Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The problem is not the delivery to Europe, it is the lack of sales in the US.

The lack of sales in US is due to half or more of the production sent to other markets. They only have a fixed number of cars to sell. The full production first went to US but now it's split between US/Europe/Asia. It is also the only reason why Tesla can't start selling the Model Y today as this would mean they would have to pretty much stop selling the Model 3.

Tesla badly needs more production capacity to be able to do what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

samih wrote: »
    In fairness they did explicitly warn about the Q1 ahead of time. But non-profitable Q2 could be right too I admit after giving this a second though

He did mention less deliveries due to cars in transit but still said profitable from here on in... that was only a few months ago.

I would hold my optimism for a profitable Q3 until it actually happened and I don’t believe his dates for the China factory being operational either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057581204 is a better place to discuss TSLA the stock.

KCross wrote: »
    He did mention less deliveries due to cars in transit but still said profitable from here on in... that was only a few months ago.

I would hold my optimism for a profitable Q3 until it actually happened and I don’t believe his dates for the China factory being operational either.

It a one big waiting game with Tesla as usual. They still have lots to learn from the logicstics point of view.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The lack of sales in US is due to half or more of the production sent to other markets. They only have a fixed number of cars to sell. The full production first went to US but now it's split between US/Europe/Asia. It is also the only reason why Tesla can't start selling the Model Y today as this would mean they would have to pretty much stop selling the Model 3.

Tesla badly needs more production capacity to be able to do what they want to do.

This is completely untrue if you want a model S/X/3 in the US you can have them within a few weeks it's not like the issues are that they don't have a huge wait time it's to the fact they are not selling in the necessary numbers.

• Advertisement

TCP/IP wrote: »
    This is completely untrue if you want a model S/X/3 in the US you can have them within a few weeks it's not like the issues are that they don't have a huge wait time it's to the fact they are not selling in the necessary numbers.

I guess it could be that the market is temporarily saturated in US due to the tax credits ending and the push to sell as many cars a possible before the production was diverted to the other Geos. But with the Model S/X the issue seems to be that only the top of the range models have been on sale for the past weeks and techonologically they have been left behind the Model 3.

This has now been fixed and generating sales for them has to be priority for Tesla as they have plenty of manufacturing capacity for them. And the pair (especially the X) is what the market wants all around the world. The saloons are largely out.

I haven't heard that there would be thousands of unsold Model 3 clutting the factory grounds or delivery centres unlike is the case with GM etc. And both GM and Ford are totally pulling out from producing saloons like the Model 3.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I guess it could be that the market is temporarily saturated in US due to the tax credits ending and the push to sell as many cars a possible before the production was diverted to the other Geos. But with the Model S/X the issue seems to be that only the top of the range models have been on sale for the past weeks and techonologically they have been left behind the Model 3.

This has now been fixed and generating sales for them has to be priority for Tesla as they have plenty of manufacturing capacity for them. And the pair (especially the X) is what the market wants all around the world. The saloons are largely out.

I haven't heard that there would be thousands of unsold Model 3 clutting the factory grounds or delivery centres unlike is the case with GM etc. And both GM and Ford are totally pulling out from producing saloons like the Model 3.

Tesla downgraded and a sell put on their stock by analysts is just the tip of the iceberg for Tesla. As I have said all along they will be successful but only when their IP and patents are bought for cents on the $ by larger manufacturer or a tech giant. They should become a technology business, not a car manufacturer and licenses their technology to the big boys that can actually produce quality cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tesla's problem isn't manufacturing capacity, it's an evaporation of demand for all models. Their revenue fell 41% for the quarter.
    Now the company appears to be facing a demand problem. Tesla made slightly more Model 3s in the first quarter but delivered 20% fewer than the previous quarter. Model S and X deliveries dropped 56%.
    https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-earnings-elon-musk-quarter-20190424-story.html

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Tesla downgraded and a sell put on their stock by analysts is just the tip of the iceberg for Tesla. As I have said all along they will be successful but only when their IP and patents are bought for cents on the $ by larger manufacturer or a tech giant. They should become a technology business, not a car manufacturer and licenses their technology to the big boys that can actually produce quality cars.

Analysts focus on the short term. TSLA is holding up well after the earnings report.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Tesla's problem isn't manufacturing capacity, it's an evaporation of demand for all models. Their revenue fell 41% for the quarter.
    https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-earnings-elon-musk-quarter-20190424-story.html

They haven't even started delivering cheaper models in Europe and Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cnocbui wrote: »

How many were in transit. ? The previous quarter was distorted as they had none outside the states in transit

ted1 wrote: »
    How many were in transit. ? The previous quarter was distorted as they had none outside the states in transit

About 10,000 if I remember correctly.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    About 10,000 if I remember correctly.

That's about 1.5 weeks of production, right. For the other reasons for the lesser revenue we have to wait and see what happens after the improved model S/X starts to ship in volume. There was definitely some demand shaping (no standard range cars available) from the company throughout Q1 until now combined with the rumours of upgraded models launching soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Production is not the issue...

Production is not the issue...

I haven't heard any reports of Tesla slowing down the production rates of Model 3. Are they accumulating unsold cars somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I definitely think Tesla still have the upper hand in terms of infrastructure and general technology (range to price to performance), however the wow factor is beginning to slightly wear off with the increase in competition, as well as stale designs and the Model Y was anything but inspiring.

Getting the Model 3 to a good a price point is fundamental for the company going forward and particularly when it comes to the Irish and UK markets I really don't think many people will touch the model 3 at a 50k plus price point. The Model Y maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Looks we might have some cars in the next 2-3 months. Assuming Ireland is included in this also.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1121469940815425536?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

hatrack wrote: »
    Looks we might have some cars in the next 2-3 months. Assuming Ireland is included in this also.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1121478988386324481?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

monstrositys

• Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Next month's Top Gear magazine cover:

O1EglTZ.jpg

Tesla Model 3 beats BMW M3 on a race track. Looking forward to reading that / seeing the video. I did not honestly believe that would happen for another few years. Sure the party trick of EVs is the incredible acceleration and the Tesla Model 3 is much, much faster off the line than the M3. Sure a 100k Tesla Model S is as fast as two million dollar hypercars like the Ferrari LaFerrari and the Porsche 918

But a new comer like Tesla actually making a car that drives so well it beats the car that has been the bench mark for performance saloons for decades???

I felt this deserved its own thread on the main motors forum, so I started a new thread there about this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

hatrack wrote: »

Confirmed Model 3 cancelled in Ireland due to battery shortages.

(At least that's what Tesla fans would be saying if this was VW, Hyundai or other manufacturers)

On a serious note, I presume Ireland will go live around the same time, the vehicles are exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

UK orders to start May 1st/2nd according to Musk. Its Musk time though so it might slip.

Expecting the cheapest model to be north of £40k... The Standard Range probably won't be available in the UK at all.

Do they have a demo car anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

kuro68k wrote: »
    UK orders to start May 1st/2nd according to Musk. Its Musk time though so it might slip.

Expecting the cheapest model to be north of £40k... The Standard Range probably won't be available in the UK at all.

Do they have a demo car anywhere in Ireland?

I was told they'd have it in by Summer last December when I went to book a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Calling out to Tesla today to look at the S and X so I'll let you know if the 3 is in 🀞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tesla running a bit scared of VW launching the ID by any chance :-)

Highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Those press releases hmm 🀔

I guess they don't have a demo car at Sandyford then, even just to look at.

How are we supposed to order without even seeing one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i was all for buying a model 3 asap when I thought the price would be around 35k euros, at 50k? nope, another diesel for a few years this year. or maybe a used model s if the prices do drop later in the eyar.

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i was all for buying a model 3 asap when I thought the price would be around 35k euros, at 50k? nope, another diesel for a few years this year. or maybe a used model s if the prices do drop later in the eyar.

Not sure a used Model S is a good idea. The affordable ones will be early models, which had a lot of problems. Out of warranty they cost a fortune to fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement