Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    In fairness, there's just as much "it's only a flu", "only old people die" etc.

Both sides have left the thread impossible to follow.

Proportionality in response to this virus is all I ask for. and I think the lockdown people are further from that then the open up people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I am not a fan of the Governance approach we have to this crisis and I do not think the NPHET model is fit for purpose. Plus this crisis has shown that we need Slaintecare ASAP (with resources and accountability for the HSE).

However, we are now in Level 5 and it is up to every single one of us to make sure it works - whether it works or not will come down to personal behaviour. It is a lighter regime than the first lock-down and it is imperative that the concessions given this time stay within parameters. There is also no point getting caught up in the inconsistencies.

I do think we need a tougher approach from the Gardai in respect to the social gatherings. They have powers and these should be used if needed. But the Garda Commissioner is right - if people behave then it is not needed.

Some things I am planning to do-

- Wash hands, socially distance, limit contacts etc.
    - avoid RTÉ and negativity.
    - think about my own family unit.
    - keep in contact with family and friends - zoom is free for 1to1 chats and 40 mins for group chats.
    - bake soda breads - sweet and savoury.
    - do themed food days - I will be doing these in the next six weeks around the rugby so Italian is the theme today and French next week. (It will be curry for the English game!)
    - Make a new recipe every week. Try new foods.
    - Rather than buying prepared meals see can i make them instead.
    - Buy from some of the interesting online shops including delis and fish mongers
    (Kish Fish and eatmorefish.ie)
    - take a short walk before and after work of WFH.
    - do a big walk on weekends. Challenge is interesting places within 5km with a photographic record.
    - have our own thanksgiving - we will pick a Sunday in November, enjoy a big roast meal and binge watch a series.
    - do the big pre-Christmas House clean in the next few weeks.
    - put up the decorations by 1 December - make it a thing. Combine with mulled wine and Christmas movies.
    - use the free trial or reduced periods for different streaming sites. Disney, Apple TV, NOW TV etc.

It will be Level 3 in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I am not a fan of the Governance approach we have to this crisis and I do not think the NPHET model is fit for purpose. Plus this crisis has shown that we need Slaintecare ASAP (with resources and accountability for the HSE).

However, we are now in Level 5 and it is up to every single one of us to make sure it works - whether it works or not will come down to personal behaviour. It is a lighter regime than the first lock-down and it is imperative that the concessions given this time stay within parameters. There is also no point getting caught up in the inconsistencies.

I do think we need a tougher approach from the Gardai in respect to the social gatherings. They have powers and these should be used if needed. But the Garda Commissioner is right - if people behave then it is not needed.

Some things I am planning to do-

- Wash hands, socially distance, limit contacts etc.
    - avoid RTÉ and negativity.
    - think about my own family unit.
    - keep in contact with family and friends - zoom is free for 1to1 chats and 40 mins for group chats.
    - bake soda breads - sweet and savoury.
    - do themed food days - I will be doing these in the next six weeks around the rugby so Italian is the theme today and French next week. (It will be curry for the English game!)
    - Make a new recipe every week. Try new foods.
    - Rather than buying prepared meals see can i make them instead.
    - Buy from some of the interesting online shops including delis and fish mongers
    (Kish Fish and eatmorefiah.ie)
    - take a short walk before and after work of WFH.
    - do a big walk on weekends. Challenge is interesting places within 5km with a photographic record.
    - have our own thanksgiving - we will pick a Sunday in November, enjoy a big roast meal and binge watch a series.
    - do the big pre-Christmas House clean in the next few weeks.
    - put up the decorations by 1 December - make it a thing. Combine with mulled wine and Christmas movies.
    - use the free trial or reduced periods for different streaming sites. Disney, Apple TV, NOW TV etc.

It will be Level 3 in no time.

that all sounds great but boredom or passing the time is the least of many peoples worries with these lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

manniot2 wrote: »
    that all sounds great but boredom or passing the time is the least of many peoples worries with these lockdowns.

Well I think the underlying theme of this is - focus on what I can do and not on what I can’t do. The last thing I want is to be here again in lockdown but it is what it is and best to make the best out of it. A lot of what I will be doing is intended to manage my physical and mental health through healthier eating and exercise.

And I am fully aware (and you can look at my posts) of the damage this is causing to small businesses, loss of jobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This is awful. Don't know how patients aren't being tested when being transferred to different hospital this weather. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070291.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think the majority of people on here questioning the rolling lockdown model are still largely complying with the restrictions as it's the only show in town really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Eod100 wrote: »
    This is awful. Don't know how patients aren't being tested when being transferred to different hospital this weather. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070291.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

And full testing of all other hospital staff who use communal areas and shared equipment will not take place before Monday. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

manniot2 wrote: »

I live alone so I can relate to this. However, maybe try find the meaning of this challenge on front of us.

Live happens for you not to you.

I think by focusing on the meaning by that I mean look at this challenge as a gift of time to learn more, appreciate more and you will be free of the pain.

Us Irish are a strong and resilient bunch. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I have to say the communications 'buy in' strategy for latest restrictions from the government is ineffective at best and non-existent at worst. Use of interactive multimedia that illustrates how virus spreads, and steps needed for suppression has been minimal.Take the index case that leads to say 40 odd infections, this could be used as a centrepiece for.a visual marketing campaign, as a public health broadcast over web and television to explain how cases quickly lead to clusters and consequences for public health and health system.

Slogans are no longer working, ' Stay Safe' etc. worked back in March but is redundant now. I'm constantly reminded of Coronavirus risk via radio and on public transport but I'd argue this type of repetitive and intrusive communications is counter-prodyctive as pandemic fatigue sets in. We need more innovative and informative communication strategies (that avoid condescension) to get people's attention and ultimately buy-in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

How are we in level 5 when all the shops are open -woodies, b and q,argos, mobile phone shops, chippers etc also most people are still at work strange one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thread has become practically unreadable now, morphing into the ‘relaxation....’ thread. The same posters posting disinformation and whinging about destruction of economies, lives and mental health.

When the arch harridan Ciara Kelly is the hero of the thread you know it’s in the sewer.

Thread used to be a great resource and all but very little point when facts get screamed down by fantasy.

Twice yesterday posters claimed people aren't responsible for their own actions while not indicating who WAS so yeah, thats this threads new normal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

mean gene wrote: »
    How are we in level 5 when all the shops are open -woodies, b and q,argos, mobile phone shops, chippers etc also most people are still at work strange one

Exactly, the authorities may think and tell us we're in a strict level 5 lockdown but there's so many exemptions that its hard to convince public that we need to behave like we did in March/April.

I have to say the communications 'buy in' strategy for latest restrictions from the government is ineffective at best and non-existent at worst. Use of interactive multimedia that illustrates how virus spreads has been minimal.Take the index case that leads to say 40 odd infections, this could be used as a centrepiece fora visual marketing campaign, broadcast over web and TV as advertisement to explain how cases quickly lead to clusters and consequences for public health and health system.

Slogans are no longer working, ' Stay Safe' etc. worked back in March but is redundant now. I'm constantly reminded of Coronavirus risk via radio and on public transport but I'd argue this type of repetitive and intrusive communications is counter-prodyctive as pandemic fatigue sets in. We need more innovative and informative communication strategies (that avoid condescension) to get people's attention and ultimately buy-in.

Hah yeah reminds me of a county council vehicle I saw during this week, plastered with Covid posters, and the big one showing what 2 metres looks like on the back of the cab panel. Inside the cab were 4 workers squished together on the front seats. I like undoubtedly many others have come to learn of the supernatural power of a bright yellow covid poster in all sorts of tricky situations. That yellow ink will probably be discovered to be the cure for cancer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Great to see Level 5 restrictions have worked, huge drop in numbers since Thursday.

At this rate we’ll be zero cases by next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Cases doubling week on week in the 10-14 age group and almost doubling in the 15-19.
    Mid term coming at the right time.

530391.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

prunudo wrote: »
    Exactly, the authorities may think and tell us we're in a strict level 5 lockdown but there's so many exemptions that its hard to convince public that we need to behave like we did in March/April.

It's an unfair comparison tbf.

Peoples behaviour is considerly better now. Masks are worn by almost everyone. Sanitiser is in the every shop. People naturally distant from each other.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Great to see Level 5 restrictions have worked, huge drop in numbers since Thursday.

and there are some commenters on The Journal and Facebook who actually believe this!! "should have gone to Level 5 sooner, its already working"!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cases doubling week on week in the 10-14 age group and almost doubling in the 15-19.
    Mid term coming at the right time.

530391.png

Big increase in most age groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Covid compliance officer in the local petrol station yesterday on a power trip lining everyone up exactly on the spots in the deli queue.
    Tensions were needlessly heightened by her carry on, people were socially distancing just fine before she intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mean gene wrote: »
    Yeah it's a completely different beast to March/April/May, very loose "lockdown"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Covid compliance officer in the local petrol station yesterday on a power trip lining everyone up exactly on the spots in the deli queue.
    Tensions were needlessly heightened by her carry on, people were socially distancing just fine before she intervened.

Tensions were heightened by being asked to stand on a spot on the ground?

Must have been a lot of hanger in that line for the Deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yeh I think people now have a much better idea what two metres is and most naturally fall into that in a queue .Was in Aldi on Thursday and the queue was massive for the wooden toys .Everyone had a mask , everyone naturally fell in to a 2 metre spacing .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

6 wrote: »
    It's an unfair comparison tbf.

Peoples behaviour is considerly better now. Masks are worn by almost everyone. Sanitiser is in the every shop. People naturally distant from each other.

Absolutely, but there's so many reasons to be out and about now its more like the end of May or start June now. They are going on about it being serious as we're in a level 5 lockdown, and while technically correct, its not what people imagine the worst level should be.
    Just think there's a disconnect between where those in charge think we are and where the public think we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Sounds absolutely terrifying.

Those deli queues are war zones at the best of times.

Stay strong brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1024/1173638-coronavirus-world/?fbclid=IwAR0-zjMADvAC6bh8NfzEVmzaEuygOxr-ZhO-Dn6tcFOcu_gk8Cs0zFqv0nk
    The European Union's disease control agency has joined frantic health workers to sound the alarm over a coronavirus surge across the continent, as the World Health Organization warned of an "exponential" rise in infections.

Even countries that avoided severe outbreaks during Europe's first wave of contagion in the spring have watched their case numbers surge, with Germany's death toll passing 10,000.

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Big increase in most age groups

True but every school going age group has increased more than every other age group. :eek: Might have something to do with schools. Of course correlation does not mean causation.

530392.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Zero covid? We will have negative Covid where dead people start coming back to life by next week.

What a time to be alive.

shinzon wrote: »

They should take our example. Let the testing and contact and trace system falter. Numbers stop rising then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I think it's good there's some checks taking place, the fact she had to line people up suggests a problem?

This said I'd have very serious doubt she would have any authority to intervene in anyway, certainly interact with manager /owner and then report but directing general public is a red herring.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭AUDI20

Great to see someone doing the job they are suppose to be doing. Fair play

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement