Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've decided to take a small break from strategy and have picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider again. It's an excellent sequel and great for a lazy day off.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Took a break to wrap up the Resi 2 remake on standard mode. Just the new scenarios to do now. Reckon I'll pass on hardcore as I'm probably not up to it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Red Dead Redemption 2. Only just started but this seems like its going to be epic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My favourite games of all time are click and point type games - especially the Sierra games (Space Quest, King's Quest, Polic Quest etc) and Indiana Jones The Fate of Atlantis. I recently bought the Sierra games on Steam and then got suggestions for other point and click games and they were on sale so I purchased a few.

I'm still really enjoying World of Warcaft (I got a new gaming laptop for Christmas which has made it easier for me run as well) but I played the point and click games over Christmas too - I finished Kathy Rain and enjoyed it, although it wasn't the most challenging game and I'm currently on the first in the Broke Sword series. Unfortunately they go to Ireland at some stage in the game and it's very diddly-dee potatoes and I had to stop playing as I was cringing so much. I'm hoping to go back to it and get through that part as I was enjoying it otherwise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I spent most of Christmas playing Forza Horizon 4 and can't see myself giving up on that any time soon, I'm really enjoying it. They've been very clever about how you can manage the difficulty and race most things at a level you choose rather than all S2 class god-tier cars that would sooner spin in a circle than go straight when you're really, really bad at drivey drivey's like me :)

I've been trying to get stuck into Mashinky which I bought at some stage last year cause I thought it looked cool. I've never really played this sorta game before, so I'm finding myself running outta money quickly and I'm obviously missing some part of how the core mechanics work to make myself sustainable.

I've also started to build my own Railjack in Warframe. It costs about 5 million credits and a whole fk-ton of resources, but SPACE SHIP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A bit of Fallen Jedi and Red Dead Redemption 2, with a huge amount of Starsector. Played it for about 7 hours yesterday :o

Currently addicted to Escape From Tarkov. Like playing it all day everyday for the past week. Utterly incredible game once you get over the initial difficulty hump.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played EFT back when they had a 2 week trial in 2017, performance was terrible and my pc was struggling.
    Fast forward to present day and i have a good PC and the game is a lot better optimized so i bought it.
    I cant say im addicted but ive dabbled quite a bit over the weekend.
    Its weird because when i play it and inevitably die i cant stop thinking i can get the same gunplay experience without that overwhelming fear of death simply from playing Insurgency Sandstorm.
    Off i trot to play that have a blast then fancy some tarkov again rinse repeat :P
    No doubt tarkov is a phenomenal game, im just not 100% committed to put the time and effort required as of yet.

I bought it 2 years back and didn't like it at all. It felt like a complete slog. I didn't understand the game at all. I didn't realise how crucial ammo type and armour is. Now I love it. I've gave it another go with a few noob friends and it's brilliant to learn together. The overwhelming fear of death and the high-risk-high-reward nature is what makes it so great. It gets the heart pumping and the palms sweating. Only a handful of excellent multiplayer games have elicited such a reaction as the tension builds. You are truly in the moment and engaged. PUBG was brilliant for that when it came down to last few circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm STILL trying to finish Skyrim. God this game is just insane. The scale...

60hrs and counting.

I'd beat The Witcher 3 twice as fast! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

60 is feck all for Skyrim. Think I over 150 into it.

Does Skyrim have Oblivion's broken levelling up system?

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Currently addicted to Escape From Tarkov. Like playing it all day everyday for the past week. Utterly incredible game once you get over the initial difficulty hump.

happy you finally experienced Tarkov's true potential :cool:

tbh, the game has ruined other FPS games for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Does Skyrim have Oblivion's broken levelling up system?
    As in, everything levels with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

squawker wrote: »
    happy you finally experienced Tarkov's true potential :cool:

tbh, the game has ruined other FPS games for me

Do you buy it through their official site? puzzled by the pay to win elements on the stash and extra space in your backpack depending on what you pay for the game

KilOit wrote: »
    Do you buy it through their official site? puzzled by the pay to win elements on the stash and extra space in your backpack depending on what you pay for the game

you can buy it directly from the Battlestate site only

sure the EOD version of the game gives you a bigger stash and secure container in-game but these can be upgraded by just playing

I still play with the starter edition and have done for two years successfully

there is no pay to win elements in EFT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

sure the EOD version of the game gives you a bigger stash and secure container in-game but these can be upgraded by just playing

Anymore wipes planned?

KilOit wrote: »
    Anymore wipes planned?

they are going to release a new map in March and there will be a full wipe

the last wipe was 27.10.2019

Taylor365 wrote: »
    As in, everything levels with you?

I think that was the issue. I remember reading about it in a guide.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Glebee wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption 2. Only just started but this seems like its going to be epic....
    You will have a fantastic time. Enjoy!
    Shiminay wrote: »
    I spent most of Christmas playing Forza Horizon 4 and can't see myself giving up on that any time soon, I'm really enjoying it. They've been very clever about how you can manage the difficulty and race most things at a level you choose rather than all S2 class god-tier cars that would sooner spin in a circle than go straight when you're really, really bad at drivey drivey's like me :)
    I got this for myself and precocious 6 nearly -7 year old nephew to play during Christmas and we actually made a pretty good hand of unlocking cool stuff.

I'm on a nostalgia buzz, playing Civilization II because the recent XBox updates of that franchise didn't really fulfill my tyrannical impulses in the same simple way the old ones did. It was quite annoying to patch so it would run on a modern laptop.

Same case with The Sims II. I can only run it on my PC which is a shame because I love progressing idly on games like that when chilling on the couch.

Any good guides on setting up a Mac emulator to run other old games? I really miss stuff like like Warcraft III, Power Pete and Boom (like Bomberman but cooler). I managed to get other versions of Nethergate and Quake to work on a PC but I can't find alternatives.

Most recently, just finished Never Alone. You play as an Inuit and there are optional live action videos interspersed throughout the gameplay to get you acquainted with the Alaskan native people. You and a friend can also play as the main character and a friendly magic fox, which was a big selling point for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Finished The Outer Worlds a couple nights ago after a 25-ish hour playthrough. Enjoyable RPG. You can definitely tell that Mass Effect 2 was an influence but, unfortunately, didn't have the same high stakes feel, or crescendo toward the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There is really no pay to win with Tarkov. Yes, it's nice to have bigger stash, but you will die same way with standard edition or most expensive one.
    I upgraded my account to second tier during sale and will upgrade one tier up on next sale.
    And wtf is happening with all this popularity of Tarkov? It exploded. A lot of newbies moan about the game already...

Anyway, on topic.
    Still playing Tarkov on my days off. Can't really play at night after work as it does make my laptop sound a bit... Fighter jetty.. so misses not impressed.
    Still suck at it badly and only reached level 8. On the other hand I finally have downed some people! Even had a game where I killed 3 people and managed to extract too! My buttcheeks were very sweaty!!
    Then mostly playing Crossout. Played a lot of it on Xbox and now switched to pc and starting from the scratch. Still love that game. Luckily I started playing it during Xmas sale and years premium sub was only 34eu. Can't go wrong with that!
    Rimworld. Like it a lot and my first colony is suffering lol. I am shocked they are still alive as I suck at it too. First freeze was.... Dodgy to say the least. At least all survived.

At the mothership now! Started (again) Path of exile! I tried it a good few times, but never was able to stick to it. It might sound stupid a shallow, but I just hated that my character even at higher levels looked like a homeless guy no matter what gear I put on him. So this time I got myself one of the cheaper packs with full set of angel looking armour, then currency tab and a few extra tabs for items. Found Arc witch build and my learning started. Really love it now and learned so much more by following build progression.

And wtf is happening with all this popularity of Tarkov? It exploded. A lot of newbies moan about the game already...

Basically top streamers paid to stream and streams having loot drops enabled.
    Once it ends i guarantee numbers will go back to normal.

I got a nice NV scope during the drops :P

Dcully wrote: »
    Basically top streamers paid to stream and streams having loot drops enabled.
    Once it ends i guarantee numbers will go back to normal.

I got a nice NV scope during the drops :P

no streamer was paid to stream EFT afaik, popularity was a bit of a snowball effect with the loot drops

lots of exposure for the game though

no streamer was paid to stream EFT afaik, popularity was a bit of a snowball effect with the loot drops

Hmmm. Surely the likes of Dr Disrespect were paid to play it

From what im hearing in the ETF community they were paid to play it but nothing official.
    Either way now the promotion has ended they are not playing anymore,its back to just the usual streamers there from the beginning.
    Yeah Dr Disrespect being one of them.

I was supposed to stay away from strategy games but I picked up Hearts of Iron 4 last night for a quick game as France. Went to bed at 2am.

H. H. Asquith

Hmmm. Surely the likes of Dr Disrespect were paid to play it

Streamers always mark the stream "Sponsored" as its in Twitch TOS

"You agree that your Broadcaster Content will comply with the FTC's Guidelines Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising"

Dr.Disrespect saw the game was the top game to Twitch and jumped on the bandwagon for views

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I started playing TW Warhammer 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Picked up "shortest path to earth". It's harder to get into than FTL, but I've only been at it for a few hours. Shows potential.

Advertisement