Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

How long it takes depends on the area, you're in. If the fibre already is in your ESB meter, then usually a week.

If there is no ONT fitted yet, then yes, SIRO are now using a new type ODP, that acts as cradle for the ONT. So it's a lot tidier.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Hi,

Siro is now available at my house in Navan and now I need to decide on supplier (Vodafone or Digiweb).

Has anybody experiences with either? Vodafone are cheapest if ordering online.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Moanin wrote: »
    Hi,

Siro is now available at my house in Navan and now I need to decide on supplier (Vodafone or Digiweb).

Has anybody experiences with either? Vodafone are cheapest if ordering online.

Thanks

I went digiweb, and had it installed in the week, everything works no issues so never had to call them, im happy is all i can say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I went digiweb, and had it installed in the week, everything works no issues so never had to call them, im happy is all i can say
    I'm looking at calling digiweb this thursday to get siro from them and would like to know
    How many days after you ordered was the install done and was they good with where you wanted the Siro ONT terminal put that connects to the wireless router

I my case it would have to be upstairs in one of the bedrooms as this is where my main pc is and the switch that connects a lot of other devices wired

When does the Activation Fee €49 have to be paid in this to be paid in advance or is it added to first bill

paulboland wrote: »
    I'm looking at calling digiweb this thursday to get siro from them and would like to know
    How many days after you ordered was the install done and was they good with where you wanted the Siro ONT terminal put that connects to the wireless router

I my case it would have to be upstairs in one of the bedrooms as this is where my main pc is and the switch that connects a lot of other devices wired

I ordered on the monday or tuesday had it on the saturday, The point i wanted it was direclty beside the main ESB box was was not an issue but as long as its easyily accesible they should put it where you want, No matter who you order with the same company do the install on behalf of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Anybody experience with Vodafone (Good or bad)?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Question that has been addressed to some extent in here I know, but there are a lot of posts so it is difficult to get fully relevant info.

SIRO is not available for me yet, but I am hopeful that it will be in the reasonably near future. I know that when installing it, they will not run a line into the attic which is where I would ideally like it, but my question is around alternatives to this.

I have cat 6 points all around my house, with a switch, NAS, etc in the attic, and this is where the phone/internet point is currently located. If this new connection comes into the hall downstairs (for example), will I be able to connect the modem to this point and it'll be available elsewhere too? I'm possibly not explaining this too well, but hopefully I have explained it well enough.

I suspect it won't be that simple though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

5starpool wrote: »
    Question that has been addressed to some extent in here I know, but there are a lot of posts so it is difficult to get fully relevant info.

SIRO is not available for me yet, but I am hopeful that it will be in the reasonably near future. I know that when installing it, they will not run a line into the attic which is where I would ideally like it, but my question is around alternatives to this.

I have cat 6 points all around my house, with a switch, NAS, etc in the attic, and this is where the phone/internet point is currently located. If this new connection comes into the hall downstairs (for example), will I be able to connect the modem to this point and it'll be available elsewhere too? I'm possibly not explaining this too well, but hopefully I have explained it well enough.

I suspect it won't be that simple though.

Locate the router near a Cat6 point. Connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router to the point. All other points in the house now have internet.

Locate the router near a Cat6 point. Connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router to the point. All other points in the house now have internet.

Great. Aside from having the router in an area I'd prefer not to have it, it seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue for me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

With the gigabit plan on VF, if you take TV is the speed reduce ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

5starpool wrote: »
    Great. Aside from having the router in an area I'd prefer not to have it, it seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue for me. Thanks.

Put the ONT in the hallway and the router in the attic if you like.

ONT - Wall port - Router - Switch
    NikoTopps wrote: »
    With the gigabit plan on VF, if you take TV is the speed reduce ?

It may hold a fixed QoS stream for the STB but whats 8Mb at those speeds?

ED E wrote: »
    Put the ONT in the hallway and the router in the attic if you like.

ONT - Wall port - Router - Switch

That would require recabling or at least removing the specific wall port cable from the switch. I don't know how comfortable the poster would be with going into the attic to do this.

That would require recabling or at least removing the specific wall port cable from the switch. I don't know how comfortable the poster would be with going into the attic to do this.

You should not need to make any changes to the wall port, the way it would work is your would copnnect the ont to the wall port via an ethernet cable and then router on the other end, ont would be close to the wall point so wouldnt look to messy

You should not need to make any changes to the wall port, the way it would work is your would copnnect the ont to the wall port via an ethernet cable and then router on the other end, ont would be close to the wall point so wouldnt look to messy

The other end of the wall port is going into a switch though or a patch panel depending how it's cabled.

The other end of the wall port is going into a switch though or a patch panel depending how it's cabled.

Im not away of any switch that would have patch point directly wired so its boubtfull it would be wired into the switch mostly likly a patch panel which could then be connected to the router and the routher to the switch.

Im not away of any switch that would have patch point directly wired so its boubtfull it would be wired into the switch mostly likly a patch panel which could then be connected to the router and the routher to the switch.

Which is why I said the poster would have to go into the attic to move cables about and I was unaware if they were competent enough to do it. I should have said re-terminating rather than re-cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Which is why I said the poster would have to go into the attic to move cables about and I was unaware if they were competent enough to do it. I should have said re-terminating rather than re-cabling.

No reterminating required Navi, not sure what you're getting at.

ONT female Eth port
    Wall wart female Eth port
    Patch in box, join two.

Go to attic
    Locate correct port in patch, pull far end of cable out, pop in router WAN
    Second patch back from router LAN to switch (which is still connected to rest of patch panel)

No crimp tools required, like lego.

ED E wrote: »
    No reterminating required Navi, not sure what you're getting at.

ONT female Eth port
    Wall wart female Eth port
    Patch in box, join two.

Go to attic
    Locate correct port in patch, pull far end of cable out, pop in router WAN
    Second patch back from router LAN to switch (which is still connected to rest of patch panel)

No crimp tools required, like lego.

First of all you assume there's a patch panel. Then you assume it's labelled correctly, then you assume someone who asked the question about how to get this working in the first place has the faintest idea how any of this works and is comfortable going into an attic to rearrange cabling they did not install.

I agree I should not have said re-terminating or re-cabling, that was confusing. My point was trying to avoid the poster having to go into the attic at all.

First of all you assume there's a patch panel. Then you assume it's labelled correctly, then you assume someone who asked the question about how to get this working in the first place has the faintest idea how any of this works and is comfortable going into an attic to rearrange cabling they did not install.

I agree I should not have said re-terminating or re-cabling, that was confusing. My point was trying to avoid the poster having to go into the attic at all.

Thanks for the replies all.

I have a patch panel (should have mentioned this earlier) that is labelled correctly. If it is just a matter of connecting the patch panel port to a router located upstairs that is better again.

Can existing phone number be kept if switching to siro ?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Yes it can

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That depends on the provider.

Your phone line has nothing to do with the SIRO infrastructure. If your SIRO provider offers a phone service, then they can port your number after your SIRO connection is brought in.

That should be no problem.

/M

Digiweb wrote: »
    Yes it can

Even if it were a non digiweb product?

Even if it were a non digiweb product?

Yes, just need to complete a porting request and your existing phone number can be ported from your old provider to new provider

Yes, just need to complete a porting request and your existing phone number can be ported from your old provider to new provider

Do you have any special offers for Boards members?

Do you have any special offers for Boards members?

Afraid we can't promoto our services/pricing on boards.ie (forum rules) just answer queries :)

Afraid we can't promoto our services/pricing on boards.ie (forum rules) just answer queries :)

Ok Can you PM me any specials that you maybe able to offer please?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So Siro work has been undertaken at the entrance to my estate and as far as I can ascertain, it consisted of a Siro manhole/duct cover installed in front of the 1st ESB mini pillar on my estate.
    Does anyone know what way the work usually proceeds from here?
    Is it an incremental install to each mini pillar and the houses they serve?
    Or is that install akin to a primary node with each pillar served below that one cascaded and accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

banie01 wrote: »
    So Siro work has been undertaken at the entrance to my estate and as far as I can ascertain, it consisted of a Siro manhole/duct cover installed in front of the 1st ESB mini pillar on my estate.
    Does anyone know what way the work usually proceeds from here?
    Is it an incremental install to each mini pillar and the houses they serve?
    Or is that install akin to a primary node with each pillar served below that one cascaded and accessible?

For me, they dug up outside every house (cables are underground) and this took about two days. With the exception of my house. My house is next to an electrical sub station and when they were digging the cut the power to the estate and 3 adjoining estates by mistake. They had to do extra digging outside my house but they put everything back in mint condition. Few days later different people came around the estate to fix the grass and put down new grass seed.

I just ordered it and I’ve a question
    “After your contract you will be automatically switched to 150Mbps” I wonder what’s involved to stay on 1000, another 18 month contract?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    I just ordered it and I’ve a question
    “After your contract you will be automatically switched to 150Mbps” I wonder what’s involved to stay on 1000, another 18 month contract?

It depends on the ISP. Smaller, friendlier ISPs tend not to try to lock you into long contracts at every turn.

Advertisement