Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

pconn062 wrote:
    I assume you're being sarcastic with that comment? I have lived in the country side my entire life and the hunt is very popular around here, and a few of my friends are land owners. No amount of telling then they are barred from land works. They regularly cut fences, break through ditches, open and close gates as they please. Trespassing is not something they can comprehend.

pictures guards court

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I’m also a lifelong country dweller and only once can I recall them entering my families land. A severe talking to had them out within a week and the damage repaired. They can not and do not go where they are not allowed.

They follow the fox. The fox doesn't know what landowners have given permission. There was a long thread on the farming forum on this, seems it's more frequent than you are suggesting.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    They follow the fox. The fox doesn't know what landowners have given permission. There was a long thread on the farming forum on this, seems it's more frequent than you are suggesting.

I can only speak from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pointless activity.

The last vestige of the 'big house' set. Think we would have gone beyond this in the 21st cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

fox hunters with their hounds
    What do the hounds eat? Think about it. Hint: not foxes.
    It is like a magic misdirection trick. You are concerned about the fox.

• Advertisement

Foxes are vermin and need to be kept under control. Fox hunting is an important activity in the control of foxes and it’s more of it we need not banning it.

Even if they don’t catch foxes they scare the s*it out of them and drive them around the place preventing them for building numbers in any one area. Foxes are responsible for spreading disease and killing lambs, hens etc etc anyone who doesn’t want them kept well under control hasn’t a clue.

There seems to be an almost magnetic attraction for horses from utter knobs for some reason, especially from the extremes of the socio-economic classes and ethnic minorities.
    I own three horses with a fourth expected soon.
    I can not ride a horse, and am from the lower middle-class.
    There is a great interest in horses in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Foxes are vermin and need to be kept under control. Fox hunting is an important activity in the control of foxes and it’s more of it we need not banning it.

Even if they don’t catch foxes they scare the s*it out of them and drive them around the place preventing them for building numbers in any one area. Foxes are responsible for spreading disease and killing lambs, hens etc etc anyone who doesn’t want them kept well under control hasn’t a clue.

No issue with vermin control. Shoot the things if they’re on your land killing your hens. Chasing them down country roads and across other people’s land and being a dangerous nuisance isn’t about vermin control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If we chased dogs, cows, sheep etc to the point of exhaustion & then ripped them apart it would be clearly seen as cruelty. The fox has exactly the same nervous system, feelings, fears but isn't protected by the law because it's classed as "vermin". By allowing some animals to be classified as vermin, as a sub animal, we allow fox hunting.

Even worse people refer to it as "sport".

People still concerned about chasing the fox, who usually escapes.
    Nobody is concerned about horses, who are eaten by the dogs.

• Advertisement

People still concerned about chasing the fox, who usually escapes.
    Nobody is concerned about horses, who are eaten by the dogs.

Rubbish. Plenty are concerned about the welfare of horses. But horses aren't chased to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Ireland is a barbarous country - fox hunting, coursing, fur-farming, animal testing - we’ve got it all. Our neighbours across the water introduced fox-hunting here but have long since banned it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Have you ever tried it OP?

Fox hunting is great fun. Those who hunt are people no better nor worse than those whi dont, and yet are perfectly happy to do so. Banning it would be a most unfair restriction of their rights. Sure, foxes are chased and killed. But from the perspective of some, usually those with a background or tradition if hunting, thats not a problem. They are entitled to that view.

Dont like fox hunting? Dont hunt.

There are few things I feel more strongly about than anti-anti-foxhunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There seems to be an almost magnetic attraction for horses from utter knobs for some reason, especially from the extremes of the socio-economic classes and ethnic minorities.

The usual soundbites from some who dont have a clue. All types of people have horses. Are jockies 'knobs'. Are those people who breed and look after horses 'knobs? . As for hunting lots of different types of people hunt and not with horses either.. And there's the usual animal nutter brigade who know fek all and keep repeating the same rubbish about it being unnatural. I've seen hounds working and hounds kill the exact same way that foxes do. Quickly and efficiently. Horses chase nothing - they follow hounds. And yes just the same as foxes with hares rabbits gets tornnup once dead. Is it pretty? no its not. But then neither is smashed up foxes killed on roads for no other reason that people treat roads as racetracks for cars. - As for others using the roads - people have a feckin right to use the roads. If you have a problem report it - but no It's the usual attacking others because what you do is ok but hey let's attack others because your right jack.

Fox hunting is great fun. Those who hunt are people no better nor worse than those whi dont, and yet are perfectly happy to do so. Banning it would be a most unfair restriction of their rights. Sure, foxes are chased and killed. But from the perspective of some, usually those with a background or tradition if hunting, thats not a problem. They are entitled to that view.

I agree. Why don't we bring back bear baiting - that was fun ? Why shouldn't you have the right to torture an animal especially for fun :rolleyes:

Discodog wrote: »
    I agree. Why don't we bring back bear baiting - that was fun ? Why shouldn't you have the right to torture an animal especially for fun :rolleyes:

Yeah great old tradition that, some dog fighting and badger baiting, great craic.

gozunda wrote: »
    The usual soundbites from some who dont have a clue. All types of people have horses. Are jockies 'knobs'. Are those people who breed and look after horses 'knobs? . As for hunting lots of different types of people hunt and not with horses either.. And there's the usual animal nutter brigade who know fek all and keep repeating the same rubbish about it being unnatural. I've seen hounds working and hounds kill the exact same way that foxes do. Quickly and efficiently. Horses chase nothing - they follow hounds. And yes just the same as foxes with hares rabbits gets tornnup once dead. Is it pretty? no its not. But then neither is smashed up foxes killed on roads for no other reason that peoole treat roads as racetracks for cars. - As for others using the roads - people have a feckin right to use the roads. If you have a problem report it - but no It's the usual attacking others because what you do is ok but hey let's attack others because your right jack.

Good to see that you are still here defending the indefensible. A "Hunter" costs a fortune & keeping it costs even more. Yes there are the followers on their nags who try to ignore the yucky bit & use it as an excuse for a ride out.

Now who's the most ignorant ? The town dweller who can see that animal cruelty for fun is wrong or the man who tries to justify it ?

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Ireland is a barbarous country - fox hunting, coursing, fur-farming, animal testing - we’ve got it all. Our neighbours across the water introduced fox-hunting here but have long since banned it

Yeah I hear that rubbish from the mad extremist anti brigade animal nutters over the water - who appear to have arrived here in numbers after they got run out of there by the police etc. The are same types of groups who attack farmers who attack anyone involved in animal agriculture, all types of hunting, the pharmaceutical industry etc. Btw hunting in Ireland has a much longer recorded history . Hunting with or without hounds was not introducrd it's part of culture here.. End of story. Dont like it tough. Report something if you thinks its against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Done like it tough. Report something if you thinks its against the law.

When the majority comes around to seeing that fox-hunting should be banned then the law will be changed.

When the majority comes around to seeing that fox-hunting should be banned then the law will be changed.

Yeah sure lets ban everything someone disagrees with. This week it was banning people from eating meat according to a report funded by one bunch of animal rights extremists nutters which made the news.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/gunhild-stordalen-the-flying-hypocrite/news-story/03acfe5fdced8d5adf97a01b06d4bbbf

• Advertisement

Hopefully the majority will never have the opinion that is should be banned though. Fortunately, whether they hunt or not, most people are more enlightened than to go restricting the activities of others that have nothing to do with them.
    People worried about the death of a few foxes have really lost perspective on humanity's position on earth as just another animal. Animals are killed all the time. Thats the world. A few more, killled for fun isnt just a drop in the ocean, its just a complete irrelevance.

True. So it is important that we all guard against this type of attitude becoming a majority. Society is all tge more vulnerable to that sort of nonsense in this era of snowflakes, and people who s lives are so comfortable they start inventing issues that dont exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Not all of it, im quite tolerant actually, just fox hunting, its not only cruel but dangerous to other road users and just to add there where allot more than 10 riders charging down a large, busy country road. Making light by suggesting its a small road just because its in the countryside is a lame attempt at minimizing their actions.

Tell you what best keep pets out of farmers land. Dont see to many asking can their pets sh1ting and running around fields causing Neospora in farm animals, chase sheep etc etc. Btw hounds kill exactly the same way as fox kill hares and rabbits. And before you mention it gets torn up thats what exactly foxes do once dead. Maybe we should kill all the foxes for being 'cruel' to wildlife. Nambies in the countryside drives me fecking mad tbh.

There is a massive difference to wildlife hunting to eat compared to the barbaric “sport” of fox hunting which involves the very drawn out, terrifying and barbaric death of a wild animal.

Fox hunting involves chasing a terrified fox for hours by a large pack of hounds and people on horses. The foxes position in then located and they use terriers to flush out foxes or resort to digging out the foxes and eventually the fox is ripped to shreds.
    The hounds are made blood thirsty when young by using live bait, this is usually Cubs that have been dug out. The hounds are treated poorly also. This sport is barbaric. OP there are hunt sabators that meet to deter the hunters and try to protect foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

Where exactly is the "fun" in chasing down an animal about the size of a small dog while on a horse multiples of its size and a bunch of baying hounds leading the way ? Whats the challenge ? What weird satisfaction do you get from that ? Shooting a fox whos bothering livestock no problem but to chase and hunt a living animal for "sport" ? Sick.

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    OP there are hunt sabators that meet to deter the hunters and try to protect foxes

Protecting disease spreading vermin who regularly kill livestock, fair play to them :rolleyes:

You could have a program of elimination of problem foxes by shooting, based on actual population stats. But that wouldn't be as much 'fun'.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like a fair fight hunting foxes badgers etc doesn't seem that fair to me

A level below dog fighting which is which is the pastime of the truely twisted b@stards

You could have a program of elimination of problem foxes by shooting, based on actual population stats. But that wouldn't be as much 'fun'.

As I mentioned there is a lot of value from the scattering and frightening of foxes also not just killing them as they are driven around and can’t build a population in any one area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Protecting disease spreading vermin who regularly kill livestock, fair play to them :rolleyes:

Most landowners think its the hunts who are the disease spreading vermin.

• Advertisement

As I mentioned there is a lot of value from the scattering and frightening of foxes also not just killing them as they are driven around and can’t build a population in any one area.

You say that it's 'fun', go on. Don't hide behind words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement