Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Haven't seen it in any irish shop. Best bet would be a carphone warehouse up the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

mobius42 wrote: »
    Yes! Comparing the Hero to the Omnia is a gross insult to HTC!
    Heh, figured so but like I said, threading cautiously. Don't want another phone that I hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

So. I've been looking around at info and I stumbled across this thread concerning settings for using the Hero on 3, and a load of comments about... well, problems. Being dazed and confused and unsure as to what the problem really is, I'm just going to come out and ask it.

If I buy a Hero unlocked from the intarwebz, and buy a contract from 3 (I'm thinking Relax 90 with possibly one of the Mobile Broadband add ons), can I or can I not just put the sim in and have it work? What do I have to do beyond this, if anything?

(and while we're at it, does anyone know of a reasonably good deal WRT data usage, and is there a thread on Boards regarding general carrier superioity, etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have had 3 mobile broadband and it doesn't work at least 50% of the time. Apparently 02 is over subscribed and bogged down with iphone users and is terrible. Vodafone is supposed to be fine, but they have no edge cover for when you are out of coverage, which is supposed to be quite often. I am on meteor which is good, you tube occasionally has a blip, but it is generally okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Cheapest place I've seen the Hero is on Clove.co.uk http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=35D4C1DC-2957-4045-B55A-54A3EF22C2F1
    According to their convertor its only €389.73, very tempting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have had 3 mobile broadband and it doesn't work at least 50% of the time. Apparently 02 is over subscribed and bogged down with iphone users and is terrible. Vodafone is supposed to be fine, but they have no edge cover for when you are out of coverage, which is supposed to be quite often. I am on meteor which is good, you tube occasionally has a blip, but it is generally okay.
    I've been on O2 for a year and have had no problems. I get generally good speed test results; I have none to hand but I seem to remember it being about 1Mbps download. Meteor were good when I was with them, but have they extended their 3G coverage beyond Dublin and Cork yet?

Breezer wrote: »
    I've been on O2 for a year and have had no problems. I get generally good speed test results; I have none to hand but I seem to remember it being about 1Mbps download. Meteor were good when I was with them, but have they extended their 3G coverage beyond Dublin and Cork yet?

i used it in limerick and galway during the week. But may have been on edge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I've being using O2 mobile data for nearly two years. I've had no problems with either Edge or 3G; both have been as fast as you'd expect them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone know if this is coming to Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Fedule wrote: »
    So. I've been looking around at info and I stumbled across this thread concerning settings for using the Hero on 3, and a load of comments about... well, problems. Being dazed and confused and unsure as to what the problem really is, I'm just going to come out and ask it.

If I buy a Hero unlocked from the intarwebz, and buy a contract from 3 (I'm thinking Relax 90 with possibly one of the Mobile Broadband add ons), can I or can I not just put the sim in and have it work? What do I have to do beyond this, if anything?

(and while we're at it, does anyone know of a reasonably good deal WRT data usage, and is there a thread on Boards regarding general carrier superioity, etc?)

Yes it will work, but to use any data services (EDGE, 3G, MMS etc.) you will need to input APN settings, which is not too difficult. I'm on Meteor otherwise I'd post what settings you need to put in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

silvine wrote: »

I doubt it. 3 seem to be the worst at getting handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

silvine wrote: »

I emailed them last week and they said no, but I doubt that's anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

There is a bricks and mortar shop selling it in Dublin on Talbot street close to Moland place. Think it might be second hand though - they have a brown one in the window. Much prefer the HTC HD2 though..... droooool:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

GUIGuy wrote: »
    Much prefer the HTC HD2 though..... droooool:p
    It'll be a cold day in hell before I put a Windows OS on my mobile :)

I'll have a look on Talbot street, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

What's the audio playback quality like through the supplied headset? If I got this phone I would want to use it as an MP3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Any more news on which network is going to take this, when and what sort of pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like it will Meteor in November - (link from previous page).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Cheers Mr E.

Good stuff, their network is being upgraded very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks like it will Meteor in November - (link from previous page).

I wouldn't hold my breath. If you follow the link you'll see that meteor deleted the discussion - the source of the news - on Meteor's forum. There's a new thread asking why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Also meteor is blocking nearly 100% of the posts relating to android. Try and place a comment on their forums about android or the hero. It will not appear .

Iv posted about 6 messages since the "meteor in November" thing and none have appeared on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

2 of my posts just appeared on the forum now.

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

IH77 wrote: »
    What's the audio playback quality like through the supplied headset? If I got this phone I would want to use it as an MP3 player.

As always the supplied headphones are going to be crap - other than that I think the phone has a decent sound. I havnt done any major tests but I cant complain. The music app is a bit fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

iknorr wrote: »
    2 of my posts just appeared on the forum now.

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=250

Sounds like they are pre-moderating posts.

It's done here in the likes of PI and other "sensitive" forums.

It would never happen on this forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I got a pair of sennheiser (sp?) headphones and they are way way better than the ones supplied with the phone. No comparison. Also I installed MixZing lite music player as I find it better than the stock player.
    voxpop wrote: »
    As always the supplied headphones are going to be crap - other than that I think the phone has a decent sound. I havnt done any major tests but I cant complain. The music app is a bit fiddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jamie32

C.D. wrote: »
    Yes it will work, but to use any data services (EDGE, 3G, MMS etc.) you will need to input APN settings, which is not too difficult. I'm on Meteor otherwise I'd post what settings you need to put in.

Do you know what settings are needed in order to be able to receive MMS messages and operate edge/3G and the like with Meteor on an unlocked Hero? Meteor are about as useful as a floppy penis with helping me with it!!

Much appreciado!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Menu-> Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Network Settings -> Access Point Names.

Then press menu, add new APN:

3G settings- definitely work
    Name: Meteor Data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: <Not Set>
    Password: <Not Set>
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: <Not Set>
    MMS proxy: <Not Set>
    MMS port: <Not Set>
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC:03
    APN type: <Not Set>

MMS settings (haven't tested, let me know if they work)

Name: Meteor MMS
    APN: Meteor MMS
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: <Not Set>
    Password: <Not Set>
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 10.85.85.85
    MMS port: 8799
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC:03
    APN type: mms

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

anyone got any links to tutorials of how to upgrade the firmware/rom?

i bought it about a month ago and its now getting quite slow so need to upgrade but ****ting myself about losing data or potentially bricking it! there any video tutorials around? failing that any walk throughs from start to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

mobius42 wrote: »
    I doubt it. 3 seem to be the worst at getting handsets.

Not sure about that....3 UK may have it, packaged together with Spotify...but may be UK only, but you can hope...

http://stuff.tv/News/3-and-Spotify-sign-deal-to-bring-unlimited-music-streaming-to-3-phones/13468/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

blocparty wrote: »
    anyone got any links to tutorials of how to upgrade the firmware/rom?

i bought it about a month ago and its now getting quite slow so need to upgrade but ****ting myself about losing data or potentially bricking it! there any video tutorials around? failing that any walk throughs from start to finish?

Right I noted down what I did first time around . Its a bit messy though. Main thing is to backup everything as no one wants to brick their phone.

BACKUP

1. First thing I did was to backup my user settings, bookmarks and contacts etc. I used an android app called MyBackup. I did not backup SMS as there is an issue restoring them back onto the new Modaco rom. Also I did not backup apps as the new rom installs apps to the sd card leaving more system memory free. You can download them all again quick enough anyway.

2. Backup any photos etc as the sd card will also be fully wiped using my instructions.

Installing Custom Recovery image and repartitioning your sd card for Aps2SD. Use the instructions from here. This will allow you to take a backup image (nandroid backup) of your existing rom and repartition your sdhc card.

Install Recovery Rom

Follow these instructions
    http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/291486/25-08-installing-the-patched-recovery-image-on-your-device-permanently/

Partition your SD card

http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-to-manually-partition-your-sd-card-for-android-apps2sd/

Note 1. After nandroid backup copy it to pc as repartitioning your sd card will erase all data on it.

Note 2. Make sure Setting-Applications-Development-USB debugging is ticked

Installing new Rom

Detailed instructions here
    http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/292018/14-10-2-6-modaco-custom-rom-core-chinese-enhanced-featuring-wavesecure/

First wipe the phone Settings=>Security=>Factory data Reset. Probably not necessary but its what I did moving from default rom. You will lose all data doing this. People have had a few issues not doing this but I have had success using both ways.

Download new Modaco 2.6 core Rom
    http://content.modaco.net/hero/2.6-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip

Do not open it just rename it to update.zip and copy it on your sd card in the root directory.

Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

Select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'from the recovery menu and let it do its thing. Go make a cup of tea or something :)

Reboot when finished

all done

Install Enhanced update

http://content.modaco.net/hero/2.6-update-hero-modacocustomrom-enhanced-signed.zip

Rename to update.zip. Remember to delete previous update from sd card and replace with the enhanced one.

Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

Select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'from the recovery menu and let it do its thing. Go make a cup of tea or something :)

Reboot when finished

all done

Installing new radio

Download http://content.modaco.net/hero/update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08-signed.zip

Rename to update.zip. Remember to delete previous update from sd card and replace with the radio.

Reboot when finished

all done

And that should be it. Let me check tomorrow as its late in case I missed anything though and if you brick your phone don't shoot the messenger. ;)
    If anyone spots any mistakes let me know and I'll edit the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement