Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Is the process to connect your own modem to Vodafone for siro still using the serial number of the modem then supply you as the username and the ont serial number as the password?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Is the process to connect your own modem to Vodafone for siro still using the serial number of the modem then supply you as the username and the ont serial number as the password?
    Cheers

Supposedly. Also, it was the ONT password. Not the ONT serial number. The fun part is though, that I've found that the PPPoE also connects when the credentials are completely wrong.

They seem to authenticate on the CSID of the PPPoE session only and ignoring the credentials completely.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Marlow wrote: »
    Supposedly. Also, it was the ONT password. Not the ONT serial number. The fun part is though, that I've found that the PPPoE also connects when the credentials are completely wrong.

They seem to authenticate on the CSID of the PPPoE session only and ignoring the credentials completely.

/M

Any idea where I find the ont password?
    Need to look up what CSID is thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭banie01

SIRO have confirmed that my EirCode is included in their build plan :)
    But no update on when to expect it :(

Still now I have something to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Any idea where I find the ont password?
    Need to look up what CSID is thanks

You don't need any of it. That's the whole idea. Just type in whatever and connect like that.

The CSID is the circuit reference. It gets added automatically to your PPPoE session by SIRO, when you connect to Vodafone. And that seems to be, what Vodafone looks at.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Marlow wrote: »
    It's OpenEIR, that refuses to enable a premise for FTTH without eircode, not SIRO.

/M

That's one of the reasons I'm very keen to get Siro. I'd the misfortune of having to deal with Eir to get an account name changed due to a bereavement and it's like a bureaucratic nightmare of an organisation where nobody knows what's going on. I literally spend hours on hold being bounced from department to department or just cut off.

Then they managed to screw up the whole thing and cause technical problems with part of it.

The whole process took over two weeks and several hours of phone calls and having to check everything they did to ensure it wasn't screwed up.

Every other utility we had to deal with took at most 10 mins and were highly respectful and efficient. Sky, Electric Ireland, Energia, Irish Water, TV Licensing, banks, various government agencies you name it - all absolutely lovely and very helpful. Eir were just the pits. I really couldn't put into words how bad it was.

They're fine, as long as absolutely nothing in anyway outside of what they expect normal procedures happens and you never ever have to speak to them.

I'm put off for life. So, roll on Siro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Just got Siro 1000mbs installed. The box is at my front door. The engineer advised getting a powerline adapter to behind the TV as I want to wire it to my Shield etc. Could anyone suggest an adapter, preferably with passthrough, that would support the max speeds?

tia

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Double C wrote:
    Just got Siro 1000mbs installed. The box is at my front door. The engineer advised getting a powerline adapter to behind the TV as I want to wire it to my Shield etc. Could anyone suggest an adapter, preferably with passthrough, that would support the max speeds?

I would want mine installed where my old modem was in front room I don't want wires everywhere. Was that a option for you?

I would want mine installed where my old modem was in front room I don't want wires everywhere. Was that a option for you?

No, it came through the electric box on the wall outside so it comes in on the opposite side of that wall. I could run a cable but I don't want to do that, I wouldn't be able to hide it. I queried it right away and he said the adpater was the way to go. I've seen one online, the TP Link TL-PA4020PKIT, but I want to know it will do what I want before pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Double C wrote:
    No, it came through the electric box on the wall outside so it comes in on the opposite side of that wall. I could run a cable but I don't want to do that, I wouldn't be able to hide it. I queried it right away and he said the adpater was the way to go. I've seen one online, the TP Link TL-PA4020PKIT, but I want to know it will do what I want before pulling the trigger.

So he said he could run a cable around the house and into the front room for you but you declined?
    Just trying to see as I'm gonna be in the same boat.

• Advertisement

So he said he could run a cable around the house and into the front room for you but you declined?
    Just trying to see as I'm gonna be in the same boat.

He didn't offer to run one, he just said it could be done! He said there would be no drop in signal with the adapters anyway so that was the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

you will get nowhere near the speeds you pay for using Powerline adapters, run cat6 cables from the modem to where you want them into appropriate devices capable of using that much speed is the only thing that will maximise what you pay for in the best of conditions

option 1:
    run cat6 cable from the router to the room you use most, install say a Ubiquiti ac access point and connect your devices over 5Ghz wifi, this if placed right could give 300-500Mbps speeds if the connecting devices can support multi channel 5ghz

if you were doing this then its feasible to run more cables directly into devices

option 2:
    the Powerline adapters are hit and miss, variable factors effect speed. ie. your internal electricity network layout, degradation, different electric runs, distance, how you connect the adapters to mains plug socket or extension lead. if you do go for the Powerline option, pick a standard AV1000 or above. nobody can tell you accurately what sort of speeds you will be able to get through them though

even if you hard wired direct to your devices: ie. Cat6 to Shield

- your connecting devices eg. Nvidia Shield needs to have a 1gbit interface which I think it does
    - whether you pull these speeds is another note as what's feeding the services you are using ie. streaming might not have enough bandwidth to maximise your 1gbit connection
    - this may not mean anything as you can still stream fast enough for 4K+ content without coming anywhere near maxing out the siro 1gbit
    - you will only be maxing out your Siro if you have the right equipment directly connected by cat6, and the services you want to use can supply that much bandwidth which in real world would only be downloading large game files, system images, etc

edit: have a read of this thread from a person in similar predicament - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057922412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Double C wrote: »

Do not expect to get anywhere close to 1000Mb through powerline adapters. They may or may not work relatively well depending on the electrical wiring in your home. No-one can tell you for sure how they will perform. Buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy so that you can get your money back if not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

He didn't offer to run one, he just said it could be done! He said there would be no drop in signal with the adapters anyway so that was the way to go.

Well that is a lie anyway.

BArra wrote: »
    you will get nowhere near the speeds you pay for using Powerline adapters, run cat6 cables from the modem to where you want them into appropriate devices capable of using that much speed is the only thing that will maximise what you pay for in the best of conditions

option 1:
    run cat6 cable from the router to the room you use most, install say a Ubiquiti ac access point and connect your devices over 5Ghz wifi, this if placed right could give 300-500Mbps speeds if the connecting devices can support multi channel 5ghz

if you were doing this then its feasible to run more cables directly into devices

option 2:
    the Powerline adapters are hit and miss, variable factors effect speed. ie. your internal electricity network layout, degradation, different electric runs, distance, how you connect the adapters to mains plug socket or extension lead. if you do go for the Powerline option, pick a standard AV1000 or above. nobody can tell you accurately what sort of speeds you will be able to get through them though

even if you hard wired direct to your devices: ie. Cat6 to Shield

- your connecting devices eg. Nvidia Shield needs to have a 1gbit interface which I think it does
    - whether you pull these speeds is another note as what's feeding the services you are using ie. streaming might not have enough bandwidth to maximise your 1gbit connection
    - this may not mean anything as you can still stream fast enough for 4K+ content without coming anywhere near maxing out the siro 1gbit
    - you will only be maxing out your Siro if you have the right equipment directly connected by cat6, and the services you want to use can supply that much bandwidth which in real world would only be downloading large game files, system images, etc

edit: have a read of this thread from a person in similar predicament - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057922412

OK I'll read over that thread, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭j_lennon18

I had a pair of TP Link TL-PA4020PKIT and they worked ok. I did have to reset (just turn off/on) the odd time (~once a month) which was annoying but I could live with it. They were plugged in to the 2 farthest points of my house. I was getting download speeds of about 40-50 Mbps on my Virgin Media 240Mb line from the point furthest away from my router.

I decided to upgrade to TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 6-7 months ago (was on special offer for £63) and I am now getting download speeds of 90-100 Mbps from the same point and I never had to reset them.

Obviously your speed would vary (lots of factors can effect the speed) but that's my experience with them. If I had Siro 1000 Mbps broadband then I would first chose to install a cable. And if I had to get powerline adaptor then I would get the best one I could get.

well there you go, an example of av2000 Powerline doing around 100Mbps, or 10% of siro 1gbit, an absolute waste

I have a MIMO capable WiFi router and ditched my power line adapters when it quickly became clear that a 5ghz WiFi connection was @4times faster and had way less packet loss.

that's the problem with having a 1gbit connection, the end user who isn't technically minded won't know their pc/laptop/phone does not physically have the hardware capable of hitting top speed or indeed being able to attain a very high rate

for 5Ghz wifi on 80Mhz bandwidth channel then only top of the line products can make use of it, if you have them and the router is in the same room then great, step outside the room and those speeds plummet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's a case by case scenario really. I get way more packet loss on 5ghz Wifi than I do on my TP link adapters. I'm not on SIRO, on VM 360mb but essentially the end-result we all want is the same. With TP Link 1300mbps adapters I'm getting 300/360mbps from across the house (not a new build). The 5ghz wifi gives me similar speeds but latency is choppy. If you can get some LAN adapters to try, then do so, and see which works best in your house.

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    that's the problem with having a 1gbit connection, the end user who isn't technically minded won't know their pc/laptop/phone does not physically have the hardware capable of hitting top speed or indeed being able to attain a very high rate

for 5Ghz wifi on 80Mhz bandwidth channel then only top of the line products can make use of it, if you have them and the router is in the same room then great, step outside the room and those speeds plummet

Undoubtedly.
    I have a weird setup as is with a dual wan and a router in the house and a second router as an access point out in the ManCave/office.
    Wired via Cat5e/6 is always best, but in most cases even a low end 2.4ghz connection at a stable 72mb is better than power line adapters

cherryghost put it best, every situation is different, could hypothesise till the cows come home, he says he gets 300Mbps on his Powerline setup which is pretty good
    but of course that's dependent on his exact Powerline adapters and his internal electricity network to his home

whether you have 1gbit siro/eir and the above would be sufficient for your needs is dependent, some households 'could' run ethernet cable around to house to fix it but the reality is sometimes they may not be allowed to or they couldn't be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

You shouldn't have a problem with that. They will run an outside line from the electricity box to a front room, and then take it in from there. In my case, they ran a line to a first floor front room.

Glounthaune in Cork has TLI surveying pole infrastructure for the past two weeks, I assume if they deem it viable they will add it to the rollout. Hammering poles to see if any rot, doing sketches etc. Fingers crossed anywho it's added to the rollout.

This town sits between Carrigtohill and Little Island which are already planned by Siro to provide service.

Think the POP station is in the IDA business park in Carrigtohill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

We really need to be prewiring houses with ethernet or flexible ducts that can carry ethernet or maybe future fibre versions of it.

Wiring at least one communications socket per room should be as fundamental as wiring mains sockets.

France, for example, has required data networking wiring in houses for quite a while now. It means you can easily cope with big data loads for IPTV, streaming media and so on around your house.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Wiring at least one communications socket per room should be as fundamental as wiring mains sockets.

I'm blue in the face saying it.

Part of the reason it hasn't happened is a misguided belief that wireless is the future (it's the same nonsense that informs to oft-spouted rubbish that we don't need fibre, won't we have 5G?) - why would you want to run comms cabling around your house, when everything will be wireless in the future anyway?

It seems to be almost impossible to beat the message into people's heads: wireless is for mobility, wired is for performance and reliability. 4/5G for nomadic and handheld devices away from home; WiFi for nomadic and handheld devices at home (and elsewhere, but you get the idea); Ethernet/fibre for devices that don't move like TVs, PCs and games consoles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

100%. At this stage all providers are going to get are escalating number of complaints of why they are getting nowhere near full speed, which probably the majority of subscribers use the most basic equipment and basic wifi. I have an oldish house but once I get SIRO available at mine, I plan on putting a 24 port gigabit hub in the attic and run Cat6 cables to as many rooms as I feasibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm blue in the face saying it.

Part of the reason it hasn't happened is a misguided belief that wireless is the future (it's the same nonsense that informs to oft-spouted rubbish that we don't need fibre, won't we have 5G?) - why would you want to run comms cabling around your house, when everything will be wireless in the future anyway?

It seems to be almost impossible to beat the message into people's heads: wireless is for mobility, wired is for performance and reliability. 4/5G for nomadic and handheld devices away from home; WiFi for nomadic and handheld devices at home (and elsewhere, but you get the idea); Ethernet/fibre for devices that don't move like TVs, PCs and games consoles.

It would seem that unless the UK specifies this wiring in their building regs then we won't.
    That is where it would do most good IMO.
    Even if the UK do (disregarding Brexit), it would probably be 10 years later that we would adopt it.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Premises enabled within our coverage:
    • Athlone: 409
    • Shannon: 74
    • Limerick: 505
    • Portlaoise: 12

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

When you think about it, 6x100 plus 1x300 connections to powerline adapters with 5/6ms pings and good connections = 900mb/s. I know it's not all being used at same time, but I'm happy with it anyway until I get cabling installed.

Advertisement