Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting

Options
  • 20-01-2019 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Why is it not banned?

Im staying with my parents for the weekend, they live in the countryside and today a large group of fox hunters with their hounds came charging down past the house which is on a busy country road and on a bad bend, they could have easily caused an accident.
    Then they went into the field beside my parents and proceeded to chase a frightened little animal with their dogs. There has to be some level of psychopathy involved in this to brutally chase an animal and watch it being malled to death for fun.
    If this wasnt bad enough they dont even warn the locals that they plan to hunt in the area. My parents have pet cats which regularly wander into the local fields during the day and could have easily been caught up in the hunt and on a Saturday afternoon, there's often people going for walks/runs on the road, to be met with a gang of hunters, horses and dogs charging down the road around dangerous bends could have resulted in someone being hurt.
    I suppose its not surprising that the people who hurt animals for sport wouldnt have any consideration for locals or other road users but what I dont understand is why its not banned here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Why is it not banned?

Im staying with my parents for the weekend, they live in the countryside and today a large group of fox hunters with their hounds came charging down past the house which is on a busy country road and on a bad bend, they could have easily caused an accident.
    Then they went into the field beside my parents and proceeded to chase a frightened little animal with their dogs. There has to be some level of psychopathy involved in this to brutally chase an animal and watch it being malled to death for fun.
    If this wasnt bad enough they dont even warn the locals that they plan to hunt in the area. My parents have pet cats which regularly wander into the local fields during the day and could have easily been caught up in the hunt and on a Saturday afternoon, there's often people going for walks/runs on the road, to be met with a gang of hunters, horses and dogs charging down the road around dangerous bends could have resulted in someone being hurt.
    I suppose its not surprising that the people who hurt animals for sport wouldnt have any consideration for locals or other road users but what I dont understand is why its not banned here?

How many innocent songbirds and rodents are killed by your parents cats wandering free each day do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Pkiernan wrote: »
    How many innocent songbirds and rodents are killed by your parents cats wandering free each day do you think?

Its not the same thing at all, cats are instinctual, humans know better. Notice im not blaming the hunters dogs, im blaming the hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Pkiernan wrote: »

Yes I agree with you there. Cats should be done away with. Also I agree with hunting. It should be banned along with coursing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've absolutely no problem with hunting foxes.

I just think they should ban the useage of guns, dogs and horses while doing so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

First presumptions. certainly some are also likley are 'locals.' Horses and riders are allowed on roads. Plenty get shot, hunted etc - all which is legal. They also get smashed on the same roads more often than hunted on a regular basis by said cars. 'sport' has many definitions including 'a physical activity undertaken outdoors' which funnily enough also includes shooting and fishing etc. Maybe have a word with them - if you're annoyed or whatever.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    First presumptions. certainly some are also likley are 'locals.' Horses and riders are allowed on roads. Plenty get shot, hunted etc - all which is legal. They also get smashed on the same roads on a regular basis by said cars. 'sport' has many definitions including 'a physical activity undertaken outdoors' which funnily enough also includes shooting and fishing etc. Maybe have a word with them - if your annoyed.

Theres no problem with horses being on the road, but 10 - 20 of them charging down the road, taking up two lanes with just as many dogs running all over the place and potentially causing an accident is not the same thing.
    Understandably animals get 'smashed' on the road, the difference is thats normally accidental, drivers dont chase down animals with their cars for 'fun', so again, not the same thing.

I dont agree with shooting either but again, its not the same thing.

Interesting how those in disagreement are clutching at straws trying to draw comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Its not the same thing at all, cats are instinctual, humans know better. Notice im not blaming the hunters dogs, im blaming the hunters.

No one was blaming the cats either, they were blaming your parents.

For the record I think fox hunting should be banned, equally so should allowing cats to roam. Dog owners are held accountable for damage to property, wildlife and persons. Cats should be no different. Your post is very hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

I shoot targets don't hunt but have no problem with people who hunt and eat what they kill. I would have a problem with Lord Muck and his jaunty ***** blowing through my land (if I had land). Hear a lot of stories of these privileged pricks riding roughshod down main roads, over private land etc without a care in the world. Please God some farmer will stick a 12guage in their face and tell them to **** off.

And where it's a bunch of locals and even farmers who are going out how's that work?. Hate the usual bs that anyone who rides hunts shoots etc is stuck up - complete biblllox. Btw around here anyway those who go out only go through land previously agreed before hand with me. Wouldn't be bothered listing to 'stories' either tbh.

Heckler wrote: »
    I shoot targets don't hunt but have no problem with people who hunt and eat what they kill. I would have a problem with Lord Muck and his jaunty ***** blowing through my land (if I had land). Hear a lot of stories of these privileged pricks riding roughshod down main roads, over private land etc without a care in the world. Please God some farmer will stick a 12guage in their face and tell them to **** off.

The farmer who owns the land lives beside my parents, he was standing outside watching them giving out and shaking his head. There was nothing he could do. They couldnt care any less.

• Advertisement

Lots of things 'potentially' can cause accidents on small country roads including machinery trucks livestock. 10 riders is hardly a feckin gang tbh. That's why theres speed limits etc. Yeah people ride on roads big deal. Lock up your cats if they are out killing wildlife. As for fooking 'pets' ****ting in fields causing Neospora
    etc. dont get me started. Competly unnecessary. There's plenty of ****e I don't like in the countryside. If your looking to ban all of it might be best elsewhere tbh. And mixing up words fun and sport there get a dictionary. Why the feck should everyone agere with anyones rant is beyond me tbh.

Lots of things 'potentially' can cause accidents on small country roads including machinery trucks livestock. 10 riders is hardly a feckin gang tbh. That's why theres speed limits etc. Yeah people ride on roads big deal. Lock up your cats if they are out killing wildlife. Competly unnecessary. There's plenty of ****e I don't like in the countryside. If your looking to ban all of it might be best elsewhere tbh. And your mixing up words fun and sport there get a dictionary. Why the feck should everyone agere with anyones rant is beyond me tbh.

Not all of it, im quite tolerant actually, just fox hunting, its not only cruel but dangerous to other road users and just to add there where allot more than 10 riders charging down a large, busy country road. Making light by suggesting its a small road just because its in the countryside is a lame attempt at minimizing their actions.

And where it's a bunch of locals and even farmers who are going out how's that work?. Hate the usual bs that anyone who rides hunts shoots etc is stuck up - complete biblllox. Btw around here anyway those who go out only go through land previously agreed. Wouldn't be bothered listed to 'stories' either tbh.

Not saying everyone but there is a cadre of pricks who do it. Its a senseless, outdated "sport" to say the least. Game shooters I have no problem with. Running an animal into the ground is medieval. Big men on their literal high horses.

Not all of it, im quite tolerant actually, just fox hunting, its not only cruel but dangerous to other road users and just to add there where allot more than 10 riders charging down a large, busy country road. Making light by suggesting its a small road just because its in the countryside is a lame attempt at minimizing their actions.

Tell you what best keep pets out of farmers land. Dont see to many asking can their pets sh1ting and running around fields causing Neospora in farm animals, chase sheep etc etc. Btw hounds kill exactly the same way as fox kill hares and rabbits. And before you mention it gets torn up thats what exactly foxes do once dead. Maybe we should kill all the foxes for being 'cruel' to wildlife. Nambies in the countryside drives me fecking mad tbh.

Houndless hunts seem to be all the rage up here now. No fox, no hounds, not sure what the difference is between that and going for a cross country hack. Drag hunting is something I did a few times when I had horses, very fast paced and mostly off road on established cross country courses. Can't imagine you'd get the same enjoyment out of the much slower paced fox hunt.

Tell you what best keep pets out of farmers land. Dont see to many asking can their pets **** and run around fields causing Neospora in farm animals, chase sheep etc etc. Btw hounds kill exactly the same way as fox kill hares and rabbits. And before you mention it gets torn up thats what exactly foxes do once dead. Maybe we should kill all the foxes for being 'cruel' to wildlife. Nambies in the countryside drives me fecking mad tbh.

Apologies, I should have been more specific in my original post, the hunters were infact chasing a rabbit, not a fox.

All animals hunt and kill, its their natural instinct, no amount of domestication will change that, again, its not the same thing.

Humans on the other hand, in a group of 15+ on big horses with a pack of dogs chasing a little frightened rabbit for fun does not come close to a little cat flaking out in a field.

I assume youre a fox hunter yourself as youre so defensive against anyone who disagrees with it.

They certainly would not have been deliberately chasing a rabbit so actually a lot closer to the cat analogy than you think.

Apologies, I should have been more specific in my original post, the hunters were infact chasing a rabbit, not a fox. All animals hunt and kill, its their natural instinct, no amount of domestication will change that, again, its not the same thing.
    Humans on the other hand, in a group of 15+ on big horses with a pack of dogs chasing a little frightened rabbit for fun does not come close to a little cat flaking out in a field. I assume youre a fox hunter yourself as youre so defensive against anyone who disagrees with it.

Assume away, I'm a farmer and people hunt for different reasons including predation and eating. And yes I find rabbit is very very tasty. If something is rubbish - dont expect that not to get called out. Thanks.

As for 'pets' keep them out of fields. Hypocrisy otherwise.

Assume away, I'm a farmer and people hunt for different reasons including predation and eating. And yes I find rabbit are very very tasty. Thanks.

As for 'pets' keep them out of fields. Hypocrisy otherwise.

If the farmer minded I would keep the cat out of his field but thankfully he doesn't, he has cats himself which regularly hang around my parents house and in the fields too. You worry about your fields, ill worry about my neighbor and how he feels.

They cant be kept inside as theyre indoor/outdoor cats, both of them were pulled out of a ditch as kittens and are miserable if kept inside for too long, theyre brought in at night. Theres been no complaints.

Tell you what best keep pets out of farmers land. Dont see to many asking can their pets sh1ting and running around fields causing Neospora in farm animals, chase sheep etc etc. Btw hounds kill exactly the same way as fox kill hares and rabbits. And before you mention it gets torn up thats what exactly foxes do once dead. Maybe we should kill all the foxes for being 'cruel' to wildlife. Nambies in the countryside drives me fecking mad tbh.

Foxes kill hares and rabbits its nature. Running a fox into a hole by a bunch of twats on horses with hounds isn't nature. It costs a lot to own and keep horses so yeah it is the "Horsey" rich brigade who in the main indulge in this ridiculous excuse of a sport. And don't give me any bull**** about culling. The same folks who would claim to love their animal horses see no hypocrisy in killing other animals to satisfy their ****ed up bloodlust.

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    foxes kill hares and rabbits its nature. Running a fox into a hole by a bunch of twats on horses with hounds isn't nature. It costs a lot to own and keep horses so yeah it is the "Horsey" rich brigade who in the main indulge in this ridiculous excuse of a sport. And don't give me any bull**** about culling. The same folks who would claim to love their animal horses see no hypocrisy in killing other animals to satisfy their ****ed up bloodlust.

Yup. Predators kill hares and rabbits exactly So no I don't see that as cruel either. That's the freekin point. More bolloxology about horsey 'rich'. around here it locals and farmers who have horses etc. Believe whatever bs you like people hunt shoot fish and yeah and death is in nature. What I cant stand is preachy eejits arriving out in the countryside giving out about farming, moving cattle on roads, the smell of slurry legal hunting act etc. Seems to infect their delicate sensibilities and stupid 'bloodlust' bolloxology beloved of those watching disney and think thats whats happens.

I'm sick to the back teeth of eejits complaining about just about everything which goes on in the countyside tbh. They're the ones to get off their high horses complaining about others whilst they see nothing wrong letting pets roam ****ting or chasing sheep.

Yup. Foxes kill hares and rabbits exactly So no I don't see that as cruel either. That's the freekin point. More bolloxology about horsey 'rich'. around here it locals and farmers etc. Believe whatever bs you like people hunt shoot fish and yeah and death is in nature. What I cant stand is preachy eejits arriving out in the countryside giving out about farming, moving cattle on roads, the smell of slurry legal hunting act etc. Seems to infect their delicate sensibilities and stupid 'bloodlust' bolloxology beloved of those watching disney and think thats whats happens.

I'm sick to the back teeth of eejits complaining about just about everything which goes on in the countyside tbh. They're the ones to get off their high horses complaining about others whilst they see nothing wrong letting pets roam ****ting or chasing sheep.

No one has said anything about cattle, slurry or anything else youve mentioned in your post. Why are you so angry?

No one has said anything about cattle, slurry or anything else youve mentioned in your post. Why are you so angry?

You say you've 'had no complaints' about your pets running around some elses land. The point is that's no basis to have a go at others because you dont like something else. Well the farmer whose land to your using probably 'can't do anything' about your parents or whoever leaving their pets out and defecating and killing wildlife either which you are giving out about others doing.

As to your complaint about others legally using the roads - yeah I've heard the same bs about tractors, livestock and farm machinery so don't get me started on that either.

Do you even know what Neospora or Toxoplasmosis actually is? Do you care?

You say you've 'had no complaints' about your pets running around some elses land. The point is that's no basis to have a go at others because you dont like something else. Well the farmer whose land to your using probably 'can't do anything' about your parents or whoever leaving their pets out and defecating and killing wildlife either.

As to your complaint about others legally using the roads - yeah I've heard the same bs about tractors, livestock and farm machinery so don't get me started on that either.

Do you even know what Neospora or Toxoplasmosis actually is? Do you care?

I understand what they both are and how it can be an infuriating problem. But Jeez fella take a breath and calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

There seems to be an almost magnetic attraction for horses from utter knobs for some reason, especially from the extremes of the socio-economic classes and ethnic minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Hunting? **** off with that.

The farmer who owns the land lives beside my parents, he was standing outside watching them giving out and shaking his head. There was nothing he could do. They couldnt care any less.

All he has to do is inform the hunt that they’re not allowed on his land. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I just think they should ban the useage of guns, dogs and horses while doing so.

ok princess I'll pull out the chainsaw so

don't agree with dogs but guns are the most humane way of dispatching an animal while in the field

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

All he has to do is inform the hunt that they’re not allowed on his land. Simples.

I assume you're being sarcastic with that comment? I have lived in the country side my entire life and the hunt is very popular around here, and a few of my friends are land owners. No amount of telling then they are barred from land works. They regularly cut fences, break through ditches, open and close gates as they please. Trespassing is not something they can comprehend.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    I assume you're being sarcastic with that comment? I have lived in the country side my entire life and the hunt is very popular around here, and a few of my friends are land owners. No amount of telling then they are barred from land works. They regularly cut fences, break through ditches, open and close gates as they please. Trespassing is not something they can comprehend.

I’m also a lifelong country dweller and only once can I recall them entering my families land. A severe talking to had them out within a week and the damage repaired. They can not and do not go where they are not allowed. Which is why you see them so often on the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement