Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I can confirm that there are a lot of Brits on the Costa del Sol quietly working away for cash in hand. But they're not alone. Many Polish workers were doing the same.

There is also a large amount of Brits living suspiciously well with no obvious income. Make what you will of that.

I think they tend to pay property and consumption taxes, so the authorities tend to turn a blind eye. Only issue the Spaniards have would be brits blocking beds in hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Valhallapt wrote: »
    That’s no longer true. The Gap has closed considerably between the NHS and the HSE, a mixture of an improving HSE and a declining NHS.

So, the devil you know (NHS) vs the one you don't (HSE), with 'it's no worse' as the end goal?

Until the RCC is *completely* out of the HSE it won't be possible for it to be as good as the NHS. All the UK pensioners I know of here, travel back to the UK for more advanced procedures (joint replacement, cancers that require advanced therapies).

And, if the UK pensioners start showing up even more, HSE capacity isn't exactly growing. Plus our Dr.s and nurses leave (though, perhaps, that will lessen as the UK no longer is as inviting.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

sam1986uk wrote: »
    ERASMUS was abolished and replaced because it was a cash cow for EU students getting free degrees and absconding without paying the loans back. Boris diplomatically said something along the lines of "The treasury said it just wasn't feasible. ".

Reportedly, over 12,000 graduates have disappeared after gaining their degree in the UK, leaving an unpaid debt of around GBP89 million (US$126 million).

I believe Denmark has an issue with this as well

More likely is that the U.K. refused to participate in Erasmus as the Conservatives wanted to pander to their core xenophobic voters.

If the U.K. was genuinely interested in recouping their money, they could have gone down the path of issuing a European Arrest Warrant for the individuals concerned which would have meant those people would have been liable for arrest and extradition anywhere in the E.U. or EEA as soon as they came to official notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

So we could see Spanish property owners getting deported or not allowed into Spain because their documentation isn’t in order, or they have overstayed?

Brits will only be able to spend 90 days out of every 180 days on the Schengen tourist visa. I think the 90 days starts on entry so they've three months, then have to be gone for three months before they can return. They can apply for extensions to the host country, but I don't think they can split it up over weeks spread evenly over the years.

It gets even worse for Brits who decide to sell up their property in France as they'll be hit for exit tax, which could eat up about 30% of the total sale. This wasn't a problem while the UK was in the EU.

While existing British immigrant communities may have registered under the withdrawal arrangements the new reality will mean property values in the British enclaves will deflate for lack of new entrants, which may well rob many of the ability to afford to return to Britain if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

yagan wrote: »
    Brits will only be able to spend 90 days out of every 180 days on the Schengen tourist visa. I think the 90 days starts on entry so they've three months, then have to be gone for three months before they can return. They can apply for extensions to the host country, but I don't think they can split it up over weeks spread evenly over the years.

It gets even worse for Brits who decide to sell up their property in France as they'll be hit for exit tax, which could eat up about 30% of the total sale. This wasn't a problem while the UK was in the EU.

While existing British immigrant communities may have registered under the withdrawal arrangements the new reality will mean property values in the British enclaves will deflate for lack of new entrants, which may well rob many of the ability to afford to return to Britain if they wanted to.

As mentioned the Spanish and Portuguese will be making Visas available for exactly these non EU folks going forward as it is an industry for them, for the most part the paperwork and requirements should be ok for the class of person who is in a position to retire there.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, the devil you know (NHS) vs the one you don't (HSE), with 'it's no worse' as the end goal?

Until the RCC is *completely* out of the HSE it won't be possible for it to be as good as the NHS. All the UK pensioners I know of here, travel back to the UK for more advanced procedures (joint replacement, cancers that require advanced therapies).

And, if the UK pensioners start showing up even more, HSE capacity isn't exactly growing. Plus our Dr.s and nurses leave (though, perhaps, that will lessen as the UK no longer is as inviting.)

I hate having to defend the HSE, huge room for improvement in almost all aspects, but to be fair the standard of healthcare is Ireland is pretty good compared to most of Europe. The Dutch etc (wealthy western /Northern Europeans) have had great healthcare systems for a very long time, we are really only catching up.

A report by the lancet, one of the most respected medical journals shows Ireland’s healthcare is fairly good by comparison to the NHS https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)30818-8/fulltext

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

schmoo2k wrote: »
    As mentioned the Spanish and Portuguese will be making Visas available for exactly these non EU folks going forward as it is an industry for them, for the most part the paperwork and requirements should be ok for the class of person who is in a position to retire there.

Its an industry in so far that they can support themselves.

Will UK national pension still payout if someone is resident in spain ?

Do these folks have savings to live off, do they have private healthcare.

These is a good few loose ends tbh.

In Portugal you get capital gains and other exemptions when selling your house if you are buying another in the EU. So brits selling in Portugal to go back to Blighty may loose 30% of the sales of their home in tax, many of them I guess can afford two homes anyway so perhaps not a big issue

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

listermint wrote: »
    Will UK national pension still payout if someone is resident in spain ?

The state pension pays out worldwide. Presume the same applies for the Irish. The only question was whether it would be increased to the same level as for people living in the UK every year and that was agreed in the deal. Retirees in Canada and Australia (amongst other places) don't have their pension increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The Devil is in the details for sure and its not going to get easier... But if your financially in a position to buy a property in Spain I would have thought you would sale through the Visa requirements.

(At least CGT means you made a profit on your purchase!)

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    You will get a doctor's appointment here much, much easier than in the UK - a GP appointment would routinely be at least a week there.

I presume this is because not everyone gets free GP appointments in Ireland but they do in the UK. I would probably prefer to pay instead of waiting, but not everyone agrees with that. There are some private GP services in the UK that are available if you don't want to wait. Walk in centres are available for those who want to see someone the same day if you are willing to sit in a waiting room for hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

schmoo2k wrote: »
    The Devil is in the details for sure and its not going to get easier... But if your financially in a position to buy a property in Spain I would have thought you would sale through the Visa requirements.

(At least CGT means you made a profit on your purchase!)

Well, if the property was purchased, say, in 2015 for €100,000, it would have cost GBP 75,000. If it was sold now for €150,000, it would attract, say 30% of €50,000 which is €15,000, so net €135,000. Convert back to GBP is £122,850 @ 0.91p. So still more ££££s than invested despite the CGT.

Now whether that buys a property in the UK is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What does the change to FOM mean for the British retired to the sun? Is that going to stop now? Will those living there have to head home? Or are they to be granted the right to stay?

Will they will have access to healthcare when living in the EU?

Retired, past tense - no significant change, although if they haven't taken steps to declare themselves formally resident in Spain (or elsewhere in the EU), that will increase the risk of finding themselves on the wrong side of a legal argument. As mentioned above, there are a lot of British retirees who live in a shadowy ex-pat world, driving their RHD cars on the wrong side of the road (with no tax or MOT), popping back to England for medical and surgical treatment on the NHS, and claiming whatever top-up bonuses they can get from the British taxpayer to subsidise their sunny lifestyle in Europe. To a certain extent, that situation suits their host country quite well: as long as they don't crash that dubiously-registered car into a native, and keep their noses clean, it quite handy having those British pounds flowing into the Mediterranean economy and the costly stuff like pensions and healthcare not coming out of the local budget.

The change will be felt by future retirees, who can no longer simply turn a holiday into an extended stay into an indefinite retirement (the same goes for younger families who want to "live the dream") The 90-day rule will scupper the kind of try-before-you-buy experience that many couples/families embark upon before committing to any one place. Without making a more definite commitment to the project (i.e. visa application), a British couple can no longer rent an apartment for six months to see if they like they like the area, if they can work remotely, if they can cope with absence from relatives back home, if the transport links are as good in winter as they look in summer ... And then, if/when they decide to move, they cannot just hire a van and self-drive all their stuff from Bognor to Benidorm - they're back in the old system of having to document all their possessions, and may be prevented from bringing grandma's antique chair or grandad's parrot with them. Not huge obstacles to a permanent move, but a whole lot of faff that we EU-ropeans don't have to worry about. Those hurdles extend to their wider circle of family, friends and colleagues too - in ways such as needing customs declarations on birthday gifts, not being able to offer seasonal work to a nephew, or accidentally pushing someone over the 90-day limit by inviting them to stay another week without realising that they already spent 84 days in other parts of the Schengen Area this semester.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    In Portugal you get capital gains and other exemptions when selling your house if you are buying another in the EU. So brits selling in Portugal to go back to Blighty may loose 30% of the sales of their home in tax, many of them I guess can afford two homes anyway so perhaps not a big issue
    Even before Brexit the British EU enclaves saw a contraction after the GBP devaluation in 2008. Even those UK pensioners now legally registered in the EU will have further devaluations to consider in their budgets.

mrunsure wrote: »
    I presume this is because not everyone gets free GP appointments in Ireland but they do in the UK. I would probably prefer to pay instead of waiting, but not everyone agrees with that. There are some private GP services in the UK that are available if you don't want to wait. Walk in centres are available for those who want to see someone the same day if you are willing to sit in a waiting room for hours.

The reason for the week+ wait for a normal GP appointment is lack of capacity at GP level.

As in a supermarket or bank, if you add more personnel to process the queue, the length of time needed to reach the top of the queue shrinks.

Regarding "British enclaves", are there such things as "Irish enclaves" or do the Irish tend to congregate with the British?

View wrote: »
    The reason for the week+ wait for a normal GP appointment is lack of capacity at GP level.

As in a supermarket or bank, if you add more personnel to process the queue, the length of time needed to reach the top of the queue shrinks.

But if you pay, surely you are more likely to cut your visits to the GP down until you really need it? A lot of people in the UK visit the GP for trivial reasons. People in the UK have discussed whether charges would be a good idea but the consensus appears to be that they don't want people discouraged from visiting the GP.

Regarding "British enclaves", are there such things as "Irish enclaves" or do the Irish tend to congregate with the British?

They mix with the middle class brits, e.g. vilamoura and Quinta do largo in the Algarve, equal amounts of brits and Irish

If anything it's the British who seem to have appropriated the Irish pub in the costas as theirs.

A lot of pubs on the costa del blackpool who previously paid young British staff cash in hand will now have to worry about tax and immigration raids.

The British EU enclave economy is going to be totally undermined.

But if you pay, surely you are more likely to cut your visits to the GP down until you really need it? A lot of people in the UK visit the GP for trivial reasons. People in the UK have discussed whether charges would be a good idea but the consensus appears to be that they don't want people discouraged from visiting the GP.

It is certainly true that requiring an upfront payment would reduce demand.It also though creates an incentive for the suppliers of a service to ensure bad service for the “free” service - ie to “force” you to pay for the “private” service (think VHI etc).

Neither of those though alter the fact that the central issue that determines the length of a queue is the capacity to process the queue. That applies irrespective of how payment for the service is made (ie whether upfront or via taxes).

• Advertisement

Jizique wrote: »

Link to the publication referred to in that tweet.

After a quick persual, I'm pleased to see that they've come to much the same conclusion as I did - much more of a Switzerland-minus deal than Canada-plus, an overall very favourable to the EU.

EU controls come into effect on Jan 1st; UK controls come into effect on ... ehhh ... soon ... ish ... [checks staff recruitment] [checks progress on building works] [looks for relevant software icon on Windows 95 desktop] ... in due course.

EU gets to cancel some unilateral contingency measures (e.g. for hauliers) and has a better defined date by which others need to be superseded. In the meantime, UK is kept aligned indefinitely with EU regs and standards, especially in respect of workers' rights and environmental protection, which effectively excludes them from operating as a back door for US agricultural produce or cheap Asian imports.

UK finally gets permission to talk to individual states about reciprocal arrangements, ensuring that UK-in-EU service providers now need to work with 27 different sets of rules, not all of which are compatible with each other, and most of which require separate registration in each individual member state.

All-in-all, a lot of cherry picking by the EU in exchange for a few tonnes of fish. Great job, Michel! Enjoy your retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This is an aside, but I would expect a change here once Covid triggered phone or video GP calls become more popular. I've always had a video call package in my health insurance so I was never hesitant to book a call for "trivial reasons". Now my local GP offers it too. GPs who offer this service will make it easier for people to ask less pressing questions and improve prophylaxis; even with a charge it saves you a trip and waiting for an actual visit. I wonder if GP calls become part of medical card coverage to improve access?

Are you referring specifically to the Spanish costas, or the EU as a whole? I can't comment on what it's like in coastal Spain, but in the rest of the EU, no - the Irish don't tend gather in enclaves. In my experience (15 years of it) for whatever reason, the Irish seem to fall into two categories: the genuine "ex-pats" who live in Europe's major cities for a few years while studying/interning/on secondment; and those (like myself) that disappear into the background and are largely indistinguishable from the locals or other European migrants. In the course of those 15 years, traipsing around several countries, I have probably met less than a dozen Irish people "in the wild" (and none of them in an Irish pub! )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,914 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The numbers are not enough for an Irish enclave to really mean anything.

Some of those British enclaves are so big that the foreigners are getting their candidates elected as mayor's a d the like ahead of local candidates

Are you referring specifically to the Spanish costas, or the EU as a whole? I can't comment on what it's like in coastal Spain, but in the rest of the EU, no - the Irish don't tend gather in enclaves. In my experience (15 years of it) for whatever reason, the Irish seem to fall into two categories: the genuine "ex-pats" who live in Europe's major cities for a few years while studying/interning/on secondment; and those (like myself) that disappear into the background and are largely indistinguishable from the locals or other European migrants. In the course of those 15 years, traipsing around several countries, I have probably met less than a dozen Irish people "in the wild" (and none of them in an Irish pub! )

I was mostly interested whether there was a parallel to the "British enclave" which has been mentioned several times, which mostly refers to working class Brits in Spain. But your additional information was interesting anyway! :)

That's a bit of a myth. My GP in England would always phone interview me first so I would be unable to go for something trivial. Long before Covid my GP would tell you to just stay home with the flu and there was a nationwide NHS campaign about it.
    The reason they are packed is areas in London the size of an Irish county town would often only have one surgery

The only place I saw a difference in culture in healthcare was the A&E where my English friends would go for every little cut

Amongst all the whooping and cheering and great sighs of relief on the Amazon thread, one small point was raised (and ignored) but will be an interesting thing to watch: the no-duties rule does not apply to "diagonal" trade agreements*. A case in point: I ordered napkins for my Christmas table from a GB virtual store trading on Amazon.fr ; they were clearly marked "made in India" in the product description; they were dispatched from GB. Given that these napkins have no component parts other than the cotton thread, and are therefore 100% non-British, my understanding of the new rules is that they cannot be imported duty-free from the UK in the future.

This would fit with Amazon's previously instruction to its marketplace traders that they need to have stock in the EU for delivery to EU customers, and would be a sensible precaution for the EU to take vis à vis not entirely trustworthy British drop-shippers. For people like me living in France, who has to make an effort to find and buy stuff from the UK, and pay for it to be delivered, it won't change a lot. But I would think that this is an example of where Irish customers are going to find themselves frustrated by this prohibition on "diagonal" imports. Over on the Amazon thread, they're still obsessing about VAT and the 22/150€ thresholds and seemingly oblivious to the border down the Irish Sea. :rolleyes:

Something else for which I can't get any hard info at the moment is the import of chilled products - can I, or can't I, buy a job lot of pork pies the next time I pop over to England in my campervan?

Edit: * for those not up to speed with the jargon - UK has FTA with OtherCountry; EU has FTA with OtherCountry; a diagonal import is when EU customer buys something made in OtherCountry from a UK supplier.

Second edit: have just realised that this will apply to a huge chunk of GB clothing retailers selling online to IE customers. :eek:

I was mostly interested whether there was a parallel to the "British enclave" which has been mentioned several times, which mostly refers to working class Brits in Spain. But your additional information was interesting anyway! :)
    Class? Rich brits have their own ghettos too and the super rich brits have the Caymans!

The issue is geopolitical.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    My GP in England would always phone interview me first so I would be unable to go for something trivial.

Before Covid I had never been called by my GP. Since Covid appointments are by phone first and then you get called into the surgery if needed.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    The only place I saw a difference in culture in healthcare was the A&E where my English friends would go for every little cut

Yes, that's true, and the NHS is fed up of the misuse of A&E. In Ireland there's a charge for visiting A&E without a referral which would stop such behaviour.

• Advertisement

Before Covid I had never been called by my GP. Since Covid appointments are by phone first and then you get called into the surgery if needed.

Yes, that's true, and the NHS is fed up of the misuse of A&E. In Ireland there's a charge for visiting A&E without a referral which would stop such behaviour.

Having dealt with both A&E services I would rather wait ages in a packed room for free than wait ages and pay €100. In the NHS system if you go with a stupid reason usually what happens is you get left sitting there all night while they treat the actual needy

Edit: sorry if we have gone a little off track there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement