Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AidenL wrote: »
    I took a look at the S today in Sandyford.

I’d have to say, it doesn’t feel as well put together as the premium brands, I have an Audi myself and had just been in a Volvo XC90 T8, the Tesla definitely felt a bit cheaper inside, just how I saw it?

No, not just you. It’s well known they are not on par with bmw, Audi, vw just yet.

The new ones now are a step above what was there before and they will keep improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

kceire wrote: »
    No, not just you. It’s well known they are not on par with bmw, Audi, vw just yet.

The new ones now are a step above what was there before and they will keep improving.
    No, they're not. The talk today is about car sharing your Tesla. There is absolutely no way I'd be car sharing a model 3 because Tesla would not reimburse me for the damage that would inevitably be done to that piano black wrapped panel in the centre of the cabin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Silly question here but can I just walk into Tesla in Sandyford and have a look around even if I don't have the finances to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I saw my first Model 3 in the flesh this week in Vilamoura, while I appreciate the tech I wasn’t overly impressed with its presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Yep, it wasn’t bad as such, just not as good as the Germans. The Model 3 hopefully will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Old diesel wrote: »
    Silly question here but can I just walk into Tesla in Sandyford and have a look around even if I don't have the finances to buy one.

Yep, no problem. You could even book a test drive in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

AidenL wrote: »
    Yep, it wasn’t bad as such, just not as good as the Germans. The Model 3 hopefully will be better.

The Model3 is mass production and lower quality to the premium cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Have they lowered the age required to have a test drive? I could have sworn not too long ago you had to be over 25. The website now says 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Just to add a datapoint I have commented previously on the thread noting just how different the quality of the model 3 and the 3 series were when I sat into the Chicago launch car for the model 3, and it was what I could only describe as cheap and nasty.

The model 3 interior as now shipping is significantly different, the rear seats are unrecognisable, the dash is (mostly) different, many pieces of trim have been upgraded, and there are I understand significant differences in the front seats too.

So they have improved significantly, but I still think that a Mondeo is far better built not to mention any of the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

CFC007 wrote: »
    If anyone would like a referral code for €30 off let me know by PM. With the referral the Model S can be got for little as €69 mid week!

Yes please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Think I saw a red model 3 yesterday just off the Tallaght junction of the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Ush1 wrote: »

That would be sensational news if it was. LHD or RHD?

Someone on Twitter claiming to have seen a RHD in UK yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ush1 wrote: »

This would be the first one spotted. It was possibly a MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Could easily be a tourist from continental Europe in a LHR Model 3. Multicoat red is the best colour imho but at €2,700 crazy money :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fairly sure I read yesterday that a car hire company here has imported ten lhd model 3 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

unkel wrote: »
    Could easily be a tourist from continental Europe in a LHR Model 3. Multicoat red is the best colour imho but at €2,700 crazy money :eek:

It's down in price since earlier this month, 'only' €2,100 now, which is the same price as Blue + White seats so I'm torn which to choose (very first world, I know)

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Fairly sure I read yesterday that a car hire company here has imported ten lhd model 3 ...

UFOdrive they are called, and they "took delivery of 12 left-hand drive Tesla Model 3s in recent days for its European operations and will have a fleet of 10 Model 3s in Dublin by the autumn. "

They have to wait to buy RHD models like the rest of us as they wouldn't get insurance to rent out LHD ones here.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

catharsis wrote: »
    Just to add a datapoint I have commented previously on the thread noting just how different the quality of the model 3 and the 3 series were when I sat into the Chicago launch car for the model 3, and it was what I could only describe as cheap and nasty.

The model 3 interior as now shipping is significantly different, the rear seats are unrecognisable, the dash is (mostly) different, many pieces of trim have been upgraded, and there are I understand significant differences in the front seats too.

So they have improved significantly, but I still think that a Mondeo is far better built not to mention any of the Germans.

It's a well-known fact that Tesla interior quality is on the cheap and nasty side it's basically the same as a Nissan/Kia/Peugeot type interior. Most people that buy them this is not a big concern as they are more interested in the cheaper running costs and the technical aspects of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just to add my 2 cents having driven a model s via the UFO rental place in Stephens Green. It was my first time driving an electric car, I'm not really in the market for a model S, aiming for a Kia Niro at some point in 2020.

In a way, my expectations were thrown on their head. I was expecting the drive to be only ok and the "experience" to be amazing. Instead, the drive was the highlight and the whole big screen experience was a let down.
    • The car drives beautifully. Obviously it has the astonishing acceleration but even beyond that it drives like a top end premium car (and it should at that price!)
    • The interior is refined and, except for the screen, understated.
    • The car looks gorgeous from the outside.
    • The regen on standard mode is quite strong and takes a bit of getting to, it really is a different way of driving from a car that can coast.
    • On the negative side, I was surprised at how hokey the big screen was. I use Android Auto in my current car and this screen is *miles* behind AA.
    • It may well be that it was just I didn't know how to set up/use the screen properly. For example, I couldn't get it to show me SMS or WhatsApp notifications, or figure out how I could reply to them via voice.
    • The mapping was a major disappointment compared to Android Auto, especially given how much of the screen (and the dash) they give to the map. As far as I could see it doesn't show traffic, which is pretty much a deal breaker for anybody used to AA's maps. The ability to see how far ahead a jam goes is very calming when you're stuck in traffic. I wonder if its just Ireland that doesn't get traffic? Or I didn't get to the right setup screen to turn it on?
    • In general, the UI seemed... old fashioned? It is like a tablet UI from a (good) few years ago, with a lot of smallish icons that just don't seem appropriate for a car interface. Tesla really need to up their game to try and catch up with AA/CarPlay.
    • Edit! One other strange negative that may just be down to me not figuring out how to do it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to "unshade" the panoramic roof. As standard it very (very) dark - 3 out of the 4 people I had in the car wouldn't believe it was see through initially, and all 4 asked me to open it! I was assuming it had electro shading (like a fancy internal office window) but if it has it, I couldn't find it!

So that was it, a lovely drive but overall I wasn't blown away like I was expecting to be. For tech heads like me, the UI is a major part of getting a new car and I would actually rule Tesla out based on the UI I experienced in the Model S. I can understand why Tesla want to keep Google and Apple out (they see themselves setting up a whole ecosystem and the drive data is part of that), but at this stage they are doing their customers a disservice, and the upcoming generation who are growing up on AA/CarPlay just wouldn't go for such a hokey experience.

If anyone wants to try for themselves w 30e off PM me for a referral code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

$700m loss in Q1

Love Tesla, but not sure how much longer they can go on, they should be making hay now with no competition

$2.2b in cash left, they had over $4.5b end of 2017

https://electrek.co/2019/04/24/tesla-tsla-q1-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just to add my 2 cents having driven a model s via the UFO rental place in Stephens Green. It was my first time driving an electric car, I'm not really in the market for a model S, aiming for a Kia Niro at some point in 2020.

In a way, my expectations were thrown on their head. I was expecting the drive to be only ok and the "experience" to be amazing. Instead, the drive was the highlight and the whole big screen experience was a let down.
    • The car drives beautifully. Obviously it has the astonishing acceleration but even beyond that it drives like a top end premium car (and it should at that price!)
    • The regen on standard mode is quite strong and takes a bit of getting to, it really is a different way of driving from a car that can coast.
    • On the negative side, I was surprised at how hokey the big screen was. I use Android Auto in my current car and this screen is *miles* behind AA.
    • It may well be that it was just I didn't know how to set up/use the screen properly. For example, I couldn't get it to show me SMS or WhatsApp notifications, or figure out how I could reply to them via voice.
    • The mapping was a major disappointment compared to Android Auto, especially given how much of the screen (and the dash) they give to the map. As far as I could see it doesn't show traffic, which is pretty much a deal breaker for anybody used to AA's maps. The ability to see how far ahead a jam goes is very calming when you're stuck in traffic. I wonder if its just Ireland that doesn't get traffic? Or I didn't get to the right setup screen to turn it on?
    • In general, the UI seemed... old fashioned? It is like a tablet UI from a (good) few years ago, with a lot of smallish icons that just don't seem appropriate for a car interface. Tesla really need to up their game to try and catch up with AA/CarPlay.
    • Edit! One other strange negative that may just be down to me not figuring out how to do it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to "unshade" the panoramic roof. As standard it very (very) dark - 3 out of the 4 people I had in the car wouldn't believe it was see through initially, and all 4 asked me to open it! I was assuming it had electro shading (like a fancy internal office window) but if it has it, I couldn't find it!

So that was it, a lovely drive but overall I wasn't blown away like I was expecting to be. For tech heads like me, the UI is a major part of getting a new car and I would actually rule Tesla out based on the UI I experienced in the Model S. I can understand why Tesla want to keep Google and Apple out (they see themselves setting up a whole ecosystem and the drive data is part of that), but at this stage they are doing their customers a disservice, and the upcoming generation who are growing up on AA/CarPlay just wouldn't go for such a hokey experience.

Traffic information is available. There are several map modes. Maybe you need to zoom in a bit to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Traffic information is available. There are several map modes. Maybe you need to zoom in a bit to see it.

Yes quite possibly I didn't have it in the right mode. But I don't think it was a question of zooming in, the dash itself shows a zoomed in map and there was no traffic info on that. I'm looking again at pics I took of the big screen when it is quite zoomed out and there are areas away from my route that have what may be traffic indicator lines on them, but as you say maybe in that view the big solid blue route line overwrites them? But certainly in the dash view, which is the main one you are looking at as you are driving, there were no traffic indication colours or lines visible.

Yes quite possibly I didn't have it in the right mode. But I don't think it was a question of zooming in, the dash itself shows a zoomed in map and there was no traffic info on that. I'm looking again at pics I took of the big screen when it is quite zoomed out and there are areas away from my route that have what may be traffic indicator lines on them, but as you say maybe in that view the big solid blue route line overwrites them? But certainly in the dash view, which is the main one you are looking at as you are driving, there were no traffic indication colours or lines visible.

There is currently no traffic information in the binnacle display.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No Android Auto is big minus for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Model3 is mass production and lower quality to the premium cars....

Ah yes, my Audi A6 was handbuilt of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ah yes, my Audi A6 was handbuilt of course.

To a large extent, it was. The idea that robots can be used to build cars solely, without human involvement, is the principal reason behind Tesla's current death spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

cnocbui wrote: »
    To a large extent, it was. The idea that robots can be used to build cars solely, without human involvement, is the principal reason behind Tesla's current death spiral.

One bad quarter before the profitable Q2 (of course this is pure speculation until July) isn't exactly a death spiral. Things will stabilise as long as the Model 3 continue to be delived in Europe at a steady stream. This combined with the just released Model S/X refresh which will go on sale shortly.

Tesla won't be able to grow much past their current sales until the Chinese factory starts producing cars, which is unfortunate but no can do.

samih wrote: »
    One bad quarter before the profitable Q2 (of course this is pure speculation until July) isn't exactly a death spiral. Things will stabilise as long as the Model 3 continue to be delived in Europe at a steady stream. This combined with the just released Model S/X refresh which will go on sale shortly.

Tesla won't be able to grow much past their current sales until the Chinese factory starts producing cars, which is unfortunate but no can do.

Tesla guided for a loss in Q2 and profit in Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I suppose to counter that, Tesla also said last year that it expected every quarter to be profitable from here on in.... they are reversing that now with two loss making quarters. Surely he knew last year he was going to have delivery issues when he started shipping to Europe/China.

I dont think you can take any heed to Tesla's guidance at this stage. I still hope they survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

KCross wrote: »
    I suppose to counter that, Tesla also said last year that it expected every quarter to be profitable from here on in.... they are reversing that now with two loss making quarters. Surely he knew last year he was going to have delivery issues when he started shipping to Europe/China.

I dont think you can take any heed to Tesla's guidance at this stage. I still hope they survive it.

In fairness they did explicitly warn about the Q1 ahead of time. But non-profitable Q2 could be right too I admit after giving this a second though: The Model S/X base models were dropped before the refresh to shape the market (dramatic drop in sales numbers) and the Model 3 average selling price went down due to more basic models available.

It's a difficult situation for sure as the company only have enough capacity to build about 6000/7000 Models 3 per week across all the markets until China opens. But the refreshed S/X will become available for delivery towards the end of the Q2 and the European deliveries hopefully will continue at a steady pace so the second quarter should be a less of a loss anyway. And the Q3 will be awesome (and really awesome from about Q2/2020 on when the production of the optimised Model 3 is due to ramp up with rumoured CATL cells).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »

The problem is not the delivery to Europe, it is the lack of sales in the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement