Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

I hot a HTC Hero this morning. Love it already, but I can't use the internet over the Vodafone network. The manual says it should do it automatically, but nope. Anyone get it working successfully, and if so, did you have to do anything to get it working?

I added a new APN with the following settings but no joy.

name: Vodafone
    apn: isp.vodafone.ie
    proxy: blank
    port: blank
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone
    server: blank
    mmsc: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    mms proxy: 10.24.59.200
    mms port: 80
    mcc: 272
    mnc: 01
    apn type: blank or internet

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You need 2 APNs - one for internet and one for MMS.

Note: I have the ISP data addon for Vodafone, so that entitles me to 1gb a month. I have no idea how much you will get screwed if you don't have it set up, so be careful. Don't say I didn't warn you.....

Name: Vodafone
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: Vodafone
    Password: Vodafone
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: <Not Set>
    MMS Proxy: <Not Set>
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 01
    APN Type: <Not Set>

Name: Vodafone MMS
    APN: mms.vodafone.net
    Username: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Server: mms.vodafone.net
    MMSC: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.24.59.200
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: 272
    APN Type: mms

Will try that now, thanks.

You're a gem, thank you. My first born shall be called Mr E.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I had been debating whether or not I should wait for HTC to officially release their update so I'd get it OTA (with any minor tweaks made between the leak and the release) or to install this.

Took the plunge today and would recommend it to anyone who is teach savvy and comfortable doing this sort of thing. All the reviews which gave it 8-9/10 out of 10, saying it would be perfect or able to go toe-to-toe with the iPhone if only it wasn't so laggy were right about the lag ruining the UI- to put it simply, this update takes the Hero to a whole new level- it is incredibly snappy and responsive. Extremely pleased with it and now won't need to order a UK sim to get paid apps :p (I used the pre-rooted ROM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Ha ha. Took the plunge tonight myself as I couldn't help myself.:D

Installed Custom Recovery Rom
    Backed old original HTC image up
    Repartitioned SD card with FAT32/EXT3/Linux Swap
    Installed latest radio
    Installed Modaco Rom 2

Wow is all I can say. All lag totally gone and new features. This what this phone is all about.

However as C.D. said this is for the tech savy. Even with that I'd did a lot of research before attempting the above as otherwise it would be easy to end up with an expensive paper weight.

Ha, just noticed my Hero auto-corrected "tech" to "teach".

Dictation, I did not use Modaco's ROM as I didn't think I'd need a lot of the extra stuff- does the Jbed Java yoke you run java apps.. say for instance that excellent piece of software flaring around here called cabbage?! Also, for people thinking of doing this, you can't get OTA updates if you root iirc.

H
    C.D. wrote: »
    Ha, just noticed my Hero auto-corrected "tech" to "teach".

Dictation, I did not use Modaco's ROM as I didn't think I'd need a lot of the extra stuff- does the Jbed Java yoke you run java apps.. say for instance that excellent piece of software flaring around here called cabbage?! Also, for people thinking of doing this, you can't get PTA updates if you root iirc.

I got the cabbage jad and it compiled and ran first time but have an issue with it now. Need to take a look at it but say its a permissions issue or something like that. Also no updates but again I'll be swapping roms as they come along now. : )

I put on the modaco ROM, and its a thing of beauty. Phone is lovely and fast, and lag-free. Didn't even have to wipe it, so I still have all my contacts, calendar, apps and settings. Haven't noticed any issues with it at all.

Just wondering what apps you guys have installed other than copilot? Found threads on modaco and xda about hero apps, but they are both incredibly long ^^

So far I've only installed:

Handycalc- scientific calculator- can solve non-linear equations and graph multiple equations.

Net counter- keeps tabs on data usage, can set time period to monitor to coincide with your bill and alerts.

I did try Backup for root users which bricked my phone- and as I stupidly had not taken a backup after installing the leaked ROM, had to re-do it, import contacts, configure everything etc etc for the third time in as many days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

All the reviews which gave it 8-9/10 out of 10, saying it would be perfect or able to go toe-to-toe with the iPhone if only it wasn't so laggy were right about the lag ruining the UI- to put it simply, this update takes the Hero to a whole new level- it is incredibly snappy and responsive. Extremely pleased with it and now won't need to order a UK sim to get paid apps :p (I used the pre-rooted ROM).

Heres a video of the update in action. Looks very responsive to me.

http://gizmodo.com/5340981/software-update-fixes-the-htc-heros-only-real-problem

foobar wrote: »
    Heres a video of the update in action. Looks very responsive to me.

http://gizmodo.com/5340981/software-update-fixes-the-htc-heros-only-real-problem

Just wait till you try it yourself, as I said it brings the user experience to a whole new level! Very glad I took the plunge and did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I also have netcounter, doggcatcher (podcasting), power manager, astrid (task list), compass, flashlight, wifi buddy.

Also updated to the modaco rom and wow. What a difference. Lag ? What lag?

Just wondering what apps you guys have installed other than copilot? Found threads on modaco and xda about hero apps, but they are both incredibly long ^^

So far I've only installed:

Handycalc- scientific calculator- can solve non-linear equations and graph multiple equations.

Net counter- keeps tabs on data usage, can set time period to monitor to coincide with your bill and alerts.

I did try Backup for root users which bricked my phone- and as I stupidly had not taken a backup after installing the leaked ROM, had to re-do it, import contacts, configure everything etc etc for the third time in as many days.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Really love to get my hands on the Hero. Have an LG Viewty that is useless, slow and has the worst software ever! :mad: so fed up with it! And apparently LG don't do software updates, so these bugs will never be fixed!

Not sure how much longer I can stand this phone, but wondering if I should wait for the Hero to be picked up by a network first? At this stage I'm almost willing to pay Sim free prices, but don't want to regret it come October 31st(?)!

Any Hero owners recommend buying early or waiting til whenever its on a network?

OK first problem with modaco rom. I can't receive SMS messages. My phone goes "brrring", vibrates, and the green light blinks, but there is no sms and no notice in the notification area.

Reading through modaco now to see if anyone else had that issue. Could those who installed the modaco rom see if you can receive a text message? Send one to yourself from webtext.

Some of my apps

Astrid: Good todo manager with alerts etc. Keeps my tasks in check
    Barcode scanner: More a 'look at this' app but handy sometimes
    Beeb player: Can't get it to work need a proxy app
    Beyond Pod: Good pod cast player
    Call Faker: Handy in boring meetings ;)
    Google Maps/Sky Map/Places: All good apps
    Here I AM: Send your location by SMS or email with google map link
    IRL Cinema Guide: Made by a boardsie and very good too
    Market Enabler: Needs root access
    MyBackup Pro: Backs up nearly everything
    NewsRob: Good RSS reader
    Scan2Pdf: Excellent App. Photo doc and it converts it to pdf
    SMS Popup: Shows SMS without unlocking phone etc.
    Soccer Live scores:
    TV Guide:
    Useful Switchers: All Wifi/GPS/Bluetooth settings in the one place

Mr E wrote: »
    OK first problem with modaco rom. I can't receive SMS messages. My phone goes "brrring", vibrates, and the green light blinks, but there is no sms and no notice in the notification area.

Reading through modaco now to see if anyone else had that issue. Could those who installed the modaco rom see if you can receive a text message? Send one to yourself from webtext.

OK need to do a wipe to fix this. Balls. :)

Yep something amiss alright. I get the same and SMS Popup displayed a message from yesterday before I flashed. Cleared all my messages, cache and rebooted. Sent test and SMS is borked alright. :(

Yeah, buried in that 33 page modaco thread, it is said that a factory reset before installation needs to be done. The SMS database has changed (a new integer field has been added to it).

:( I can report that I appear to be having no SMS issues- I installed the WWE rooted update as opposed to the Modaco ROM.

I was looking at get podcasting as now I don't have a radio.. but I can't find any podcasts that I want to listen to! Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Yeah, buried in that 33 page modaco thread, it is said that a factory reset before installation needs to be done. The SMS database has changed (a new integer field has been added to it).

Could you link please? I didn't do a factory reset...

PS do you guys get this bug for all texts or just the odd one?

Mr E If your doing that can you let me know if that works as I did the full reset but re-imported my SMS's after flashing the rom?

PS do you guys get this bug for all texts or just the odd one?

All texts

Sure.... I'll try it in the morning (I have the USB driver installed on my PC in work).

SMS issue announced (474)
    SMS fixed with wipe confirmation (485)
    SMS issue explanation. (615)

Modaco wrote:
    Generally speaking these shouldn't require a wipe, but I can't guarantee that. Also, note these are completely stock and unrooted - you'll need to root afterwards if required.

Looks like I'm ok.

Dingatron- Gonna try that here I am; can't think of a use for it, but looks cool.

Handy link I found while browsing around Modaco:

http://theunlockr.com/

Very good video guides for ROM updates, rooting, and other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah you all succumbed to the power of the root :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phlegmo

You need 2 APNs - one for internet and one for MMS.

Note: I have the ISP data addon for Vodafone, so that entitles me to 1gb a month. I have no idea how much you will get screwed if you don't have it set up, so be careful. Don't say I didn't warn you.....

Name: Vodafone
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Username: Vodafone
    Password: Vodafone
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: <Not Set>
    MMS Proxy: <Not Set>
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    APN Type: <Not Set>

Name: Vodafone MMS
    APN: mms.vodafone.net
    Username: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Server: mms.vodafone.net
    MMSC: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.24.59.200
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: 272
    APN Type: mms

Hey Mr E

I got a new Hero yesterday and am trying to set up the MMS to send/receive.
    I set up the 2 APNs as above but no joy... does Android automatically select the MMS APN or do I have to set it to default?

Any help would be much appreciated

• Advertisement

I think I just used those settings. I have to wipe my phone today, so I'll be setting it up again. I'll let you know if there are any other steps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement