Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Salerchamp

New Dovea 2016 catalogue is out. I can't have it as a link as I'm a new user but check their facebook page for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Salerchamp wrote: »
    New Dovea 2016 catalogue is out. I can't have it as a link as I'm a new user but check their facebook page for it!

Here ye go

http://issuu.com/doveagenetics/docs/dovea_beef_catalogue_2016/1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Fine catalogue, i see a boardsie has a pic of one of their calves in it:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

They've included both of the Charolais they bought at the Christmas Cracker, would anyone try either of these on test?

Edit: Just noticed the straws of either won't be available till May

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Seeing that everyone is having a bash at APZ. Here is one bull I had by him this year. 400Kgs and €880 when sold.
    Born 28 Feb 2015, sold 24 Nov 2015.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »

Wasn't expecting to see that :D

Who's that now? Or the bull at least!

Kovu wrote: »
    Who's that now? Or the bull at least!

Mine :D vagabond calf!

Mine :D vagabond calf!

Nice fella! Did they let you know at least?

Kovu wrote: »
    Nice fella! Did they let you know at least?

No, I sent it to them on fb a few months back. Just went on for a snoop when Tanko said there was a boardsie calf on it. Wasn't expecting to see him pop up in front of me.

• Advertisement

Jeez, you don't miss much.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Salerchamp

I see another Vantastic son has been added to the books..... Limousin breeding will be getting very narrow if they keep using bulls from similar blood lines

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Z-9y6KILQ
    Blelack digger, 50 euros a straw
    he doesnt look mighty in this video but seems to score highly on eurostar, anyone using him on PB charolais?
    is lisnagre handsome gone from dovea catalogue, thought he looked a nice bull

Has anyone any experience of using the Limousin bull Gamin (ZGM) from Bova? He's the top ranked terminal bull across all breeds on the ICBF active bull list. He has serious terminal figures and is easy calved, only 4.6% at 91% reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Has anyone any experience of using the Limousin bull Gamin (ZGM) from Bova? He's the top ranked terminal bull across all breeds on the ICBF active bull list. He has serious terminal figures and is easy calved, only 4.6% at 91% reliability.

have 2 heifers off him from fr cows so prob not much help to you. they were v easy calved tho and at 3 weeks old showing nice muscle more so than other lims used before.lovely hips to them too.will try him on some hca second calvers this year to put a bit of style into them.

have 2 heifers off him from fr cows so prob not much help to you. they were v easy calved tho and at 3 weeks old showing nice muscle more so than other lims used before.lovely hips to them too.will try him on some hca second calvers this year to put a bit of style into them.

That's good, he seems to have the unusual combination of being a high muscle bull which is also easy calved. What do you think of your HCA heifers, I've come to the conclusion that HCA breeds better Bulls than heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

we had a Gamin heifer calf born 3 weeks ago to big ped cow, very handy born calf just fell out of the cow and after a week just started to take off and has serious backend and lots of style, a freind also has some on the ground and serious calves, we are going to use him on the char and lim maiden heifers this year,

That's good, he seems to have the unusual combination of being a high muscle bull which is also easy calved. What do you think of your HCA heifers, I've come to the conclusion that HCA breeds better Bulls than heifers.

We have a few of them from dairy herd every year and the same two lads come to buy them every year either calved or incalf.Have calved down 10 - 15 of them the last few years and theyre definately not the prettiest to look at but make up for it in other areas. very milky , quiet, they are much better calvers than they look too.some have been mad after calving but i guess that could be said for any breed. have two suckler bred ones calving this year and ill prob keep them
    edit : we sell any bulls at a few weeks so couldnt comment on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Bova are trying to push his breeding with pedigree breeders, know a few lads that have got a few calls from bova wondering had they looked him up and would they buy his straws, there was a question about his docility but it seems he is OK on that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

We have a few of them from dairy herd every year and the same two lads come to buy them every year either calved or incalf.Have calved down 10 - 15 of them the last few years and theyre definately not the prettiest to look at but make up for it in other areas. very milky , quiet, they are much better calvers than they look too.some have been mad after calving but i guess that could be said for any breed. have two suckler bred ones calving this year and ill prob keep them
    edit : we sell any bulls at a few weeks so couldnt comment on them

Great to hear, have 4 of them that I am hoping to bull this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

OZS limo is a great bull IMO. I have a 5 star black daughter of his due this week and she letting down a lovely springing .. She out of a BB cow that has good milk also but lovely springing for a heifer . I had good muscley bull calf by OZS also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Really. I've only the one HCA heifer calved so far but I can't fault her

My experience of HCA heifers is that they are inclined to have poor docility and their calving ability isn't great. ICBF figures say the same also.

I've always sold the bull calves as weanlings and looking at my ICBF profile they almost always kill out as U grades, even a few U+ grades and at heavy weights too. That's my two cents worth anyway.

sonnybill wrote: »
    OZS limo is a great bull IMO. I have a 5 star black daughter of his due this week and she letting down a lovely springing .. She out of a BB cow that has good milk also but lovely springing for a heifer . I had good muscley bull calf by OZS also

Yeah, he's a super bull, works best on bigger cows i find. What bull is the heifer in calf to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody got any recommendations for a belgian blue with ok calving figures?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

GEU from progressive 5 stars across the board.

SRI if you can get straws

DBZ

SFL from Bova is only 5.5% calving difficulty, STQ from NCBC is popular also. There's a fair bit of info about both on here.

got good calves off atg last year v easy calved. nicer calves than dbz imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks lads, looking for something for the u 16mth job, under 10% calving difficulty, lower if possible. where would I find 250-350 day live weights?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, looking for something for the u 16mth job, under 10% calving difficulty, lower if possible. where would I find 250-350 day live weights?

Download the top link here. Its an MS Excel file with all the data. Have a look under Weanling weights and weanling prices. That should give you an idea.

http://www.icbf.com/?page_id=200

Advertisement