Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Playing The Talos Principle atm, man this game is really great. If you enjoy puzzles it's a must to play, rumours of a sequel and it will be an instant buy for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shadow of the Tomb Raider. So far it's similar to the others with less of an open world. Crashed on me which I just took as a sign to go to bed. Hopefully it's not a recurring thing.
    I remember when arrows would be one shot kill. Now I have guys attacking me with arrows in their necks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider. So far it's similar to the others with less of an open world. Crashed on me which I just took as a sign to go to bed. Hopefully it's not a recurring thing.
    I remember when arrows would be one shot kill. Now I have guys attacking me with arrows in their necks

Well thats your problem there,you need to hit them in the knee:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

kowloon wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, Crusader Kings 2 has gone free to play for the base game and for the time being one of the DLCs is free on Steam.

I tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance but can't manage the combat at all.

CK2 is excellence itself. I never really found the KCD combat that easy, but I found the story and setting worthwhile.

Imperator Rome is one, got after the last patch but one. The family element is far inferior to CK2 still, but the game works fine.

RDR2 is now stable, barring slight freezes, but a control pad is probably needed. Online is a bit barebones for now, but is so far free of the K/D ratio loons and cheats who infest other similar online games.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I finished Metro Exodus over the weekend. It's definitely the best of the series and really one of the best single player FPS's I've played in ages and probably ever.

I played Metro 2033 & Last Light about 5+ years ago, and really enjoyed both. I always meant to return to both but never got around to it. I got the "bad" ending in Exodus, so I decided I'd take that oppertunity, go back and play through the whole series once more getting the "good" ending in the last game.

Re-downloaded Metro 2033 on Steam and loaded it up - PhysX error. After solving that, I played through it for a few minutes - it felt so clunky and the FOV was so limiting. Ended up buying the Redux version which is much better to play now.

At the minute I'm about 25% of the way through Metro 2033 Redux, it really still is a great shooter but it's probably best to look for the Redux version now instead.

On another note, the original Metro 2033 was used as a benchmark for so long given how demanding it was, it was funny to see it run at 200fps on 1440p with maxed settings, I think I had to run it at medium back when I played it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Still blasting through Witcher 3:Blood and Wine. For a DLC it has some amount of content. Massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Was about to complete Half-Life 2 for the first time but restarted because I found the 'updated' version which is a graphics buff. Might as well.

Devil May Cry 5 because I finally got media foundation fix working. Currently a few missions into Hell and Hell mode. It's f*cking brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Was about to complete Half-Life 2 for the first time but restarted because I found the 'updated' version which is a graphics buff. Might as well.

I'd have never played it only for it came out on the orange box. I just looked it up and played it 12 years ago. I wonder how it holds up playing it in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Honestly I was loving it. Classic story progression and level design. New weapons/mechanics are introduced incredibly naturally (no handholding, immersion breaking tutorials). Like Doom 1993 and F.E.A.R I think it not only holds up but it actually puts a lot of modern shooters to shame.

I had to uninstall Bioshock 2 Remastered though even though I thought it might be decent because it just performed like ass when I tried to stream it. Really really bad frame freezing every few seconds. The audio of the bullets being extremely quiet was also STILL unfixed which is pretty bad form for an apparent remaster.

EDIT: HL2 Updated version for anyone interested: https://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/

Use
    ./hl2.sh #%command%

in the launch options if it CTDs on linux.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well thats your problem there,you need to hit them in the knee:P

Reported!

:pac:

Besides don't they just become guards then? Never played Skyrim, but as far as I know. And I want less guards.
    Well finished the campaign anyway so will go back and do the tombs I missed and some side stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Well finished the campaign anyway so will go back and do the tombs I missed and some side stuff

I've never been able to do that.

Once I complete the campaign in a game I find it very hard to go back so I do all the side mission and collectable stuff just before the last story mission.

I mean I'll do it today. It's very rare I can go back after time away. Breath of the Wild was the last one I went back to to do all the shrines.

The tombs were a let down in Shadow OTTR. I played it on release so my memory could be bad but afair there was only about 4 of them and very easy to complete also.

Number of tombs
    9 tombs in the main game and 7 DLC.
    I've done the main game ones and have 2 of the DLC left to do

Number of tombs
    9 tombs in the main game and 7 DLC.
    I've done the main game ones and have 2 of the DLC left to do

My memory must be getting bad but I definitely remember them being easy as I wasn't stuck once.

Well all done and uninstalled now after 27 hours, according to Steam.
    Some day maybe she'll solve the mystery of who ties all that rope onto the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

pUisszd.png

CcOEPmS.jpg

Its happening again!!!!

I plan to finish it this time!

You're watching Twin Peaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I'm knee deep in Shadow Tactics - Blades of the Shogun and loving it. Gets the brain going.

thanks for this, enjoying it. Only finished the first 3 missions so far (actually i have not quite finished 3rd but nearly there.) Really don't have a lot of time atm so unlikely that I will complete it before my xbox pass runs out. Enjoying it though.

I might just buy commandos 2 on steam after, I did play the first one many years ago, but tbh I was probably too impatient at teh time to fully appreciate.

Other than that next league in path of exile launches on 14 December. That is a really good free to play, non pay to win, Diablo II like game. Buying additional stash tabs and a currency tab is more or less essential from a quality of life point of view though, but you can try it before you decide if you want to.

Every few months they start a new league with fresh mechanics so everyone starts on a level playing field with new characters and no assets. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Taylor365 wrote: »

Its happening again!!!!

I plan to finish it this time!

RDR2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's Skyrim folks... :)

I'm still playing CoD WWII that came in the Humble Monthly. Prestiged last night so I'm back at level 1 and will undoubtedly play loads more over the weekend. For someone who's not great at FPS any more, I still consistently rank in the top 3 of my team, so I'm pretty pleased with that. But my gods, CoD players are such whingy fks. Everyone is a "hacker" despite clear evidence to the contrary via the kill cam. Bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Surviving Mars is a decent enough game!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Warhammer 40'000: Space Marine

Only discovered this through an old Totalbiscuit vid, and OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST 3RD PERSON SHOOTER I'VE PLAYED SINCE VANQUISH!

It's only €5 in the sales right now, too - get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Warhammer 40'000: Space Marine

Only discovered this through an old Totalbiscuit vid, and OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST 3RD PERSON SHOOTER I'VE PLAYED SINCE VANQUISH!

It's only €5 in the sales right now, too - get it!!

Bought it on release, satisfying chunk of a game - the jetpack on some of the missions is brilliant, as is the soundtrack

Valkyrie Run is a beautiful piece of gameplay and music combined.

Think I got it on Plus for PS3. Kept meaning to try it after seeing some gameplay. Looks pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bought it on release, satisfying chunk of a game - the jetpack on some of the missions is brilliant, as is the soundtrack

Valkyrie Run is a beautiful piece of gameplay and music combined.

Every day it blows my goddamn mind that there's no 3rd person shooter Space Marine game.

Go find all the cast offs from Bioware's heyday. Hand them the IP. Hoover up dumptrucks of cash. Make me a happy little boy child.

If you look at something like Mass Effect Andromeda, the combat was pretty satisfying mechanically, but set within the 40k universe you would have so much more room to have a visceral, head-chopping, chainswording experience. It would be glorious.

Games Workshop, with a few notable exceptions, like Virmintide and Total War, seem to mostly be interested in making asset-flipping shovelware with their IP attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gbear wrote: »
    Every day it blows my goddamn mind that there's no 3rd person shooter Space Marine game.

Go find all the cast offs from Bioware's heyday. Hand them the IP. Hoover up dumptrucks of cash. Make me a happy little boy child.

If you look at something like Mass Effect Andromeda, the combat was pretty satisfying mechanically, but set within the 40k universe you would have so much more room to have a visceral, head-chopping, chainswording experience. It would be glorious.

Games Workshop, with a few notable exceptions, like Virmintide and Total War, seem to mostly be interested in making asset-flipping shovelware with their IP attached to it.

That WH40KSM looks good. I always thought it was a RTS or Turn based with the name of it. It honestly has a name like a RTS or turn based game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's Skyrim folks... :)

I'm still playing CoD WWII that came in the Humble Monthly. Prestiged last night so I'm back at level 1 and will undoubtedly play loads more over the weekend. For someone who's not great at FPS any more, I still consistently rank in the top 3 of my team, so I'm pretty pleased with that. But my gods, CoD players are such whingy fks. Everyone is a "hacker" despite clear evidence to the contrary via the kill cam. Bless them.

Possibly silly question but did you play the campaign? It's my only interest in this game.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Middle Earth:Shadow of War.
    Its more of teh same really from the first game with capture mechanics built in. Only about 25% through the story and ill loosing the will to live. All the areas seem the same, uninstalling I think.

Advertisement