Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Some people are just daft

I understand people asking me are they HR or AA on card but what is the fascination with CH on card if they 50/50 ch x Lm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

sonnybill wrote: »
    I understand people asking me are they HR or AA on card but what is the fascination with CH on card if they 50/50 ch x Lm ?

It magically makes the calf perceptively more Charolais-ish looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

lads iv a blackwhite had one calf on for ai in the morning going to give her a char bull was thinking either lzf, fsz, the new bull either ch2066 or hhj??

have any of used lzf what are the results like on the ground i no easy calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Everyone is saying fiston is doing the job. I'm going to try him on a big horse of a black sim in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

limo_100 wrote: »
    lads iv a blackwhite had one calf on for ai in the morning going to give her a char bull was thinking either lzf, fsz, the new bull either ch2066 or hhj??

have any of used lzf what are the results like on the ground i no easy calving.

I've never used LZF, I've heard he's easy calved and breeding decent calves but not that muscley. FSZ would give you a better muscled calf off a black whitehead cow.
    A pedigree CH breeder told me that CH2066 could turn out to be a lot harder calved than people think, he said the bull looks to have serious width across his shoulders. I suppose it all depends what degree of calving difficulty you're comfortable with.
    I'd go with Fiston.

• Advertisement

Everyone is saying fiston is doing the job. I'm going to try him on a big horse of a black sim in spring.

yeah hes all the rage in fairness I suppose theres no need to ask to much bout him I read lots bout him on here all pisitive in fairness, I have a cow up to LZF in december was just wondering what the feed back from him is like

tanko wrote: »
    I've never used LZF, I've heard he's easy calved and breeding decent calves but not that muscley. FSZ would give you a better muscled calf off a black whitehead cow.
    A pedigree CH breeder told me that CH2066 could turn out to be a lot harder calved than people think, he said the bull looks to have serious width across his shoulders. I suppose it all depends what degree of calving difficulty you're comfortable with.
    I'd go with Fiston.

This heifer doesnt seem to have a huge pill of milk I'm thinking of selling her next year with a calf at foot thats why i'm going charolais on her. I suppose FSZ would have a better impact and shes tall as I'd say FSZ works best on taller plain types, Is LZF breeding better store cattle is it??
    I think i'll pass on ch2066 for the minute wait for a mature cow so be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Fiston has better muscle and conformation, LZF has better size and frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Has anyone ever used doveas bull Hugo? It's just saying he's a red and white but I'm presuming he's Maine Anjou. He looks a serious bull, and I was thinking of maybe trying him for a few replacements.

tanko wrote: »
    Fiston has better muscle and conformation, LZF has better size and frame.

I'll go with fiston so funny enough i'v never used him I must be one of the few pg customers that haven't used him. I was at one of them Bdgp rose goulding said LZF is the only charolais bull they have that does not carry the double muscle gene for better or worse I don't know

• Advertisement

Miname wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used doveas bull Hugo? It's just saying he's a red and white but I'm presuming he's Maine Anjou. He looks a serious bull, and I was thinking of maybe trying him for a few replacements.

I think I remember someone on here had that breed and I think they said they were short of milk I'm open to correction as I know noting bout them

I think I remember someone on here had that breed and I think they said they were short of milk I'm open to correction as I know noting bout them

RobinBanks if I remember correctly. Often meant to use Hugo but always got caught with another bull.
    Knew a few men who'd always bid on the heifers if they seen the MAx breed on the board.

Kovu wrote: »
    RobinBanks if I remember correctly. Often meant to use Hugo but always got caught with another bull.
    Knew a few men who'd always bid on the heifers if they seen the MAx breed on the board.

correct and write, Were they milky do you remember?? I think they had double muscle that worked well on blues, I would check but the football is too tense :)

Can't remember to be honest! I think he had two or three, crossed them with blondes. KOY perhaps as it was off him I got the idea for a few of his straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

correct and write, Were they milky do you remember?? I think they had double muscle that worked well on blues, I would check but the football is too tense :)

I have a couple alright. Both are reasonably milky now but as 1st calvers they were poor. They have improved allot since though. Below is picture from last spring. This was her 3rd calf. She has a decent udder.

They are huge cows so you need to put a low bull on them. I use blues on mine for that reason. They have produced U and E grade calves this past 2 years.

dbCtN1nl.jpg

Can't remember to be honest! I think he had two or three, crossed them with blondes. KOY perhaps as it was off him I got the idea for a few of his straws.

Kovi, The 1st calves from the Maine Anjou cows were Malibu heifers. Both of these heifers had KOY calves this spring.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Kovi, The 1st calves from the Maine Anjou cows were Malibu heifers. Both of these heifers had KOY calves this spring.

Ah! I knew it was something involving KOY :) How are those shaping up? BA heifer here is within 24 hours of calving I'd say, 18 days over to a LM.

I have a couple alright. Both are reasonably milky now but as 1st calvers they were poor. They have improved allot since though. Below is picture from last spring. This was her 3rd calf. She has a decent udder.

They are huge cows so you need to put a low bull on them. I use blues on mine for that reason. They have produced U and E grade calves this past 2 years.

dbCtN1nl.jpg
    Where did you get them you just dont see them everywhere or anywhere?? would they be your best cows or just run or the mill??

Where did you get them you just dont see them everywhere or anywhere?? would they be your best cows or just run or the mill??

I bought them as weanlings years ago at mart. I haven't seen any sense. They are both 5 star cows but I have cows that produce better calves. For example, I have a 2 star blue cow that's much better and I have 2 lim cows that consistently breed better calves but none are as good as these 2 to calf. They will fire a calf out in seconds no matter how big the calf is. Both are also very fertile and have never repeated. From this point of view I would say they are my best cows.

I know a lad that got rid of all his. He said they had no milk and were very narrow. Very much like dairy shorthorns. I guess I've been a little luckier.

BA heifer here is within 24 hours of calving I'd say, 18 days over to a LM.

Is that the one incalf to KJB?

• Advertisement

Is that the one incalf to KJB?

Yup! Only have that one at the minute but have a PB Tarot cow incalf to KOY so here's hoping for a heifer :)

Did you buy the Maine's in a Mayo mart? I always seen both those and Galloways in strange abundance there.

Did you buy the Maine's in a Mayo mart? I always seen both those and Galloways in strange abundance there.

I did. I went to see them prior to sale. They were advertised on done deal. Couldn't agree deal on farm but got them at the mart later.

PB Tarot cow incalf to KOY so here's hoping for a heifer :)

I'm sorry I didn't use KOY on the heifers I bulled this year. I doubt I will get anymore straws off him and he is a great bull. I used queenshead altea and broomfield regentcey instead

I'm sorry I didn't use KOY on the heifers I bulled this year. I doubt I will get anymore straws off him and he is a great bull. I used queenshead altea and broomfield regentcey instead

Q-head Altea is a nice bull, lovely colour too. Am a fan of that dark ruby red on lims. Be interesting to see how the blonde crosses with her as the cow brings a heap of muscle herself. Have some straws of him with my AI man if you ever want one. I've no flask of my own so AI man stores what I ask for as I'm so nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Miname wrote: »

Hugo was a Dutch red and white, Different breed to Maine Anjou

Anybody remenber the Maine Anjou they had? Arbrite or something like that?

Hugo was a Dutch red and white, Different breed to Maine Anjou

Anybody remenber the Maine Anjou they had? Arbrite or something like that?

http://issuu.com/jennalyn11/docs/dovea_beef_catalogue_2013/3

Rn6ZfzNl.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Have a Saler cow that has scanned with twins to FTY bull from PG. anyone use him before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Feckthis wrote: »
    Have a Saler cow that has scanned with twins to FTY bull from PG. anyone use him before?

is that frosty, used him once on a heifer and ended badly, ended up a monster calf that went the full length of the jack

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Had a heifer calf to fty this year. Calved on her own. Calf Has grown into a nice heifer too. Great temperament, v.docile @7mnths now. her mother is also v.quiet so thats probably where she gets it from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Salerchamp

is that frosty, used him once on a heifer and ended badly, ended up a monster calf that went the full length of the jack

He's down as being 5.3% for calving @ 97% reliability so you would think he'd be easy calving anyway. Seeing as it's a Saler cow you would hope that calving twins shouldn't be an issue!

What breed/age was the heifer when she calved?

Advertisement