Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Patser wrote: »
    Probably a well known thing, but not something I was aware of:

Just over in states at the moment and called in to a Tesla shop in Chicago, curious to look at Model 3 in flesh. Salesperson told me they'd 7 in their stock, and more in central inventory, available immediately. And was actively pushing them.

Surprised to hear this, as I still thought they had waiting list issues, and problems keeping up with demand, but she assured me this wasn't an issue in the US.

After the reservation list is filled they are struggling to sell. If they have same issue in Europe then big problems

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    After the reservation list is filled they are struggling to sell. If they have same issue in Europe then big problems

Or create a great bargain for those on the fence :)

kceire wrote: »
    Or create a great bargain for those on the fence :)

I think competition will hopefully create that anyway....

Fingers crossed that VW will announce reasonable pricing for the ID3 and that might push the other manufacturers to reduce pricing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Think they have done well to sell as much as they have in the US

No one is doing well there, VW will struggle big time too

Take out eco states like California and EV market is dead there

Can't compete in a level playing field with cheap fuel and current inferior battery tech

Europe would be exactly the same if fuel was cheap and China are only doing well because its forced on them

I think EV demand is well overstated by the media

Take out the 10k incentives here and drop the tax on fuel and EV is dead, they will have to be forced upon us

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The model y will sell big. They could reduce the 3 and increase y. Problem resolved

• Advertisement

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Take out the 10k incentives here and drop the tax on fuel and EV is dead, they will have to be forced upon us

Is that likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Saw a white Model 3 with a black roof on Dutch plates today in Ballina Co Tipperary, It’s gorgeous in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Is that likely?

Its not but its what EVs are up against in certain regions

Love electric drive trains but batteries are crap and expensive

Best ones are 250Wh/kg

While petrol is 6000Wh/kg in efficient yokes like Toyota

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Some really good points unless EV are really pushed on the public not going to be huge take up. Once levies are taken away EV is as good as dead in Ireland and the UK except in potentially Dublin and London through congestion charges.

Battery tech needs to at least have the same range as a tank of diesel and that before even mentioning charge times and charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think competition will hopefully create that anyway....

Fingers crossed that VW will announce reasonable pricing for the ID3 and that might push the other manufacturers to reduce pricing.....

There will be no onus on them to reduce pricing though. Picture the scenario where Manufacturers are no longer making money from service work, parts sales or the rest.

Why would they reduce the price of the vehicle if other revenue streams are already impacted.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    There will be no onus on them to reduce pricing though. Picture the scenario where Manufacturers are no longer making money from service work, parts sales or the rest.

Why would they reduce the price of the vehicle if other revenue streams are already impacted.

From a warranty point of view the car will have to go to garage every year.

Is servicing that profitable? you are paying a mechanic and a whole team around them to do it.

Software is profitable, VW and Tesla both talk about "upgrade" OTA. You go onto VW carnet or tesla equivalent, type in credit card details and next morning you have the latest version of cruise control. That is profitable.....taking it to a garage and VW paying a whole team of people is not

ted1 wrote: »
    The model y will sell big. They could reduce the 3 and increase y. Problem resolved

The Model 3 was the answer to make Tesla profitable, if they turn around now and say its the Model Y it will be a serious step down

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

OSI wrote: »
    99% certain I saw a black Model 3 with the wrap still on making its way to Sandyford on the back of a transporter this morning.

They are expecting a LHD display model at some stage so could be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »
    Ireland's first Tesla supercharger opened today.

8-bay supercharger at Topaz Manor Stone services Ballacolla, Laois.
    Click for full res.

20170426_160423.jpg 20170426_160442.jpg

Was at this site recently and noticed that 4 of the 8 chargers have had CCS added to them to support the incoming Model 3.
    478139.JPG

Has that happened in the other Tesla sites in Ireland also?

The inverters, at the far end, dont appear to have been updated so still limited to 120kW per pair of chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

OSI wrote: »
    99% certain I saw a black Model 3 with the wrap still on making its way to Sandyford on the back of a transporter this morning.

I'll be around Sandyford Monday and Tuesday, will drop in. Wonder is it open Easter Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

KCross wrote: »
    Was at this site recently and noticed that 4 of the 8 chargers have had CCS added to them to support the incoming Model 3.
    478139.JPG

Has that happened in the other Tesla sites in Ireland also?

The inverters, at the far end, dont appear to have been updated so still limited to 120kW per pair of chargers.

As far as I know all supercharger sites in Ireland are ready for Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Isn't there a map somewhere with all the European superchargers and where you can clearly see which ones have upgraded to CCS?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

If anyone would like a referral code for €30 off let me know by PM. With the referral the Model S can be got for little as €69 mid week!
    Idbatterim wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

CFC007 wrote:
    If anyone would like a referral code for €30 off let me know by PM. With the referral the Model S can be got for little as €69 mid week!

Me please ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

See base model Standard $35k delivery last week, lad on YT has a nice blue one, restricted battery as predictable versus Standard Plus

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

unkel wrote: »
    Isn't there a map somewhere with all the European superchargers and where you can clearly see which ones have upgraded to CCS?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1gygphaA-CioOsIGbEAY4gmBYgI3QtrSc&hl=en&ll=26.624664117608738%2C9.526020946677136&z=1

That's astonishing. Nearly all European supercharger stations already have at least 2 CCS connections. Within a couple of months of the Model 3 being available. Even in the UK, where you can't even get the car yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I watched a bit of the FSD event and wow I thought Elon came across as a very broken man, either last night explosion at SpaceX got to him or I feel that he’s just completely burnt out.

Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I can't comment on Musk and this FSD event.

But I would say that the pressure he was under with things like production hell and the issue he had with the authorities over comments he made - put him at burn out risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

sk8board wrote: »
    And yet here you are. 8100 witty retorts in just 2 years. A phenomenal waste of precious time don’t you think? :)
    Not sure what my post volume has to do with either the model 3 or your rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ELM327 wrote: »
    sometimes it's best to not engage with these mouthbreathers.
    sk8board wrote: »
    And yet here you are. 8100 witty retorts in just 2 years. A phenomenal waste of precious time don’t you think? :)

You both threadbanned until Monday 6th May

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

unkel wrote: »
    That's astonishing. Nearly all European supercharger stations already have at least 2 CCS connections. Within a couple of months of the Model 3 being available. Even in the UK, where you can't even get the car yet.

Well, all those rich Europeans who want to do road trips through UK and Ireland will need to charge their Model 3s somewhere.

Come on May (the month), it's my guestimate as to when UK/Ireland ordering will open.

In case someone hasn't seen it yet. Tesla FSD (full self driving) as demonstrated yesterday in a Model 3:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I took a look at the S today in Sandyford.

I’d have to say, it doesn’t feel as well put together as the premium brands, I have an Audi myself and had just been in a Volvo XC90 T8, the Tesla definitely felt a bit cheaper inside, just how I saw it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement