Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

SIRO Rollout so far in numbers.

45396444221_cfa63fbcaa_b.jpg

That's unique buildings (not premises) and omitting those who don't have an eircode. Guestimate would be another 1k or so without eircodes.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6 furstenburg

Anyone able to tell me what speed they are getting through siro and how stable it is? Also is the stock router with VF ok or does it need upgrading once you have it all set up?

I live in the limerick area and its just been installed in our estate. Thinking of changing from VM and posts seemed to suggest it wasn't great. However, they are from a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Sick of the VM price hikes and inconsistent service. One issue we have is that the modem they provide is in our sitting room and tgat gives us zero coverage upstairs. They refused to put it anywhere else when installing.

Siro is currently available for my house.
    How do I decide between Vodafone and Digiweb? What package? And what should I look for to solve my coverage issue?

I really only use Wi-Fi for Netflix in living room and Wi-Fi on my phone (which I have to turn off upstairs due to poor signal). But my son is an avid gamer and is constantly complaining about the speed and stability of our current internet.

And advice greatly appreciated, I'm lost with the technical side.

I'm Interested in this also as am undecided between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Moanin wrote:
    I'm Interested in this also as am undecided between both.

Me too but I'm leaning towards digiweb because of their superior customer service and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Anyone able to tell me what speed they are getting through siro and how stable it is? Also is the stock router with VF ok or does it need upgrading once you have it all set up?

I live in the limerick area and its just been installed in our estate. Thinking of changing from VM and posts seemed to suggest it wasn't great. However, they are from a couple of years ago.

I'm getting on average about 940 - 950 Mbs, despite the few installation hiccups I have to say so far so good.
    The Vodafone Gigiabox is better than I expected as well, wireless over 5Ghz is giving me around 250mbs, I am transferring files wirelessly at around 40 - 50 mbs - from 1Gb to 10Gb in size.
    Wireless coverage again is better than I expected, I've since switched off my sonicwall as the VF Gigiabox gives better coverage indoors.

• Advertisement

kao123 wrote: »
    I'm getting on average about 940 - 950 Mbs, despite the few installation hiccups I have to say so far so good.
    The Vodafone Gigiabox is better than I expected as well, wireless over 5Ghz is giving me around 250mbs, I am transferring files wirelessly at around 40 - 50 mbs - from 1Gb to 10Gb in size.
    Wireless coverage again is better than I expected, I've since switched off my sonicwall as the VF Gigiabox gives better coverage indoors.

Installation hiccups?
    Do you know does the box have to be installed on the inside of where the ESB meter is? or can it come in anywhere on the exterior of your house? Conflicting info online

Installation hiccups?
    Do you know does the box have to be installed on the inside of where the ESB meter is? or can it come in anywhere on the exterior of your house? Conflicting info online

There are 2 boxes.

- One box is a joiner, that is intended for servicing. It's mounted outside on the wall, where the cable goes inside the house.
    - The other box is the ODP, that also acts as cradle for the ONT and that is fitted inside the house where the router is.

Nothing gets fit in the ESB Meter box. The cabling goes through the ESB meter, if the ESB ducting is used. That's about it. If you read back on this thread, you'll find plenty of pictures.

And as for hiccups, there is no such things. As with every new cable, that's brought into a premise, there can be obstacles. (Blocked duct, etc.) SIRO are fairly good at tackling them one by one. But yes, if the perception is, that you get the installation the day you first scheduled it, then you might get disappointed.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There are 2 boxes.

- One box is a joiner, that is intended for servicing. It's mounted outside on the wall, where the cable goes inside the house.
    - The other box is the ODP, that also acts as cradle for the ONT and that is fitted inside the house where the router is.

Nothing gets fit in the ESB Meter box. The cabling goes through the ESB meter, if the ESB ducting is used. That's about it. If you read back on this thread, you'll find plenty of pictures.

And as for hiccups, there is no such things. As with every new cable, that's brought into a premise, there can be obstacles. (Blocked duct, etc.) SIRO are fairly good at tackling them one by one. But yes, if the perception is, that you get the installation the day you first scheduled it, then you might get disappointed.

/M

Thanks Marlow. I had seen elsewhere that the initial box went on the inside of your house, where the meter is on the outside, and required a powerpoint. There isnt one at this location in our house and so I want to ask them to run the cable around the front of our house (along the outside wall) and in the living room wall where there's plug sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

kao123 wrote: »

5Ghz N or AC you getting 250 Mbps
    If that is AC then that's not good wireless performance
    What device you using with 5Ghz

Good 5Ghz AC wireless on 1000 Mbps broadband would would be around 400 Mbps to 600 Mbps

I get at the moment the full 360Mbps wireless with my Asus AC wireless router on my Samsung S8 using 5Ghz AC connection with Virgin 360 broadband and wired 360 Mbps to 370 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

paulboland wrote: »
    5Ghz N or AC you getting 250 Mbps
    If that is AC then that's not good wireless performance
    What device you using with 5Ghz

Good 5Ghz AC wireless on 1000 Mbps broadband would be around 400 Mbps to 600 Mbps

I get at the moment the full 360Mbps wireless with my Asus AC wireless router on my Samsung S8 using 5Ghz AC connection with Virgin 360 broandband and wired 360 Mbps to 370 Mbps
    Here is a screenshot from my Samsung S8
    5Ghz AC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Installation hiccups?

The hiccups were with the physical setup, getting the fibre to my house, that took a few visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

So currently on Siro 300 with Vodafone, was installed in Feb 2017 so out of contract with Vodafone.
    Called their sales line but sales agent says that I would have to pay the full €90 per month if I wanted to move to gigabit service.
    So looks like I'll have to switch to digiweb if I want the gigabit service (only a choice of Digiweb and Vodafone in my area).
    Has anyone any experience of switching SIRO resellers?
    Is there much downtime involved?
    Cheers

talla wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of switching SIRO resellers?
    Is there much downtime involved?
    Cheers

None. It's instant. Here's the fun part: if you're coming from Vodafone, you can stick another providers router with their credentials on your SIRO connection, while you're still with Vodafone.

Vodafone ignore the credentials, authenticate on CSID (circuit reference) and you'll be online anyhow.

So when Vodafone drops and the new provider comes online, it'll just drop the PPPoE session and re-connect. Job done.

You will need the SIRO UAN from your Vodafone bill. It's at the top of page 2 and 3, I think, and starts with SIVF*******

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Me too but I'm leaning towards digiweb because of their superior customer service and support.

I signed up with Digiweb and went for the pack which includes phone calls (Broadband Talk & Calls unlimited). The Introductory offer for the 1st 12 months is €20 per month for 1st 2 months then €65 for the next 10. They advised that it will increase to €95 per month after 12 months but they would offer discounts to try to 'keep' existing customers.

lead time for installation is 4 weeks ish.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Earlier this month over 350 premises in Clarecastle were passed another update also contains over 150 additional premises in Limerick.

We've additionally made improvements to the checker.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Earlier this month over 350 premises in Clarecastle were passed another update also contains over 150 additional premises in Limerick.

We've additionally made improvements to the checker.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Thanks Mike.

I'm waiting on my area to be cabled but when it is, I will be in touch.
    Trying to ascertain timescales is a nightmare!
    Work was undertaken that enabled a few houses at the entrance to my estate but nothing further undertaken as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

That's unique buildings (not premises) and omitting those who don't have an eircode.
    /M

Can you please explain the difference? Is it something like 'a block of apartments' vs 'individual apartments'?

Apogee wrote: »
    Can you please explain the difference? Is it something like 'a block of apartments' vs 'individual apartments'?

Pretty much. In some cases an Eircode can span over a bunch of individual premises all sharing the same eircode.

It mostly happens in business parks etc. But in the case of that siro rollout it's a difference of nearly 5000 lines. A little over 180k eircodes covering a little over 185k premises.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone know what the timeframe is from the guys messing with the boxes in your estate to SIRO going live?

They were here about a month ago but its still not live for me.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anyone know what the timeframe is from the guys messing with the boxes in your estate to SIRO going live?

They were here about a month ago but its still not live for me.

Sync with the providers is once a month, the odd sync in between. 1-3 months is the best guestimate, depending on if it's a new area or a build-out of an existing area.

If it's a new area, it could be longer.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Today, after getting extra cable installed last week and them telling me that we could have the modem installed under stairs in hall were a double power socket is, the engineer came around to install the hardware.
    Well, the first thing he said was that he couldn't install it there and the only option was to drill through lounge wall and install it, using a long extension cable. This is because it was more than a metre inside and due to carcinogenic properties of the cable, it was not allowed to be more than a metre. (Later discovered that if a fire occurred the casing on wire would give off carcinogenic fumes. What wouldn't.)

It was done very tidily and on connection was getting around 600 when plugged into modem. The modem is the newer version which came out a month ago, he said previous version was not up to the job. After he had gone we started getting speeds of 60mb/s and also discovered that the phone, now plugged into the modem wouldn't ring with incoming calls. (This now resolved, hadn't ported old number over)

Contacted Vodafone chat who informed me that the line would be unstable until order complete on 25th which should then result in normal operation.
    Even via the extension cable we should still get 600-700mb/s.

So I will be contacting them again Thursday if no improvement.

So at the mo we get around 50-60mb/s on powerline adapters and wifi.

kleefarr wrote: »
    After he had gone we started getting speeds of 60mb/s and also discovered that the phone, now plugged into the modem wouldn't ring with incoming calls.

Contacted Vodafone chat who informed me that the line would be unstable until order complete on 25th which should then result in normal operation.
    Even via the extension cable we should still get 600-700mb/s.

That's a lot of nonsense. If you don't get the speed over wifi, then that's a problem with the router, your device or interference. It is, at the end of the day, your responsibility.

If the cable gives you the correct speeds .. depending on what your computer can handle and what speedtest servers you are testing to, then there is nothing wrong with your line.

It's up to you to check, that you set up a wifi channel, that works, that you don't test using 2.4 GHz (because you will not see the speeds there) etc. etc. etc.

But them telling you it's going to be unstable until the 25th is the biggest hoax, I've ever heard. Vodafone in a nutshell.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

That's a lot of nonsense. If you don't get the speed over wifi, then that's a problem with the router, your device or interference. It is, at the end of the day, your responsibility.

If the cable gives you the correct speeds .. depending on what your computer can handle and what speedtest servers you are testing to, then there is nothing wrong with your line.

It's up to you to check, that you set up a wifi channel, that works, that you don't test using 2.4 GHz (because you will not see the speeds there) etc. etc. etc.

But them telling you it's going to be unstable until the 25th is the biggest hoax, I've ever heard. Vodafone in a nutshell.

/M

Speedtests done on ookla to Carlow Blacknight as suggested by installer as it would give a truer reading. Two weeks to fiddle with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I got talking to two guys from TLI group near my house earlier today, they said they are surveying for SIRO.

Not getting my hopes up just yet but if they are doing a viability study on the area its positive something might happen..

BArra wrote: »
    I got talking to two guys from TLI group near my house earlier today, they said they are surveying for SIRO.

Not getting my hopes up just yet but if they are doing a viability study on the area its positive something might happen..

Since you're on Nova, it's to be assumed you're in Cork. The SIRO rollout planned for Cork city is massive. The only thing that really could prevent you from getting it are collapsed ducts or direct buried cables. And even then they'll try surface retractable solutions.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Carrigtwohill was announced by them as a planned area, my house is in the next town over, Glounthaune, which I assume means the electricity cables run from/to

Im not up to speed with the technicality of how it works, I must research it.

The TLI guy mentioned being on the main line would be required, which I think we are, we even have a pole with a transformer on our land and his maps showed interest in some houses that are around my own house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Pretty much. In some cases an Eircode can span over a bunch of individual premises all sharing the same eircode.

It mostly happens in business parks etc. But in the case of that siro rollout it's a difference of nearly 5000 lines. A little over 180k eircodes covering a little over 185k premises.

/M

That's actually an Eircode database error or a private development with one address for multiple businesses. Eircode does not normally cover more than one address.

The issue could be where various companies didn't have individual addresses. Ireland has a huge issue with non individual addresses like "Murphy's Widgets, Ballytown Industrial Estate, Kildare."

It's possible that some of those addresses weren't captured by An Post as individual so didn't get into the Eircode database.

The issue is developers not assigning building or unit numbers or all of the people in a particular development not using them.

Really people should contact their postman/woman and ask them to report the address back. As far as I'm aware they're the people who report new addresses back into the database and that's what passes it over to Eircode.

There seems to be no way of triggering this yourself which is pretty stupid as you can't easily get errors corrected.

There's also an issue where if a business park has a group mailbox or something like that - mail is delivered to the gate or security hut, then it doesn't have multiple addresses and ESB should really be able to recognise that there's a complex installation involved

EdgeCase wrote: »
    or a private development with one address for multiple businesses. Eircode does not normally cover more than one address.

Yep. Exactly this. And it happens quite a lot. I've even seen it for houses, that subsequently have been converted to apartements.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That's something Siro should be able to resolve with a tick box.
    Is this Eircode unique to your premises?
    If they select No they could ask for an MPRN from your electricity bill to uniquely identify it.

There's no much Eircode can do as basically they're not addresses / mail delivery points. It's more like the issues you would get with buildings on a campus.

Also where you don't yet have an Eircode eg new build, you might already have an MPRN or be able to key in a short description of the location to have it checked out.

Eircode could also do with having an ability to report errors like that as I know the other extreme happens too where one house has multiple Eircodes due to having had home businesses that were treated as different addresses. Someone along the way captured them as different addresses.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    That's something Siro should be able to resolve with a tick box.

There is absolutely no problem solving this with SIRO. It's a non-issue.

SIRO operates on the basis of premise-ids. And because of that, it's possible to order SIRO even when multiple premises share the same eircode or a premise doesn't have an eircode at all.

It depends on how good your provider understands the data that SIRO provides them with.

So, if you believe that you have been passed, but can't look up your premises because your eircode is too new or not assigned yet, you can still order.

It's OpenEIR, that refuses to enable a premise for FTTH without eircode, not SIRO.

/M

Advertisement