Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

tanko wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think they were available from Powerful Genetics for €25 a few years ago.

When he died the prices of his straws went through the roof. He did breed some of the best cattle I ever saw.

Vantastic is in the bottom 1% for calving, within the breed. Guys chasing rosettes rather than profit.

Yes guys chasing rosettes but they were also chasing profits. Vantastic sons brought big money no matter how bad there calving scores were. A lot of his sons went across the water.

Double post.

Fecken triple post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyway Alan, what do you think of Vantastic?:D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't use him if I got the straws for free.
    Never mind the hard calving you could get around that with good management but his heifers hadn't a drop of milk and no matter how good an animal looks if she can't rare her calf she's no good to me.

ALANC81 wrote: »
    I wouldn't use him if I got the straws for free.
    Never mind the hard calving you could get around that with good management but his heifers hadn't a drop of milk and no matter how good an animal looks if she can't rare her calf she's no good to me.

True, i used Milbrook Dartagnan one year and kept a few heifers off him. Super looking heifers but they hadn't a drop of milk between them even though they were of milky cows.

Sligo Ai have a bull called Wilodge Enrico (WLZ) which is a son of Sympa and the mother is a full sister of Vantastic. He seems easy calved on cows and has a muscle score of 143.
    Anyone ever used him?

We sold an Enrico bull a few weeks ago for €4000 the lad who bought him never even tried to bargen down the price. He was a super bull.
    Enrico could be dodgy for milk though, when Sympa died his daughters milk score vanished and we all know about Vantastic.

Some people say Sympa was a great bull for milk but I saw Sympa daughters that could barley rare there calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi Lads
    Selling this Weanling Heifer privately
    Approx 300kg 1st May 2015
    what be good price €900 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sold an LGL heifer similar to her a few weeks back, 275Kg made €880.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

I sold an LGL heifer similar to her a few weeks back, 275Kg made €880.

Sounds about right so Patsy thanks. She is off Stock Bull, Does LGL heifers bring milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

pure breed wrote: »
    Sounds about right so Patsy thanks. She is off Stock Bull, Does LGL heifers bring milk?

Id say LGL bulls have more milk than the heifers, but hes a great bull all the same

LGL heifer -
    I was 50/50 whether I'd keep mine as a replacement as she was out of a Simmental cow. ICBF have her as one star for replacement so that made up my mind. She was lovely and quiet too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I was 50/50 whether I'd keep mine as a replacement as she was out of a Simmental cow. ICBF have her as one star for replacement so that made up my mind. She was lovely and quiet too.

I often chanced them heifers from the good maternal side and lot of them work out the finessed. I wouldn't let icbf tell me which heifer to bull, I use it as a guideline only. I bulled heifers the last few weeks that are one stars I think they will work out and if they don't they will go to the mart as a pair.

limo_100 wrote: »
    I often chanced them heifers from the good maternal side and lot of them work out the finessed. I wouldn't let icbf tell me which heifer to bull, I use it as a guideline only. I bulled heifers the last few weeks that are one stars I think they will work out and if they don't they will go to the mart as a pair.

We sold a CH Springer this year that we'd kept from our stock bull just chanced her to see what she come like when she'd be close to calving and not a sign of a udder/milk upto a wk before calving when we sold her for €1640, Honestly don't know why your man bought her except for her golden colour and she was in good nick.

I've always found the char cows I've had here to be very lacking in milk. They tend to be big framed too and so not easily kept. Having wettish land doesn't help either.

I've always found the char cows I've had here to be very lacking in milk. They tend to be big framed too and so not easily kept. Having wettish land doesn't help either.

Agree with ya shorter grazing time in our lovely rushy land too, All our CH can be traced back to when we were milking and further we get into that breed the worse for milk. Suppose there is a milky bull out there somewhere?????
    SI and LM now are way were going, although hoping AI FSZ might produce a few heifers for replacements next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Amputate them at the knees :D

Have to say I'm mightily impressed with my KCE blonde heifer that calved last month. She has a great pot of milk and he's thriving like mad. Had great craic chasing him round the shed to get him into the skulling gate for dehorning the other day :rolleyes: Only have one CH animal here now, a weaning off Alwent Hitman, her mother was a great milker so we'll see how she fares out considering she's only one star.

I know lad they can be the biggest disappointment at times, but for a good charolais can't be bet they breed the best in my opinion. But lm and si are more reliable for the milk. Im just addicted to the charolais I keep trying for them i'd say 1 in 3 work out

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Anyone using progressive genetics? Will be putting few heifers in calf hopefully early to mid march to limousin bull. Anyone have any reccomendations?

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    Anyone using progressive genetics? Will be putting few heifers in calf hopefully early to mid march to limousin bull. Anyone have any reccomendations?

I've used HCA a lot on heifers, he's a good easy calved bull but docility of his calves is poor. ZAG might be a better option, don't have any calves off him yet tho and only put him on young cows so far.

tanko wrote: »
    I've used HCA a lot on heifers, he's a good easy calved bull but docility of his calves is poor. ZAG might be a better option, don't have any calves off him yet tho and only put him on young cows so far.

Ya ive used HCA before and found him grand. Have a heifer and a 3rd calver in calf to ZAG this year so dont really know wat he's like yet. I know i had a look at the catalogue before and picked out a few i was thinking of using just dont have it to hand now and was wondering had anyone any experience of other limousin bulls.
    I dont remember seeing HCA in this yrs catalogue though. Maybe i skipped over him.
    I also have a purebred simmental heifer il be ai'ing in either may or june to a sim bull. Not a great choice in p.g though.

HCA straws were supposed to be getting scarce last year, maybe they're gone now? Lennon Frosty FTY was used a lot on heifers I think, never used him either. Think he might have docility issues, not certain about this tho.

Hopefully the new Sim bull, Curaheen Earp will turn out to be a good bull, don't know if he's suitable for heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ask your AI man if he still has any REQ or FL22 straws left in his pot. The answer will probably be no but woth a shot. " excellent bulls for heifers.

ZAG if probably the pic of the bunch at the moment. At 4.9% I think they would want to be strong heifers. Does it have to be a Limo?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

pure breed wrote: »
    We sold a CH Springer this year that we'd kept from our stock bull just chanced her to see what she come like when she'd be close to calving and not a sign of a udder/milk upto a wk before calving when we sold her for €1640, Honestly don't know why your man bought her except for her golden colour and she was in good nick.

Lads are taking calf out of them, then killing heifer for heifer prices and bucket rearing the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Nettleman wrote: »
    Lads are taking calf out of them, then killing heifer for heifer prices and bucket rearing the calf.

Yep that calf won't be registered to that heifer anyway. He'll probably end up under some really quite fr cow with 3 other calf's.

Ask your AI man if he still has any REQ or FL22 straws left in his pot. The answer will probably be no but woth a shot. " excellent bulls for heifers.

ZAG if probably the pic of the bunch at the moment. At 4.9% I think they would want to be strong heifers. Does it have to be a Limo?

Ya ZAG was the bull in my head to use. Ive a heifer to calve to him next minth so we'll soon see how his calves are.
    Just looking at last yrs catalogue, ZCH was 5* replacement at €246 and 4.7% calving difficulty and now he's at €101 and 7.10% calving difficulty.
    I prefer to use the limo's. They usually calf ok with the odd bit of help. As long as their big enough at calving thats the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ya ZAG was the bull in my head to use. Ive a heifer to calve to him next minth so we'll soon see how his calves are.
    Just looking at last yrs catalogue, ZCH was 5* replacement at €246 and 4.7% calving difficulty and now he's at €101 and 7.10% calving difficulty.
    I prefer to use the limo's. They usually calf ok with the odd bit of help. As long as their big enough at calving thats the main thing.

are you selling as weanlings? The only reason I ask is that I've had good results using GJB but I'm finishing them. Maybe not as fancy as a LM but by God do they grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

I also have a purebred simmental heifer il be ai'ing in either may or june to a sim bull. Not a great choice in p.g though.

Personally I think Anatrim Bodybuilder is the nicest bull they have, not sure if I'd use him on a heifer though. Whats her breeding do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Strongly thinking of using RIO saler on our heifers that will calve at 2 year old. Any thoughts??

Advertisement