Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

what do ye make of alwent goldbar, eurogene and munster progressive etc offering him now, looks a fine bull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Derryolam Impeccable-
    Fantastic looking animal alright. Serious front shoulders on him. I'll eat my cap if he stays below 10% for calving difficulty.:D

Probably won't, I'd still chance him though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sold this LGL bull yesterday in Ennis, 380Kg made €1050, born end of feb.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Fine looking weanling there Patsy. I was in Ennis myself yesterday...wouldn't normally be in at the Tuesday sale but wanted to pick up a few to bring up numbers for the Summer. Thought that there was a lot of poor stock in there but I suppose it's a bit late in the year now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

White Bear on the loose;

That's some bull all right. Should have named him Giant Polar Bear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭limo_100

LZF, how accurate are his gestation figures, I have a doll due to him next Monday but looking at her this AM Id swear she will calve in the next few days

what sort stock is he throwing

how did she go on charlie?? what was the quality like from LZF??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

limo_100 wrote: »
    I'm using IS4 at the minute I'v put him on three heifers in the last few weeks he's hard to get my man just had some left over so I got lucky, i'd say he can be got if you ask though

Nope any that are left are floating about in technicians pots.

Serious bull but the bull himself didn't look great, very leggy but breeds great stuff

Nope any that are left are floating about in technicians pots.

Serious bull but the bull himself didn't look great, very leggy but breeds great stuff

I after putting him on a few strong limousin heifers I actully have one for morning was thinking of putting limo on her but ill put IS4 on her as I wont get the chance again. Shes an ADX from an ALO cow so should be a nice combination. Does anyone know if he if BDGP approved if being using and I forgot to think about that. Hes a 5star with an index of 146. How did his stock come bogman??

I only got bulls from him of course.:rolleyes: Great shape and heavy weanlings. I'd say he's a little strong for heifers myself.

Anybody else that I've talked too v happy with the females and excellent temprement

I only got bulls from him of course.:rolleyes: Great shape and heavy weanlings. I'd say he's a little strong for heifers myself.

Anybody else that I've talked too v happy with the females and excellent temprement

these are strong heifers they should be over the the 600kg mark by next september hopefully, I actully thought he was easy calving tilli looked up his figures on icbf yesterday. Are you using any of the new sim bulls in the book?? Av 2 kez here sept born wouldn't be that keen on them and av a cow up to ZBF today so i'll see if he's better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Nice bull. LGL has produced the goods for me so far anyway but its funny that the golden fellas are always wanted more. I was talking to a finisher that was buying only golden charloais and he told me the golden ones finish easier and that's why they are dearer.

I sold three LGL bulls a few weeks ago on the day of the bloody storm so prices were back a bit. The golden one was 320 kg and born at mid April. The other two were march born and one was 390 kg and the other 340 kg. I was giving them a kg of nuts each for the last two weeks after weaning but I think weaning is pointless really as it made no difference to price from what I saw.

Gold fella €955
    Heavy white €895
    Lighter White €855

vjxAHmn.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Well no more than kovu having to wait an eternity for her heifer to calve, I have a third calver in calve to Kjb ai'ed on the 5th of Feb and still no sign of her calving. I have her and 2 others on a restricted diet but god she is still huge. A bit apprehensive now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Well no more than kovu having to wait an eternity for her heifer to calve, I have a third calver in calve to Kjb ai'ed on the 5th of Feb and still no sign of her calving. I have her and 2 others on a restricted diet but god she is still huge. A bit apprehensive now:eek:

Murphy's law - she calved tonight on her own. A pbr bull calf. I try to calf them outside and leave them out, but brought them in tonight, given the woeful forecast for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

KJB bull ready for the mart here, carried 298 days, 520 kg now and born on Jan28 , from big BB cow but he is lacking height, great muscle and width to him though.
    Should have him gone already but time just slipped by, just weaned in the last 3 weeks. About 150kg of meal in him now.
    Think he is for Roscommon Tuesday next week.
    Would like to think he is worth 1350+ but maybe too late in the year to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what breed has the shortest gestation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

padraigmck wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity does anyone know what breed has the shortest gestation?

Without being 100% sure I have a feeling that Angus are the shortest of the beef breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Speckled park are very short and so are Belgium blue.

Miname wrote: »
    Speckled park are very short and so are Belgium blue.

Blues are short but Angus are shorter. Jersey are the shortest of the lot but won't be to manny on this thread using them.

Shortest gestation beef bull in AI is KYA. That's why the dairy lads go mad for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Blues are short but Angus are shorter. Jersey are the shortest of the lot but won't be to manny on this thread using them.

Shortest gestation beef bull in AI is KYA. That's why the dairy lads go mad for him

Is the a new LM bull from powerful with short gestation?

Farrell wrote: »
    Is the a new LM bull from powerful with short gestation?

Short by Limo standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Kovu wrote: »
    Strange, it's taken by Maria Kelly who's normally an excellent photographer of livestock and usually gets them looking their best.

Farmers have got used to seeing bulls used to being fed for photos.....

ICBF got the photo taken of him, if you look at their gene ireland catalogue, they don't really care....

That's what I was told....

A bull that's fed for showing wont do the business when it comes to jumping. Any of those show bulls that go into AI normally have to go on a diet for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

I have found powerful genetics to promise a lot based on very low reliability figures. Dancer comes to mind he was sold as being suitable for heifers in the beginning now he in or around 9% difficulty. Royalty fees are excessive on top of pricey straws .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Salerchamp

I have found powerful genetics to promise a lot based on very low reliability figures. Dancer comes to mind he was sold as being suitable for heifers in the beginning now he in or around 9% difficulty. Royalty fees are excessive on top of pricey straws .

Don't Powerful Genetics have the ownership of straws off that LM bull Sympa? Last I heard his straws were over 150 quid a pop! Is he still being used much or is the price a big deterrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Sympa is €250 a straw now and only being used for embryo work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Salerchamp

Big money there! Speaking of prices of straws.....

What's the most you've seen going for straws? I remember hearing the CH bull TEXAN-GIE had straws hitting the hundreds of euros mark too, don't know of his straws still being available either

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Vantastic straws were going for €1000 - €1200 per straw at one stage. I was at a sale once we're his straws were up for auction and unsold at €900.

and no guarantee of quality not to mention the risk of an inspection!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Vantastic straws were going for €1000 - €1200 per straw at one stage. I was at a sale once we're his straws were up for auction and unsold at €900.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think they were available from Powerful Genetics for €25 a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Vantastic is in the bottom 1% for calving, within the breed. Guys chasing rosettes rather than profit.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement