Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

voxpop wrote: »
    O2 have it now at 99c a day up to 250mb for all data users (not on a specific plan) afaik.

Mine mostly runs on wireless network at home and work - so uses v little over the phone network

Surely, that's up to 50mb per day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

Hey,

According to reviews of this phone, the texting on the phone is a threaded view, which supposedly is kinda annoying...

Anyone here think texting on this phone is annoying or anything, because im really interested in getting one of these but i text ALOT so cannot bear to have something that requires fidgeting to send a message...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

nellocon wrote: »
    Hey,

According to reviews of this phone, the texting on the phone is a threaded view, which supposedly is kinda annoying...

Bollox, I think it's much better than having every text separate. It means your inbox is much less cluttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Doesnt bother me. It is threaded, so all you txts to a particular person are grouped and you can see the last txt to a particular person. I kinda like it.

The txt-view widget (or whatever you call it) - just shows your last txt and is a bit annoying, but you dont have to use that at all.

I think there are also txting add-ons on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really like the threading. Makes it easier to follow several conversations at the same time.
    If you don't like threading, just click the "All Messages" (looks like 3 horizontal lines) button to look at all messages the old fashioned way (all messages, reverse date order).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

Texting is excellent on it. And if you don't like it, there are several other texting apps you can download and use instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Is there a way to stop the phone from using data services while on prepay. I just want to use these apps while on wifi and my home network...

Yes. There is a mobile network widget available to stick on your homescreen. Turn it on or off as you need it. If off, you won't use data services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Very tempted to get this now. Silly thing I wonder if someone can clarify; I find what's very useful is that the led on my e51 alerts you when you've missed a call/text. I've read conflicting reports that the trackball does the same thing - well glows - on the hero. Is this correct?

The trackball pulses every 5 seconds if you have a text or missed a call.
    A little green light above the display blinks if you have an email.

They only do it for about 10 minutes after the event, so they don't run down the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 soccfc

Anyone using this on meteor bill pay?

Thinking of getting bill pay lite with the €5 (250mb) add on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

Mr E wrote: »
    I swear to god, it took me a friggin' hour and a half to get this working, but I have it now, and it works great. Revised settings below:

Name: Vodafone MMS
    APN: mms.vodafone.net
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    MMS Proxy: 010.024.059.200
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: Wap 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 01
    APN Type: mms

Don't know why my original settings don't work any more, but I promise these ones do.

Mr E, these have stopped working for me. They still working for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

soccfc wrote: »
    Anyone using this on meteor bill pay?

Thinking of getting bill pay lite with the €5 (250mb) add on

Yep, but I'm concerned about quality of service from Meteor.

Anyone current using Hero on this network? Comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

voxpop wrote: »
    The txt-view widget (or whatever you call it) - just shows your last txt and is a bit annoying, but you dont have to use that at all.t
    Just flick your finger up to see the other texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Trojan wrote: »
    Yep, but I'm concerned about quality of service from Meteor.

Anyone current using Hero on this network? Comments?

OK- the only issue is that Meteor's already woeful 3G reception means that outside of DCC you're better off using EDGE to save your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Anyone know why this website says the Hero is available in the UK on O2, Orange, and Vodafone? AFAIK it's on Orange and T-Mobile in UK?

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/htc-hero.html

New modaco 2.5 released today - anyone tried it yet ?

Nah, give it a week while the modaco users report bugs. Its already on 2.5.1.

yeah - think your right. I saw that 2.3 was slow, 2.4 was a dud - we could be at 2.6 by tomorrow :pac:

Anyone know what the new radio does ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Might give the 2.5.x a go tonight. Let you know how it goes.

Update:

Just flashed it there. Did it in this order and did not wipe data. Apps were installed on sd card and left them as is. I did a nadroid backup first as recommended.

2.5.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed

Then after reboot I updated to Enhanced.

2.5-update-hero-modacocustomrom-enhanced-signed

And finally after reboot updated the radio to the following

63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08

First impressions are that its even faster. :D See how things go over the next few days but no issues yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I really like the look of this phone and have heard great things about it. I haven't done a massive amount of research on it yet but I am just wondering how easy it is to use in regards changing setting etc. A little over a year ago I bought a Samsung Omnia and absolutely hated it. The front menu was nice but drilling down into the Windows based interface and having to change things by flashing and going into root menus etc all ended up being so awkward and for me, not too user friendly. I sold it within 2 weeks.

I love gadgets so not a technophobe at all but just with my bad experience with the Omnia, I am cautious going back into the world of Smartphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yenwod wrote: »
    I really like the look of this phone and have heard great things about it. I haven't done a massive amount of research on it yet but I am just wondering how easy it is to use in regards changing setting etc. A little over a year ago I bought a Samsung Omnia and absolutely hated it. The front menu was nice but drilling down into the Windows based interface and having to change things by flashing and going into root menus etc all ended up being so awkward and for me, not too user friendly. I sold it within 2 weeks.

I love gadgets so not a technophobe at all but just with my bad experience with the Omnia, I am cautious going back into the world of Smartphones!

I had a couple of symbian phones a few years ago & have stayed away since. I currently use a blackberry, but wouldn't class it as a smart phone. Really looking forward to the Hero though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Don't let your Windows mobile experiences prejudice you. Android is completely different and due to it's open source nature is probably the most customisable mobile OS out there.

PS looks like meteor is launching the Hero http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14073/comms/meteor-to-bring-android-phone-to-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hero and Omnia are very different beasts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Hero and Omnia are very different beasts :)

Yes! Comparing the Hero to the Omnia is a gross insult to HTC!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I've got a HTC Hero and am extremely happy with it. The ROM released a few weeks ago sped up the system considerably, and hopefully 1.6 will be coming soon as well.

Running on the O2 network with no problems at all (Apart from my credit running out when I went over 50 megs in a day!)

Tethering works fine in a pinch. The Facebook integration is great, lots of great apps (But nowhere near the amount in the Apple store)

Am a little confused about this phone. Is it 3g? The specs suggest it is gprs, edge and wcdma. Will it work on european 3g?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yes, it's 3G.

Any brick and mortar shops sell this around Dublin? Unlocked, most preferably.

My iPhone 3G went for a swim in a glass of water last night... and it didn't like that very much at all. Refusing to talk to me now. If I can nip out and buy a Hero at something other than extortionate prices, I think I'll do that.

€448 on pixmania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Bluefoam wrote: »
    €448 on pixmania
    Yeah, but I was hoping for an actual physical shop I can walk into and buy it today, rather than waiting the week or whatever it is.

I know Expansys and Pixmania have it online alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement