Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

As I say, more fool them :-)

Indeed, no convincing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,641 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This post has been deleted.
    The leaf is in the golf size category. before the 320d I had a golf and a mondeo.

And I can assure you, there is nothing luxury about doing 50-70k km per annum in a 500 quid auction BMW. That car had over 300,000 on the clock when the turbo and clutch died the same month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/tesla-sets-up-shop-here-and-shows-range-anxiety-is-thing-of-past-in-its-cars-of-future-35653119.html

However i think the reviewer needs to back to the drawing board re his maths. Also I think it's a very nit picking and begrudging piece.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The leaf is in the golf size category. before the 320d I had a golf and a mondeo.

And I can assure you, there is nothing luxury about doing 50-70k km per annum in a 500 quid auction BMW. That car had over 300,000 on the clock when the turbo and clutch died the same month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The i3 has a larger passenger cabin than the 3-series, has the same length as a Ford Fiesta, has a sub-10 meter turning circle equivalent to the Fiat 500e and it's more fun to drive than an M3.

Dedicated electric car platforms normally have interiors 1-2 segments above what you'd expect. VW is finding that out with the I.D which will be shorter than a Golf with more interior space than a Passat.

Anyway back on topic... Tesla have confirmed the third supercharger location at the westbound Enfield MSA.
    Work has also started on the supercharger at Bodelwyddan services (which many of you may know as the Ecotricity location in North Wales often the first charger after the ferry (unless you are skipping it and heading for Chester))

It's a shame Tesla chargers are tesla only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

It's a shame Tesla chargers are tesla only.

All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,641 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

some of the destination chargers are compatible with all type2 cars
    I've seen reports on the facebook group of a Zoe charging at a tesla destination charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Fun is not necessarily doing donuts and going sideways in each corner you see fit. Fun is having practical car which saves money but still have tons of acceleration and play out of it for fraction of cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Have you driven both?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,064 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maybe it was a bit of an exaggeration, but the i3 is in a class of its own for drivers fun. It's RWD and more chuckable than any other EV. Also a lot faster than anything else south of the Teslas. And hey, no surprises there, it is after all a BMW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Fair enough, your opinion then at least is based on actual experience. I'd still disagree and say an i3 is more fun day to day. I have had a bit of time in an E90 M3 also so coming from experience there too. Certainly not delusional to say an i3 is more fun but could see someone disagreeing.

I used to own an E90 M3 so I am directly comparing.

The M3's power is undeniable but it's less accessible and less usable day-to-day.

I floor my i3 from every light... something I couldn't do in my E90.

Ireland's first Tesla supercharger opened today.

8-bay supercharger at Topaz Manor Stone services Ballacolla, Laois.
    Couple of Model S and X showed up throughout the day.
    Topaz Birdhill, Tipperary supercharger is under construction, and Enfield supercharger planning application should be in by the 1st of May.
    Click for full res.

20170426_160423.jpg 20170426_160442.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Are they not going to lay down asphalt? Looks a bit scruffy looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

cros13 wrote: »
    Topaz Birdhill, Tipperary supercharger is under construction

Birdhill is now going to be a 12 stall Supercharger I think? According to the updated planning.
    boardzz wrote: »

Yep.

boardzz wrote: »

Nope... they have laid down plastic grids to keep the stones in place. and the substation and supercharger inverters will be hidden by fencing. They also have some landscaping still to be done.

Also they've prewired and left space to double the number of inverters.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Nope... they have laid down plastic grids to keep the stones in place.

Really? I thought they mentioned last night they were just waiting to lay down some tarmac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Nope... they have laid down plastic grids to keep the stones in place. and the substation and supercharger inverters will be hidden by fencing. They also have some landscaping still to be done.

Also they've prewired and left space to double the number of inverters.

They can't mark the spaces if there's no surface to paint. PP application has painted bays.

If they don't mark them that area will fill up with A4 TDi "weapons", muck spreaders, caravans etc.

Really? I thought they mentioned last night they were just waiting to lay down some tarmac.

Maybe to the access road... but it's normal enough that the bays themselves just have stones. They've fitted bumpers and everything.

Many of the superchargers in norway are similar.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    They can't mark the spaces if there's no surface to paint. PP application has painted bays.

The bays are already marked with concrete... take a look at the high res images and zoom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Topaz Birdhill, Tipperary supercharger is under construction, and Enfield supercharger planning application should be in by the 1st of May.
    Click for full res.

@cros13, since you've been onsite...

- What total power is available at that site based on the substation that was put in?
    - What is the max output of those superchargers... 135kW?
    - In theory if there were 8 cars charging together what would each be able to draw based on the available power? Are they equally load shared or is it paired?
    - What is the charge profile like on a Tesla. Is it 135kW right up to 90%, because they are active cooled, or is it more conservative than that?

I'm just researching for when I get my Model S!

@BoatMad, you've mentioned a few times that eCars and CER are against the idea of charging by kWh as it would require a license to do so. In the article posted earlier in this thread it said that Tesla are charging 20c/kWh over a basic free allocation. Does that mean that Tesla have such a license or is the whole license thing a smoke screen by eCars?!

KCross wrote: »
    - What total power is available at that site based on the substation that was put in?

680kVA with room to expand. The plan is to supplement with local batteries if possible to reduce their bills due to peak demand.
    - What is the max output of those superchargers... 135kW?

4 x 135kW, shared between pairs. The white boxes at the rear of the site in front of the substation are the four inverters.
    - In theory if there were 8 cars charging together what would each be able to draw based on the available power? Are they equally load shared or is it paired?

Power is dynamically shared between pairs of cars. As one car ramps down approaching 80-90% more of the total 135kW is allocated to the other connected car.
    - What is the charge profile like on a Tesla. Is it 135kW right up to 90%, because they are active cooled, or is it more conservative than that?

A ramp to 120kW, max rate only for the middle of the battery and then tails off aggressively near 80%. It's lot that dissimilar to a leaf, just higher power. I don't think they even have a car yet that can take the full 135kW.

Click for full res.

20170426_160423.jpg 20170426_160442.jpg

No Solar panels ? :eek:

Shame they're limited to Tesla only, shame on you Elon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Power is dynamically shared between pairs of cars. As one car ramps down approaching 80-90% more of the total 135kW is allocated to the other connected car.

Does the first car to connect on a pair get priority until it "releases" its demand?

Does the first car to connect on a pair get priority until it "releases" its demand?

No, if both cars are say Model S 100Ds and start charging at the same time, they will split the power evenly at 67.5kW at peak.

In practice, people arrive at different times, have different battery capacities and come in at different states of charge. Owners taking road trips together or whatever generally know enough to use even or odd stalls to avoid being paired with each other.
    So if you arrive on 10% and a car is there on 60% your charge time won't be much different than if you had the pair to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is there a technical reason for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

grogi wrote: »

Is there a technical reason for that?

Might have something to do with surface water drainage e.g. SUDS-esque ?
    A permeable surface, to allow buffering of the water before hitting a treatment plant nearby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement