Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

More often than not I'm told at least one twin will cum backwards so keep an eye on her at calving all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

More often than not I'm told at least one twin will cum backwards so keep an eye on her at calving all the same.

Good advise but luckily that hasn't been my experience. I've had 6 sets of twins in the last five years and only one came backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I find those a lot easier than getting four legs at once :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Once Had a cow that had 5 sets of twins in her lifetime. Lovely quiet cow. Not a complete pet but she'd allow u put calves sucking under her out in the middle of the field with a bucket in front of her. With Each set of twins, one was always coming backwards!
    Have a daughter belonging to her still in herd now(one of a twin) and she's a right contrary one. Had twins herself on her second calving. Her sire was delfur t-bone from either bova or dovea. Cranky when calving but throws serious calves with great growth rates!

Has anyone used new simmental bull curaheen earp? Or have any calves on ground from him? Use progressive genetics here but there isnt too many 5* simmental bulls from them around.

• Advertisement

Yea twins run in families, have one cow here had three sets, she's 13yrs old and carrying her 15th calf.
    Seen Earp mentioned earlier in the thread, apparently he doesn't look a great bull? Has anyone got a picture of him, can't seem to find one online of him.

Ya just checking back the records there. She had 5 sets of twins and 5 more calves besides. 15 calves at 13 yrs old. Not too bad!! Took its toll on her and slowed her down a bit so she hit the road after that. Great little cow though. Found a picture of earp here but not great at posting pics yet! Know how i can upload it? He dosnt look the best alright but his stars arent half bad looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

Kovu wrote: »
    Yea twins run in families, have one cow here had three sets, she's 13yrs old and carrying her 15th calf.
    Seen Earp mentioned earlier in the thread, apparently he doesn't look a great bull? Has anyone got a picture of him, can't seem to find one online of him.

http://issuu.com/rosalish/docs/pg_beef_cat_2015_6

heres the catalog u'll find him in it

RD10 wrote: »
    Ya just checking back the records there. She had 5 sets of twins and 5 more calves besides. 15 calves at 13 yrs old. Not too bad!! Took its toll on her and slowed her down a bit so she hit the road after that. Great little cow though. Found a picture of earp here but not great at posting pics yet! Know how i can upload it? He dosnt look the best alright but his stars arent half bad looking.

You have to have at least 25 posts in order to post a photo or link, however if you can use a site like imgur/imageshack, you can post the link and I can edit it using my special powers. :D

Ya she's slowed down the last year or so and she's a right b#tch when she calves too but a great producer and consistent. She turned inside out when she got a bolus last year, totally spruced her up no end.

Has anyone used new simmental bull curaheen earp? Or have any calves on ground from him? Use progressive genetics here but there isnt too many 5* simmental bulls from them around.

I'm using IS4 at the minute I'v put him on three heifers in the last few weeks he's hard to get my man just had some left over so I got lucky, i'd say he can be got if you ask though

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »

Gosh, he's very Hereford-y looking at the back end.

Kovu wrote: »
    Gosh, he's very Hereford-y looking at the back end.

thats what I thought as well its suppose to be a bad picture and that hes actually very impressive now we will have to wait and see I suppose

thats what I thought as well its suppose to be a bad picture and that hes actually very impressive now we will have to wait and see I suppose

Strange, it's taken by Maria Kelly who's normally an excellent photographer of livestock and usually gets them looking their best.

Think i'll go ahead and use him on a few heifers in the new year. IS4 looks a nice bull too. Mainly have sim and lim cows here. Have a great 5* simmental cow here from the bull milton lord tiffany (MIF) i'd say up on 700-750kg. V.Docile, nice big bag of milk and rears a great calf each year no matter what she's ai'd to. Don't know if he's still around but remember reading in the catalogue he produces excellent daughters.

Maybe when i make the 25 posts i might get to put a picture up of her! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Think i'll go ahead and use him on a few heifers in the new year. IS4 looks a nice bull too. Mainly have sim and lim cows here. Have a great 5* simmental cow here from the bull milton lord tiffany (MIF) i'd say up on 700-750kg. V.Docile, nice big bag of milk and rears a great calf each year no matter what she's ai'd to. Don't know if he's still around but remember reading in the catalogue he produces excellent daughters.

I always think it's a bit risky using a new bull which is completely unproven for calving ease on heifers.
    If he turns out to be hard calved you could be sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Our bulls dam is milton lord tiffany. His dam was one of the biggest, longest most square cows iv ever seen. With a big bag of milk under her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bodybuilder looks a good SI option, have any of you used him?

Farrell wrote: »

was talking to someone about him whos in the know he has size width length and alot of milk so theres not much wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Farrell wrote: »

Ya I've a few incalf to him. Seen a few nice calves of him. He's not the biggest bull in the world but plenty big enough for me. He's the best sim bull pg have by a long shot

• Advertisement

Ya I've a few incalf to him. Seen a few nice calves of him. He's not the biggest bull in the world but plenty big enough for me. He's the best sim bull pg have by a long shot

when are they calving down for you?? did you have any is4 stock over the years??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

when are they calving down for you?? did you have any is4 stock over the years??

Not till late spring. I've a couple of hiefers just AI d to him, just gone 4 weeks so fingers crossed. Ya I liked is4 few good cows off him. His mother hillcrest Joan was the finest Simmental cow I've ever seen

Know what u mean re. Unproven bulls. I'd probably only use on bigger type heifers and even at that i'd still be cautious.
    I had actually been looking at bodybuilder few mnths back. Looks a fair nice bull thats leaving nice progeny behind him.

Not till late spring. I've a couple of hiefers just AI d to him, just gone 4 weeks so fingers crossed. Ya I liked is4 few good cows off him. His mother hillcrest Joan was the finest Simmental cow I've ever seen

hopefully you get the heifers you want. What were the is4 cows like big broad whatd there milk like. whats so special about joan everyone does be on about her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Whats wrong with this picture!!

killimor_in_time_kzm_rev.jpg

Taken from the Dovea beef catalog

http://www.dovea-genetics.ie/killimor-in-time.html

Nice bull, pity about the picture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

White Bear on the loose;

Derryolam Impeccable
    https://vimeo.com/117431551

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Dovea says he combines "length and style".

Well he look about half an acre long from that pic.

Jesus, if you're going to superimpose something, at least do it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

White Bear on the loose;

Derryolam Impeccable
    https://vimeo.com/117431551

Love the look of that bull!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Love the look of that bull!

Derryolam Impeccable-
    Fantastic looking animal alright. Serious front shoulders on him. I'll eat my cap if he stays below 10% for calving difficulty.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement