Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Lovely animal :) was he easily calved?

He's belong to the girlfriends father, ya she calved herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I scratch my head when people say they eat more :confused:
    I have sims, lim and hereford, FRxherf and the odd chx and I can say I notice no difference between them. Although I will say that the herefords are greedy feckers at the nut trough. :pac:

Without a doubt they eat more. We've kept them all now at this stage and can honestly say the lim is the easiest kept cow of the lot. Easy keep in condition over the winter and rear a calf at same time.

FRX have a tendency to fall apart if autumn calving and need serious supplementation if you want to keep them at 365 calving interval. Also need to be weaned that bit earlier if spring calved to give them a chance put on some condition before heading in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

J DEERE wrote: »
    Without a doubt they eat more. We've kept them all now at this stage and can honestly say the lim is the easiest kept cow of the lot. Easy keep in condition over the winter and rear a calf at same time.

FRX have a tendency to fall apart if autumn calving and need serious supplementation if you want to keep them at 365 calving interval. Also need to be weaned that bit earlier if spring calved to give them a chance put on some condition before heading in

I've a few limo x fr and the early autumn Calvers I've no issue with going back in calf and they do milk off their backs and look pretty hungry in the spring. The late autumn Calvers always end up in bits and pure hassle to try and get back in calf and rear the calf. I reckon a lots to do with the extra 5 or 6 weeks grass their getting into them before housing.

Miname wrote: »
    I've a few limo x fr and the early autumn Calvers I've no issue with going back in calf and they do milk off their backs and look pretty hungry in the spring. The late autumn Calvers always end up in bits and pure hassle to try and get back in calf and rear the calf. I reckon a lots to do with the extra 5 or 6 weeks grass their getting into them before housing.

When do you calf early autumn Calvers? I've noticed a lot of farmers have different ideas of what autumn calving is. We go from August-October with heifers calving that bit earlier in July. Few lads around here calve from November and consider them Autumn calves

J DEERE wrote: »
    When do you calf early autumn Calvers? I've noticed a lot of farmers have different ideas of what autumn calving is. We go from August-October with heifers calving that bit earlier in July. Few lads around here calve from November and consider them Autumn calves
    August September time. Bulls getting eight weeks this year then held off and back in in for dec January and February calving. My calving spread is all over the place. I've four in to calve at the moment and then nothing for a month . Then there's seven between that and the early spring ones. It's a nightmare, I'm going to let some slip from autumn to spring this year and I've kept the last two from spring to go autumn. Anything I don't like that hasn't gone in calf is getting gate.
    The October November cows with a bit of friesain melt altogether but then again I should be probably stuffing them with meal.

• Advertisement

August September time. Bulls getting eight weeks this year then held off and back in in for dec January and February calving. My calving spread is all over the place. I've four in to calve at the moment and then nothing for a month . Then there's seven between that and the early spring ones. It's a nightmare, I'm going to let some slip from autumn to spring this year and I've kept the last two from spring to go autumn. Anything I don't like that hasn't gone in calf is getting gate.
    The October November cows with a bit of friesain melt altogether but then again I should be probably stuffing them with meal.

Much the same here. Went all AI three years ago and some of the Spring Calvers fell into April and May. Made the decision this year to let them run to the autumn herd. Badly need a teaser bull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Got the latest catalogues yesterday, is it just me or are S1565 (Eurogene) & CH2199 (PG) the same bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Farrell wrote: »
    Got the latest catalogues yesterday, is it just me or are S1565 (Eurogene) & CH2199 (PG) the same bull?

If you put S1565 into ICBF bull search, it goes to the page for CH2199. So I guess so.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

If you put S1565 into ICBF bull search, it goes to the page for CH2199. So I guess so.

Hopefully he's a good breeder so, or are the all chasing maternal stars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yeah He would have been brought in origionally on an "S code" which is limited to 2000 (I think) doses. When it looked like he would be more popular they had to apply for a full code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I am trying to get organised for next years ai'ing and could do with a bit of advice, I have 4 lmxfr that I hope to AI next year, they are out of the limousin bull hca and cows are bfxhol 75%\25%. What bull would suit them ideally Limousin. Thanks.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I am trying to get organised for next years ai'ing and could do with a bit of advice, I have 4 lmxfr that I hope to AI next year, they are out of the limousin bull hca and cows are bfxhol 75%\25%. What bull would suit them ideally Limousin. Thanks.
    Not too up to date on ai limo but all I'll suggest is something with plenty of muscle. I've guinea pigged a fair few of these types of animals with various breeds and the best match seems to be a really muscly limo. Blonde comes too fine. I'd a charlaois from one today and he came way too big. There a bit hit and miss with char. Sp came nice enough but nothing fancy. Sh came ok if you got heifers, I got all Bulls. If I remember il post up pics if I remember when I'm checking them tomorrow.

I always found ADX to be a great bull to bring a lot of squareness to his offspring. His heifers don't grow the tallest though so avoid on small cows. FL21 is a good bull too. Not easy calving, but serious growth and great shape to the hips. My two pence anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭limo_100

lads how our the ADX heifers getting on with breeding have two coming up just wondering should I sell them or bull in 6weeks??

limo_100 wrote: »
    lads how our the ADX heifers getting on with breeding have two coming up just wondering should I sell them or bull in 6weeks??
    Lack of milk is the biggest problem. Only one calved here so far and she has very little milk. ICBF figures showing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I have three ZAG calves off the same type of cow calved this month. All unassisted and growing well with good muscle. Very happy with them. He's 5* for both maternal and terminal but low reliability though so he might be 1* in a few months the way those things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Andy Gray

Mac Taylor wrote:

Are these maiden heifers? What are you looking to breed? Weanlings, replacements finished cattle? What ai company you deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Andy Gray wrote: »
    Are these maiden heifers? What are you looking to breed? Weanlings, replacements finished cattle? What ai company you deal with?

Sorry should have given a bit more Information. These are maiden heifers that I would like to breed replacements off, looking to add a bit of muscle and compactness to them as height will not be a problem, deal with most of the AI companies and a friendly AI man who will hold staws for me aswell. I do a bit of pedigree breeding and am fairly update on limousins, but have not ever breed from dairy xbreds so looking for advice from those who are already doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you ever tried OZS? He's easy calved on cows and works well on bigger framed leggy cows, puts muscle, shape and style into them. I'll have some heifers off him calving to RIO in the spring hopefully.

Just noticed you're talking about maiden heifers, have never used OZS on them. Maybe he'd be a bit risky on heifers.
    EBY seems to be well liked on here, easier calved, not great for milk but should be some coming from the heifers side.

tanko wrote: »
    Have you ever tried OZS? He's easy calved on cows and works well on bigger framed leggy cows, puts muscle, shape and style into them. I'll have some heifers off him calving to RIO in the spring hopefully.

Just noticed you're talking about maiden heifers, have never used OZS on them. Maybe he'd be a bit risky on heifers.
    EBY seems to be well liked on here, easier calved, not great for milk but should be some coming from the heifers side.

I've used ozs and got Bulls on maidens. I think his straws are hard got now.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

I use OZS on maidens for the last few years with no trouble two weeks ago i calved 2 2year old maidens on the same day to him and got to bloody bulls :mad: i'm thinking of using on dit now instead of him

limo_100 wrote: »
    I use OZS on maidens for the last few years with no trouble two weeks ago i calved 2 2year old maidens on the same day to him and got to bloody bulls :mad: i'm thinking of using on dit now instead of him

On dit is throwing super stock and wouldn't be hard calved.

On dit is throwing super stock and wouldn't be hard calved.
    Have you seen his figures? proven in France too. I used him this year on a purebred cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

i see in the journo dovea have added wilodge joskin to the catalogue, fine looking bull whatever way he works out, they seemed to have improved their limo bulls alot

Have you seen his figures? proven in France too. I used him this year on a purebred cow.

Serious bull! When the limo doc had him he was one of their top Bulls for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

LZF, how accurate are his gestation figures, I have a doll due to him next Monday but looking at her this AM Id swear she will calve in the next few days

what sort stock is he throwing

Serious bull! When the limo doc had him he was one of their top Bulls for a few years

just looking at the book there I wouldn't be to keen on some the new bulls like zag handsome and ice-cream or the tomschoice bulls, but the ZCH bull looks a serious animal I wonder should I use him instead of on-dit as hes a son

Just for anyone thats looking for quality bull I had an UTL heifer calf in the sping I didnt think an awful lot of her at the time but I can say now she is hands down one of the best heifers I have ever seen width and length feck the 5star scheme she will be kept

Anybody use much GWO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Anybody use much GWO?

I had 6 calves off him in the last two years. Terminal more that maternal I'd say. Great stylish calves that grow well. I sold two 15mth old heifers in spring for 1350 and 1250 so someone must have wanted them for breeding. I've only one weanling heifer off him kept but thinking of selling her.

Advertisement