Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options
1318319320321322324»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

looksee wrote: »
    In the same way that Irish people can say something and everyone understands they mean something else, this is a very English way of saying 'the feckers messed it up', but politely. It will be lost on most Europeans but any English person would know exactly what they were saying.
    It's funny how that word has two different and almost contradictory meanings. Having oversight of something means being responsible for it whereas that tweet uses the other meaning: to forget.

Sorry for the digression, it just struck me as per looksee's post that both meanings could be true here.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

looksee wrote: »
    In the same way that Irish people can say something and everyone understands they mean something else, this is a very English way of saying 'the feckers messed it up', but politely. It will be lost on most Europeans but any English person would know exactly what they were saying.

You're saying a bunch of cheese growers near Liverpool are expert in the stiff-upper-lip, emotionally repressed vernacular of the home counties upper-classes?

Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Was sent this by a pal today which if true proves the point that a picture (or a graphic) speaks a thousand words.

Whenever anyone in the UK wonders why importing and exporting goods, using services across EU borders or simply travelling into and out of the EU has become so much more difficult post Brexit they should just be directed to this or a similar graphic.

SuspVFm.jpg

Would love to find a higher quality version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

54and56 wrote: »
    Was sent this by a pal today which if true proves the point that a picture (or a graphic) speaks a thousand words.

Whenever anyone in the UK wonders why importing and exporting goods, using services across EU borders or simply travelling into and out of the EU has become so much more difficult post Brexit they should just be directed to this or a similar graphic.

SuspVFm.jpg

That is brilliant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MEPs vote to add Channel and British Virgin Islands to tax haven blacklist

It was a close vote 58:50

No wait, it was 587:50 and the UK can no longer use it's veto to protect it's protectorates. If you subscribe to the theory that Brexit was about avoiding new EU tax laws then interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think I might not have been clear in my question.

My understanding is that the treaty was accepted provisionally on the EU side. The EU has not formally ratified it and I think that the MEPs have asked for that timeline for ratification to be extended until April so that they can read through it properly.
    Yes about the extension . It was more that the only reason they might not ratify it is if the UK started playing silly buggers and extract urine.

Which they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

That is brilliant.

You actually need to break the UK down into its constituient nations to show the full detail, with England, Wales and Scotland* adrift, while NI is inside some of the rings.

*for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are lots of versions of that diagram, do a web search.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    You actually need to break the UK down into its constituient nations to show the full detail, with England, Wales and Scotland* adrift, while NI is inside some of the rings.

*for now.

Yeah but it's so stark. They have completely cut themselves adrift. It illustrates the madness of Brexit beautifully. Best Brexit graphic ever.

Some reasonably positive Brexit news from the UK point of view.

Nissan to keep Sunderland open.

"Brexit has given competitive edge on car battery tariffs, says Nissan chief"
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/22/brexit-has-given-competitive-edge-on-car-battery-tariffs-says-nissan-chief
    "Ashwani Gupta, Nissan’s chief operating officer, said: “Brexit gives us the competitive advantage not only within the United Kingdom but outside the United Kingdom also.”
    Speaking from Nissan’s Yokohama headquarters, Gupta said the Brexit deal had turned out to be positive for the carmaker."
    ….
    "The comments mark an abrupt change in tone from Nissan, which along with the rest of the car industry has previously been one of the loudest voices warning against a disruptive Brexit."

Ultimately its a 'Factory doesn't shut' story which of itself isn't something to shout about, but the Nissan/Sunderland thing was for a long while a stick used to beat the North-East working-class Brexiteers with.
    Yes it's a factory doesn't shut story. But with a serious hint of "subsides or we leave" about it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55757930
    UK car investment has fallen sharply since the UK voted to leave the EU.

In the five years to 2016 it averaged £3.5bn per year. In the four years since it has averaged around £1bn - a fall of 71% at a time when the technology and map of car production are going through their biggest revolution since the car was invented.
    CBA looking at the earlier figures but a lot of that £1Bn would be for stuff like warehouse and other Brexit workarounds rather than investments to actually increase productivity.

ONE factory can stay open supplying the UK market if the others leave. Whether more than one can stay supplying the UK and foreign markets is a different question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Yeah but it's so stark. They have completely cut themselves adrift. It illustrates the madness of Brexit beautifully. Best Brexit graphic ever.

No, that title is and always will be held by the staircase of options graph.

Imreoir2 wrote: »

*for now.

Yeah, that crossed my mind. NI should somehow be in the EU segment (merged with RoI obviously :) ) with a dotted line back to Britain rather than the UK. :D

Geuze wrote: »
    There are lots of versions of that diagram, do a web search.

I did, couldn't find anything the same. Lot's of pre brexit forecast of what a hard brexit might look like etc but nothing similar in high quality which reflects the actual TCA post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Yeah, that crossed my mind. NI should somehow be in the EU segment (merged with RoI obviously :) ) with a dotted line back to Britain rather than the UK. :D

And Ireland should be linked back to the U.K. to show we have chosen to prioritise our relationship with a non-EU country over the commitments we entered into in the EU Treaties (which define a borderless area that EU citizens can move freely in - ie Schengen - as a core aim of the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I did, couldn't find anything the same. Lot's of pre brexit forecast of what a hard brexit might look like etc but nothing similar in high quality which reflects the actual TCA post Brexit.

OK, sorry, I meant there are loads of pre 2021 versions.

I must look for post 2021 versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As informative as the graphic is, its inaccurate. Northern Ireland has a separate status to Great Britain in terms of de facto/de jure elements of the EEA and CU.

How you would quite illustrate that I don't know, but its certainly not in the 'UK' outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

It's a consequence, yes, and an avoidable one - but not an oversight as the tweet(er) suggested. If there was any oversight, as in failure to take account, it's on the part of just about everyone in the UK (other than the Brexit-Tory Party, obviously) who didn't pay enough attention to what leaving the SM&CU would mean.

Yes, the tweet is wrong. Leaving the Single Market became official UK government policy in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Yes it's a factory doesn't shut story. But with a serious hint of "subsides or we leave" about it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55757930CBA looking at the earlier figures but a lot of that £1Bn would be for stuff like warehouse and other Brexit workarounds rather than investments to actually increase productivity.

ONE factory can stay open supplying the UK market if the others leave. Whether more than one can stay supplying the UK and foreign markets is a different question.

Nissan had better have something equivalent to this for its EV batteries, or they'll be obsolete pretty soon.
    Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles.

Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis but running out of charge during a journey is a worry for drivers. The new lithium-ion batteries were developed by the Israeli company StoreDot and manufactured by Eve Energy in China on standard production lines.

The batteries can be fully charged in five minutes but this would require much higher-powered chargers than used today. Using available charging infrastructure, StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025.

“The bottleneck to extra-fast charging is no longer the battery,” he said. Now the charging stations and grids that supply them need to be upgraded, he said, which is why they are working with BP. “BP has 18,200 forecourts and they understand that, 10 years from now, all these stations will be obsolete, if they don’t repurpose them for charging – batteries are the new oil.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nissan had better have something equivalent to this for its EV batteries, or they'll be obsolete pretty soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

I would doubt the pretty soon part of your post. Nearly 6 years ago these guys said they would have this battery within a year. Now they are saying by 2025. You should take these lofty claims of massive improvements in battery technology with a healthy dose of salt because they have happened many times over the past few decades and they never live up to the claims or do and come with serious caveats that make them not workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I would doubt the pretty soon part of your post. Nearly 6 years ago these guys said they would have this battery within a year. Now they are saying by 2025. You should take these lofty claims of massive improvements in battery technology with a healthy dose of salt because they have happened many times over the past few decades and they never live up to the claims or do and come with serious caveats that make them not workable.

Batteries will never compare with a 1.4 or 1.6 Diesel engine going up hills or over bad twisty roads or heating a car on a cold morning.
    It’s all fantasy. Sort of like brexit fuelled by ideology. My mother has a hybrid the battery life is pathetic and she is freezing going around in it trying to stay in EV mode. And it’s a 2018 car so not an early example of the technology.
    And broke putting petrol in it. Maybe feasible in city driving .
    But anyway that’s off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

20silkcut wrote: »
    Batteries will never compare with a 1.4 or 1.6 Diesel engine going up hills or over bad twisty roads or heating a car on a cold morning.
    It’s all fantasy. Sort of like brexit fuelled by ideology. My mother has a hybrid the battery life is pathetic and she is freezing going around in it trying to stay in EV mode. And it’s a 2018 car so not an early example of the technology.
    And broke putting petrol in it. Maybe feasible in city driving .
    But anyway that’s off topic.

Completely off topic but wildy hyperbolic too. Over to the ev forum to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Brexit creating new jobs

in France

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

Investment that would have been spent in the UK, moving to the EU.

I know many companies were doing this quietly (the company I work for moved loads of jobs from London after 2016, it didn't do any big bang, just jobs that people left were hired in EU countries, mine didn't exist in Dublin before 2019) post referendum.

The main question is why did it take the end of the transition for these companies to realise that they'd need to move investment to the EU. For all last year it was looking like no deal or a crap deal.

Senior management London based hoping for some hail Mary last minute solutions. Otherwise theyre possibly moving their homes and families..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

https://mobile.twitter.com/gaisfordsurf/status/1352375576145899522/photo/1

Scroll down from the original to the new on a mobile. Can't seem to link directly...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ok. Not sure if we really need a fourteenth (!) thread but in the event that we do, here ye are:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058150676

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement