Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options
1138139140141142144»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

jusmeig wrote: »
    Or just really like their products and the companies vision.

Seems the companies vision is to sell shoddy quality cars to hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

TCP/IP wrote: »

I'd rather support a company making only EVs than someone trying to stall the shift to clean transportation just so they can keep selling filthy petrol and diesel cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 CentsPerLitre

Wouldn’t be gone on electric cars, give them another 10 years before they’re fully developed

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I'd rather support a company making only EVs than someone trying to stall the shift to clean transportation just so they can keep selling filthy petrol and diesel cars.

No problem there will always be people that purchase tech that is not ready for mass market hell you will probably buy a Samsung Galaxy Fold phone.

Look at the idiots putting deposits on the Volkswagen ID today having never seen it outside or inside or knowing the actual details pure crazy.
    Mod note - banned for uncivil

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

No problem there will always be people that purchase tech that is not ready for mass market hell you will probably buy a Samsung Galaxy Fold phone.

Look at the idiots putting deposits on the Volkswagen ID today having never seen it outside or inside or knowing the actual details pure crazy.

1000 Euro refundable deposit.... in an environment where interest rates are zero or even negative?

The cost of such an 'option' to secure a new car early (if it turns out to be any good) is zero. Ask any rational person whether they would take a zero-cost-option on something...

Who are the idiots exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You're once again not being rational. Why would it be crazy? It's a fully refundable deposit, get your money back any time. It could well be that by the time the cars are ready to be delivered, that this deposit is worth a lot more than the €1,000 people are paying now. Even if you have no interest in buying the car, it's a free gamble. Who is the idiot here?

Hell, might stick one in myself later :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Some are even flying out there for the unveil in Frankfurt :P

This Shefwedfan VW representative is sponsoring it :pac:

I've always been an early tech adopter except for phones, which I rarely use as I've got an iPod touch that does pretty much all I need. I have a perfectly fine Google Nexus 5 which I have no intention in changing as long as it works.

My main reason for getting a Tesla was the technology, which keeps getting better with every update despite a few bugs every now and then, but no cars, EVs or otherwise, are completely without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who is idiot exactly?

Fully refundable. Potentially the 1st Edition at a better price than standard ID.3 when it launchs. Another few things thrown in

They release in September, I don't like, I get my 1k back. If I do like then I order. I get the car before everyone else....I have tracked the ID now for 2 years or more now....

It's not like I don't like a VW.....

Who will be the idiot when they have to pay 3-4k more for the same car I get because I picked it up as launch edition???

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who is idiot exactly?

Fully refundable. Potentially the 1st Edition at a better price than standard ID.3 when it launchs. Another few things thrown in

They release in September, I don't like, I get my 1k back. If I do like then I order. I get the car before everyone else....I have tracked the ID now for 2 years or more now....

Who will be the idiot when they have to pay 3-4k more for the same car I get because I picked it up as launch edition???

You will be the idiot because you will have bought a generation 1 version of that car. The rush to get into EV makes no sense your basically a beta tester. People are getting fooled with fancy software when the underlying cars are of poor quality. I would expect VW to be a lot better than Tesla but that remains to be seen. You would be better off keeping your money for another 5 years and let the tech and market mature.

I was offered an i8 today for basically no difference in price to my current car literally a free swap from a BMW main dealer and I had the same agrument with them that it makes zero sense to me.
    They can't give these cars away and the depreciation is dam scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

You will be the idiot because you will have bought a generation 1 version of that car. The rush to get into EV makes no sense your basically a beta tester. People are getting fooled with fancy software when the underlying cars are of poor quality. I would expect VW to be a lot better than Tesla but that remains to be seen. You would be better off keeping your money for another 5 years and let the tech and market mature.

You're just assuming the car will be of poor quality. I'm not sure why you feel the need to put down people's decisions to do something.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    You're just assuming the car will be of poor quality. I'm not sure why you feel the need to put down people's decisions to do something.

I think the VW will be of better quality than Tesla that I have no doubt it the underlying EV market I have an issue with its simply to early.

You will be the idiot because you will have bought a generation 1 version of that car. The rush to get into EV makes no sense your basically a beta tester.

You're clutching at straws.

I bought the first EV that Hyundai ever made and almost at the very start. Did I have any problems well over 2 years in? No. did anyone else? No not really, the only known issues for the early cars were a tiny issue with a brake pad making noise and some people reported that a charge port got stuck (and they didn't manage the manual override). And a software setting about charging times that sometimes got lost. Small issues that were promptly fixed with recalls / under warranty

VW have been making EVs for well over 5 years when the ID range comes out. They are the biggest car maker in the world, masters of mass production of quality products

I was offered an i8 today for basically no difference in price to my current car literally a free swap from a BMW main dealer and I had the same agrument with them that it makes zero sense to me.

That's your opinion....Anyway its off topic......

Unkel above said it....plus the VW will have OTA updates, so those pesky software issues will be resolved while I am tucked up in bed

I think the VW will be of better quality than Tesla that I have no doubt it the underlying EV market I have an issue with its simply to early.

Have you even driven an EV?

The Volkswagen e-Golf was unveiled in 2013. VW, Nissan, Tesla and others have a lot of experience with EVs. What exactly are you waiting for?

The only real issue is the charging network but it is getting better as more charging stations are added.

i8 is not an EV. It is a petrol hybrid plug in with a tiny range. PHEV is mostly a tax compliance setup that will soon be forgotten about

EVs depreciation is extremely low. For years the Tesla Model S was the car with the lowest depreciation in the UK (bar some exotica), despite its build quality issues and its very high purchase price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Haters gonna hate.

unkel wrote: »
    i8 is not an EV. It is a petrol hybrid plug in with a tiny range. PHEV is mostly a tax compliance setup that will soon be forgotten about

EVs depreciation is extremely low. For years the Tesla Model S was the car with the lowest depreciation in the UK (bar some exotica), despite its build quality issues and its very high purchase price

Next comparison fired out will be a Ferrari v Micra.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who is idiot exactly?

The guy who bought the first privately owned Ford Model T was effectively buying into something new.

Same with the original Beetle, Morris Minor, original Fiat 500 and Citroën 2CV when all those were introduced.

Same with common rail diesels in 98 to 2000. Although with the latter people assumed that because it was a Peugeot diesel or an Isuzu diesel "it would be grand". And with the Peugeot - it actually was with the 2.0 litre 406 HDI.

Isuzu on the other hand...... nope let's not go there - LOL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

An i8 is actually one car I would have zero interest in at all. If I got one for free I’d attempt to sell it to buy something else.

• Advertisement

Let’s get back to the over priced, poorly build Tesla Model 3.....hahaha

What’s that I hear?? Bang bang bang...sound like a nail in a coffin

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

You really would have to be an idiot to purchase a new Tesla totally mental.

Waahayy! I'm an idiot hipster....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread stopped being about Tesla 3 and is now just a chat thread generating reports because of all the bicker.
    Rather than banning/infracting I am just closing this chat thread.

A new Tesla 3 thread can be started by serious posters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement