Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

limo_100 wrote: »
    agree completely they have a poor selection they were offered the change to buy bodybuilder outright he would have being a winner for them, they turned that down, id say earp was bought on stars alone. What put you off APZ is it his inconsistency or his poor star ratings??

Earp looks more like a montbeliard than a sim. Says enough about him to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, he doesn't look great, does he?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

I heard the photo doesn't do him justice, was taken by ICBF not PG and if you look at the Gene Ireland Catalogue the ICBF do take fairly brutal ones.

Neighbour just ordered a couple of IS4 straws off them there, €20 a few left apparently.

The brother bought some of that AHC Deuter the polled Simmental yesterday and a few others.

I've had two IS4 heifers. Fierce quiet, almost like pets. I thought straws would be well gone by now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

Ya, he doesn't look great, does he?

I put IS4 on her this morning theres a few left in his tank I think i'll use them up

• Advertisement

Earp looks more like a montbeliard than a sim. Says enough about him to me.

Well I didnt bother with him yet anyway mite put him on two adx heifers as there good broad heifers and he will increse size and improve milk, I told them at the ploughing he looked like a hereford they didnt like hearing that, they said picture does him no justice

I've had two IS4 heifers. Fierce quiet, almost like pets. I taught straws would be well gone by now.

did you bull them were they well put together??

tanko wrote: »
    Eurogene have a bull called Lennon breezer, he has serious figures and is five star across breeds including docility for everything except daughters milk.
    He's not on the active bull list tho, anyone ever used him?

Used mainly in pedigree herds, only 85 births in Ireland. Interesting looking old bull (10 yrs in April). €4,200 in Roscrea in 2007. Locomotion and functionality takes a bit of a hammering in his linear type.

Serious index.

Wonder what it will do when he starts going in commercial cows?

(Just got off the phone to someone in the know apparently Docility & Gestation are what lets him down)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Used mainly in pedigree herds, only 85 births in Ireland. Interesting looking old bull (10 yrs in April). €4,200 in Roscrea in 2007. Locomotion and functionality takes a bit of a hammering in his linear type.

Serious index.

I didn't realise he's around do long. Hardly any Mas Du Clo sons in Ai now, only one I ever used was TKO, he was a super bull.
    I don't suppose you know where I could get 50 Highlander straws, he bred serious cattle and very easy calved too.

did you bull them were they well put together??
    Both from the same yellow char cow, who was short of milk. The first I had to get rid of, as she tested positive for neospora (she had aborted). Still have the second. Not the milkiest, but nice style to her.
    Here's IS4 mother, Hillcrest Joan;
    Both my heifers were similar enough to her. In colouring anyway, maybe not as classy as their Grandma.

Another thing worth mentioning is his Maternal Calving figures, only 3.6% diff. That's in the top 1% fro the Simm breed. I pulled an LGL bull backwards from my cow this year. I couldn't believe how big she was inside, when I examined her.

IS4_-Dam-Hillcrest-Joan.jpg

• Advertisement

Both from the same yellow char cow, who was short of milk. The first I had to get rid of, as she tested positive for neospora (she had aborted). Still have the second. Not the milkiest, but nice style to her.
    Here's IS4 mother;

IS4_-Dam-Hillcrest-Joan.jpg

I suppose its unfair to ask a bull to bring up a cow from very little, Id say there not over big either, its hard to get a bull with loads of milk there just not out there. We all could do with a few cows have as good as her,Hes 146 of a replacement index and hes by a bull star hugo and my uncle used to milk star hugo cows

I didn't realise he's around do long. Hardly any Mas Du Clo sons in Ai now, only one I ever used was TKO, he was a super bull.
    I don't suppose you know where I could get 50 Highlander straws, he bred serious cattle and very easy calved too.

No idea, but did you see Peter Brophy's sale there in KK recently LMx Heifers all in calf to Highlander? He's going dairy.

Your local PG/Munster salesperson, you'd be surprised what can be found...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Anyone use doveas saler bull KKB....I have a bunch of blue heifers and I want a bit of hight and no musle

March 12 On Dit bull

Today

on man thats a fair calf 380kg plus id say are you gona sell him for keep him for the winter?? he pass as a charolais in the sell no bother. did he get any creep

on man thats a fair calf 380kg plus id say are you gona sell him for keep him for the winter?? he pass as a charolais in the sell no bother. did he get any creep

Haven't decided what to do with him yet, he hasn't got any creep. The cow is one of the best I have, I try to get a heifer of her every year but she's only had one out of six so far. She's in calf to Fiston.
    According to Icbf he's got 5 stars for replacement index, docility, Carcase weight and carcase conformation and 4 stars for terminal index and daughters milk. Maybe I'll let him out with the cows next year:pac:

Haven't decided what to do with him yet, he hasn't got any creep. The cow is one of the best I have, I try to get a heifer of her every year but she's only had one out of six so far. She's in calf to Fiston.
    According to Icbf he's got 5 stars for replacement index, docility, Carcase weight and carcase conformation and 4 stars for terminal index and daughters milk. Maybe I'll let him out with the cows next year:pac:

sure he would probaly be fit to bull now already. I was told that fistons replacment figures are expected to drop of as the daughers will be bad calvers with all the muscle and they dont no where the milk figures came out of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Serious index.

(Just got off the phone to someone in the know apparently Docility & Gestation are what lets him down)
    Looking at Eurogene catalog & he's 5 stars for docility. 2.13 for daughter CI.
    YNE looks a nice bull, lighter frame

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

mikeoh wrote: »
    Anyone use doveas saler bull KKB....I have a bunch of blue heifers and I want a bit of hight and no musle

Got 3 calves off him this year one bull , sold as a suck. Kept the two heifers a roan coloured one off a milking shorthorn and a black off a Bf. Both are low sized really square cows and their two of the poorest calves we ever got. Growthy but very plain. Might/should be a different story off a blue. One thing you won't have to worry about is calving ease.Have 4 pzb heifers from dairy cows and they're way better heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Im not sure what to give the few blue heifers they have shape but lacking height....was thinking saler might be the way to go and boost the old stars abit , I dont want to chance limousin fear I get too much muscle first time out calving......the old tried and trusted shorthorns be the way to go!!!......but if salers are plain , I'd rather take small over plain

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

mikeoh wrote: »
    Im not sure what to give the few blue heifers they have shape but lacking height....was thinking saler might be the way to go and boost the old stars abit , I dont want to chance limousin fear I get too much muscle first time out calving......the old tried and trusted shorthorns be the way to go!!!......but if salers are plain , I'd rather take small over plain

A nice one wouldnt be plain tho.Would you try the bull garou. Looks a really balanced bull. Or is it all dovea you use? They have a nice new bull too ,ulsan.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Got 3 calves off him this year one bull , sold as a suck. Kept the two heifers a roan coloured one off a milking shorthorn and a black off a Bf. Both are low sized really square cows and their two of the poorest calves we ever got. Growthy but very plain. Might/should be a different story off a blue. One thing you won't have to worry about is calving ease.Have 4 pzb heifers from dairy cows and they're way better heifers

That doesn't sound too positive about Fiston were using him on a few SI;s this year and hope to get few heifers hopefully.
    Also thinking of using Voimo looks a nice Bull figures also good on ICBF.
    Has anyone tried the SI Bull Curaheen Earp last year or before ???

pure breed wrote: »
    That doesn't sound too positive about Fiston were using him on a few SI;s this year and hope to get few heifers hopefully.

Don't think he was talking about Fiston there, was about the Saler bull KKB I think.
    Fiston is a very good bull, whether his daughters will be any good as cows remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Don't think he was talking about Fiston there, was about the Saler bull KKB I think.
    Fiston is a very good bull, whether his daughters will be any good as cows remains to be seen.

Well I suppose we'll have good weanling heifers for sale then out him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

pure breed wrote: »

His straws only went out in the past couple of months so it'll be a while before there are calves on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

See that calf there now .. He presents a dilemma to me as he is 50% CH X yet as he is off a lim sire he is LM X on card .., I know boys that ask me about the card on a yellow and will not buy a yellow bull if he LM on card! Once you register a Lim Sire on a CH dam it comes up LM .. Same boys happy to buy a hairy yellow from a lim dam that has CH on card

sonnybill wrote: »
    See that calf there now .. He presents a dilemma to me as he is 50% CH X yet as he is off a lim sire he is LM X on card .., I know boys that ask me about the card on a yellow and will not buy a yellow bull if he LM on card! Once you register a Lim Sire on a CH dam it comes up LM .. Same boys happy to buy a hairy yellow from a lim dam that has CH on card

The cow is 50% CH, 25% lim and 25% HE. The calf is 62% lim, 25% CH and 12% HE.
    I'm still pi$$ed off he's not a heifer:)

I wouldn't be telling anyone whats on the card if there buying the calf they can check his bread on the board, I tell no one anything they go into the ring and that's it and if there not going enough there lots of more marts. U'd be surprised the difference in prices of some animals in different marts, I was once selling a cow a red whitehead was 650kg was getting 700 the auctioneer was saying its the best i'd get anywhere brought her to balladuff a week later 660kg 1010 and was the same auctioneer, i said to him after its alot more than 700 being the best i could get, he reared on me the f**ker I told him he had to many friends round the and he was on the take him face dropped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Some people are just daft

Advertisement