Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fox hunting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yes wolves became Alsatians and so on down that line. A Russian scientist wanted to breed a fox that wouldnt bite, he identified that it was the darker haired gene that made the dog fox more docile and when he was finished it was more or less a sheep dog he had. I am guessing this is where the smaller breeds of dog descended from. Isnt really a Fox, wolf and dog all really different variants of the Dog?

on the other hand I have never seen it myself but I have heard of jack russell bitches mating with Dog foxes. Once the deed is one you have to swoop in to save her because the Dog fox will kill her afterwards.

I don't think that it means that domestic dogs descended from foxes, but it could be possible.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/fox-dogs-wild-tame-genetics-study-news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Discodog wrote: »
    You moan about the fox but are happy to let two cubs die of starvation. Your hens are lucky to have such a caring owner.

Hmmmm I decided to spare you the full story. I hoped you had enough experience to work out what happened next.

What do you think the dog did after the vixen scattered and left the cubs?

Our hens are fed twice daily left to peck around the garden by day and have a massive shed that compares with industry standards. They also get wormed and dosed during the year and the floor changed 4 times a year. I would love to hear a better cared for hen than that and they get oats on top of their layer pellets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Odelay wrote: »
    A red coat?? It’s a green coat in Ireland.

The only people I meet that are against fox hunting tend to be ones that never tried it or know very little about it.

Try it, it’s a another way to enjoy the countryside. Doesn’t cost a fortune and very few foxes come to any harm.

Well jesus. A green coat then.

How about no.

Here's how I'd hunt a fox.
    Car. Rifle. Optics. Any other necessities.

Fox pops out, starts poking around.
    Bang, fox is dead, I feel bad for a while, but remind myself that it was necessary.

The end.

Because it was a regrettable job. Not something to define myself by.

To drag out such a tedious, minor, ultimately unimportant task into a ceremony, and celebration is pathetic.

Hey guys I killed a small animal today.

Well aren't you fcking wonderful.

I don't think that it means that domestic dogs descended from foxes, but it could be possible.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/fox-dogs-wild-tame-genetics-study-news/

You have never seen a red jack Russell or a wired hair terrier? Those are the closest things I have ever seen to a fox. The difference in smell between a dog and a fox is their diet. Foxes eat beetles which give them a nasty smell. But now foxes are becoming more urbanised and eating more domestic food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You see it's all false news spread by the Brits.Who is the "little diatribe" ? :confused:
    Don't start on fracking :pac:

No Its bull**** spread by the anti / sab extremists in the UK involved in a class war there. And yes we've ended up with a load of them after some of them were chased out of the UK by the police etc. Thankfully very few swallow this rubbish here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

gozunda wrote: »
    Not doubting your in-laws etc - they sound delightful ;) but the hunting down here is nothing like that. Pretty much as it was done by locals for hundreds of years. Hunting especially on foot with hounds is mainly used to disperse foxes and remove the occasional problem one as asked by a landowner. I've seen plenty of hunts and even the odd kill. And in my experience hounds kill the same way foxes do quickly and efficiently. There's no gentry involved and yeah there may be the odd tourist who turns up but no they tend not to know feck all tbh. It's not really surprising really.

I have zero issue with hunting for food, so much so that when a friend of mine has to have the deer on her land culled (she calls in a professional) I go and help her do the butchery. Used to be a chef before I saw sense. I still have all my knives and I know how to use them. I get to fill my freezer with venison in return. I don't think there are many here posting who have any idea of what to do when faced with 9/10 deer carcasses that need to be butchered. It ain't a pleasant job.

I've been riding since I was 8 years old. I have spent my fair share of time 'resting' in a puddle or ditch before remounting before the mud hardened. I love riding across country. Last time I went was back in Oct when a group of 10 of us took hunters out for exercise. All of us experienced riders we spent the day going along tracks, across fields (with permission), along roads - even stopped for a pint and a toilet break. We jumped, we galloped, we raced. No need or desire to chase anything except each other. We were there to ride.

Every Summer I used to exercise himself's hunter as he certainly wasn't going to do it, and that's something any stables will tell you -many of these self-styled dedicated horsey people generally don't bother to ride outside hunting season. They board the horses at riding stables who use them for hacking. Then ruck up again as the season starts.

I can shoot. I have shot. And later I ate.

I am not buying this whole fox hunting is to keep the fox population down crap. If that was true why do so many fox hunters feel the need to state 'well, the fox usually gets away', or 'we haven't even seem a fox for donkeys' - while having terrier men to make sure they do have foxes.

It's not about the thrill of the ride - drag can provide an equally thrilling ride when organised properly.
    If they are so into their riding why don't they do so in Summer? Nothing like a gallop along a long stretch of beach.

They should at least be honest. They do it because they enjoy it, and they do not enjoy it as much when there isn't a kill. They are doing it purely for their personal pleasure and the sight of blood intensifies that pleasure.

I think deriving pleasure from chasing any animal so completely outnumbered in the hope that you are there when it is killed - an animal you cannot even eat - is just barbaric. And I base that on having been there.

Lastly, the theory is the hound will snap the fox's neck. Theory and reality is often far apart. Many times the fox is ripped apart. And they scream as they die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Round here cats are fair game if in the fields, farmer lost a few sheep to toxoplasmosis a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

If anyone expresses even the slightest disdain for cruelty towards animals you'll be guaranteed Gozunda will be along to set them straight.

greencap wrote: »
    Well jesus. A green coat then.
    How about no.
    Here's how I'd unt a fox.
    Car. Rifle. Optics. Any other necessities.
    Fox pops out, starts poking around.
    Bang, fox is dead, I feel bad for a while, but remind myself that it was necessary.
    The end. Because it was a regrettable job. Not something to define myself by.
    To drag out such a tedious, minor, ultimately unimportant task into a ceremony, and celebration is pathetic.
    Hey guys I killed a small animal today.
    Well aren't you fcking wonderful.

Because it's already been explained. Hunting with hounds is rarely about a kill - its more often about dispersing foxes and making them wary of humans and livestock which shooting doesn't do. It also on occasion takes care of problem foxes when landowners ask. Maybe take it up with them.

• Advertisement

No Its bull**** spread by the anti / sab extremists in the UK involved in a class war there. And yes we've ended up with a load of them after some of them were chased out of the UK by the police etc. Thankfully very few swallow this rubbish here.

Your fantasies are amazing :)

Ok so there is this army of Brits that have all moved here & they are extremists ? You are saying that Irish people don't oppose fox hunting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No one was blaming the cats either, they were blaming your parents.

For the record I think fox hunting should be banned, equally so should allowing cats to roam. Dog owners are held accountable for damage to property, wildlife and persons. Cats should be no different. Your post is very hypocritical.

Are you actually being serious?

My God. Are we actually advocating not letting a cat out to do what is in their very nature to do?

What next? stop dogs from wagging their tails?

Oh and fox hunting absolutely should be banned as another poster said animals killing other animals like, y'know, cats, is natural and instinctual, humans do it out of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

archer22 wrote: »
    You’ve obviously never heard of the wily old fox? Very few are ever caught. They run reams around the hounds. After all foxy is in his/her own home ground.

As for the hounds being treated poorly, in what way? They are fed, watered, bedded in comfy kennels, vaccinated, treated for fleas and worms, exercised.

And then killed at around 7 years of age, cos they are no longer of any use.

I wonder if the people who defending fox hunting saying the hounds are well kept also defend greyhound racing....they are fed, watered, bedded, wormed etc and and disposed when no longer needed or injured

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I wonder if the people who defending fox hunting saying the hounds are well kept also defend greyhound racing....they are fed, watered, bedded, wormed etc and and disposed when no longer needed or injured

Different sport and not relevent. I have nothing to do with coursing or grey hound racing. Totally different breed of people are interested in the two sports.

aaakev wrote: »
    Round here cats are fair game if in the fields, farmer lost a few sheep to toxoplasmosis a few years ago

Does that include all the farmers who deliberately keep cats to kill vermin ?

Toxoplasmosis is carried by rodents, which the cat would kill, if you didn't kill the cat.

Up to half of the World's population carries Toxo - you are going to need a lot of bullets.

I find it worrying that anyone would think it’s acceptable and even enjoyable to run a defenseless fox into exhaustion, injure it and allow it to be torn apart alive by dogs. And that’s not to blame the dogs btw, they can’t help how they’re trained.
    The hunters should be ashamed of themselves as should anyone who supports them. What they do is barbaric. Culling abs and hunting for food is one thing - as much as don’t like either of them I understand the necessity. Blood sports are another kettle of fish and frankly should be illegal.

Read the actual thread and stop reading the rubbish posted up by idiots about exhaustion miles torn apart etc etc. Hounds kill foxes the same way foxes kill hare rabbits etc. quickly and efficiently. I get it you don't understand the necessity - others do.

A fox will hunt / catch / kill an animal much quicker than a pack of hounds and people on horses tracking an animal for hours.

• Advertisement

I find it worrying that anyone would think it’s acceptable and even enjoyable to run a defenseless fox into exhaustion, injure it and allow it to be torn apart alive by dogs. And that’s not to blame the dogs btw, they can’t help how they’re trained.
    The hunters should be ashamed of themselves as should anyone who supports them. What they do is barbaric. Culling abs and hunting for food is one thing - as much as don’t like either of them I understand the necessity. Blood sports are another kettle of fish and frankly should be illegal.

Read the actual thread and stop reading the rubbish posted up by idiots about exhaustion miles torn apart etc etc. Hounds kill foxes the same way foxes kill hare rabbits etc. quickly and efficiently. I get it you don't understand the necessity - others do.

A fox will hunt / catch / kill an animal much quicker than a pack of hounds and people on horses tracking an animal for hours.

Your fantasies are amazing :)Ok so there is this army of Brits that have all moved here & they are extremists ? You are saying that Irish people don't oppose fox hunting ?

I've clearly stated that the number of antis / animal right nutcases from the UK here is quite staggering. Take a look around you. Make of that what you will. It's amazing that even after independence that lot are still telling us what to do and think. Great isn't it?

I've clearly stated that the number of antis / animal right nutcases from the UK here is quite staggering. Take a look online. Make of that what you will. It's amazing that even after independance that lot are still telling us what to do and think. Great isn't it?

You should see the advertising that does be going around. "Compassion in Farming" is once crowd. Vegans spread such hate

If anyone expresses even the slightest disdain for cruelty towards animals you'll be guaranteed Gozunda will be along to set them straight.

Personal style comments eh? . And from that I can say if 'anyone expresses even the slightest disdain for antis or animal right nutters you'll be guaranteed Cartroubles' will be along to make a snide remark'.

Play the ball ...

I have watched my local Vixen lots of times. When my neighbour comes to feed her ponies the Vixen recognises her jeep. The fox comes down from the hill, where her den is, & into my garden.

My neighbour pours horse feed over the gate & after she is gone, the rats arrive to pick over what the horses leave behind. The Vixen watches the feed though a hole in my wall & will suddenly leap over the wall & then back with a rat in her mouth.

• Advertisement

I've clearly stated that the number of antis / animal right nutcases from the UK here is quite staggering. Take a look online. Make of that what you will. It's amazing that even after independance that lot are still telling us what to do and think. Great isn't it?

Ok so show us the evidence ? If it's a staggering number then why aren't we seeing the results of their extremism ? All I have ever seen is the usually half a dozen protestors from ARAN & they are hardly extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hardly fashionable. I have been involved in fox welfare for 30 years.

I find the over breeding & discarding of horse just as deplorable as fox hunting.

If the hunt has nothing to do with foxes then why not drag hunt & leave the foxes alone ?

The rest of your tome about nature ignores one key point. Nature kills for necessity, hunters kill for fun.

In what capacity?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The only people I meet that are against fox hunting tend to be ones that never tried it or know very little about it.

Try it, it’s a another way to enjoy the countryside. Doesn’t cost a fortune and very few foxes come to any harm.

I have seen both red and black coats worn.

As for doesn't cost a fortune - everything to do with keeping a horse costs a fortune. They are sinkholes in which to pour all your money. There are farriers, vets, equine dentists, feed, stabling costs.

My little old rescue pony died over the Oct bank holiday weekend (colic :( ). Only a little 11 hands high fella. I honestly can't believe how much extra cash I have now - would rather have my pony - every week there was something. And in winter :eek: - add hay, wood shavings, rugs... Have you seen the price of hay lately?!?!?

Then the hounds need to be cared for - they need food etc.

Not to mention the dry cleaning... and new jods cos ain't nothing gets those clean after a spot of puddle resting.

It's horrendously expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Hardly fashionable. I have been involved in fox welfare for 30 years.
    I find the over breeding & discarding of horse just as deplorable as fox hunting.
    If the hunt has nothing to do with foxes then why not drag hunt & leave the foxes alone ?
    The rest of your tome about nature ignores one key point. Nature kills for necessity, hunters kill for fun.
    Again you are dodging the points I made.
    There is little killing of foxes in fox hunting, perhaps 5% of fox deaths in a year.
    I have looked at the statistics on websites by anti fox-hunting groups and the statistics are laughable, with no deaths from natural causes or predation by animals or birds.
    You say you are involved in fox welfare. What is that? Do you keep foxes? Do you feed them or give them medical attention?
    You say my "tome" (ridicule?) ignores one key point, hunters kill for fun.
    I did not ignore the point that foxes are killed, and I am not a fan of fox hunting, never attended one, watched one, or taken part in one.
    Your reply ignores my main point, which is one fox is chased and might be killed, but thousands of horses are killed, many used to feed the hounds used in the hunt.

Thirty years in fox welfare! Have you ever thought about anything other than the fox? Are you concerned? Are foxes in danger of extinction?
    Where I live in the suburbs in south Co Dublin there are foxes on all the roads at night, even in the gated community where i live, and they are doing alright.
    Surely you are anti-foxhunting, not a fox welfare person.

Your point about over breeding of horses is probably wide of the mark.
    100% of horses are not good specimens, capable of running with their peers.
    When you breed a horse you might get a weak animal, or one with bad legs.
    I do not like it, but these are culled.
    The only way you will end up with no poor specimens and no culling is the elimination of all horses i.e. a total cull.

Anti fox-hunting people focus on one thing, ignoring the rest of the picture.
    You could have drag hunts. Will the hounds and horses remain or will they be destroyed?
    It is similar to people asking for steeplechase horseracing to be banned, always around Cheltenham or the Grand National, when they see it on television.
    They never think it through about what will happen to all the steeplechasing horses if there is a ban.

It would not worry me if fox-hunting was banned, but if it is it should be done over an extended period of time to allow the hound and horse population to adjust.
    I would not like to see a repeat of the Green party influence that resulted in massive Motor Tax increases for vehicles with large engines, obsoleting them overnight.

Yes wolves became Alsatians and so on down that line. A Russian scientist wanted to breed a fox that wouldnt bite, he identified that it was the darker haired gene that made the dog fox more docile and when he was finished it was more or less a sheep dog he had. I am guessing this is where the smaller breeds of dog descended from. Isnt really a Fox, wolf and dog all really different variants of the Dog?

on the other hand I have never seen it myself but I have heard of jack russell bitches mating with Dog foxes. Once the deed is one you have to swoop in to save her because the Dog fox will kill her afterwards.

The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center actually ran some test on common dog breeds to see which ones had more wolf DNA and German Shepards are waaaay down the list.

The dogs that have the most wolf DNA are : Shih Tzu, Pekinese and Samoyed. Because they are the oldest breeds and so have retained most wolf DNA.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have zero issue with hunting for food, so much so that when a friend of mine has to have the deer on her land culled (she calls in a professional) I go and help her do the butchery. Used to be a chef before I saw sense. I still have all my knives and I know how to use them. I get to fill my freezer with venison in return. I don't think there are many here posting who have any idea of what to do when faced with 9/10 deer carcasses that need to be butchered. It ain't a pleasant job.

Interesting reply. I do get the feeling that you've no love for your (ex) in-laws btw. Although your experiences don't match up to mine with regard to hunting with hounds. I know no gentry who participate - and nearly all are either locals or farmers. They do their own work and and bow to no one. You said "I am not buying this whole fox hunting is to keep the fox population down crap." Well funnily enough neither do I. It's nothing about killing everything in sight either. Most hunting does not involve a kill because often the main aim is to disperse foxes and make them wary of human and livestock. Sometines a landowner will ask for a problematic fox to be found and dealt with. I've also heard animals scream - one which sticks in my head was a big dog fox which snatched an orange cat from the yard. The screams of that cat were like nothing I can describe. I've also heard rabbits scream. And foxes when they weren't shot correctly. So yes animals do sometimes scream when being killed and I agree it's not pleasant to hear. The trouble with a lot of this type of debate is you gather the extreme squad screaming absolute bs. Unfortunately it's just too easy to feed that lot imo.

Maybe ask greyhound owners?
    Ah even more whataboutism! So far we've dealt with fashion, gentry, land rover, flat caps etc etc & now greyhounds. You really never can tell when a discussion might be dragged into the next morass ....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brianmax88

Exactly. Oh 90% of the time the fox gets away.

Goody. Only 10% of the time the dogs rip it to death .

Good stuff

So what about foxes ripping to death a new born lamb or wolf ripping a deer to death? It is a FOXHOUNDS nature to hunt and kill. It is in all dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brianmax88

I've clearly stated that the number of antis / animal right nutcases from the UK here is quite staggering. Take a look around you. Make of that what you will. It's amazing that even after independence that lot are still telling us what to do and think. Great isn't it?

They are more worried about class than the welfare of foxes. And the perception that only the upper class follow the hunt that is wrong. Most of them are on the dole and want everything for nothing

Ok so show us the evidence ? If it's a staggering number then why aren't we seeing the results of their extremism ? All I have ever seen is the usually half a dozen protestors from ARAN & they are hardly extreme.

From 'answer my question' to 'wheres the evidence' bs demands now! You don't get to call the shots. I could just as Well ask you to prove your anecdotal stories about your experiences. Plus you never answered why you were making the discussion about yourself eh?

Yes I'm relying on my own experience of these eejits here. This is a discussion forum btw not show and tell schooltime. You could of course look around you - as you said you've been minding icke wickle foxies woxies for 30 years - you've bound to come across some in that time - no?

Thankfully the same extremists idiots arn't listened to the way here they are across the water. People can spot them a mile off. Good job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭MFPM

Indeed, these clowns mustn't have got the memo.

welcome-to-ward-union-hunt.jpg

I'm against beating people to a pulp with a baseball bat though I've never tried - perhaps I should just so I know what I'm talking about? That's some logic you've got going on!
    Try it, it’s a another way to enjoy the countryside.

If you're somewhat sadistic and enjoy inflicting violence for pleasure.
    Doesn’t cost a fortune and very few foxes come to any harm.

Why chase them then, why not ride around the country-side in your finery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭MFPM

brianmax88 wrote: »
    They are more worried about class than the welfare of foxes. And the perception that only the upper class follow the hunt that is wrong. Most of them are on the dole and want everything for nothing

So you've dismissed one generalisation but then state another! There's word for that!;)

In what capacity?

As a volunteer.

Interesting reply. I do get the feeling that you've no love for your (ex) in-laws btw. Although your experiences don't match up to mine with regard to hunting with hounds. I know no gentry who participate - and nearly all are either locals or farmers. They do their own work and and bow to no one. You said "I am not buying this whole fox hunting is to keep the fox population down crap." Well funnily enough neither do I. It's nothing about killing everything in sight either. Most hunting does not involve a kill because often the main aim is to disperse foxes and make them wary of human and livestock. Sometines a landowner will ask for a problematic fox to be found and dealt with. I've also heard animals scream - one which sticks in my head was a big dog fox which snatched an orange cat from the yard. The screams of that cat were like nothing I can describe. I've also heard rabbits scream. And foxes when they weren't shot correctly. So yes animals do sometimes scream when being killed and I agree it's not pleasant to hear. The trouble with a lot of this type of debate is you gather the extreme squad screaming absolute bs. Unfortunately it's just too easy to feed that lot imo.

Here we have people claiming it's not about the foxes - it's about the ride, then why not enjoy the ride without the hunting, and in the next breath claim if fox hunting was banned and replaced with drags the hounds and horse would be killed.
    Why would that be if it's about the ride not the hunt?
    Will people quit if there is not the hunting aspect?
    In which case it is about the hunt.

A drag hunt going through will also disperse the foxes.

Most of the examples of animals screaming you have given have been as a result of other animals acting according to their nature - is that our nature so, to ride down and kill an out numbered animal? Probably is, but I had hoped we had evolved beyond needing blood to give us pleasure.
    I think needing a pack of hounds and a gaggle of mounted eejits by your side is cowardly.

I actually quite like my ex in laws, I was even sympathetic when himself busted his kneecap off a pillar while out hunting. And they are far from being 'gentry' - much as they may have aspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Heckler wrote: »
    Not saying everyone but there is a cadre of pricks who do it. Its a senseless, outdated "sport" to say the least. Game shooters I have no problem with. Running an animal into the ground is medieval. Big men on their literal high horses.

Couldn't agree any more, with any statement at all, ever.

I know sheep and poultry farmers who shoot foxes out of necessity.

But these W(anchors) on their horses larping as British gentry and blocking people from driving on roads their taxes have paid for is a joke.

Kill something if you need to but is the whole pantomime needed?

Ive had them stand out in front of me with their hands up stopping traffic. Are they legally allowed to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I go out into the country at night and kills bats with an ultrasonic beacon and a tennis racket

MFPM wrote: »
    So you've dismissed one generalisation but then state another! There's word for that!;)

Its probably true though ... :D

Again you are dodging the points I made.
    There is little killing of foxes in fox hunting, perhaps 5% of fox deaths in a year.
    I have looked at the statistics on websites by anti fox-hunting groups and the statistics are laughable, with no deaths from natural causes or predation by animals or birds.
    You say you are involved in fox welfare. What is that? Do you keep foxes? Do you feed them or give them medical attention?
    You say my "tome" (ridicule?) ignores one key point, hunters kill for fun.
    I did not ignore the point that foxes are killed, and I am not a fan of fox hunting, never attended one, watched one, or taken part in one.
    Your reply ignores my main point, which is one fox is chased and might be killed, but thousands of horses are killed, many used to feed the hounds used in the hunt.

Thirty years in fox welfare! Have you ever thought about anything other than the fox? Are you concerned? Are foxes in danger of extinction?
    Where I live in the suburbs in south Co Dublin there are foxes on all the roads at night, even in the gated community where i live, and they are doing alright.
    Surely you are anti-foxhunting, not a fox welfare person.

Your point about over breeding of horses is probably wide of the mark.
    100% of horses are not good specimens, capable of running with their peers.
    When you breed a horse you might get a weak animal, or one with bad legs.
    I do not like it, but these are culled.
    The only way you will end up with no poor specimens and no culling is the elimination of all horses i.e. a total cull.

Anti fox-hunting people focus on one thing, ignoring the rest of the picture.
    You could have drag hunts. Will the hounds and horses remain or will they be destroyed?
    It is similar to people asking for steeplechase horseracing to be banned, always around Cheltenham or the Grand National, when they see it on television.
    They never think it through about what will happen to all the steeplechasing horses if there is a ban.

It would not worry me if fox-hunting was banned, but if it is it should be done over an extended period of time to allow the hound and horse population to adjust.
    I would not like to see a repeat of the Green party influence that resulted in massive Motor Tax increases for vehicles with large engines, obsoleting them overnight.

So why hunt them if it is so ineffectual ?

I have volunteered for a major wildlife rescue. I am not concerned about populations but I am concerned about any unnecessary animal cruelty. I do not feed wild foxes. I have given many medical attention under the supervision of a vet.

Obvious I agree with your last point & I would love to see horse racing, greyhound racing & coursing fazed out - but I am not holding my breath.

Can you keep a fox as a pet? Or are they too disease ridden? Maybe better admired from a far?

• Advertisement

brianmax88 wrote: »

I am not on the dole. The old arguments. After what sane, hard working person would object to animal cruelty ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

Dunno about the dole, there's a Hunt Ball in my neck of the woods, does be a bit of a who's who event.

First they came for the socialists...

From 'answer my question' to 'wheres the evidence' bs demands now! You don't get to call the shots. I could just as Well ask you to prove your anecdotal stories about your experiences. Plus you never answered why you were making the discussion about yourself eh?

Yes I'm relying on my own experience of these eejits here. This is a discussion forum btw not show and tell schooltime. You could of course look around you - as you said you've been minding icke wickle foxes woxies for 30 years - you've bound to come across some in that time - no?

Thankfully the same extremists idiots arn't listened to the way here they are across the water. People can spot them a mile off. Good job too.

Just admit that you have no proof whatsoever.

I don't agree with or support animal rights organisations but I do support animal welfare.

You are the one using childish, pointless, terms - not me.

And this government have been very good at listening. They have finally, only 30 years behind the rest of Europe, introduced effective animal welfare law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Bloodlust. Nothing else. Dullards and cowards hiding behind the word tradition.

Why don't they just hunt themselves? Be a better outcome for society id say.

Can you keep a fox as a pet? Or are they too disease ridden? Maybe better admired from a far?

People have kept them as pets. Not disease ridden. There are a few foxes in the UK that had to be hand reared & are taken to schools for education projects. I know one that ignores rabbits & cats but will "hunt" a can of pedigree chum. But they still retain a natural nervousness & aren't suitable as pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I go out into the country at night and kills bats with an ultrasonic beacon and a tennis racket

could be a contender for a new sport in the Olympics

Is there a dress code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

As a volunteer.

Well I figured from reading this thread you were more than likely not a professional.

What kind of tasks have you been doing for the good of fox welfare over the last 30 years?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Bloodlust. Nothing else. Dullards and cowards hiding behind the word tradition.Why don't they just hunt themselves? Be a better outcome for society id say.

More snowflake sentiments ffs. Go read the thread and educate yourself and drop the soundbites ok.

Well I figured from reading this thread you were more than likely not a professional.

What kind of tasks have you been doing for the good of fox welfare over the last 30 years?

I have spent many hours with a man regarded as a world authority on the red fox.

Usually rescuing from snares, sheds, rtas etc, rehabilitation & release.

People have kept them as pets. Not disease ridden. There are a few foxes in the UK that had to be hand reared & are taken to schools for education projects. I know one that ignores rabbits & cats but will "hunt" a can of pedigree chum. But they still retain a natural nervousness & aren't suitable as pets.

I know what you mean. We had a kitten whose mother was wild. No matter how much it was coddled and minded and looked after the wildness never left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Because it's already been explained. Hunting with hounds is rarely about a kill - its more often about dispersing foxes and making them wary of humans and livestock which shooting doesn't do. It also on occasion takes care of problem foxes when landowners ask. Maybe take it up with them.

You know what, there may be some truth to that, which I hadn't perceived.
    Maybe the foxes are scattered, and don't come back.

However.

Remembering here that kills do occur.

The question I'm asking now is:

'if the hunt is actually about dispersing foxes, why is it the land barons, and chortling upper class Henry and Henrietta types that are out dressed to the nines doing this menial task'.

Surely this is the stuff of stable boys and farm hands.

Could it be the real reason is exclusivity, and the pompousness of a tradition, and should a fox suffer un-necessarily then so be it.

I think that fox hunting is just another private tennis club, or yacht club.

Except while those other two pursuits allow the individual to show off their status harmlessly, the fox hunt is reserved for the more discerning snob who also wants to engage in some needless cruelty.

Either they couldn't care less for the needless drawing out of the creatures death, or they actively want to cause suffering.

Incidentally, I'd say the average Joe these days has enough cash to spare to afford one of those fruity looking hunt uniforms, and the price of renting a horse.
    Theres nothing exclusive about this shtty creepy activity any more.
    Any scrub can join in.

Now a yacht, or a snooty country club membership, that would be a different case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement