Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

In most cases the Christmas bonus is used to buy cheap slabs of beer and alcopops. You sound like someone from a privileged background who has a romanticised version of the welfare class.

One can pick a very nice Burgundy, AND, and pretty top notch bottle of vintage Champagne with the Christmas bonus, which would enhance anyone's Christmas dinner.
    That slab of beer and alcopops stereotype is rather insulting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

One can pick a very nice Burgundy, AND, and pretty top notch bottle of vintage Champagne with the Christmas bonus, which would enhance anyone's Christmas dinner.
    That slab of beer and alcopops stereotype is rather insulting.

Nice! I suppose it all tastes good when it’s free. It’s a lovely picture the welfare family in their new track suits and football jerseys huddled around the fire, celebrating Christmas for what it is rather the feast of materialism it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

road_high wrote: »
    Genuine disability yes. But we’ve had an explosion in “disability’s” the past two decades- another scam to get on the scratcher for life in some quarters. Course it can’t be tackled with the do gooder brigade dictating the running of the country.

what do gooder brigade is dictating the running of the country, and how are they preventing the tackling of people scamming disability benefit?
    road_high wrote: »
    Exactly. So the even more bizarre situation whereby the longer it is since you contributed the more you get back from taxpayers. Sheer madness, link the lot to your contributions and after that food stamps with mininal cash only.

i'd imagine that food stamps are unlikely as chances are it would be cost prohibitive to get a fully workable system up and running which would both allow for these stamps to work properly, and prevent a black market trade and other possible abuses should they exist.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

In most cases the Christmas bonus is used to buy cheap slabs of beer and alcopops.

in most cases? i have no doubt that is the case in some cases but most? i find that hard to believe. has this been verified for definite by any state agency or report?
    You sound like someone from a privileged background who has a romanticised version of the welfare class.

or perhapse he's just someone who lives in the real world, who understands that there are scammers but it's not the whole or most of the wellfare class?

in most cases? i have no doubt that is the case in some cases but most? i find that hard to believe. has this been verified for definite by any state agency or report?

or perhapse he's just someone who lives in the real world, who understands that there are scammers but it's not the whole or most of the wellfare class?
    Can you point to the report that disproves it. Loads of work, free education and subsidised childcare around especially for the welfare class. No real excuse for most able bodied people to be on welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

In most cases the Christmas bonus is used to buy cheap slabs of beer and alcopops. You sound like someone from a privileged background who has a romanticised version of the welfare class.

....sounding remarkably like someone from a "privileged background" with a heavily stereotyped notion of the "welfare class".

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....sounding remarkably like someone from a "privileged background" with a heavily stereotyped notion of the "welfare class".
    If you are on a low income that’s all you will be able to afford so it’s not really a stereotype.

Can you point to the report that disproves it. Loads of work, free education and subsidised childcare around especially for the welfare class. No real excuse for most able bodied people to be on welfare.

i'm not the one claiming that most are spending the christmas boness on drink. you are, hence i asked if you were privy to information that i may have missed.
    there is free education and subsidized child care, but not loads of work. there is work, but there is a lot of competition for it, and the few wellfare scammers most certainly would be at the bottom of the pile in terms of potential candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I wont lie you gave me a great laugh with your comment. I'm afraid I'm not of the privileged class; I am the son of a hairdresser and a labourer. Proudly.

You clearly have not read over my previous posts.

The "welfare class". These are certainly the words of someone from a"privileged background". If not, drop the chip on your shoulder.

I bet you never had to leave the country to find work either did you?

i'm not the one claiming that most are spending the christmas boness on drink. you are, hence i asked if you were privy to information that i may have missed.
    there is free education and subsidized child care, but not loads of work. there is work, but there is a lot of competition for it, and the few wellfare scammers most certainly would be at the bottom of the pile in terms of potential candidates.

You are claiming they don’t spend their bonus on drink so you should point me to the report the proves this according to your logic. Also you are now agreeing that they are scammers, thanks for the confirmation.

• Advertisement

I wont lie you gave me a great laugh with your comment. I'm afraid I'm not of the privileged class; I am the son of a hairdresser and a labourer. Proudly.

You clearly have not read over my previous posts.

The "welfare class". These are certainly the words of someone from a"privileged background". If not, drop the chip on your shoulder.

I bet you never had to leave the country to find work either did you?

Your background is not underprivileged that’s for certain. My guess is you went to college and this elevated you to a higher social class than your parents so fair play to you for that. No I didn’t have to leave the country to find work but what’s that got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You make a generalisation about cheap slabs of beer but seek a report off a different poster, get up the yard FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You are claiming they don’t spend their bonus on drink so you should point me to the report the proves this according to your logic. Also you are now agreeing that they are scammers, thanks for the confirmation.

Point to the report that states you aren't talking utter ****e.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You make a generalisation about cheap slabs of beer but seek a report off a different poster, get up the yard FFS.

He says it’s not true and asks for evidence in the form of a report so why shouldn’t I do likewise?

Point to the report that states you aren't talking utter ****e.

Could do this all night but point to the report that says I am!

Could do this all night but point to the report that says I am!

Could you?

Could you?

No I can’t so I mustn't be. See what I did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Where is the report that backs your original suggestion to the contrary?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Where is the report that backs your original suggestion to the contrary?

Where is the other report that’s proves the point to the contrary.

Where is the other report that’s proves the point to the contrary.

I know you are but what am i

• Advertisement

I know you are but what am i

That’s the riddle.

You are claiming they don’t spend their bonus on drink so you should point me to the report the proves this according to your logic.

i'm not claiming "they" don't spend their boness on drink. i'm stating that i find it hard to believe that most wellfare recipients are spending their boness on drink. you on the other hand are claiming that most wellfare recipients spend their boness on drink, which is what started off our discussion.
    Also you are now agreeing that they are scammers, thanks for the confirmation.

i'm agreeing some wellfare recipients are scammers, something i have never denied. however "they" most certainly aren't all scammers.

ArtSmart wrote:
    "The best solution to ease the burden of the 'working poor' is for them to denounce the non-working poor as scroungers."

I like this descriptive, it sums up the thought process of those that seek to be our betters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Your background is not underprivileged that’s for certain. My guess is you went to college and this elevated you to a higher social class than your parents so fair play to you for that. No I didn’t have to leave the country to find work but what’s that got to do with it?

I don't consider myself better than my parents, how dare you.

Drop the chip on your shoulder pal. Pretty quick.

I bet you didn't have to leave the country, why am I not at all surprised.

Infact mods, can we get a ban for this imbecile?

i'm not claiming "they" don't spend their boness on drink. i'm stating that i find it hard to believe that most wellfare recipients are spending their boness on drink. you on the other hand are claiming that most wellfare recipients spend their boness on drink, which is what started off our discussion.

i'm agreeing some wellfare recipients are scammers, something i have never denied. however "they" most certainly aren't all scammers.

Most people drink so it’s logical that they would spend their bonus on drink. The reason why I say they spend their bonus on drink is because on the normal rates of welfare most are only getting by and that is according to those in favour of the bonus. As alcohol is a luxury item it’s only logical that the welfare recipients would spend the extra cash on some luxury items to give them a little boost for Xmas. As for being scammers I still stand by my point that with all the help available for welfare recipients there is no excuse for able bodied people to be getting their income from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Can you point to the report that disproves it.

That's not how it works. As it is you that makes the claim, then it is you that proves it is true.

Of course if such proof existed you'd have posted it a long time ago. You are pulling facts from your arse.

Most people drink so it’s logical that they would spend their bonus on drink. The reason why I say they spend their bonus on drink is because on the normal rates of welfare most are only getting by and that is according to those in favour of the bonus. As alcohol is a luxury item it’s only logical that the welfare recipients would spend the extra cash on some luxury items to give them a little boost for Xmas. As for being scammers I still stand by my point that with all the help available for welfare recipients there is no excuse for able bodied people to be getting their income from the state.

I'm amazed you could cram so much B.S . in such a short synopsis. Cudos.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I'm amazed you could cram so much B.S . in such a short synopsis. Cudos.

The words of a beaten man. I’ve used your own “indisputable” points against you as the evidence for my own point and you have no come back.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's not how it works. As it is you that makes the claim, then it is you that proves it is true.

Of course if such proof existed you'd have posted it a long time ago. You are pulling facts from your arse.

And vice versa. See some proof in post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And vice versa

So you can't prove it. Good night.

Advertisement