Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

walshb wrote: »
    I wonder how much gambling consumes his life, and if it's really affecting his life. So many addictions in life. It's what makes us human. If he can afford it and enjoys it then best of luck to him. No different than smoking or drinking or whatever other addictions we have that costs money.

Let's say he loses 25 k a week via gambling. Similar to a smoker (normal joe average salary) losing whatevere the price of his/her addiction for the week.

No gambling is not like smoking or drinking. A drinking problem can be managed and at the end of the day it only costs so much to get drunk. A gambling problem WILL ruin your life. The more money you have the more you have to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,020 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    marcus001 wrote: »
    No gambling is not like smoking or drinking. A drinking problem can be managed and at the end of the day it only costs so much to get drunk. A gambling problem WILL ruin your life. The more money you have the more you have to lose.

I was more comparing the financial losses of a mega millionaire who likes to gamble to an average joe on an average salary who likes to smoke or drink.

Also, at least with gambling you can make money.

It all comes down to the individual and how he/she copes with and manages their addictions.

Btw, why can drinking and smoking be managed and gambling cannot? If they are all addictions then they can all be managed. It all depends on the persons involved. Some gamblers manage their gambling better than others. Same with drinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

marcus001 wrote:

Most idiotic post Ive ever read and that says a lot.

Drinking addiction doesn't change you life no?

Drinking kills

Smoking kills

Far as I know, you can't die of a gambling overdose. Worst that can happen is you completely broke or in debt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO

Drinking kills

Smoking kills

Far as I know, you can't die of a gambling overdose. Worst that can happen is you completely broke or in debt.

Many die of gambling addiction (suicide) anyways its gone way off topic time to move on lads.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Many die of gambling addiction (suicide) anyways its gone way off topic time to move on lads.

That's suicide. Not gambling.

Suicide happens for many reasons. Gambling and drinking being two reasons that can lead to it, or contribute to it happening.

Way off topic anyway. No law against any of the addictions we mentioned. Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Any addiction can ruin your life.

I know functional alcoholics that put away over a litre of vodka a day, and hold onto serious jobs. I know others that buy 3 x 3L of Devils Bit at 10.30am, and can't hold onto a job because they aren't sober.

And a gambling addiction can't kill you by going cold turkey.

Gamebred wrote:

No, they die of suicide, caused by severe depression. The addiction obviously might lead to that, but to say gambling is worse than alcohol or smoking is absolutely ludicrous. Gambling problem is solved easier than drug addiction too!

Gamebred wrote:

Love this too, make a stupid claim and tell me change subject in the same sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points

Drinking kills

Smoking kills

Idiotic post . Thats not the worst thing that can happen with a gambling addiction . Off topic so wont elaborate.

Idiotic post . Thats not the worst thing that can happen with a gambling addiction . Off topic so wont elaborate.

Enlighten me via PM.

Your post is off topic but you won't tell me why cos it's off topic? I've called you out many times on your bul**** posts and not once have you backed anything you said up.

• Advertisement

Conor on points
    No, they die of suicide, caused by severe depression. The addiction obviously might lead to that, but to say gambling is worse than alcohol or smoking is absolutely ludicrous. Gambling problem is solved easier than drug addiction too!

Another beauty

Another beauty

How you gamble with no money? Does paddy power give you bets on tick?

Conor on points
    How you gamble with no money? Does paddy power give you bets on tick?

Very naive . No money would never stop a gambling addict.

Very naive . No money would never stop a gambling addict.

What exactly is being gambled then if you have no funds to gamble?

Tell me someone who has died of gambling

Tell me someone who does irreversible damage to there body by gambling

Gambling no doubt is a serious, life changing addiction but to say it's worse than drugs or alcohol is really not true.

Conor on points

Gambling no doubt is a serious, life changing addiction but to say it's worse than drugs or alcohol is really not true.

Other peoples. You haven't come across people with serious addictions in your life with gambling . Thats good . I have . I know what can happen. So dont try edcuate me, thanks.

I was more comparing the financial losses of a mega millionaire who likes to gamble to an average joe on an average salary who likes to smoke or drink.

Also, at least with gambling you can make money.

It all comes down to the individual and how he/she copes with and manages their addictions.

Btw, why can drinking and smoking be managed and gambling cannot? If they are all addictions then they can all be managed. It all depends on the persons involved. Some gamblers manage their gambling better than others. Same with drinkers.

No you can't. Its exactly this belief that makes gambling addicts addicts.

Well I won't say for certain that gambling can't be managed, but its literally the only vice that could lose you a multimillion dollar fortune.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    No you can't. Its exactly this belief that makes gambling addicts addicts.

Yes, you can....

Example: you put on ten euro on a horse at 10-1 to win and it wins you have made 100 euro.

Drinking: You go to a pub and buy a pint. You hand over circa 5 euro and you leave with 5 euro less in your pocket.

It's all very simple.

You're just deliberately narrowing the focus of addiction to what it does to your body when in actual fact the effects are far more profound than that. A huge percentage of fraudsters in prison did it to get out of gambling debt. Its hard to drink the entire children's allowance, it really isn't hard to gamble it away.

Conor on points
    Yes, you can....

Example: you put on ten euro on a horse at 10-1 to win and it wins you have made 100 euro.

Drinking: You go to a pub and buy a pint. You hand over circa 5 euro and you leave with 5 euro less in your pocket.

It's all very simple.

A gambling addict never has any money. There is obviously different levels of addiction though i agree. Im talking the extreme end .

Its no longer about trying to make money. Its just gambling because you have to.

Yes, you can....

It's all very simple.

Someone who doesn't understand probability, house edge, margin etc. Over time 99% of people lose to the bookies.

The only way to make money gambling is to walk into a bookies, place one bet, win and then walk away and never return. They always return though.

• Advertisement

Other peoples. You haven't come across people with serious addictions in your life with gambling . Thats good . I have . I know what can happen. So dont try edcuate me, thanks.

I have actually. Lived with a guy with a huge gambling problem, went to rehab a few times and is sorted now thank God.

I also know, and am friends with alcohol and other drug addiction. I know which one id prefer to be

Also, you think drug addicts don't borrow, beg and steal to fund there addiction?

Conor on points
    Also, you think drug addicts don't borrow, beg and steal to fund there addiction?

Of course they do. They dont need to rob/con/fraud a limitless supply of money though

Look, all addicts can be unreliable, dangerous and self destructive people, but gambling is the only vice that could destroy Floyd's fortune.

And alcohol and drugs could literally destroy his life.

Lose your fortune or lose your life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ

All three are soul destroying, you can lose money, borrow money, end up in debt to the wrong type of person and have your life crushed by gambling.

Just take a look at many of the famous Irish sports people who's lives were turned upside down by gambling.

There is no doubt all three are debilitating.

Anyway that's pretty far from Mayweather beating McGregor!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    [
    Mayweather won 2 & 3 on two judges cards .. ie if the cards had counted he won rounds 2&3.
    That doesn't disagree with anything I said though :confused:

Saying "the judges didn't think" he won 2 and 3 implies they were unanimous. They weren't. One scored then for McGregor. Which undermines the idea that Walshb's scoring is out if whack. That's all I was pointing out.
    Rounds 2-4 were really close. Going either way is not totally unreasonable, but I did feel at the time that the judges would take it upon themselves to "discipline" the scorecards for rd 2.

Conor on points

At least its only your own life

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    Comparing alcoholism and gambling addiction by the same metrics is bizarre. Two differently afflictions. It doesn't matter which is worse for your health or your wallet.

But saying alcoholism is so bad because it doesn't cost too much to get drunk it's insanely naive. That has to be trolling. No adult could actually think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

At least its only your own life

And the wife. And the kids. And the brothers and sisters. And the people you screw over to indulge in your addiction.

**** sake lads, stop arguing over which addiction is worse. An addict is an addict, no matter what the vice is.

Bunch of ****ing children.

Advertisement