I can never have back.

As for real vegans and vegetarians, I've no problem with any of it and have been trying to have a few meat free days a week myself, possibly working up to making the real commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Reducing your meat content does not make you a vegan, or even plastic vegan (vegetarians), it makes you an eatinglessmeatatarian.

Flexitarian apparently, someone who sometimes doesn't eat meat :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-vegetarianism

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

I know a lot of vegans, and they all just get on with life and don't interfere with non-vegans lives or diets.
    Could you give an actual real-life example of this happening?
    I don't know where all these annoying vegans are, it's a misconceived stereotype brought up when someone wants to have a rant against a certain group or section of society for no apparent reason. To feel better about themselves or something. I don't know.
    Live and let live. Don't bother vegans and they won't bother you. Get a hobby. Read a book. Go for a walk. Whatever floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

wexie wrote: »
    Flexitarian apparently, someone who sometimes doesn't eat meat :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-vegetarianism

So, emmmmm does everyone have a label these days? :confused:

So, emmmmm does everyone have a label these days? :confused:

You're such a questiontarion.

Jim Ellis wrote: »
    Live and let live.
    don't be a dick

Pretty much my whole philosophy in two easy quotes.
    Not bad for a friday evening

I know a lot of vegans, and they all just get on with life and don't interfere with non-vegans lives or diets.
    Could you give an actual real-life example of this happening?
    I don't know where all these annoying vegans are, it's a misconceived stereotype brought up when someone wants to have a rant against a certain group or section of society for no apparent reason. To feel better about themselves or something. I don't know.
    Live and let live. Don't bother vegans and they won't bother you. Get a hobby. Read a book. Go for a walk. Whatever floats your boat.

That’s great. Fair play to ya. I know a lot of annoying ones, as outlined in the OP. So there ya are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

OH is vegan and has been for almost 40 years. If she ate meat, she'd get physically sick.

She hates hardliners and despises peta.

She saw what happened in a small rural abattoir when she was a kid and never ate meat since and went vegan when she was 20. (long long long time ago :) )

But I eat meat, the dogs eat meat, she'll cook meat (ok. She'll put a chicken in the oven), and won't even try to change me (love rare steak)

So Veganism is like any minority group - the vast majority are normal and you wouldn't know they are part of that group. But you always have the vocal, annoying, minority who think they must "show off". And the others just hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

Bambi985 wrote: »
    That’s great. Fair play to ya. I know a lot of annoying ones, as outlined in the OP. So there ya are.

The only annoying "offence" committed by vegans I can see from your OP is them inviting you to a vegan cocktail party.
    God forbid you could just say "no thanks" and get on with life, rather than getting annoyed by them and airing your grievance on the internet.
    How are the other vegans diet choice impacting your life in any way ?

CeilingFly wrote: »
    the vast majority are normal and you wouldn't know they are part of that group. But you always have the vocal, annoying, minority who think they must "show off". And the others just hate them.

Pretty much the long and short of it.

My OH is vegetarian but will happily cook me and the kids meat (not steak she doesn't like the blood) but I don't think she's ever tried to convince me or anyone else*. It's just a personal choice.

But you're right, you do get the odd militant vegetarian/vegan. First thing I tend to do is look at their shoes....

*She eats eggs from our rescue hens, but we can't have a rooster. She reckons if there's no rooster then it's just chickens period, if there's a chance the eggs might be fertilized then it could be a potential baby chicken :D

• Advertisement

People eating in the cinema. People not giving their seats to pregnant women on public transport. Social influencers. Just a few current threads about things that annoy people but have fcuk all impact on their lives in the general scheme of things. It's probably the most human trait there is, to be annoyed by something that doesn't impact your life other than to, well, annoy you.

If it's not your bag then AH is probably going to seriously annoy you (but not impact your life so naturally you have no right to be annoyed going by your logic)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

People eating in the cinema. People not giving their seats to pregnant women on public transport. Social influencers. Just a few current threads about things that annoy people but have fcuk all impact on their lives in the general scheme of things. It's probably the most human trait there is, to be annoyed by something that doesn't impact your life other than to, well, annoy you.
    )

Lol....thats not the same.

YFlyer wrote: »

lol yes it is

YFlyer wrote: »

Well, the people in the cinema may be not eating meat, so could potentially be vegans..... or something.

The only annoying "offence" committed by vegans I can see from your OP is them inviting you to a vegan cocktail party.
    God forbid you could just say "no thanks" and get on with life, rather than getting annoyed by them and airing your grievance on the internet.

I think the Op is more irritated by the 'faddiness' of it in her environment; one becomes a vegan and then a few join in what seems to be a kind of bandwagon. It's not as though there seems to have been serious, careful thought gone into it so their commitment might not be the same as most vegans.

It's like when 'everybody' started going gluten-free or were suddenly lactose intolerant in waves, most of them probably never kept up the sacrifices involved.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I took it.

Well, the people in the cinema may be not eating meat, so could potentially be vegans..... or something.

One of the complaints about people eating in the cinema is that they make too much noise stuffing themselves. Others want to watch and listen to the movie.

lol yes it is

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

wexie wrote: »

*She eats eggs from our rescue hens, but we can't have a rooster. She reckons if there's no rooster then it's just chickens period, if there's a chance the eggs might be fertilized then it could be a potential baby chicken :D

Eggs = chicken abortions :D
    But, she has to have leather shoes / handbags. - I remind her how much meat I have to eat to balance the leather usage.

They be making noise eating their celery.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Eggs = chicken abortions :D
    But, she has to have leather shoes / handbags. - I remind her how much meat I have to eat to balance the leather usage.

Yeah, mine has a bit of a thing for shoes, to the point I will occasionally call her Imelda. (like I said she's not a militant vegetarian, just doesn't like the thought of eating meat).

I think I may have to start using that one.

Advertisement