Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options
1214215216217218220»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ
    Mellor wrote: »
    That doesn't disagree with anything I said though :confused:

Saying "the judges didn't think" he won 2 and 3 implies they were unanimous. They weren't. One scored then for McGregor. Which undermines the idea that Walshb's scoring is out if whack. That's all I was pointing out.
    Rounds 2-4 were really close. Going either way is not totally unreasonable, but I did feel at the time that the judges would take it upon themselves to "discipline" the scorecards for rd 2.

No saying "the judges didn't think" did not imply that it was unanimous. It was a simple and accurate statement. 2 of the 3 judges gave rounds 2 & 3 to Mayweather. So he won both rounds, which is all I was pointing out.

I didn't say the rounds weren't close. Personally I wouldn't disagree with giving McGregor round 2, after that I would disagree with him winning any rounds but again that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Floyd via DQ
    No, they die of suicide, caused by severe depression. The addiction obviously might lead to that, but to say gambling is worse than alcohol or smoking is absolutely ludicrous. Gambling problem is solved easier than drug addiction too!

I believe the point that was being made earlier was that in terms of one day then it can be argued that gambling can be worse in the context of destroying ones life (excluding death). Because alcoholics can only drink x amount of money in one day, drugs are a bit more expensive but financial damage is limited to what can be used in one day - but gamblers can lose everything in one day, financial damage is unlimited in one day, therefore destroying lives within 24 hours - imagine it, you wake up one morning and have a house over your head plus life savings in the bank, then that night it's all gone.

In the context of addictions too it is deemed that gambling is more difficult to overcome than drugs and alcohol. The success rates of overcoming such addictions prove such. Why - because you can place an alcoholic / drug addict into a treatment centre and they will be separated from their poison - with gambling the drug is in their minds, and as such is brought everywhere, whether that's a treatment centre or a jail cell - therefore it is believed to be much more difficult to overcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

begbysback wrote:
    In the context of addictions too it is deemed that gambling is more difficult to overcome than drugs and alcohol. The success rates of overcoming such addictions prove such. Why - because you can place an alcoholic / drug addict into a treatment centre and they will be separated from their poison - with gambling the drug is in their minds, and as such is brought everywhere, whether that's a treatment centre or a jail cell - therefore it is believed to be much more difficult to overcome.

You can't gamble in treatment centre/ rehab. You have no access to internet,tv, fone or even a newspaper!

Don't know what you mean by the gambling is in there minds. Alcoholic and drug user will also have their next sup/fix on there mind all day every day.

Financially, yes, gambling addiction will make you broke faster than drink or drugs, but to say a gambling addiction is worse than drugs is a crazy thing to say.

That's it on this subject and thread for me now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Floyd via DQ
    Drug addicts / alcoholics hit is from the chemicals they use, gambler doesn't need to use a chemical - the hit is induced in the mind, and can be obtained by any minuscule event, such as betting on who walks in the door next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Floyd via DQ
    Its not the winning or the losing, its the thrill of having the bet on in the first place.

That's the rush, that's the feeling you chase.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Conor via DQ
    Well that escalated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Conor via DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    The 10th money thing is bull. He went very heavy for the KO in 8 and 9. So that angle is bull.

nah theres a full vid of his corner on youtube, I can't find it now. Its from floods corner. They were telling him to wrap it up from 4, but he wasn't "listening"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points
    Got the fight again on Sky Sports.

Floyd was awful and old looking compared to his previous self

Conor looked like a novice . His reflexes were very good for the first few rounds though. Very good

It was a bit of a beat down though just not as much as people thought before the fight .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    No saying "the judges didn't think" did not imply that it was unanimous. It was a simple and accurate statement. 2 of the 3 judges gave rounds 2 & 3 to Mayweather. So he won both rounds, which is all I was pointing out.

Spectator 1: "I think McGregor won rounds 1 and 2, maybe even 3
    Spectator 2: "Well the judges didn't think so"

That statement from spectator 2 isn't accurate, that's all i'm saying.
    Accuracy isn't the same as correctness. By saying the judges (plural) without any other descriptor implies all the judges collectively, not "the majority of judges".

At this point, their opinion was only an opinion like any one elses. It means nothing. Personally, I felt he deserved 1-3, but I also didn't think he'd get them from the particular judges at ringside. I'm kinda interested to know which rounds the media pundits gave McGregor - as many had it 76-76 after 8 , which I'd struggle to get to.

Floyd via DQ
    Mellor wrote: »
    Spectator 1: "I think McGregor won rounds 1 and 2, maybe even 3
    Spectator 2: "Well the judges didn't think so"

That statement from spectator 2 isn't accurate, that's all i'm saying.
    Accuracy isn't the same as correctness. By saying the judges (plural) without any other descriptor implies all the judges collectively, not "the majority of judges".

If you want to get pedantic about it I can go that route. The statement from spectator two is accurate.

By saying the judges and going on your basis that it implies the judges collectively, with Mayweather ahead on two judges scorecards, the statement is accurate. The statement is also correct.

While it could be said the statement is not absolutely clear, it is both accurate and correct.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Disappointing gate receipts with only $55m taken in, I wonder how much the PPV actually did?

Disappointing gate receipts with only $55m taken in, I wonder how much the PPV actually did?

Obviously they wanted to break the record but I wouldn't call 55m hate disappointing for what everyone called a circus. Is that 2nd biggest gate ever?

Floyd via DQ
    Obviously they wanted to break the record but I wouldn't call 55m hate disappointing for what everyone called a circus. Is that 2nd biggest gate ever?

Its very disappointing considering they were talking about breaking $80m the day before the fight.

Floyd via DQ

I thought they, and wonderfullife had mentioned something before fight night about already $72m on gate and pushing toward $80m? That they failed to break the gate record would be a bit of an embarrassment for them but only in the sense of all the big talk and bluster about the numbers they were doing pre fight and post fight tbf. Dana saying they were at $70m already a couple of days out from the fight should have been a red flag to people who are well used to his bull**** to be fair :D Never got near it.

I'd say if they broke the record with the PPV they would have publicized it now, be interesting to see the final figure I suppose. They were projecting mid 4 million with a shot at breaking the record, probably be a while before they are firm on a final figure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Floyd via DQ
    I thought they, and wonderfullife had mentioned something before fight night about already $72m on gate and pushing toward $80m?

yeah you can take what wonder says in relation to this fight with a pinch of salt.

Official gate receipts were $55million, Floyd had actually said they had already done $80m at the last press conference, still trying to hype the fight obviously.

I thought they, and wonderfullife had mentioned something before fight night about already $72m on gate and pushing toward $80m?

Heard that myself but those figures are from NSAC so I presume correct. I still think it shatters the ppv record though.

Floyd via DQ
    Heard that myself but those figures are from NSAC so I presume correct. I still think it shatters the ppv record though.

Espinoza is putting the figure at 4.5 give or take 100k or 200k so it will be close either way, as in short or perhaps level, or just ahead.

Won't be shattering it anyway, some numbers fora novelty fight though. Both men must still be in shock they pulled it off.

There just US numbers though yeah? I know there the numbers that count, but I wonder how many sold world wide? Over a million in UK + Eire alone

Also, are Espinozas figures including buys from the Ufc platform aswell as showtime

Floyd via DQ
    There just US numbers though yeah? I know there the numbers that count, but I wonder how many sold world wide? Over a million in UK + Eire alone

Same as the current May/Pac record is just US numbers.

Worldwide this fight did about just as well as the May Pac fight according to showtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    If you want to get pedantic about it I can go that route. The statement from spectator two is accurate.

By saying the judges and going on your basis that it implies the judges collectively, with Mayweather ahead on two judges scorecards, the statement is accurate. The statement is also correct.

While it could be said the statement is not absolutely clear, it is both accurate and correct.
    I guess we just have a different definition of accurate. As I said above, as I said above, correctness is not the same as accuracy. You said yourself it's not a clear statement - to me, if it's unclear, or obstructing something then its not accurate.
    Put it this way, if somebody didn't know the scores and were told "the judges only scored round 1 for McGregor" - what would they assume?
    It terms of aggregate scorecards, sure it's "correct", but accurate? Not imo.

Regardless, I'm not trying to be pedantic over the definition of a word. We both know what the scores were, and more importantly we watched the rounds.
    I was just pointing out that one judges did in fact score 1-3 for McGregor, so using the 2 out of 3 official judges as stick to beat down somebody scoring the first 3 for McGregor is a flawed concept as best.
    I thought they, and wonderfullife had mentioned something before fight night about already $72m on gate and pushing toward $80m? That they failed to break the gate record would be a bit of an embarrassment for them but only in the sense of all the big talk and bluster about the numbers they were doing pre fight and post fight tbf. Dana saying they were at $70m already a couple of days out from the fight should have been a red flag to people who are well used to his bull**** to be fair :D Never got near it.

I'd say if they broke the record with the PPV they would have publicized it now, be interesting to see the final figure I suppose. They were projecting mid 4 million with a shot at breaking the record, probably be a while before they are firm on a final figure.
    it took about 10 days for the MayPac record to be announced. It was initially announced as 4.4m, but months later the official number hit 4.6m

I'd assume they are letting it pick up the stragglers before going public. I'd guess mid 4's is about right I'd guess.

• Advertisement

Haha remember I was crucified for saying a proffesional judge could score a fight wrong. 118-110 Canelo. The proffesional is obviously right.

Haha remember I was crucified for saying a proffesional judge could score a fight wrong. 118-110 Canelo. The proffesional is obviously right.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO

So, break down where it was wrong. Rds, scores, reasons for scores etc..

walshb wrote:
    So, break down where it was wrong. Rds, scores, reasons for scores etc..

Seriously?

Advertisement