Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great news the bonus is being restored, it will help some people out who need it over a time that that can be stressful for some people. I'm just glad it's the lousy Government who's running the country and not the geniuses from boards, if that was the case we might as well just put our thumbs in our mouth and rock back and forth in the corner of somewhere lol

Ironically you applaud the bonus but not the silly govt that restored this obscene waste of taxpayers cash!
    Christmas is a fcukin luxury not a necessity- a year end reward for working hard. If you can't afford Christmas cut your cloth- you'll be doing your kids and family a far bigger favour than wasting scarce cash on crap they can live without.
    I'm only in my 30s but I remember Christmas being a far leaner affair than now. I'd say my folks spent maybe 30pounds or so on each of us (a lot of money for the time) and we had a far lower standard of living than equivalent dole lifers would have now. It's sad to see the way people's sense of pride and self reliance has evaporated into a gimme more cycle of handouts for nothing. That worries me for the future of the nation.

Danzy wrote: »
    Ahh lad for feck sake.

Think about it for 5 minutes.

The very most of that no. are different people to The ones 6 months later and on again 6 months later.

2.1% according to this https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/long-term-unemployment-rate so long term "unemployed" make up almost half the % unemployed. So much for a revolving 6 month thing eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

The Christmas bonus is a great economical stimulus for shops all around the country..It also takes financial pressure off people ,especially those with children..

The Christmas bonus is a great economical stimulus for shops all around the country..It also takes financial pressure off, people especially those with children..

I’ll tell you what would be an ever bigger stimulus- leave it to the people that earned it honestly in the first place- and let them spend it as they see fit. Also would save on pointless admin as the state robs from workers to admister to non workers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

road_high wrote: »
    Ironically you applaud the bonus but not the silly govt that restored this obscene waste of taxpayers cash!
    Christmas is a fcukin luxury not a necessity- a year end reward for working hard. If you can't afford Christmas cut your cloth- you'll be doing your kids and family a far bigger favour than wasting scarce cash on crap they can live without.
    I'm only in my 30s but I remember Christmas being a far leaner affair than now. I'd say my folks spent maybe 30pounds or so on each of us (a lot of money for the time) and we had a far lower standard of living than equivalent dole lifers would have now. It's sad to see the way people's sense of pride and self reliance has evaporated into a gimme more cycle of handouts for nothing. That worries me for the future of the nation.

It's good to see the Christmas spirit alive and well here.

• Advertisement

I’ll tell you what would be an ever bigger stimulus- leave it to the people that earned it honestly in the first place- and let them spend it as they see fit. Also would save on pointless admin as the state robs from workers to admister to non workers

It's not only for non workers,it is also for people who are ill or disabled. We will all avail of it some day,one way or another. Ok we all know the career dolers who wouldn't work to heat themselves, but I for one do not begrudge it to the needy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pensioners , carers , those on disability , and those unfortunate enough to have lost their jobs recently also recieve the bonus . Is that ok with you ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Pensioners , carers , those on disability , and those unfortunate enough to have lost their jobs recently also recieve the bonus . Is that ok with you ?

You have to be unemployed for over a year to qualify for bonus same as fuel allowance.

You have to be unemployed for over a year to qualify for bonus same as fuel allowance.

Sorry yes my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We’ve one of the most generous welfare systems in the world. Fxuking bonus!!! This country is a joke.

• Advertisement

We’ve one of the most generous welfare systems in the world. Fxuking bonus!!! This country is a joke.

Would be an even bigger joke if we didn't look after the unfortunate citizens in our country..And don't forget we will all hopefully reach pension age one day and then we will be very glad of the Xmas bonus.. I think "generous welfare system" is a myth when one sees the prices of basically everything in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,885 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Would be an even bigger joke if we didn't look after the unfortunate citizens in our country..And don't forget we will all hopefully reach pension age one day and then we will be very glad of the Xmas bonus.. I think "generous welfare system" is a myth when one sees the prices of basically everything in the country.
    The poor unfortunates need to get a job.

You know why a lot of them don't have a job? They get more on the welfare than they would if they were working.
    50k is a good annual wage in this country but if you have three kids you should give it up and go on the welfare and you'll be better off.

Bollix!! People on the dole aren’t unfortunate, they get free houses, free healthcare, free dental etc. There’s a Lidl/Aldi near to most people. Struggling to pay for both Sky Sports and BT Sports does not make you unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

eagle eye wrote: »

You know why a lot of them don't have a job? They get more on the welfare than they would if they were working.
    50k is a good annual wage in this country but if you have three kids you should give it up and go on the welfare and you'll be better off.

Completely agree with this, for the perpetually lazy its a lifestyle choice. Bonus...as if the State is their employer!

Bollix!! People on the dole aren’t unfortunate, they get free houses, free healthcare, free dental etc. There’s a Lidl/Aldi near to most people. Struggling to pay for both Sky Sports and BT Sports does not make you unfortunate.

What about pensioners, people who are ill or disabled, social welfare incase you do not know is not only for the unemployed.. I always hear this comment"free house" I never in my lifetime met anyone who has a free house..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's good to see the Christmas spirit alive and well here.
    Looking at how much tax I have paid already this year just makes sure that V de P etc wont get one cent off me for the rest of the year. Fed up subsidising scroungers

What about pensioners, people who are ill or disabled, social welfare incase you do not know is not only for the unemployed.. I always hear this comment"free house" I never in my lifetime met anyone who has a free house..

What about them. I haven’t mentioned them have I??

And if you are given free money by the state, to pay “rent” on a house that’s handed to you by the state, that, in my eyes, is a free house.

What about them. I haven’t mentioned them have I??

And if you are given free money by the state, to pay “rent” on a house that’s handed to you by the state, that, in my eyes, is a free house.

No but my comment regarding unfortunate people was not only directed at the unemployed..We all pay into social services,it's there for any citizen who needs it,so if you or I become sick, disabled or retire from work it's there for us to avail of..it's what makes us a civil caring society and I have no problem paying my share towards it.Yes we all know the lazy good for nothing's who spend their lives sponging but these are the minority and we shouldn't tar everyone on welfare with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

those who can, will. for the rest, there are no jobs for them.

apart from the odd outlying case, i don't believe that to be the case across the board. i believe the reason the small few who remain on wellfare indefinitely do so, is because there is just no chance of them being employed by anyone. of course any employer not paying a fair wage for a fair days work should be forced to do so, so that work is always affordible.

you shouldn't and you won't really be better off. you might in theory have more disposible income, but you will never have the opportunities that a working person will have. home ownership, chance to rise up the ladder and earn more money, etc.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That does it. I've read After Hours, so I know where the real money in Irish society is now. I can't believe how stupid I've been for all these decades of educational achievement, cultural appreciation, private health insurance and all the works when I could have got everything for free.

I'm definitely giving up my job and its 60% marginal tax rate to sign on. I'm also going to redesignate myself as an ethic Traveller and I'm going to declare my gender identity as a woman. I'll also go on the official homeless register and ring up Joe Duffy with a massive béal bocht on me and I'll have a penthouse apartment in the docklands by the end of the week.

Now there is an idea...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I would have no problem if it went to these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It’s obvious to anyone that knows her this is what she is doing. I dont think welfare will do anything about it and that’s speaking from experience on another case I know. If I was doing it I would be doing my best to bring no attention to myself but these welfare fraudsters don’t care they know it’s difficult to prove. Welfare officer calls and asks a few questions and they just tell them a load of lies. To see what’s going on you’d have to do some surveillance and that’s something welfare don’t do for small cases.

maybe have a look at the state benefits board and see reality? Welfare catching men leaving premises in the early hours

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Anyone got a comment on this yet from that crayture ... John Connors .
    " sure she was just dropping the bags out to the transit before coming back into penneys to pay boss "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I assume it’s the most generous. It’s comedy! All the posters here defending it, I’m assuming your the people paying in virtually nothing into the system. No other country has the farcical system we do. But Regina Doherty and fg ff etc have it right. L! O! L!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Over half the population earn salaries of less than 30k a year (25.4k after tax if your single / 27k if married) but that doesn't factor in tax reliefs such as medical expense ect that only working people can claim.

& the flat rate social welfare 10.3k

There is no doubt that working people are struggling to get by too but given that no one pays tax on the first 16,500 euro that they earn its hard to believe anyone would opt for social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Idbatterim wrote:
    I assume it’s the most generous. It’s comedy! All the posters here defending it, I’m assuming your the people paying in virtually nothing into the system.!

In the absence of knowledge you should assume nothing. I pay the high rate of tax and lose roughly 23 per cent of my gross income to tax. However I'm quite happy to know there is a system there to protect my family and I should we need it. The abuse it suffers is relatively minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What if they can't find a job, or if there's no work for them? what then?

More on welfare than if they were working? really? pack in your job then so and try it for a time.

Everyone and their dog knows that if you work, you earn more money. If you want nice things in life and want to have a decent standard of living you get out and get a job.

If you can't find a job, then you sign on and try and get by on a pittance and basically have no money for anything really.

You then keep looking and doing whatever you can to improve your chances of employment.

Like the vast majority of people on the dole are doing.

Giving out a few extra bob around Christmas time for those less fortunate is the lest of this country's problems believe me.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I assume it’s the most generous. It’s comedy! All the posters here defending it, I’m assuming your the people paying in virtually nothing into the system. No other country has the farcical system we do. But Regina Doherty and fg ff etc have it right. L! O! L!

Not only do I pay tax but have paid it for 43 years . And I don't begrudge people getting a bonus . So assume nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What if they can't find a job, or if there's no work for them? what then?

More on welfare than if they were working? really? pack in your job then so and try it for a time.

That hasn't been the case for many a year - the minimum wage put a stop to it, really. Certainly when I started in an office job I was earning 10 punts less than the dole, and the only reason I kept at it was the prospect of advancement and the availability of overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Overheard in a high-end restaurant.

"The best solution to ease the burden of the 'working poor' is for them to denounce the non-working poor as scroungers."

I can't exactly remember who said it - all I remember was the smell off his expensive brandy/ aftershave/ cigar.

Advertisement