Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Good news Hero fans!

http://gizmodo.com/5340981/software-update-fixes-the-htc-heros-only-real-problem

This makes me reconsider deciding not to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

mobius42 wrote: »
    Good news Hero fans!

http://gizmodo.com/5340981/software-update-fixes-the-htc-heros-only-real-problem

This makes me reconsider deciding not to buy one.

That's great news for another "on the fence" potential customer like me.

Now if there was any positive update on this "apps not working on unlocked phones" story, I'd be ordering one straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Yeah that certainly is great news. I have been waiting to hear back if the phone does in fact become sluggish after a while. Great to read that HTC is listening and making positive moves forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Good to see the quick reaction from HTC. I removed a few widgets from the home screen which resolved a lot of the issues but that defeated the purpose of getting the phone over something like the Magic. It appears from rumours circulating that we should have a 'donut' update sometime in September. All is well bar the market place issue. That could take a while but as said a free sim from most of the uk providers will do as a workaround.

Cool...buts whats a "donut" update? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Doh. Apologies for that. It was easily "googleable" - Still great news though. Mr E everything still going well on your end with the phone?

Yeah, love it. Very excited about the ROM upgrade in the next month or two. I definitely notice sluggishness (nothing too bad, by the way, but somewhat noticeable - especially just after 'waking' the phone up or if there are alot of apps loaded).

Absolutely no regrets at all..... its a fantastic phone.

Awesome! I'm holding off for a few months. Might even hold back until the 2.0 upgrade starts shipping with the phones. I certainly love the look and feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Has there been any developments on an Irish network selling these?

Cheers :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

IronWolf wrote: »
    Has there been any developments on an Irish network selling these?

Cheers :).

No. Vodafone have said that they have nothing in the pipeline, O2 have said they're reviewing Android at the moment:
    We are actively reviewing Android at the moment. We don't have a final decision as yet however our approach is to get a great handset that happens to be Android rather than just range an Android device for the sake of it. We have a couple of options at the moment. As I'm sure you know Android has fantastic capabilities and we want to make sure that we pick the right handset for our customers. Will keep you posted!

As for Meteor and Three, I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Fresh topic here on Lifehacker if anyone was interested in rooting their phone
    [url]http://lifehacker.com/5342237/five-great-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone[/url]

Dingatron wrote: »
    Just ordered one of each of the UK sims free so we'll see if i get any of them.:pac:

Used BT11AA as post code as per other threads.

Update. T-Mobile free sim arrived today and I now have access to everything on the market place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Nobrow

Update. T-Mobile free sim arrived today and I now have access to everything on the market place.

Sorry to be dense but I dont get this ...

You're hardly saying you're using a UK sim and roaming on the Irish networks are you?!?

Could you elaborate please?

Sure. Ireland is not a supported region for paid apps at the minute. See this link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=548747&highlight=marketplace

This means you cannot buy CoPiliot Live etc on any Irish mobile network without rooting your phone. As a workaround all you need to do is insert a free UK sim card in your phone and you can download and pay for the apps. I can only confirm this works with T-Mobile as that is the only sim that has been sent to me after applying for most of the free UK ones using the BT11AA postcode. Pain in the a$$ but will do for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im thinking bout buying this phone sim free from here http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=925

I use Meteor as my network but i cant seem to find a straight answer to weather or not ill be able to set up the hero on Meteor for mms mobile internet and so on.

Has anyone any ideas cause this is main thing holding me back from buying the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Nobrow

Im thinking bout buying this phone sim free from here http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=925

I use Meteor as my network but i cant seem to find a straight answer to weather or not ill be able to set up the hero on Meteor for mms mobile internet and so on.

Has anyone any ideas cause this is main thing holding me back from buying the phone.

I can't give you the concrete answers you want, but I imagine you'll be able to get mms and stuff set up. AFAIK Meteor don't have a 3g network (just EDGE/2.75) so you won't get the full potential from the phone on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Nobrow wrote: »
    I can't give you the concrete answers you want, but I imagine you'll be able to get mms and stuff set up. AFAIK Meteor don't have a 3g network (just EDGE/2.75) so you won't get the full potential from the phone on Meteor.

Meteor have the fastest 3.5g network in the country. Couldn't tell you about setting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks for the replys if only customer care could just help u its crazy :p not like im moving from there network.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I've been obsessed with this phone for a while now but still find the price the huge drawback. Looking at installing Android on my HTC Touch Dual for the moment & see how that works out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

I'm setting up my new Hero now and I've noticed that the mobile network symbol is some arrows with the letter H at the top, for HSPA apparently. How's this different from 3G, which it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Should show G for a 3G connection (I think).
    Kahnyl wrote: »
    I'm setting up my new Hero now and I've noticed that the mobile network symbol is some arrows with the letter H at the top, for HSPA apparently. How's this different from 3G, which it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

elderlemon wrote: »
    Should show G for a 3G connection (I think).

Would "G" not be for GPRS?

G with grey arrows: GPRS connected (not in use)
    G with white arrows: GPRS connected (in use)
    3G with grey arrows: 3G connected (not in use)
    3G with white arrows: 3G connected (in use)
    H with grey arrows: HSPA connected (not in use)
    H with white arrows: HSPA connected (in use)

The phone will flick between the 3 of them, depending on what the coverage is like where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Sure. Ireland is not a supported region for paid apps at the minute. See this link below:

This means you cannot buy CoPiliot Live etc on any Irish mobile network without rooting your phone. As a workaround all you need to do is insert a free UK sim card in your phone and you can download and pay for the apps. I can only confirm this works with T-Mobile as that is the only sim that has been sent to me after applying for most of the free UK ones using the BT11AA postcode. Pain in the a$$ but will do for the minute.

Out of interest, what costs would you be looking at on top of the actual cost of the apps by using this method?

Its actually cheaper to buy apps on the market place this way as you are paying UK vat at 15% rather than 21.5%. I bought copilot for £22.60 and paid 3.39 vat. No other costs involved. You do not need to top up the sim card or anything like that. Also I had access to download the free beeb player app which you can't see when Irish sim card. Unfortunately it won't work through an Irish allocated ip address and i can't find any free proxy apps out there.

Just applied for a T-Mobile free sim. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Thanks for the tips.
    So do you have to put the T-mobile card in every time you want to download an app?

I expect so, yes. Its the only way you will see the commercial apps in the marketplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Received this from Meteor.... (which basically says nothing)
    Further to your query I can advise that at present there is no release date set for this handset on the Meteor network.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement