Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,745 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

True but every school going age group has increased more than every other age group. :eek: Might have something to do with schools. Of course correlation does not mean causation.

530392.png

Didn't the Korean study suggest that the 10-14 age bracket could be the "best" at transmitting Covid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

True but every school going age group has increased more than every other age group. :eek: Might have something to do with schools. Of course correlation does not mean causation.

530392.png

Oh no, someone is going to come along with a graph about pirates or something that they got at their FETAC level 1 statistics night class. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gruffalux wrote: »
    They should take our example. Let the testing and contact and trace system falter. Numbers stop rising then.

Well Berlin have issues now also

https://twitter.com/SiobhanDowling/status/1319900406961635328?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cases doubling week on week in the 10-14 age group and almost doubling in the 15-19.
    Mid term coming at the right time.

530391.png

Also a large increase in the age group of their parents.

Must be a lot of bar still open on the QT.

But it’s not the schools...

Blondini wrote: »
    Oh no, someone is going to come along with a graph about pirates or something that they got at their FETAC level 1 statistics night class. Cringe.

None of that transmission is happening indoors in cramped over crowded poorly ventilated rooms.

Because "data".

Parents are picking it up ahhhh, out in the community somewhere :confused: and bringing it home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I think it's good there's some checks taking place, the fact she had to line people up suggests a problem?

This said I'd have very serious doubt she would have any authority to intervene in anyway, certainly interact with manager /owner and then report but directing general public is a red herring.

Was thinking that. She has the owners authority to instruct people or ask them to exit the premises, soon as it gets heated though she needs to be very wary.
    Her involvement brings more problems than solving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Also a large increase in the age group of their parents.

Must be a lot of bar still open on the QT.

But it’s not the schools...

It clearly isn't. The reproductive rate has dropped to 1, and the schools are open. The data you are looking at predates the impact of nationwide level 3. So, yes, it was and is the pubs and social gatherings. Young adults have, by some margin, the highest infection rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Another proud sheep here.

This week one of my kids sent me a facebook post they were disgusted by where people in a large midlands town were being invited to participate in a 'peaceful' no mask protest. The intention was to gather and then en masse enter the largest supermarket in town and spread out to infiltrate the whole building thus making known their opinion to the poor masked sheep. The organisers and anyone who was attracted to participate in such a manouevre are thundering gobshytes of very low intellect and not the giant brains they foolishly imagine themselves to be leading the sheeple from darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People need to stop using the Spring as a baseline for comparing hospitalizations and ICU admissions against cases. It is clear that cases in Europe and beyond were in the thousands (some in the 5 digits) back then. Any comparison to first wave graphs as a meaningful barometer for majority of Countries is redundant as it ignores the fact that testing was not at level it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I have to say the communications 'buy in' strategy for latest restrictions from the government is ineffective at best and non-existent at worst. Use of interactive multimedia that illustrates how virus spreads, and steps needed for suppression has been minimal.Take the index case that leads to say 40 odd infections, this could be used as a centrepiece for.a visual marketing campaign, as a public health broadcast over web and television to explain how cases quickly lead to clusters and consequences for public health and health system.

Slogans are no longer working, ' Stay Safe' etc. worked back in March but is redundant now. I'm constantly reminded of Coronavirus risk via radio and on public transport but I'd argue this type of repetitive and intrusive communications is counter-prodyctive as pandemic fatigue sets in. We need more innovative and informative communication strategies (that avoid condescension) to get people's attention and ultimately buy-in.

Was saying as much to a friend a a few days ago. Communication has been really awful, almost a complete failure.

But I do get exasperated when I see and hear people saying Ireland is the only country to have restrictions, when Wales is totally locked down from today as just the closest example.

It’s just like February in many respects, only I think it will be ultimately be much worse as people have lost any fear.

There are more than 4000 people in hospital in the Czech Republic with a population just twice ours.

France and Belgium are on the way to a catastrophe with their health systems which are leagues ahead of ours.

Why people think we will be any different is puzzling.

• Advertisement

It clearly isn't. The reproductive rate has dropped to 1, and the schools are open. The data you are looking at predates the impact of nationwide level 3. So, yes, it was and is the pubs and social gatherings. Young adults have, by some margin, the highest infection rates.
    Prof Nolan said the reproductive rate is estimated at around 1.3 and 1.4

Boggles wrote: »

That was based on data up until Tuesday. We have had 3 further days of flat case numbers. Dr Nolan's numbers will update next week.

Was saying as much to a friend a a few days ago. Communication has been really awful, almost a complete failure.

But I do get exasperated when I see and hear people saying Ireland is the only country to have restrictions, when Wales is totally locked down from today as just the closest example.

It’s just like February in many respects, only I think it will be ultimately be much worse as people have lost any fear.

There are more than 4000 people in hospital in the Czech Republic with a population just twice ours.

France and Belgium are on the way to a catastrophe with their health systems which are leagues ahead of ours.

Why people think we will be any different is puzzling.

Indeed, people love to paint this picture that we have one of most restrictive measures as if we are this massive outlier/exception. We are not, we were just slightly ahead of certain European countries who have been slow to react to impacts of a second wave.I have no doubt that if we had remained in Level 2 restrictions our case numbers would be much higher

Go to Victoria if you want to experience what restrictive measures really feel like. A heads up, you will be forced into a 2-week mandatory quarantine on arrival, something that doesn't exist as a requirement on this island.

That was based on data up until Tuesday. We have had 3 further days of flat case numbers. Dr Nolan's numbers will update next week.

Sorry "we"?

Da Fuq?

You mean you have pulled an R number out of you arsé?

Show your work if that isn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Gruffalux wrote: »
    This week one of my kids sent me a facebook post they were disgusted by where people in a large midlands town were being invited to participate in a 'peaceful' no mask protest. The intention was to gather and then en masse enter the largest supermarket in town and spread out to infiltrate the whole building thus making known their opinion to the poor masked sheep. The organisers and anyone who was attracted to participate in such a manouevre are thundering gobshytes of very low intellect and not the giant brains they foolishly imagine themselves to be leading the sheeple from darkness.

Now you're just taking me out of context.
    Hang on to your veiled insults for elsewhere, I'm sure you'll find somewhere on your social media network for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I believe that's called "pulling an Irish".

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/irish-media-needs-to-take-a-look-at-how-it-is-covering-pandemic-1.4389265
    Whilst I agree that the media are definitely contributing to the anxiety people feel, it's really more the contention that actually does exist between NPHET, HSE and government that gets people on edge.

Also I want to know what their metric is for saying mental health problems didn't rise during the last lockdown, because personally I'm a fucking shadow of my former self even if I didn't access any mental health services; not to be flippant, but I think about suicide on the regular these days, and worry about many friends and family who are in similarly fragile places. With no social interaction, no entertainment, the job losses and evictions on the way, winter, there's absolutely no way most people are getting out unscathed and it's probably healthier to acknowledge the mental scars.

Weekly or bi-weekly figures, I don't really know about that. Yeah could work I guess. I dunno.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

I actually don't see the problem with people doing their own contacting lazy gits

Sorry "we"?

Da Fuq?

You mean you have pulled an R number out of you arsé?

Show your work if that isn't the case.

If you don't think 3 more days of flat cases numbers will reduce the estimate of the reproductive rate, then I suggest you read the details of the models Dr Nolan uses. It is all publicly available.

If you don't think 3 more days of flat cases numbers will reduce the estimate of the reproductive rate, then I suggest you read the details of the models Dr Nolan uses. It is all publicly available.

I didn't suggest anything.

You have declared the reproductive number to be at 1.

I want you to back that up with whatever modelling you have done to come to that figure.

It's a simple enough request, so in your own good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CofMixture

Covid compliance officer in the local petrol station yesterday on a power trip lining everyone up exactly on the spots in the deli queue.
    Tensions were needlessly heightened by her carry on, people were socially distancing just fine before she intervened.

That fact that you're being mocked for this boggles my mind. I've come around to thinking recently that there's a whole section of our society that crave being told what to think and do - that a part of them love these harsh restrictions and the blame game that goes with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

CofMixture wrote: »
    That fact that you're being mocked for this boggles my mind. I've come around to thinking recently that there's a whole section of our society that crave being told what to think and do - that a part of them love these harsh restrictions and the blame game that goes with it.
    You're probably right; in my part time job as a dominiatrix, business is absolutely booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

mean gene wrote: »
    I actually don't see the problem with people doing their own contacting lazy gits

Me either tbh. Like if you get your positive test do you just throw your phone out the window? I'd like to think if I had it I'd ring or text people I was in contact with over the previous couple of days and give them the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mean gene wrote: »

Because it can be awkward and embarrassing, particularly if you initiated the contact, so a lot of people will chicken out.

CofMixture wrote: »

They were asked to stand on a spot on the floor.

That is some serious snowflaking if that "anecdote" has upset you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cases doubling week on week in the 10-14 age group and almost doubling in the 15-19.
    Mid term coming at the right time.

530391.png
    But how can this be? Schools are not a source of transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Me either tbh. Like if you get your positive test do you just throw your phone out the window? I'd like to think if I had it I'd ring or text people I was in contact with over the previous couple of days and give them the heads up.
    Aside from the fact that many people would feel uncomfortable making the call, the tracing system allows to track a chain of infections, to better understand how and where it was spreading.

The infamous couple who infected 56 others could only have been identified through a formal tracing system.

s1ippy wrote: »
    You're probably right; in my part time job as a dominiatrix, business is absolutely booming.

Apparently Irish political parties are big into the old whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

s1ippy wrote: »
    I believe that's called "pulling an Irish".

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/irish-media-needs-to-take-a-look-at-how-it-is-covering-pandemic-1.4389265
    Whilst I agree that the media are definitely contributing to the anxiety people feel, it's really more the contention that actually does exist between NPHET, HSE and government that gets people on edge.

Also I want to know what their metric is for saying mental health problems didn't rise during the last lockdown, because personally I'm a fucking shadow of my former self even if I didn't access any mental health services; not to be flippant, but I think about suicide on the regular these days, and worry about many friends and family who are in similarly fragile places. With no social interaction, no entertainment, the job losses and evictions on the way, winter, there's absolutely no way most people are getting out unscathed and it's probably healthier to acknowledge the mental scars.

Weekly or bi-weekly figures, I don't really know about that. Yeah could work I guess. I dunno.

There was an interesting article on the German and polish Media during the week quoting Angela merrkle saying that they will have uncontrollable spread of the virus by the end of next week, ask will further restrictions be implement she replied that it appears the majority of german nationals have decided to live there lives with covid and accept the consequences of that.
    I didn't see any reports on Irish media in relation to it

I didn't suggest anything.

You have declared the reproductive number to be at 1.

I want you to back that up with whatever modelling you have done to come to that figure.

It's a simple enough request, so in your own good time.

I've been using this model. You need to assemble the daily data in Ireland yourself. I use the swab data from the hub. Currently getting a r estimate of 1.03. let me know if your calculations show something different.

https://github.com/rtcovidlive/covid-model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 CofMixture

They were asked to stand on a spot on the floor.

That is some serious snowflaking if that "anecdote" has upset you

The fact it's happening on a societal level like we're back in junior infants is worrying yeah.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement