Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gbear wrote: »
    Every day it blows my goddamn mind that there's no 3rd person shooter Space Marine game.

Go find all the cast offs from Bioware's heyday. Hand them the IP. Hoover up dumptrucks of cash. Make me a happy little boy child.

If you look at something like Mass Effect Andromeda, the combat was pretty satisfying mechanically, but set within the 40k universe you would have so much more room to have a visceral, head-chopping, chainswording experience. It would be glorious.

Games Workshop, with a few notable exceptions, like Virmintide and Total War, seem to mostly be interested in making asset-flipping shovelware with their IP attached to it.

It blows my mind how very little good 40k games are out there.
    I always loved 40k lore and finally started books ( Audio books ), so far on book 11 of Horus Heresy and it's really damn good.
    This universe has so much to give and so underused unfortunately.

On the other hand 40k Inquisitor Martyr is pretty solid arpg. No, it's not Diablo 3 or Poe, but it's fun. Things explode in a pools of blood in gore with a very satisfying pop. It's just good crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

What I'd love is a remastered version of Chaos Gate.
    I loved that game.
    Basically 40K X-Com.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Possibly silly question but did you play the campaign? It's my only interest in this game.
    A bit of it - it's not something I'm too pushed about, but there've been some good "set piece" moments which is kinda what a CoD campaign is all about anyway I suppose. It's a lot better than I expected it to be, but honestly, playing the campaign of a CoD game is like eating the walnut on a Walnut Whip - sure, you can do it, but it's not the reason you bought a Walnut Whip :D

The 40k Inquisition would really suit a Mass Effect style game. Necromunda would suit an X-Com style game in a big way. The MOBA market being so saturated would preclude that sort of game, but the Emperor knows there are enough "heroes" to slot into that style of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It blows my mind how very little good 40k games are out there.
    I always loved 40k lore and finally started books ( Audio books ), so far on book 11 of Horus Heresy and it's really damn good.
    This universe has so much to give and so underused unfortunately.

On the other hand 40k Inquisitor Martyr is pretty solid arpg. No, it's not Diablo 3 or Poe, but it's fun. Things explode in a pools of blood in gore with a very satisfying pop. It's just good crack.

I've been having a crack at that and Battlefleet Gothic as well recently.

There's a lot of nuance and technique required in making a good aRPG. I don't think for a minute that they didn't put loads of work into the game, but it doesn't feel particularly sophisticated.

That said, it's still plenty of fun.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    The 40k Inquisition would really suit a Mass Effect style game. Necromunda would suit an X-Com style game in a big way. The MOBA market being so saturated would preclude that sort of game, but the Emperor knows there are enough "heroes" to slot into that style of thing.

There's several layers of "power level" you could look at in 40k, with perhaps an Arbites investigator on Terra who's tracking down criminals and such. It'd seem to work on the same kind of level as something like Cyberpunk.
    Or an inquisitor based thing which might span across a sector, or if you wanted more individual power for the player, maybe a member of the Custodes.

Equally, I don't see why you couldn't have a Space Marine Mass Effect clone, planet hopping around a sector solving mysteries and killing things with big guns.

And there's so many chapters, you could gear it towards stealth, with the Ravenguard, God of War-esque butchery with the Space Wolves, Blood Angels or what have you, more tactically focused stuff with someone standard like the Ultramarines, or a melange with the likes of Deathwatch.

I've often had a root around expecting to find something in the works, somewhere, but it's like it hasn't even occurred to GW to get this done.

As it is, they've started producing a bunch of stuff for TV/Streaming, including bankrolling the guy who did the animated series Helsreach on Youtube, Richard Boylan, so they're clearly not averse to branching out, but games don't seem to be that big on the agenda at GW HQ.
    Given the aesthetic, I don't see for a minute why they couldn't be a massive force in FPS, 3P Action games and the like. Well outside of their normal customer base, you would imagine there's a huge market there. If people like Gears of War, surely they'd love 40k?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Remouad wrote: »
    I loved that game.
    Basically 40K X-Com.

That game was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ok, so it took me 19 seasons, but I finally bothered my hole to actually complete a full seasonal journey in Diablo 3. Got the Guardian rank this season, extra slot space, the pet, etc. Usually the contempation of a massive grind puts me off, but this season I just really enjoyed it and it wasn't a grind at all. Not sure why, but I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Rage 2.
    Seem to be trying to get through games on my XBox pass thingy. Was thinking of dipping back into WOW but with so many games to play on my Pass I dont think ill bother. Really enjoyed the first Rage game and this is prity decent so far. Its very similar to Mad Max but thats not a bad thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Remouad wrote: »
    I loved that game.
    Basically 40K X-Com.

That game was amazing.

Sound track was epic.
    Turns out it's available on gog

Glebee wrote: »
    Rage 2.
    Seem to be trying to get through games on my XBox pass thingy. Was thinking of dipping back into WOW but with so many games to play on my Pass I dont think ill bother. Really enjoyed the first Rage game and this is prity decent so far. Its very similar to Mad Max but thats not a bad thing either.

I think Rage 2 is a game that finally made me realize how old I am and how I don't just do these kind of First person, open world, quantity over quality first person shooters anymore. Played maybe for 2h and just deleted it. Not really games fault, it's very polished game, feels good, but I am just... to old for this ****.
    As for Mad Max. I really loved it back in the day. It suffered from same open world issues, but it still managed to be unique and fun. Really damn good Mad Max game. It's downfall was releasing same day as Metal Gear Solid 5. Wtf they were thinking?!

I personally playing They are Billions campaign and really love it. It's damn hard and I have failed missions so many times, but it is so satisfying when you finally beat it and get those few research points to get that little boost for your colonies.

Then I finally bought Escape from Tarkov. Still haven't played it properly, just loaded up, looked at menus and tried a bit off-line just to see how it runs. Not much time to play thanks to "magical "Xmas time, aka work sucks...

It grabbed me till hour 22 or so. Till I got tired of getting quest markers that my character had no reason to know. There was nothing given that suggested that that was the building I needed to go to. The game wouldn't work with the HUD off.

This isn't really about the Outer Worlds but it made me hark back a bit to Morrowind.

A role playing game with a Godlike knowledge of the world and the people you have to meet is not my cup of tea even if I have limited time to play. Running at green arrows just for some conversation?

Think I'm done with open world games like this for now. I'm gonna switch to games that are games in the way they present themselves.. A game.

I posted the above about the Outer Worlds in its thread complaining that it's not the type of open world game I wanted. So I decided to test myself by playing Morrowind properly for the first time in around fifteen years.. See if that was the type of open world game I really wanted, or if it was just nostalgia.

It most certainly is the type of game I want. OpenMW and some solid mods really help make the gameplay feel good enough. The lore is fantastic and I much prefer the text-based dialogue. No quest markers and no fast travel from the options menu engrosses you in the world. Checking your journal to see if there's anything else you should do while in that area. Silt Strider? Mages Guild? A Divine Intervention Scroll? A boat up the coast? You get to learn all of these and the fastest combination to jump around the map in a way that makes sense within the game world. Some places like Urshilaku will always remain a bitch to get to, or at least I never found an easy way in my 600+ hours as a teenager.

I mean, look at this pic I took of my journal. These are my only directions to those quests. As I get closer, I should be able to get more information from people along the way. The lake both entries talk about is presumably the same so I would do these quests together to save on travel. I can't wait to really get into this over the next month or two.

USr1Y3G.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

The Stanley Parable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Not something I've been playing but something I'd like to.

Battlefield 1.

Sorry to go a bit OT but I was wondering if anyone would know if I could run Battlefield 1 decently on an i5 2500k (not OC'd), a gtx 3gb1060 and 8gb of Ram ?

I went to "Can I run it?" and know the CPU is'nt good enough however in the past with PCs of various configurations I've played games just fine that supposedly shouldn't have worked being below the min requirements in certain departments either CPU or GPU.

Just wondering has anyone with a similar setup had any luck running BF1. I don't need all the bells and whistles but would like it to look somewhat decent.

I'll be upgrading CPU and RAM in the new year so can always wait but I'd like to give it a blast over Christmas. Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Heckler wrote: »

Battlefield 1.

Sorry to go a bit OT but I was wondering if anyone would know if I could run Battlefield 1 decently on an i5 2500k (not OC'd), a gtx 3gb1060 and 8gb of Ram ?

I went to "Can I run it?" and know the CPU is'nt good enough however in the past with PCs of various configurations I've played games just fine that supposedly shouldn't have worked being below the min requirements in certain departments either CPU or GPU.

Just wondering has anyone with a similar setup had any luck running BF1. I don't need all the bells and whistles but would like it to look somewhat decent.

I'll be upgrading CPU and RAM in the new year so can always wait but I'd like to give it a blast over Christmas. Thanks !

I played in on an i5 3750, 8gb ram and 970gtx I don't remember having any issues. But tbh I hated the guns, so only played it a few times. Pretty much the same with the newest battlefield, CBA playing it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2500K is one of the best OCs cpu in past times, at normal speeds you should be able to play at 1080 highish.

If you have issues overclock the **** out of it.

BF5 is better tho ;) (now after a year )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Cheers for the replies. I'll get it and try it. If theres any major issues I'll just hold off playing it till I've upgraded.

Back on topic I've been playing SOMA and RE2.

Not quite gone on RE2 but am finding SOMA interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Heckler wrote: »

Battlefield 1.

Ive played it as well with i5-2500k CPU, no issues.

If you have xbox game pass give Rage 2 a try, im really enjoying it at the moment. Very very decent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Someone mentioned Escape from Karkov. I was looking at it on Youtube and it looks like my type of game. Now if only I could find a team.

Someone mentioned Escape from Karkov. I was looking at it on Youtube and it looks like my type of game. Now if only I could find a team.

I had day off yesterday and tired to play it. Offline just with bots, on one map, try to learn.... Haven't extracted even fecking once!
    Tried playing as scav on live server few times and only extracted once by pure luck, I think...
    People on YouTube make it look so damn easy, in reality it's fecking brutal.
    Learning just one map is really damn hard... When you die in less then 2 minutes lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Best way to learn I found was having the maps open on a second screen or tablet https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Map_of_Tarkov I don't make it out alive often either, but it gets addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Tarkov is well hard but its fun once you get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just starting Hellblade on Game Pass after seeing the trailer for the sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

CastorTroy wrote: »

Going to play it as well. Never even heard of it till I saw that trailer and the reviews are stunning for Hellblade 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I finished it last night. Felt I had to be in the right frame of mind before playing it, otherwise the whispering voices would start to get to me.

The combat felt good (when I wasn't missing the cues or trying to rush it), and the overall look and setting was enjoyable.

I read it's better played with headphones. I don't have that setup, but after playing it for a bit, I can see why. Especially since there are parts where
    you follow the voice
    Though I'm sure the voices may be a bit overwhelming, which I'm guessing is the point.

I've subtitles turned on which are useful since Senua speaks so low

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Playing Vampyr at the minute via the Xbox game pass. The combat is not great, but the narritive is kind of cool. The trade off between killing people to get XP and keeping the districts stable makes it kind of interesting.

Definitely one of the better Vampire games I've played.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Played it for about an hour and a half last week. Couldn't get into it. After that play time I'd no idea who the protagonist was, where she was going, or why she was going there.

Maybe there was something big I was missing, but I uninstalled it at that point.

Think you missed it. I'm sure by that point we know
    she's trying to get to hel to find the soul of the man she loves. And she's trying to fight the darkness within her as she goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I have been playing only one game for the last two years that being Escape from Tarkov

The best game in years

squawker wrote: »
    I have been playing only one game for the last two years that being Escape from Tarkov

The best game in years

I finally got it myself and I would not call it playing, more of surviving and being less **** lol.
    Really, I am horrible at this game. For me just to enter customs and exit is an achievement. :D

Literally just started Tarkov a few days ago. Well I tried it few years back but couldn't get over the initial difficulty and their business model is horrendous. I'm gonna try stick with it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I finally got it myself and I would not call it playing, more of surviving and being less **** lol.
    Really, I am horrible at this game. For me just to enter customs and exit is an achievement. :D

Customs is a tough map to start on, but its a bit of a catch 22 as its where most of the early quests are

I would advise you to do offline Raids with your PMC on Customs a few times to get used to Scav spawn points and exfil positions and to get comfortable with your chosen weapon / game mechanics, also use a Map on a second screen until you know the Exfils without thinking about it

use your Scav as much as possible, Interchange is a great Scav map to get some nice goodies for your PMC

Advertisement