Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its like night and day. Way , way faster and smoother. I went for the modaco rom as it was already rooted but its based on the same code base as the official HTC update.
    hal9000 wrote: »
    i think this rom update (if the stories are true) might just push me over the the purchasing side of the hero fence! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Todays IBood - 2 8gb Class 6 SDHC cards for €42.45.
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs/13264/Transcend_MicroSDHC_8GB_Memory_Card_Class_6_Duo_Pack/

Can't say I've noticed a huge difference with the hero and class 6 cards, but it can't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I can't get my hero to connect to open wifi networks, it works great on my wifi at home but won't work with the open one at work or a free hotspot I was at today. It says it's connected but can't sync/transfer data. I'm sure it's some very basic thing but was just wondering if any of you know what I'm doing wrong or is this a bug?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,408 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any recent rumour on release date from Vodafone on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Trojan wrote: »
    Any recent rumour on release date from Vodafone on this?
    Going by their recent form they'll probably be last to get it, if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

I'm using mine roaming in London at the moment. The Vodafone network is LIGHTNING fast here. Why the hell is the one at home so ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Probably HSUPA network in London. Not even sure Dublin has HSDPA yet does it? Mostly just 3G from what I've seen. The differences are pretty noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I get a H on mine - I assume that HSDPA. Do have a data add-on so havnt really been using it outside of wireless networks and cant comment on the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

got mine yesterday, im still on meteor but thats just until i use up my credit and then ill be changing to 3

having a few problems, i cant seem to get my computer to recognise the sd card so cant put anything on it? is there something blatantly obvious im not doing?

anyone got links of setting it up on 3 and does anyone have links on how to get the new roms and how to root it etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Get0fix wrote: »
    Probably HSUPA network in London. Not even sure Dublin has HSDPA yet does it? Mostly just 3G from what I've seen. The differences are pretty noticable.
    I often get the '3G+' icon on my Jet, which indicates HSDPA.

• Advertisement

blocparty wrote: »
    having a few problems, i cant seem to get my computer to recognise the sd card so cant put anything on it? is there something blatantly obvious im not doing?

To get it to see your SD card (assuming you have it in the phone), you need to mount it. Plug in the USB cable. After a few seconds, check the notification area for an option to mount it. Once done, it will show up as a drive in Windows.

For Rom updates, rooting etc., everything you need is on http://hero.modaco.com

No idea of three settings. Check the sticky thread at the top of the Mobiles & PDA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

blocparty wrote: »
    anyone got links of setting it up on 3
    Here you go :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58351749#post58351749

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Hi guys, I'm having a look at the HTC Hero on ebay and there are some good prices on them but they are locked to Orange UK is there anyway to get these unlocked ??

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

thanks for the help guys! greatly appreciate it!

i bout mine off expansys in the upto 50% off section, got it for 30% off, theres only 10% off now.

the reason for it is theres a single dead pixel in the start screen, its perfect other than that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For anyone who has this phone what has your battery performance been like so far?

Im finding i have to charge it nearly every day i use it a good bit mostly txting i use good bit of wi fi browsing at night to.

Also something else i have noticed at times the screens will change by them selfs and when typing a message it will keep jumping to the send button with out me pressing it has anyone noticed this at all??

The first time i rooted i had this problem really bad non stop and had to use the htc update.

WiFi is the killer. I charged it Friday, and used it for some calls, texts and emails over the weekend. I have the data connection on most of the time, and I didn't have to recharge it until this morning.

Mr E wrote: »
    WiFi is the killer. I charged it Friday, and used it for some calls, texts and emails over the weekend. I have the data connection on most of the time, and I didn't have to recharge it until this morning.

Dont make sense though cause if i use the wifi its always at home and its late at night if im in bed the battery usually down a good bit before this just from txting in work most the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I can get 3-4 days out of my Hero ^^

Usage per day is as follows:

40 texts
    3-4 emails
    Check email every 30mins
    5 mins phone call
    20-30 minutes of browsing m.boards.ie
    Data sync for Google apps off
    Facebook updates every 12 hours
    Phone off while sleeping

As the 3G signal is poor where I am, if I have 3G enabled the battery gets eaten (the less signal you have, the more power required by your phone to communicate with your network). So I use the 2G network at home with full signal (fine for most of my browsing which is on mobile sites) and I have "Always on data" on off. Only have GPS/Bluetooth/WiFi turned on when needed too. Always lock my screen when not in use (backlight).

C.D. wrote: »
    I can get 3-4 days out of my Hero ^^

Usage per day is as follows:

40 texts
    3-4 emails
    Check email every 30mins
    5 mins phone call
    20-30 minutes of browsing m.boards.ie
    Data sync for Google apps off
    Facebook updates every 12 hours
    Phone off while sleeping

As the 3G signal is poor where I am, if I have 3G enabled the battery gets eaten (the less signal you have, the more power required by your phone to communicate with your network). So I use the 2G network at home with full signal (fine for most of my browsing which is on mobile sites) and I have "Always on data" on off. Only have GPS/Bluetooth/WiFi turned on when needed too. Always lock my screen when not in use (backlight).

I send ALOT of text messages the odd call here and there every day i dont use the data connection at all cause i only set up the apn for the mms.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Has camera or video recording improved much since the update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

foobar wrote: »
    Or Flash performance in the browser for that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

I would be grateful for some help with the o2 mms settings for the hero - i have tried the o2 settings posted elsewhere, but am missing something I think, even tho I tried to follow the same logic as the vodafone settings list posted in this thread, but still no luck (after about 2 hours of trying :confused: ) - anyone else got this to work?
    TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads I'm interested in getting this phone.

At the moment I have a 1st Gen iPhone on Meteor prepay.

If I were to get the Hero, would I have to change to bill? Or if I want to get the most out of it, should I change to bill?

Just wondering what's the best way to go about getting one that works really :p I've browsed through some of this thread but not finding the information.

eg. They're selling them on expansys.ie for €500+ -- what's the story with these? Are they prepay? What network?

Thanks for any help

foobar wrote: »

Camera is allegedly faster, but I haven't really used it much.
    Breezer wrote: »
    Or Flash performance in the browser for that matter?

Can't say I've noticed any difference. You aren't going to be spending hours on it, but its perfect for a quick browse. Flash was fine, but a tiny bit sluggish in the older build.
    Dave! wrote: »
    If I were to get the Hero, would I have to change to bill? Or if I want to get the most out of it, should I change to bill?

Just wondering what's the best way to go about getting one that works really :p I've browsed through some of this thread but not finding the information.

eg. They're selling them on expansys.ie for €500+ -- what's the story with these? Are they prepay? What network?

Not sure about prepay and data. Is there a data package for prepay phones, or is it bundled into the price? I'm bill pay, so I don't know the answer to that.

I got mine on expansys. Its unlocked (not tied to any network or billing method), so you can plug any sim (prepay or bill) into it.

Mr E wrote: »
    Not sure about prepay and data. Is there a data package for prepay phones, or is it bundled into the price? I'm bill pay, so I don't know the answer to that.

I got mine on expansys. Its unlocked (not tied to any network or billing method), so you can plug any sim (prepay or bill) into it.

Sweet. So the expansys one has all the mod cons, 3G etc. ?

What network are you with Mr E? How much is it setting you back if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure how the data packages work, I haven't been able to get one on my own prepay phone, so that's what I'm wondering about really. I'd probably have to get a bill pay to be able to use 3G.

Thanks

"The expansys one" as you call it is basically a HTC factory model without any network branding. That is why it's expensive (compared to buying any phone directly from VF/O2, which are subsidised). There is no difference in the functionality.

First bill since I switched over to the Hero (and Vodafone's data package) was €29-ish earlier this month. Next one is mid-October.

I'd say I make a few calls and good handful of texts a week (most are covered by my free minutes/texts).

Again, I'm not sure about data on pre-pay - I'm not the guy to ask about that. Why not start a new thread asking the question? You'll get a quicker answer that way...

Thanks Mr E !

Just dipping my feet in the water at the moment, don't think I'll be able to afford it for a while anyways, so I'll try find out a bit more when I have the cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm interested in getting this phone too (at some stage! :) )

It seems the cheapest option now is to get one on eBay (seem to start at about €350 for a locked one). It seems the Orange ones can't be unlocked now, but maybe T-Mobile can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

IMO you'll want to get a data subscription- the phone was made for mobile data, constantly updating your social networking stuff, email, weather etc. I use about 130Mb a month, meteor offer 250Mb for €5 a month on bill pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

O2 have it now at 99c a day up to 50mb for all data users (not on a specific plan) afaik.

Mine mostly runs on wireless network at home and work - so uses v little over the phone network

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement