Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Personally I don't agree with snaring foxes but if that's what you are into, that's your choice and who am I to cast judgement?

You're doing nothing illegal once the snare complies with the regulations set out under the Irish Wildlife Act.

Isn't that what we all should do ? I have never had an abortion or a gay marriage but I have the right to a say. Who polices the Wildlife Act ? I have seen foxes in terrible pain from snares & rabbits, even a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Discodog wrote: »
    Isn't that what we all should do ? I have never had an abortion or a gay marriage but I have the right to a say. Who polices the Wildlife Act ? I have seen foxes in terrible pain from snares & rabbits, even a cat.

I don't know what you are on about, sorry.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

gozunda wrote: »
    'Feck' is abusive now is it? Father Ted is about to be banned so. Why are you making this discussion about you?

Calling people scum is abusive. Why don't you answer the questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I find it worrying that anyone would think it’s acceptable and even enjoyable to run a defenseless fox into exhaustion, injure it and allow it to be torn apart alive by dogs. And that’s not to blame the dogs btw, they can’t help how they’re trained.

The hunters should be ashamed of themselves as should anyone who supports them. What they do is barbaric.

Culling and hunting for food is one thing - as much as I don’t like either of them I understand the necessity.

Blood sports are another kettle of fish and frankly should be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Why is it not banned?

Im staying with my parents for the weekend, they live in the countryside and today a large group of fox hunters with their hounds came charging down past the house which is on a busy country road and on a bad bend, they could have easily caused an accident.
    Then they went into the field beside my parents and proceeded to chase a frightened little animal with their dogs. There has to be some level of psychopathy involved in this to brutally chase an animal and watch it being malled to death for fun.
    If this wasnt bad enough they dont even warn the locals that they plan to hunt in the area. My parents have pet cats which regularly wander into the local fields during the day and could have easily been caught up in the hunt and on a Saturday afternoon, there's often people going for walks/runs on the road, to be met with a gang of hunters, horses and dogs charging down the road around dangerous bends could have resulted in someone being hurt.
    I suppose its not surprising that the people who hurt animals for sport wouldnt have any consideration for locals or other road users but what I dont understand is why its not banned here?

I am guessing you skipped Biology class?
    First the Hunt (in our area) give notice. If they travel over land they drop a hamper at Christmas.
    Both the Hunt and your cats perform a valuable job keeping down rodents. Without the Hunt the population of Foxes would go unchecked. This number out of control would look for alternative food sources. Its a check and balance in nature. I find Rally driving a bigger nuisance and for more dangerous. Its not the same as sulkie racing.
    It is also good for foxes too as it prevents in breeding. As for shooting foxes I have no problem with it, just the best of shots will tell you it is near impossible to do as foxes as very clever. I think fox hunting is humane compared to traps snares and poison.
    Also young foxes broke into my mothers chicken coop and killed 30 hens, just for fun (they only took 15 away) a few years back. I dont hear you crying about that. I do understand there has to be checks and balances in the food chain.
    Are you really from the country or have you spent too much time studying Orts and in the students union that you have forgotten to get some mud on you wellies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Discodog wrote: »
    Calling people scum is abusive. Why don't you answer the questions ?

What question? or are you going to start that bs of 'answer my question!. No one was calling 'people' scum. It was clearly referring to extremist groups in the uk who set out to intimidate and harass those they don't like - that's abuse imo. And you didn't answer a question either - why are you making the discussion about yourself?

:confused:

I find it worrying that anyone would think it’s acceptable and even enjoyable to run a defenseless fox into exhaustion, injure it and allow it to be torn apart alive by dogs. And that’s not to blame the dogs btw, they can’t help how they’re trained.
    The hunters should be ashamed of themselves as should anyone who supports them. What they do is barbaric. Culling abs and hunting for food is one thing - as much as don’t like either of them I understand the necessity. Blood sports are another kettle of fish and frankly should be illegal.

Read the actual thread and stop reading the rubbish posted up by idiots about exhaustion miles torn apart etc etc. Hounds kill foxes the same way foxes kill hare rabbits etc. quickly and efficiently. I get it you don't understand the necessity - others do.

Read the actual thread and stop reading the rubbish posted up by idiots about exhaustion miles torn apart etc etc. Hounds kill foxes the same way foxes kill hare rabbits etc. quicly and efficiently. I get it you don't understand the necessity - others do.

It’s not that I don’t get the necessity. It’s that there is no necessity. It’s simply a method satisfying the hunters blood lust and need for entertainment and it’s barbaric.

And just so we’re clear - no I am not from the country but I am capable of recognizing cruelty when I see it.

It’s not that I don’t get the necessity. It’s that there is no necessity. It’s simply a method satisfying the hunters blood lust and need for entertainment and it’s barbaric.

A fox has his neck broken by the first hound. How is that barbaric compared with dying for years with cancer. After a heart attack that would be my prefered option to go. It fulfills a important role in ecology. What rural society hasnt hunted game? Its part of our culture, tradition and it is us playing our part in the ecological cycle.

It’s not that I don’t get the necessity. It’s that there is no necessity. It’s simply a method satisfying the hunters blood lust and need for entertainment and it’s barbaric.And just so we’re clear - no I am not from the country but I am capable of recognizing cruelty when I see it.

And using words like that tbh shows you not read the whole thread. 'Entertainment''bloodlust' rubbish - that's pure disneynification. There are those who think animal farming is cruel aswell. Suppose it depends where your sentiments lie. I've seen foxes kill and wipeout an entire pond of wildfowl including young and you could say that's cruel. But isn't imo.

• Advertisement

And just so we’re clear - no I am not from the country but I am capable of recognizing cruelty when I see it.

What we really need to do is go to the cities and see where violence is concentrated. We need to close down nightclubs (scenes of shooting) and pubs, Orts departments in colleges which will protect wimxn from male toxicity, Student unions will need to go too. That sounds like a good start

There are those who think animal farming is cruel aswell. Suppose it depends where your sentiments lie. I've seen foxes kill and you could say that's cruel. But isn't imo.

Didnt you know that dairying is taking "babies from their mothers"? Meat is murder, horses should also be fitted for meters for ferrying humans around the fields? We need to get people back on their meds!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Fox hunting certainly isnt 'necessary' - those trying to justify it that way are being deceitful and its a wishy washy argument that convinces no one, and makes the hunters look foolish. The bottom line is that fox hunting is fun.
    For those saying they dont understand how people can do it, and regard it as barbaric, well, the lack is on their side. Clearly it can be enjoyed. Going down the road of banning things you dont understand is a very bad step and cannot be justified by anyone who does not acknowledge they are a fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Read the actual thread and stop reading the rubbish posted up by idiots about exhaustion miles torn apart etc etc. Hounds kill foxes the same way foxes kill hare rabbits etc. quickly and efficiently. I get it you don't understand the necessity - others do.

Yes, but hounds don't have access to a rifle, or a human consciousness of their own.

It's not a question of the necessity, we all know we're not having eggs tomorrow if there's a fox sniffing around the coup, it's about the means and motivation.

Putting food on your table is one thing.
    Already having food on your table and then going and terrorizing an animal is another.

You could just shoot it.

Let's try for a standard higher than that of a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭mulbot

First the Hunt (in our area) give notice. If they travel over land they drop a hamper at Christmas.
    Both the Hunt and your cats perform a valuable job keeping down rodents. Without the Hunt the population of Foxes would go unchecked. This number out of control would look for alternative food sources. Its a check and balance in nature. I find Rally driving a bigger nuisance and for more dangerous. Its not the same as sulkie racing.
    It is also good for foxes too as it prevents in breeding. As for shooting foxes I have no problem with it, just the best of shots will tell you it is near impossible to do as foxes as very clever. I think fox hunting is humane compared to traps snares and poison.
    Also young foxes broke into my mothers chicken coop and killed 30 hens, just for fun (they only took 15 away) a few years back. I dont hear you crying about that. I do understand there has to be checks and balances in the food chain.
    Are you really from the country or have you spent too much time studying Orts and in the students union that you have forgotten to get some mud on you wellies?

What nonsense. As someone who has spent over 20 years hunting, shooting with rifle is the no. 1 way of controlling fox. The hunt, do little to nothing for control of fox numbers. Entering lands without permission, running packs of hounds through fields with pregnant sheep, have seen all of this and more over the years. In fact where I grew up, no landowners in the locality will let any hunt cross lands anymore such is the contempt for them. One man and a rifle, a lamp and a fox caller will keep any fox population under control.

And using words like that tbh showyths you not read the whole thread. 'Entertainment''bloodlust' rubbish - that's pure disneynification. There are those who think animal farming is cruel aswell. Suppose it depends where your sentiments lie. I've seen foxes kill and wipeout an entire pond of wildfowl including young and you could say that's cruel. But isn't imo.

There’s a world of difference between the two and you know it. In your scenario the fox is acting on instinct, no different to any other wild animal when it is hungry. It’s likely not pleasant to watch but nature is harsh sometimes.

The Hunt is bloodlust and cruelty masquerading as sport. There’s nothing natural about it nor is it something that needs to be done.

If you really cared about trying to control populations of fox, which I do understand regardless of my not liking it, you’d find a humane way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

What happens to the hounds when they retire? I watched the start of a hunt on Stephens Day and there's no way people are keeping them as pets.

mulbot wrote: »
    What nonsense. As someone who has spent over 20 years hunting, shooting with rifle is the no. 1 way of controlling fox. The hunt, do little to nothing for control of fox numbers. Entering lands without permission, running packs of hounds through fields with pregnant sheep, have seen all of this and more over the years. In fact where I grew up, no landowners in the locality will let any hunt cross lands anymore such is the contempt for them. One man and a rifle, a lamp and a fox caller will keep any fox population under control.

How many times have you seen a fox and not had a rifle or shot gun?
    How many times have you seen a fox and had your rifle or shot gun and werent fast enough to get a round off?
    How many times have you seen a fox and had your rifle or shot gun and were fast enough to get a round off but missed?
    Get back to me on that one when when you are finished playing "Sniper 4" on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What do the hounds eat? Think about it. Hint: not foxes.
    You are concerned about the fox.
    Exactly. It's only a fox. I couldn't give a bollix about hunting and/or hunters.Each to their own I say..
    I’m a city man and I'm well aware that foxes are pricks when left to their own devices. What annoy me are the 'hunt saboteur' shower. Disturbing one man's afternoon whilst wasting their own. Usually posh c*nts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Acosta

Out of about the 2 million different things one can do for pleasure on a Sunday afternoon, if someone decides that killing wild animals in the activity for them then should seek professional help.

• Advertisement

There’s nothing natural about it nor is it something that needs to be done.

If you really cared about trying to control populations of fox, which I do understand regardless of my not liking it, you’d find a humane way to do it.

Name a society that hasnt hunted..... oh yes they were called Vegans.

Humane ways to kill a fox? :
    Poisoning, with rat poison and its like over dosing with painkillers and "if" it works the fox can look forward to a long and cruel death down a burrow somewhere.
    Snare and Traps: a fox can be there for days starving before it gnaws its own foot off.
    Shotgun: very hard to do but the fox can once again go down a hole and bleed out slowly.
    All wonderful options

You strangely forget that foxes kill a lot of rats.

The old "it's good for them" argument. After all how did Foxes ever survive without us hunting them ?

They didn't kill for fun. They would of returned for the rest. Any animal will take an easy meal. It's not difficult to make a hen house fox proof.

Are you suggesting that someone who studies art can't empathise with an animal being killed for fun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭mulbot

How many times have you seen a fox and not had a rifle or shot gun?
    How many times have you seen a fox and had your rifle or shot gun and werent fast enough to get a round off?
    How many times have you seen a fox and had your rifle or shot gun and were fast enough to get a round off but missed?
    Get back to me on that one when when you are finished playing "Sniper 4" on the xbox.

Oh lord, same arrogance here as the hunt usually have. If I'm asked to cull or control foxes, it's a night time venture with a fox call, rifle and lamp. Any nber of foxes can be called in to despatch. You obviously have no experience of it and trying to come across as condescending only show how much of an ignorant fool you are.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    What happens to the hounds when they retire? I watched the start of a hunt on Stephens Day and there's no way people are keeping them as pets.

Why not Beagles make great pets and are docile creatures my brother in law keeps them as pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Why not Beagles make great pets and are docile creatures my brother in law keeps them as pets?

Do hunts in Ireland use Beagles? Fox hounds in most UK hunts.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

mulbot wrote: »
    Oh lord, same arrogance here as the hunt usually have. If I'm asked to cull or control foxes, it's a night time venture with a fox call, rifle and lamp. Any nber of foxes can be called in to despatch. You obviously have no experience of it and trying to come across as condescending only show how much of an ignorant fool you are.

I think they call that lamping (Rifle + two lamps)? Isnt that illegal? as compared with fox hunting? While I am not opposed to it, I do remind you, you are breaking the law.

There’s a world of difference between the two and you know it. In your scenario the fox is acting on instinct, no different to any other wild animal when it is hungry. It’s likely not pleasant to watch but nature is harsh sometimes. The Hunt is bloodlust and cruelty masquerading as sport. There’s nothing natural about it nor is it something that needs to be done.If you really cared about trying to control populations of fox, which I do understand regardless of my not liking it, you’d find a humane way to do it.

Its quite simple hounds and foxes work on the same instinct and will kill in the same way. It's not about 'anyone caring' tbh - that hyperbole could be applied to any type of situation tbh. Much of hunting with hounds especially on foot disperses foxes and make a them wary of humans. Very few are or need to be killed but it occasionally serves to get rid of the problematic ones. So it's not about killing and that why i suggested you need to read the rest of the thread. Sometimes shooting can result in whole populations been wiped out. That's not good either.

Do hunts in Ireland use Beagles? Fox hounds in most UK hunts.

Yup, its called Beagling and its the type of hunt without horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yup, its called Beagling and its the type of hunt without horses.

Thanks, not a term I was familiar with. Beagles are lovely dogs.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

The ones I saw coming out of the trailer didn't look like they would be suitable pets. This was a hunt with horses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement