Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mr E wrote: »
    I expect so, yes. Its the only way you will see the commercial apps in the marketplace.
    Nobody listens to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Dingatron wrote: »
    Its actually cheaper to buy apps on the market place this way as you are paying UK vat at 15% rather than 21.5%. I bought copilot for £22.60 and paid 3.39 vat. No other costs involved. You do not need to top up the sim card or anything like that. Also I had access to download the free beeb player app which you can't see when Irish sim card. Unfortunately it won't work through an Irish allocated ip address and i can't find any free proxy apps out there.

I see. Tbh that's nowhere near as much of an inconvenience as I thought it would be. I think that's really removed the last barrier to me deciding to get one.

edit: Did you even have to "top up by £5" to activate the sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nobody listens to me :(

Sorry... Or you can root it and void your warranty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

edit: Did you even have to "top up by £5" to activate the sim?

No 'top up' required.
    Originally Posted by Ultimate Chin View Post
    Nobody listens to me

Yep respect for UC he originally brought the UK SIM card trick to my attention. :cool:

No sign of the official HTC update yet.Hopefully its imminent.

Mr E wrote: »
    Sorry... Or you can root it and void your warranty. :)
    I used my HTC warranty after rooting :P
    Dingatron wrote: »
    Yep respect for UC he originally brought the UK SIM card trick to my attention. :cool:

No sign of the official HTC update yet.Hopefully its imminent.
    I did :confused:
    Dont see how.Ive always been the one shouting ROOT IT,ROOOOOOOT IT!!!!!:pac:

• Advertisement

I used my HTC warranty after rooting :P

I did :confused:
    Dont see how.Ive always been the one shouting ROOT IT,ROOOOOOOT IT!!!!!:pac:

Oops it was elderlemon :o Anyway great tip nonetheless.

And on the rooting I've counted at least 4 people on xda with bricked Hero's after trying to install an updated rom so be careful out there people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Apparently the hero is going chinless for Sprint's network in the states :

htc-hero200-rm-eng-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I have ordered one of these myself, from handtec.co.uk. Just wondering if any other boardies used handtec, and if so how long did delivery take after it was shipped? I used Google Checkout, did not create a handtec account and hence have no tracking number.

Apparently the hero is going chinless for Sprint's network in the states :

htc-hero200-rm-eng-2.jpg
    Its much nicer with the chin

Then again I would think that:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

That picture doesnt look very real, but regardless, I think the chin is way better. Defines the phone nicely in my opinion.

@ C.D: Site says 3-4 days shipping to Ireland. I've never ordered so I can't tell you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

i prefer the chinless version. someone sway me tho, I am mainly thinking about pocket bulge (err i've enough of that already :D)

haha nah does the chin add much to the dimensions? Im obsessed with thinness on my phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Get0fix wrote: »
    That picture doesnt look very real

Why doesn't it look real? Any SLR camera with a 50mm 1.8 lens can create an image like that. I've done plenty in my time.

Yuck indeed!

Sorry "real" probably wasn't the best word. More that the source doesn't seem very reputable...just a feeling, could be my internet-scepticism creeping in.

I suppose it's a good thing for the people that love the phone but hate the chin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I think the original version looks better. The chin wouldn't bother me. I have a G1 and it's not noticeable at all in my pocket and it makes the buttons slightly more accessible when holding with one hand.

People are talking about the chin as if it has a razor blade attached... people are really blowing it out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Can't understand the chin hatred either. Anytime the Hero is mentioned on a website, the comments are filled with howls of disgust about it. I think the Hero looks pretty sleek. The chinless version looks tacky to me.

Totally agree with ya Mobius42. If I had a choice, I would go for the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ok so i bought this phone online got it on Tuesday so far i am REALLY happy with it best phone i have had so far. The amount of free apps u can download on the market is amazing although i have not tried many yet.
    I also set up the mms etc no problems so i really would say if anyone is lookin at this phone do really consider it i love it !! and i cant find any so called problems with it yet!!

One thing though is it possible to download the pay apps for free if u root the phone or do you have to use a uk sim to buy them?

No, rooting the phone means you should be able to see the pay apps.... you still have to buy them.

• Advertisement

Ah ok do they cost much? Like i seen some facebook ones for 1 or 2 american dollars.

Also for anyone who has ordered them free uk sim cards how do you get one sent to Dublin or can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Just ordered one of these myself - hopefully have it tomorrow. :) Do I need a class 6 card or is the one supplied fine ? Any app recommendations ?

I got a 2gig card in the box with mine so might be same with yours dunno to be honest.

Check out this link for apps theres loads more posts on that forum for good apps to.

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f23/10-best-android-applications-22732/

It looks like the expected update for the Hero's been leaked. I've downloaded it but I'm going to hold off a while and see what the feedbacks like.

***********Use this at your own risk as its not official and not verified yet!***********

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=555732

Ya i checked this out last night think ill wait for HTC to stick it on there site just to be sure.

Same here.... I'd rather go the official route just in case (this might be a release candidate, not the final version). On the positive side, if it has been leaked, then that might accelerate the official release (or maybe the official release is closer than we think).

Yeah I'm holding off a bit. Rumors were that it was to be released today the 4th Sept but that would be unusual to release a patch on a Friday. Not the done thing. Optimal day is Mon-Tues for patches.

Good to see development of in the hero in the community though. Guy called Modaco has a new custom rom out based on this release already with his enhancements. Here's his change log from the custom rom 1.5.1

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK
    - Quickoffice moved to data partition to allow easy uninstall
    - Deleted 'Learn More' application
    - Deleted Maps application - install from the Android Market to always stay up to date
    - Added Jbed Java
    - Added Business Card Scanner
    - Added busybox 1.15 - tweaked such that 'get information' in Swapper now works as desired
    - Added nano 2.09
    - Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use
    - Added android-wifi-tether 1.52
    - Added WMSM
    - Added tun.ko file
    - Added spare parts
    - Added Custom Locale for setting non english Locales
    - ROM now includes 'Plurk' client
    - ROM now includes WAP browser
    - ROM now includes touch focus in Camera app
    - ROM now supports shortcuts using BetterCut (and therefore I assume anycut!) in Rosie
    - Updated A2SD (ext3), now runs on initial boot
    - Used APN config file with additional APNs
    - Preinstalled files required for Debian linux [edit: this seems to be broken for some reason, investigating!]

More optimisations
    Removed customize directory, added 'Custom Locale' for setting non English locales
    Added version information to build.prop

Source

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/292018/03-09-1-5-1-get-the-new-update-now-the-modaco-custom-rom-is-here/

I got a 2gig card in the box with mine so might be same with yours dunno to be honest.

Yeah, i think it comes with a 2gig card - ordered an 8gig class 6 (faster) one from shop4memory - dont think it will make much difference to the speed of the phone, but wont do it any harm. Pretty cheap too.

Any links to what he new update from HTC is supposed to do ?

Meant to sort out the problems with lag and few other cosmetic details im guessing.

Keep in mind you need to download a program after rooting your phone to be able to put apps on your sd card. Far as i know you cant do it with out this method i could be wrong but i aint seen anything online saying otherwise.

• Advertisement

Thought there was a swap file or something stored on the SD card. Anyway Im sure I can find stuff to fill up the card :) and it was cheap as chips so no biggie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement