Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A scumbag activity for scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Houndless hunts seem to be all the rage up here now. No fox, no hounds, not sure what the difference is between that and going for a cross country hack. Drag hunting is something I did a few times when I had horses, very fast paced and mostly off road on established cross country courses. Can't imagine you'd get the same enjoyment out of the much slower paced fox hunt.

They don't do it for the horsemanship they do it for the kill. Never once heard the big boys from the local hunt talk about the great run with the horses, it's always excited schoolboy sh1t about how they tracked him all the way to the River and he couldn't get away. They're complete scum, lowest of the low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Heckler wrote: »
    Where exactly is the "fun" in chasing down an animal about the size of a small dog while on a horse multiples of its size and a bunch of baying hounds leading the way

With respect, thats a silly question. Its fyn because its fun. Nothing we do for fun can be answered like that. Whats fun about kicking a ball round a field, playing a musical instrument to a level way below what you can hear just switching on a recording, being pulled up a mountain to just slide back down it again, tossing boulles at a small ball, etc.

You must accept that hunting is indeed great fun for those who do it, whether you understand it, have experienced it, or not.

And also, that had you been brought up in a riding, hunting, background or tradition, you would probably enjoy it, and practice it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah I hear that rubbish from the mad extremist anti brigade animal nutters over the water - who appear to have arrived here in numbers after they got run out of there by the police etc. The are same types of groups who attack farmers who attack anyone involved in animal agriculture, all types of hunting, the pharmaceutical industry etc. Btw hunting in Ireland has a much longer recorded history . Hunting with or without hounds was not introducrd it's part of culture here.. End of story. Dont like it tough. Report something if you thinks its against the law.

It's part of the British culture, not Irish.

You say that it's 'fun', go on. Don't hide behind words.

I don’t hunt myself but have family members who did in the past and follow on foot now. The fact is that it is fun though for those taking part both hunting and those following the hunt on foot.

I don’t see how people can see the fun, skill and challenge of Navigating cross county on a horse. You don’t know what’s on the far side of a wall or what’s around a corner in the next field etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    There is a massive difference to wildlife hunting to eat compared to the barbaric “sport” of fox hunting which involves the very drawn out, terrifying and barbaric death of a wild animal. Fox hunting involves chasing a terrified fox for hours by a large pack of hounds and people on horses. The foxes position in then located and they use terriers to flush out foxes or resort to digging out the foxes and eventually the fox is ripped to shreds.The hounds are made blood thirsty when young by using live bait, this is usually Cubs that have been dug out. The hounds are treated poorly also. This sport is barbaric. OP there are hunt sabators that meet to deter the hunters and try to protect foxes

Thats your misinformed opinion btw. Hounds kill the exact same way fox killed rabbits etc. Quickly and efficiently. The chase by hounds is the same as others predators. Nothing gets chassd 'for hours' ffs. And only hounds go after the fox. Foxes are also hunted more often on foot than foot following on horses. Only illegal types of hunting mostly by gangs from the UK do that digging out in my experience. It's the same bs repeated by anti extremists all the time. The anti and sab idiots in the UK are engaged in a vicous and nasty class war over there. That's the last type of rubbish we need to bringing in here. As stated If something is against the law report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Hunting with a rifle I have no issue at all.

Using horses and a pack of hounds is moronic.

Its not even an Irish thing not even close, only a gimmick of a "sport" from the old rich landed gentry.

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    There is a massive difference to wildlife hunting to eat compared to the barbaric “sport” of fox hunting which involves the very drawn out, terrifying and barbaric death of a wild animal.

Fox hunting involves chasing a terrified fox for hours by a large pack of hounds and people on horses. The foxes position in then located and they use terriers to flush out foxes or resort to digging out the foxes and eventually the fox is ripped to shreds.
    The hounds are made blood thirsty when young by using live bait, this is usually Cubs that have been dug out. The hounds are treated poorly also. This sport is barbaric. OP there are hunt sabators that meet to deter the hunters and try to protect foxes

You’ve obviously never heard of the wily old fox? Very few are ever caught. They run reams around the hounds. After all foxy is in his/her own home ground.

As for the hounds being treated poorly, in what way? They are fed, watered, bedded in comfy kennels, vaccinated, treated for fleas and worms, exercised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You’ve obviously never heard of the wily old fox? Very few are ever caught. They run reams around the hounds. After all foxy is in his/her own home ground.

As for the hounds being treated poorly, in what way? They are fed, watered, bedded in comfy kennels, vaccinated, treated for fleas and worms, exercised.

When is your next hunt, Mary?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    When is your next hunt, Mary?

Want to join and educate yourself?

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    It's part of the British culture, not Irish.

So our history of hunting is rubbish is it? Cuculain etc tell of hunting with hounds before the English had got off their beds. Ancient Irish laws stipulated that landowners were obliged to hunt and control foxes and wovles. The Irish also hunted on horse back. But you do what the funny thing is? More hunting today is done on foot with hounds in rural areas than anywhere else. But then of course hunting and horses is the favourite poster campaign of the english nutter anti / sab community. And the same bs repeated. That's the same bunch who want to get meat banned as well and want everyone to eat beans or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It is barbaric and should be banned,Im surprised it hasnt already been

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Tired of the "You townies don t understand rural life" bull**** that crops up any time this comes up.

As someone else said, Ireland has a very poor record on basic animal rights, which needs to change.

Foxhunters are bullies, who think they own the place.

A family and their children had to watch their pet cat turn asunder in Cork I believe when the bunt trespassed after the fox. But of course the hunters apologised, sure they can just get another cat.

Damn this cruel practice to the realms of history, where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thats your misinformed opinion btw. Hounds kill the exact same way fox killed rabbits etc. Quickly and efficiently. The chase by hounds is the same as others predators. Nothing gets chassd 'for hours' ffs. And only hounds go after the fox. Foxes are also hunted more often on foot than foot following on horses. Only illegal types of hunting mostly by gangs from the UK do that digging out in my experience. It's the same bs repeated by anti extremists all the time. The anti and sab idiots in the UK are engaged in a vicous and nasty class war over there. That's the last type of rubbish we need to bringing in here. As stated If something is against the law report it.

To the uninitiated "Anti" is the word used, by those that support hunting, as a derisory term meaning anyone who opposes their right to torture wildlife. It's trolled out time after time as is the term "Townie".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

And then killed at around 7 years of age, cos they are no longer of any use.

Want to join and educate yourself?

Bring a child along to be "blooded" - practice where the tail is cut off a fox & the blood smeared on a child's face to "celebrate" their first hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's plenty of Irish do it too and it's not illegal.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

archer22 wrote: »
    And then killed at around 7 years of age, cos they are no longer of any use.

And if they pick up any kind of illness or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your lucky you didn't see the guys out lamping!

So our history of hunting is rubbish is it? Cuculain etc tell of hunting with hounds before the English had got off their beds. Ancient Irish laws stipulated that landowners were obliged to hunt and control foxes and wovles. The Irish also hunted on horse back. But you do what the funny thing is? More hunting today is done on foot with hounds in rural areas than anywhere else. But then of course hunting and horses is the favourite poster campaign of the english nutter anti / sab community. And the same bs repeated. That's the same bunch who want to get meat banned as well and want everyone to eat beans or whatever.

Child abuse is in our history. What's your point ? That fox hunting is now the sport of the "common man" & that makes it ok ?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Bring a child along to be "blooded" - practice where the tail is cut off a fox & the blood smeared on a child's face to "celebrate" their first hunt.

You're b****ing about our English friends and the rubbish they push out. Blooded me arse. As said most hunting here with hounds is done on foot. But that doesn't suit the viscous extremist anti community who try and tell every one else what to do. Or the bull**** they put out when all they want is for everyone else to do what they want.

Yeah Irish culture and tradition. You clearly know fek all. Why are you on about 'child abuse'. Just in case you don't know that's against the law. Hunting ain't. That you would even use such an analogy shows how sick and twisted those who are anti and against hunting are.Take such stupid analogies and put them someplace dark and humid.

You're b****ing about your English friends and the rubbish they push out. Blooded me arse. As said most hunting here with hounds is done on foot. But that doesn't suit the viscous extremist anti community who try and tell every one else what to do. Or the bull**** they put out when all they want is for everyone else to do what they want.

You know my friends ? I doubt it somehow :pac:

If your arse is blooded you should seek medical attention.

So we are all vicious extremists. A man, who is happy for a fox to be hunted for fun, is calling us extremists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm ambivalent about it. I don't like animal cruelty. But I think the rural communities are having the rug pulled out from under them by changing culture. I felt similarly ambivalent about bull fighting in Spain.

Rural isolation is a serious issue. It's hard to expect people from urban areas to understand the culture in the countryside. Mental health and suicide are worryingly high in rural communities.

A big part of me thinks we need to be flexible to encourage rural communities to come together.

Because of the problems faced by rural communities I would be in favour of allowing fox hunting if it helps solve the problem.

It's a matter of choosing between two things I don't like, animal cruelty and rural isolation. I would choose to help with the rural isolation in this case.

You know my friends ? I doubt it somehow :pac:
    If your arse is blooded you should seek medical attention.So we are all vicious extremists. A man, who is happy for a fox to be hunted for fun, is calling us extremists :rolleyes:

I've came across a load of these types online. And most of these anti scum appear to originate over the water funnily enough. Who know feck all about hunting in ireland and which is mainly done on foot. Oh and in the UK foxes are still shot and eradicated by pest control companies in increasing numbers because the populations are no longer managed locally. But then that doesn't suit the propaganda does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Hunting and culling can be justified by necessity.

Killing for pleasure, and sport is disgusting.

If there's a fox to be killed, let it be done by one or two men on a wage.
    Rather than some creeps trying to be part of the horse set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've absolutely no problem with hunting foxes.

I just think they should ban the useage of guns, dogs and horses while doing so.

Personally I don't agree with snaring foxes but if that's what you are into, that's your choice and who am I to cast judgement?

You're doing nothing illegal once the snare complies with the regulations set out under the Irish Wildlife Act.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Its not the same thing at all, cats are instinctual, humans know better. Notice im not blaming the hunters dogs, im blaming the hunters.
    Yes, humans know better and shouldn't be sending their cats outdoors to kill innocent poor birds

I've came across a load of these types online. And most of these anti scum appear to originate over the water funnily enough. Who know feck all about hunting in ireland and which is mainly done on foot. Oh and in the UK foxes are still shot and eradicated by pest control companies in increasing numbers because the populations are no longer managed locally. But then that doesn't suit the propaganda does it.

Am I on your list ? How about other posters here ? The only person using abusive language is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

People who hunt might be lovely folk every other day of the week but when with their fox - hare chasing colleagues, turn into thee most obnoxious, aggressive and arrogant **** on the planet, no respect for private property whatsoever

• Advertisement

Am I on your list ? How about other posters here ? The only person using abusive language is you.

'Feck' is abusive now is it? Father Ted is about to be banned so. Why are you making this discussion about you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement