Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Alan Kinsella (Irish Election Literature) surprisingly bearish on his FF seat tally, bullish on the Greens, Soc Dems and Sol/PBP:

https://twitter.com/electionlit/status/1225732113372241921

assemble a govt. out of that! FF/FG only option, or another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Believe me the first paragraph you mention, there is enough evidence to suggest that FG are using "their friends in the media" to influence public thinking on this election by deliberately using nasty tactics to humiliate and discredit their opponents.

Two questions:
    * doesn't every party try to influence how they - and their opponents - are portrayed in the media? I presume you are saying that FG are doing it either illegally or unethically?
    * what 'evidence'do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

loyatemu wrote: »
    assemble a govt. out of that! FF/FG only option, or another election.

FF/SF/Greens which is listed on Paddy Power at 12/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

nc6000 wrote: »
    What a joke FF are, hammering SF at every turn but their Justice spokesperson is happy to cash in by doing legal work for Gerry Adams while he double-jobs.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/revealed-ff-tds-work-on-legal-case-for-gerry-adams-38934927.html

Whatever about the merits of the article I saw it being tweeted out by follow Indo Pol. Corr. Hugh O'Connell whose sister-in-law Kate is running against Jim O'Callaghan in DBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

C14N wrote: »
    Wouldn't a change of leadership normally be a pretty essential component of rehabilitation though?
    With the drubbing of 2011 I don't think so and TBH he was and may still be the best of them. Remember they had 19, 20 with CC, in 2011 and a load of newbies in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Given the unemployment numbers on paper. A balanced budget compared to where we were 2008 to 2015, FG should have been looking to coast to a strong result in this election. Their whole attitude from top to bottom has stunk and they are getting hammered as a result.

It could have been/should have been very different but they were holed below the waterline for years now. If you told people in 2011 the story with FF back in power now and SF rising they wouldn't have believed you. SF have been losing support for several elections now. Only last month in the North they lost seats to the SDLP.
    they lost 1 seat to the the SDLP and gained one from the DUP, Check your facts

neris wrote: »
    Havent we had 2 doctors who were ministers for health and didnt really do much.
    Six, James Ryan, Noel Browne Rory O'Hanlon and John O'Connell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Ivan Yates predicting Fianna Fáil to break 60.

Sinn Féin on 25 would be a fairly paltry increase of two seats.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1225687811233202177
    FG on 32? That would be only one more seat than that disastrous 2002 election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Of those, I think Michael Gallagher might be nearest the mark. Will be interesting to check afterwards.

FG on 32? That would be only one more seat than that disastrous 2002 election.
    If FG are in the high thirties it'll have been an OK election, FF need that 55 plus and SF will take anything that increases the seats. Would expect the Greens an Labour to have a good election, with Labour holding at about their level or even nudging up one or two and the latter hugely increasing their seat numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Entirely possible that FG/FF get less than all others combined making a straight coalition or confidence arrangement impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Does this thread have to close because of the moratorium now in effect, or does it just apply to TV and radio?

Yes FF need to get to mid fifties to form a coalition Govn't.
    LB + SD + Green around 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

sligeach wrote: »
    Does this thread have to close because of the moratorium now in effect, or does it just apply to TV and radio?

Pretty sure it only applies to TV and radio, as these are basically broadcasters with an outsized platform. You can't really prevent people from just chatting about the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Water John wrote: »
    Of those, I think Michael Gallagher might be nearest the mark. Will be interesting to check afterwards.

I would be inclined to agree, but unfortunately I cannot see the Social Democrats on five. Four at the most, and Labour more likely on six than eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Paddy Power over/unders (odds 5-6 unless stated)

% FPV
    FF 26.55%
    FG 22.5%
    SF 21.55% (under 8-11; over 10-11)
    Green 8.55% (under 4-7; over 5-4)
    Lab 6.55% (under 3-10; over 2-1)

Seats
    FF 54.5
    FG 35.5
    SF 28.5 (under Evens; over 8-11)
    Green 10.5
    Lab 5.5

App isn't showing odds for other parties.

Offering 5-1 on another election before end of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

is_that_so wrote: »
    If FG are in the high thirties it'll have been an OK election, FF need that 55 plus and SF will take anything that increases the seats. Would expect the Greens an Labour to have a good election, with Labour holding at about their level or even nudging up one or two and the latter hugely increasing their seat numbers.

I can see it being good for the Greens too. They were in the pits after their FF coalition, but the environment seems to be becoming a much more central issue in the past few years, even a lot more so than in 2016. The far left fringe parties are trying hard to rebrand themselves as primarily environmentalist parties, with People Before Profit even having a campaign slogan of "Planet Before Profit". They can appeal to people who do care about the environment but can't bring themselves to put one of those parties into power.

PBP are left populists who'll ride any old horse. They have so little understanding of the climate issue, they simply went with a vegan type call, to half the national herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The Indo going all out to damage the shinners.....

SF tight-lipped over probe of WhatsApp group that said IRA victims are 'wasters'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/sf-tight-lipped-over-probe-of-whatsapp-group-that-said-ira-victims-are-wasters-38934932.html

It took an election to finally get an apology from Sinn Féin - not simple human decency

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/it-took-an-election-to-finally-get-an-apology-from-sinn-fein-not-simple-human-decency-38931589.html

Shadowy figures will never forgive brave mother for taking them on

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/shadowy-figures-will-never-forgive-brave-mother-for-taking-them-on-38934935.html

I wonder would the Indo ever ask Micheal Martin why Owen O'Callaghan put 5000 in to his Wifes account. Corruption at best but that does not suit their agenda.
    People will be wise enough to see through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    they lost 1 seat to the the SDLP and gained one from the DUP, Check your facts

And lost 6.6% off their vote share. But sure if they're happy with the result that's all the matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And lost 6.6% off their vote share. But sure if they're happy with the result that's all the matters.
    They didn't stand in a constituency or two to facilitate SDLP or Alliance winning over DUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Wombatman wrote: »
    The Indo going all out to damage the shinners.....

SF tight-lipped over probe of WhatsApp group that said IRA victims are 'wasters'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/sf-tight-lipped-over-probe-of-whatsapp-group-that-said-ira-victims-are-wasters-38934932.html

It took an election to finally get an apology from Sinn Féin - not simple human decency

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/it-took-an-election-to-finally-get-an-apology-from-sinn-fein-not-simple-human-decency-38931589.html

Shadowy figures will never forgive brave mother for taking them on

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/shadowy-figures-will-never-forgive-brave-mother-for-taking-them-on-38934935.html

On the money Wombatman. Agree 1000% plus with your opening comments. Just to note in recent times FF have become a target too by the right-wing hacks in this most provocative tabloid. There are no words to describe this. But at the same time I for one ain't surprised by this type of gutter journalism that exists there when you consider the previous ownership of independent news and media.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Believe me the first paragraph you mention, there is enough evidence to suggest that FG are using "their friends in the media" to influence public thinking on this election by deliberately using nasty tactics to humiliate and discredit their opponents.

Again, I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but I'd seriously doubt the Indo is Fine Gael mouthpiece. Even just looking at its front page every morning, it was evident that they were all over the Maria Bailey story for weeks on end for example. If Fine Gael did have any influence on the paper, you wouldn't expect that to happen.

Even if the Indo is slanted towards the Fine Gael viewpoint, so what? Nobody is making you buy it.

Overall they didn't lose any seats is my point which you tried to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

sligeach wrote: »
    I can't believe that I'm hearing that Fianna Fail are leading the polls. Do people have that short of a memory? They bankrupted and made a balls of the country. They still have people in the party who were responsible for that, including their leader.

"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

True, but realistically (that being the key term), what are the alternatives ? IMHO 9 or 10 years is enough/too much for any government and a change is inevitably needed. Rightly or wrongly its always going to flip from FF to FG and back again as most people in Ireland are broadly middle of the road, sensible, pragmatic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Newstalk last evening was shocking tbh, it was actually so blatantly obvious what they were at, they didn't even try and disguise it.

Eoghan Harris was on Shinner bashing, proclaiming Michaél Martin was incapable of lying, and a vote for Sinn Fein made you complicit in murder. "Vote for Michaél, vote for Michaél, vote for Michaél" was all I could think off everytime he opened his high pitched mouth and spoke.

The next section was a piece on Glasnevin cemetery and some historian basically blaming Sinn Fein for being behind the vandslism.

Quirky followed up by Michaél Martin himself having a more than soft light hearted conversation with Yates.

I suspect they're going to be recieving lots of correspondence accusing them of bias - it went on for the best part of an hour solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Again, I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but I'd seriously doubt the Indo is Fine Gael mouthpiece. Even just looking at its front page every morning, it was evident that they were all over the Maria Bailey story for weeks on end for example. If Fine Gael did have any influence on the paper, you wouldn't expect that to happen.

Even if the Indo is slanted towards the Fine Gael viewpoint, so what? Nobody is making you buy it.

What the Indo and the IT did this week was scandalous, purely because FG & FF were struggling against the SF tidal wave,made me even more determined to vote for Mary Lou.......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

WM18 wrote: »
    What the Indo and the IT did this week was scandalous, purely because FG & FF were struggling against the SF tidal wave,made me even more determined to vote for Mary Lou.......

What are you alleging they did exactly? I don't read the Indo regularly but I would read the Irish Times every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

What are you alleging they did exactly? I don't read the Indo regularly but I would read the Irish Times every day.

obvious disproportionate SF bashing compared to other parties....

Advertisement