Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

fair enough but that doesn't mean there arn't problems with other batches

question regarding this vira stuff.. I read an rte article stating the hse brought it in bulk.. didnt any one post was it being used else where outiside of schools... like nursinh home hospital entrances etc.
    I had a bad experience a while back pre covid. I used the door sanitiser at an unamed hospital and by the time I got up to ICU my hands were red, sore and swollen. Ended up using hibiscrub up there instead the rest of the time. mentioned here in march as I was looking for hand sanitizer/hibiscrub to carry myself instead of using ones at the shop door.

The important question is are any other hcws using it unknowlingly when dealing with patients?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Kicking off in Naples as the governed attempts to lock down again.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1319778759109640195?s=21

Looks like the first place to rise up against this bollox. Saw the videos the poluce were on the run, lockdown is on it's way out. Not long until Guy Fawkes night now if they announce more measures between now and then which I am sure they will the place is going to erupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

manniot2 wrote: »
    Rolling out Tony for a dose of propaganda tonight. When will people wake up.

After The Late Late is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes but if I understand that correctly (and maybe I don't so am totally open to correction), the positivity rate is only accurate if we are testing everyone who has come into contact with the virus.

It is bound to be hugely inaccurate if we have let close contacts of known positive cases slip through the net.

A spokesperson for the HSE basically said on RTE radio 1 at some time between 8.10 and 8:40am on Wed morning (while I was in the car) that anyone who is being left to contact trace for themselves and isn't able to do it will NOT be helped to do so by them.

Add that to the numbers who just won't bother their hole to trace their contacts and we are heading for some numbers of community transmission in the coming weeks
    If the positivity rate increases, it means different things:
    you're not testing enough (we're over 100k a week)
    You're only testing people with specific symptoms (pretty much anyone who needs a test, gets a test)
    There's massive community spread

From the reports I've seen 2000-2500 positive cases didn't have their contact's traced. Of those 2500, they have on average 4 close contacts (what the HSE deem close contacts), so a pool of 10,000 people to trace.
    Of the 10,000, only ~12% (1200) will actually turn out to be positive and 60% of them will develop symptoms. So the 60% will end up being traced.

No if out R0 was 4 like back in March, and it was hard to get a test etc... those missed contacts would be a serious issue, not so much now. It still will cause secondary infections etc... but the way the media would have us believe it's all hell broke loose.

Also please remember, there's quite a few identified close contacts who wont even turn up for a test and 50% won't go for their 7 day test (if they were negative at day zero)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Last weekend a colleague tested positive for C-19.

They informed us via text message immediately. I was happy to rule myself out as a close contact as I am being cautious in the extreme, but there were a number of my colleagues who were close contacts.

These colleagues did not attend work on Monday due to a genuine fear that they may have Covid19. However, the HSE was yet to even contact the positive case to ask for their close contact list, never mind contacting my other colleagues.

The positive case phoned the HSE on Monday and again on Tuesday but was told they would have to wait, until finally on Wednesday they found out via RTE news that they would have to do their own tracking and tracing.

In the meantime, our CEO was demanding that the close contacts came to work until otherwise instructed by the HSE. Easy to blame the CEO on this one but remember that the HSE said nothing to the general public about how under pressure they were until WEDNESDAY MORNING

These colleagues of mine didn't come to work, but you can be sure that some employees in some organisations did. The potential for infection because of this is enormous.

That is absolutely shocking and I believe every word. Companies following the HSE guidelines and if the HSE isn't doing their job properly, it looks as if people are dossing from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Kicking off in Naples as the governor attempts to lock down again.

I got very confused there as the video stalled, I thought they where using a march full of cars on the road to protest.. and I was going to say what an ingenious way of protesting but also social distancing at the same time.. haha must be tired.. night all.

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Oh I know. I'm self employed myself too.

It gets even weirder because a chap who owns a business we deal with said he has to be down 30% to get the wage subsidy scheme or he'll be screwed.
    So he reckons he's down 25% roughly.
    So guess what happens next...... he's turning away orders to fall into line with criteria or he'd be going under.
    It's insane. You have businesses turning away orders now if they're lucky enough to get some.
    It's a mess.

Yeah it's a mess and they did introduce a €120 a week allowance for sole traders to earn and still keep the pandemic payment.... is that €120 sales or profit. They just mentioned earn €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Beautiful. Halloween night is the night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

They have had 400 deaths from 6m population but were forced inside for 4 months straight regardless as a national response.
    No wonder they are furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its all BS.
    Just step back and look at the carry on.
    • People walking about with face shields. - not worth a dam
    • Perspex Screens at shop tills. : - a joke
    • Closing small shops, pubs, cafes etc yet the likes of Tesco and lidl have shopping aisles jammed less than 2m apart filled with Alcohol, Electrical items etc : A farce and a slap in the face to small Business
    • HSE staff such as senior Dentists asked to do Covid testing. Ok this is within reason but what's not within reason is to continue paying them surgeons wages while doing the work of a lab tech. Yet its ok to tell Joe bloggs he can't work and must live off 350 per week and less in cases.
    • Garda blocking traffic to abuse peoples freedom of movement. As if anyone who is not going to work etc is going to own up to them assh0l3s
    • None stop coverage by RTE : - there's no way in hell I'm paying my TV licence again.

Face shields are not virus proof, either from catching or from spreading covid but they increase the percentage chances of you not spreading or catching.

Perspex screens, a joke ? They prevent droplets from being passed from customers to employee, therefore the transmission of covid.

Pubs and cafes are not essential, supermarkets are. You NEED what they sell, nobody needs a cappuccino, a Guinness and a slice of chocolate ganache ffs.

Paying a dentist or a surgeon to do covid testing. It’s not legal to pay them other than for their job title, what they are employed AS, regardless of the tasks they are asked to undertake... they are still a dentist, still a surgeon. If you ask a bus driver who finishes early to fill buses up with petrol to complete his last hour of work, you got to pay him as a bus driver not a mechanic. He is there, ready, able and willing to drive a bus....it’s illegal.

Nobody is abusing freedom of movement, covid is simply restricting it.

It’s a pandemic, every state broadcaster worldwide is covering it but it’s not non stop. Tomorrow’s schedule indicates a grand total of ZERO programs on covid. Therefore it will be only receiving news coverage, MINUTES out of 46 hours of broadcasting on two channels.

• Advertisement

'Australia’s ABC has reported the principal of the East Preston Islamic College in Melbourne has said the family of the child who attended school while infectious with Covid-19 is considering leaving the area after being devastated that it has led to the virus spreading.

The family had been isolating, but was told by the Victorian health department that two of the family’s children could return to school. English is not their first language, and it was interpreted that this meant all three children could go back to school, too.

The child was meant to keep isolating, and tested positive on Wednesday.

Now four new cases connected to the outbreak of 32 cases were reported on Saturday and around 800 people in the northern suburbs of Melbourne are currently isolating and being tested.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Yeah it's a mess and they did introduce a €120 a week allowance for sole traders to earn and still keep the pandemic payment.... is that €120 sales or profit. They just mentioned earn €120.

I honestly don't know mate. It's just baffling with all the rules and the crazy thing is they're pushing people back to the old days of doing cash jobs coz people cant afford to lose customers but also cant afford to go over the threshold for turnover so the big loser is the economy.
    It's nuts. Its all counter productive for the economy.
    The stupid rules they bring in are so out of touch with what happens in reality that it ends up forcing more people to do the cash thing.
    Even if ya take something that I'd know nothing about like say hair dressing... So do ya think hair dressers aren't aren't goin around cutting clients hair in private houses to ensure they keep their custom after lockdown?
    Course they are. So now they're getting paid and no tax.
    I'd do it. I'll happily admit it. Wouldn't you?

GT89 wrote: »
    Looks like the first place to rise up against this bollox. Saw the videos the poluce were on the run, lockdown is on it's way out. Not long until Guy Fawkes night now if they announce more measures between now and then which I am sure they will the place is going to erupt.

Seen a few rereg conspiracy theory and similar arseology accounts go on about guy fawkes night in the last few weeks, which grifters site are ye getting this stuff from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

They have had 400 deaths from 6m population but were forced inside for 4 months straight regardless as a national response.
    No wonder they are furious.

The end is near for these physcopaths

I honestly don't know mate. It's just baffling with all the rules and the crazy thing is they're pushing people back to the old days of doing cash jobs coz people cant afford to lose customers but also cant afford to go over the threshold for turnover so the big loser is the economy.
    It's nuts. Its all counter productive for the economy.
    The stupid rules they bring in are so out of touch with what happens in reality that it ends up forcing more people to do the cash thing.
    Even if ya take something that I'd know nothing about like say hair dressing... So do ya think hair dressers aren't aren't goin around cutting clients hair in private houses to ensure they keep their custom after lockdown?
    Course they are. So now they're getting paid and no tax.
    I'd do it. I'll happily admit it. Wouldn't you?

Of course I'd do it. Without a doubt.
    My only issue is a lot of sole traders still have bills, loan repayments, insurance, need to stock up for Brexit etc... According to the Government, you have to be ceased trading to claim PUP. That's a little bloody hard when you still need to pay bills.

So you either claim PUP and keep trading, scamming Welfare, but come the end of the year tax returns, do you take a chance and scam Revenue?
    I'd rather screw over welfare than revenue!
    Revenue have a lot of power to recoup taxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

DubInMeath wrote: »
    We thousands of posts on this site claiming that the dole is the easy life and most on it don't want off it. Now suddenly a lot of the same posters making these claims are worried about people having to go on the dole.
    Lets not kid ourselves that this sudden concern is because they are actually worried about the effects this would have on those unlucky enough to be out of work due to covod or any other reason, but all about the potential effects on their personal finances.

Same thing with the usual shills on here trying to make political hay out of covid on the back of people getting it and those that died.

Before you ask, yes I'm working. Might not be next week or the week after, or I could be fine given the industry that I work in. Just depends on the whims of a few shareholders, same as before covid and as will be in the future.

Dole is easy when you add in HAP, back to school allowance, fuel allowance, medical card, free creche etc.

People with mortgages of 1400 a month don't have the safety of HAP paying your whole months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well yes its hard to compute when they're not actually getting the 350.

So someone on over 400 might get 350 but that's not minimum wage is it?
    Then say someone on 300 gets 250 and there's a scale that sliding.

The figures are there on Revenue website. You should really check these things out before you make a tool of yourself.

Nobody is in "bliss" - It doesn't help when you slag off the lower earners.

What about rent, bills, mortgage too...

Firstly, anyone on minimum wage is on slightly north of €400 per week working a full 40-hr week.

Secondly, the sliding scale thing is a recently thought up idea to cut the major ramification costs of all this.

Finally, if someone on a min-wage job is able to pot around at home (less commute+lunch expenses) and end up with more disposable income in a very limited market in what the heck they can actually buy - then it is a bliss.

PS: I'm not slagging off lower earners, I'm firmly in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Dole is easy when you add in HAP, back to school allowance, fuel allowance, medical card, free creche etc.

People with mortgages of 1400 a month don't have the safety of HAP paying your whole months rent.

HAP isn't something handed out with the dole. Not everyone on a low income/social welfare is fortunate to secure a HAP tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

froog wrote: »
    garda checkpoints are utterly useless. the gangs of young people having house parties are not driving long distances, or driving at all.
    Allinall wrote: »
    The threat of fines will make a big difference.

Exactly.

All it takes is a couple of fines and people will get the message very quickly.

I think that we are inevitably moving towards population acceptance of living with covid and vulnerable looking after themselves. I believe that the general population at large will agree to deaths of those in 80's and accept ICU deaths as a necessary evil, to allow majority of country/economy survive.

Horrible but true. By the way, my elderly mother would agree.

I think that we are inevitably moving towards population acceptance of living with covid and vulnerable looking after themselves. I believe that the general population at large will agree to deaths of those in 80's and accept ICU deaths as a necessary evil, to allow majority of country/economy survive.

You are wrong and misguided. Also what do you thinks happens when the elderly population fill the ICU capacity in record numbers? Other people magically stop needing ICU? Try suggesting your hypothesis to our emergency care teams nationwide, see what traction that gets you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

You are wrong and misguided.

Ahh, see, you are conflating my opinion on what society will ultimately decide with my personal opinion on what is the correct course of action. I simply stated my forecast. So perhaps calm the cacks with your accusation that my opinion is "misguided" - I'm simply stating my view on how this pans out.

Edit: I see you've added to it:
    You are wrong and misguided. Also what do you thinks happens when the elderly population fill the ICU capacity in record numbers? Other people magically stop needing ICU? Try suggesting your hypothesis to our emergency care teams nationwide, see what traction that gets you.

Again, I said what I think population will decide. You try to argue in an emotional manner, designed to elicit emotion, that I'm not concerned about deaths, but if you care to re-read my post, you'll see that I've simply offered by view on what the population will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Over 80,000 people hospitalised with covid in the EU as of this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sardonicat wrote: »
    HAP isn't something handed out with the dole. Not everyone on a low income/social welfare is fortunate to secure a HAP tenancy.

Thanks for backing up my point about the pup payment.

The poster said people here used to give out about the dole.

Now they are on it they realise it's not a lot.

My point being people who are on the dole before covid have all those added benefits including HAP that newly qualified pup receiptents don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That is absolutely shocking and I believe every word. Companies following the HSE guidelines and if the HSE isn't doing their job properly, it looks as if people are dossing from work.

I don't think the employers should get off unblemished here either. We are in the middle of global pandemic and their staff are trying to do the right thing and they either don't care or don't trust the people they chose to hire in the first place. Neither paints them in a great light.

Ahh, see, you are conflating my opinion on what society will ultimately decide with my personal opinion on what is the correct course of action. I simply stated my forecast. So perhaps calm the cacks with your accusation that my opinion is "misguided" - I'm simply stating my view on how this pans out.

Edit: I see you've added to it:

Again, I said what I think population will decide. You try to argue in an emotional manner, designed to elicit emotion, that I'm not concerned about deaths, but if you care to re-read my post, you'll see that I've simply offered by view on what the population will do.

Ok then, fair enough, then I respectively disagree with your opinion.

Society won't dictate that, elected governments and public health teams ultimately will, and thank goodness for that. There is no overwhelming evidence to support your opinion, we would have to enter the most bleakness of rsituations before that were to become in anyway a reality and thankfully we are not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

speckle wrote: »
    I presume you are not refering to my post...all I said was I was concerned .. and none off the rest that you just posted above?

Not refering to your post speckle, just in general.

People working get a medical card, though FG have made that even more difficult, and last time I checked any one working could get a under 6 gp card.
    People on reasonable good money get state funded child care and HAP isn't given out with the dole though landlords seem to have a love hate relationship with it.

No look, I know and BELIEVE me I know... And no I wouldn't mess with Revenue, everything has to tally up. But at the same time, I'll use the hair dressers example again, do ya really think Mary from No.2 is gonna go 6 weeks or longer without a perm? So lets say Mary's usual stylist refuses to do it for covid reasons what happens?
    Mary finds a person who will do it. (this person is already on PUP) They call round and do it for cash. Mary is delighted with the job.
    Now Mary wont go back to the other person who was previously doing it.
    So the person obeying the rules has lost a customer. the tax payer gets zero, mary is chuffed and the new stylist gets paid more coz theres no tax.
    I'm not sure what profession you're in and I'm not encouraging any hair dressing but you get what I'm saying?

Oh don't misunderstand, I full agree with everything you have said.
    And in your example, the law abiding hairstylist looses a regular customer they had for years. So they don;t do the job and claim PUP and loose a life long customer or do the job for cash (which is a no no) or do the job for free (at a loss) they are screwed in all scenarios.

I know the hairdressing analogy maybe wrong (with hairdressers closed), but a graphic designer, photographer, wedding singer and so so many more occupations are in the same boat.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Over 80,000 people hospitalised with covid in the EU as of this evening

I'm really hoping, as much as many including myself disagreed with the Governments flipflopping about with levels, that they pulled the trigger early compared to the rest of Europe. I fear the second wave in Europe will cause a lot of deaths and more long term effects with long covid and missed/cancelled healthcare.

NPHET for all it's many many faults (and they have a lot) raised the issue well before we surpassed our previous peak (we're now ~40% over our peak) some parts of Europe are 3-4x over their first peak, which is a scary number.

Yes I know testing was crap everywhere back then etc...
    Yes I know hospitalization and deaths are a lower % of confirmed cased now etc...
    But the very same was said in America (cases increasing and deaths falling etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,706 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is anyone thinking of using the daily new case numbers for playing the Lotto with? Some weird combinations during the week 1066 (Battle Of Hastings), today we had 777 ( a fine aeroplane).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement