Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I can confirm that doing a wipe (from the recovery menu) before installing update.zip fixes the SMS issue.

I have a conference call now, but will do the MMS check after that.

Waiting for my brother to send me a picture message, so I'll update you about MMS when I get that.

I thought rooting the phone would give me full access to the Market, but I can still only see the free apps. Do I need to do anything special to get access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Search (the web) for an application called marketenabler - you install this (on a rooted phone), run it and choose your operator (tmobile in the U.S. works nicely). Then you're all set. Only need to do this once.

Mr E wrote: »
    Waiting for my brother to send me a picture message, so I'll update you about MMS when I get that.

I thought rooting the phone would give me full access to the Market, but I can still only see the free apps. Do I need to do anything special to get access?

Doesn't work. From googling it, people are having trouble getting it working on the Hero. I'm using the latest beta, and I've tried the manual process of clearing the cache and killing the vendor process from the SU prompt. Do you have a Hero or a different android phone, elderlemon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I have a Hero. I just checked again and it certianly does work for me. I can see all paid apps where there were just free ones before.

Doesn't work. From googling it, people are having trouble getting it working on the Hero. I'm using the latest beta, and I've tried the manual process of clearing the cache and killing the vendor process from the SU prompt. Do you have a Hero or a different android phone, elderlemon?

• Advertisement

OK, got it. :)

FWIW, I follows the instructions on this thread (Post #10) exactly, and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phlegmo

Hi Mr E
    Any joy with the MMS settings?

Thanks
    p

Just texted my brother a reminder. I'll let you know.

I swear to god, it took me a friggin' hour and a half to get this working, but I have it now, and it works great. Revised settings below:

Don't know why my original settings don't work any more, but I promise these ones do.
    Name: Vodafone
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: vodafone (lower case)
    Password: vodafone (lower case)
    Server: 0.0.0.0
    MMSC: <Not Set>
    MMS Proxy: <Not Set>
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 01
    APN Type: default

Name: Vodafone MMS
    APN: mms.vodafone.net
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    MMS Proxy: 010.024.059.200
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: Wap 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 01
    APN Type: mms

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phlegmo

Hey Mr E

Put those ones in and it worked straight away - you're a starbar!
    Thanks a mill for that.
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I'm waiting for my Hero to arrive anyday now, and I just see on engadget that Pandora is coming to Android http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/pandora-comes-to-android-worlds-networks-that-much-closer-to-b/

I know that Pandora doesn't work over here, but was just wondering IF I root my Hero and select T-Mobile US as a carrier with MarketEnabler, I'll be able to download it -but will it work? I'm guessing no, but I guess just hoping

No idea, but I'll be a willing guinea pig when they release it.
    I miss pandora (and couldn't be arsed playing about with proxies on my PC)....

OK its out and allegedly supports Hero, but when I run it (while spoofing t-mobile US), I get the message "Sorry, your device is currently not supported. Model: Hero".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Zagato wrote: »
    I'm waiting for my Hero to arrive anyday now, and I just see on engadget that Pandora is coming to Android http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/pandora-comes-to-android-worlds-networks-that-much-closer-to-b/

I know that Pandora doesn't work over here, but was just wondering IF I root my Hero and select T-Mobile US as a carrier with MarketEnabler, I'll be able to download it -but will it work? I'm guessing no, but I guess just hoping

It won't work. Pandora use IP geolocation to see what country you're in. You'll be able to get the app but it won't play any music.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Found these anti-theft tools:

http://www.trackdroid.org/

They range from remote wipe to GPS/WiFi tracking (activate via web portal or whenever the sim card is changed). Tracking updates can be sent to a mobile number or accessed online.

Installed LocService as a system app (so it can auto-start GPS) and have to say am very impressed. The developer was also very friendly, would suggest donating if you use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

To the modaco /RUU users - whats the verdict. Any issues with these new roms ? Prob going to upgrade my own tonight - modaco over RUU ?

I would recommend installing one of Modaco's ROMs for the reasons outlined here. Essentially the RUU makes it difficult to re-flash if need be (i.e. rollback, you decide you want Modaco etc.)

If you are after the vanilla experience, you can get the leaked update ROM's without Modaco's modifications here, pre-rooted or not.

If you do go that route, use the ROMs from above, but follow the steps here.

Definitely worth doing if you are up to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

anyone heard any rumours of when this phone is actually coming out in ireland on a network? have heard october and between 3 and vodafone. anyone heard similar or different? i really want this phone but its too expensive to buy sim free

So these are the step im going to take - let me know if I miss something:

1. Sync with pc
    2. Install custom recovery rom to pc
    2. flash custom recovery rom to hero using
    adb shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)
    fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img
    adb shell mount /sdcard
    adb push cm-hero-recovery.img /sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img
    adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img

3.Download custom rom (2.2 core for me) and copy to SD card.
    4.Enter recovery mode on Hero (hold home while powering on)
    5.do nandroid backup
    6.wipe phone (factory reset ?)
    7.Enter recovery mode and install rom.

Now install updated radio:
    1. get 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
    2. copy to sd card
    3. apply via recovery mode

Anything left out or wrong with these steps ?

Sounds about right- you don't type the (wait for device to reboot into bootloader) though!

Would recommend adding a step 4:

4: Once I have customised my homescreens and apps, do a nandroid backup so that when I break my phone by installing dodgy apps/messing in adb, I can do a quick restore without having to do all of the above steps again.

One thing which caught some people out (and worried me) is that you get a screen showing a box and phone (after the radio update). It is supposed to take ages, so just wait it out!

• Advertisement

On your step 6, wiping the phone is an option on the recovery menu, and yes, it does restore factory defaults.

I haven't updated the radio on mine. Does it make a difference? Or is it just something you should do anyway?

As far as I can see the radio update give better signal strength. So worth a punt imo

Cool.... done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I did a backup of all SMS's. Don't do this as importing old SMS's will bork your SMS. Everything else was grand. Double and triple check everything first time around and jot everything you did down just in case.

Also

Are you going to use apps2sd? If so you can format your sd card using this great guide. Follow it to the letter as it will only work if the partirtions are in correct order.

http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-to-manually-partition-your-sd-card-for-android-apps2sd/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

For those who are waiting for the update to officially come out, how will that happen? OTA, download, marketplace? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For those who are waiting for the update to officially come out, how will that happen? OTA, download, marketplace? Does anyone know?

Its actually out already for nordic users but i have upgraded myself and it works perfect for English users to.

Heres the link
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559622

Download it copy the file straight to your sd card run the program from the sd folder on your pc and go from there :-)

All done. Christ, that's some difference. Peachy. Thanks.

Good stuff, well done. :)

For anyone who is still on the fence, its a piece of cake to do.
    Plus it makes a huge difference to usability of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

i think this rom update (if the stories are true) might just push me over the the purchasing side of the hero fence! :pac:

• Advertisement

Good stuff, well done. :)

For anyone who is still on the fence, its a piece of cake to do.
    Plus it makes a huge difference to usability of the phone.
    Well I did the official one, not the rooting, so it was just a matter of clicking an .exe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement