Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cunnijo wrote: »
    Was due to have SIRO installed today (A week after ordering from Digiweb). Got the call confirming Friday morning. However I received another call on Friday evening cancelling it. The reason given being that a line engineer has to carry out work on the connection on the overhead line outside my home.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so how long was the wait before you were finally up and running?

That's normal enough. If it's an overhead installation, then SIRO have to engage ESB networks to do the initial work and fibre span from the ESB pole. Generally, it can take up to a month to get connected in case of an overhead span, but thats because only ESB networks certified linesmen are allowed to go near the ESB poles.

You can be sure though, that they get the job done and will be in touch.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peter P.

After 8 years living in the area with ****ty BB providers over the landline in Navan, we finally got proper BB from Siro, after 3 days of enjoying 1k megs conbection, our landlord told us we have to move out :( as he is selling the House

Now I'm wondering, can Siro be installed in the apartments as well?

Peter P. wrote: »

sure can

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Peter P. wrote: »
    After 8 years living in the area with ****ty BB providers over the landline in Navan, we finally got proper BB from Siro, after 3 days of enjoying 1k megs conbection, our landlord told us we have to move out :( as he is selling the House

It would depend on whether the apartment that you are moving to is covered. Check the address on www.siro.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

How is someone in a contract fixed if this happens and Siro does not provide service in the new location?

Is there anything to protect the user from being chased for the balance of the contract?

• Advertisement

How is someone in a contract fixed if this happens and Siro does not provide service in the new location?

Is there anything to protect the user from being chased for the balance of the contract?

No, there isn't. You shouldn't be entering a long contract, if you don't know how long (or short) you're staying in a place.

Or pick a provider that can offer you service on multiple networks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    No, there isn't.

That is what I thought.
    Not something a new customer would have at the forefront of their minds when signing up for FTTH.
    You shouldn't be entering a long contract, if you don't know how long (or short) you're staying in a place.

Or pick a provider that can offer you service on multiple networks.

/M

The above is so so wrong that I will refrain from commenting.

The above is so so wrong that I will refrain from commenting.

Why is that? You sign a contract, that means you will have to honor that contract.

If you for example only have a 12 months lease with no option to renew said lease, then it would be foolish to enter a 18 months contract with a provider, that only can service you on that one platform.

It's either that or pay the penalty for breaking the contract. Some providers will offer you to give you a discounted rate for the remainder of the contract, but for example Vodafone will not. It's the full price, no matter if you can't get service at the new place. Been there, done that.

On the other hand Eir retail will throw you into a new contract the second you move house and tie you down even longer.

Other providers may be more flexible or offer shorter contracts.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I was just wondering if anyone's familiar with the speed of rollout?
    Our area in Cork City was surveyed last week. They checked all the ducts and seemed to be checking poles and so on and the trees were also pruned back a week or so earlier.

There were guys in Siro and Huawei branded vans out at 7:30am surveying ducts.

Does anyone have any idea if they typically progress rapidly with rollout, or is this likely to take months and months to complete?

It looks to me like they're going to be doing a pretty extensive rollout on Cork's Northside. I know there were official mention of Hollyhill area and some roads were closed for surveys around the NW of the city, but this surveying was going on in the Northeast of the City Centre, several km away from that.

It looks like they're working in Hollyhill, some area of Blackpool as well as Montenotte / Tivoli.

So perhaps they're going to be rolling out quite a lot of urban fibre rather quickly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭ec18

if the siro website says that your area is planned, what is the likely timeline? 12 months or less?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I just don't want to go into another VDSL / FTTC contract with Eir as we are maxing out at about 38mbit/s due to being fairly far from the cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I just don't want to go into another VDSL / FTTC contract with Eir as we are maxing out at about 38mbit/s due to being fairly far from the cabinet.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108108307&postcount=5229

I don't have an exact timeframe for you but I would imagine several months until it goes live in your area if they are only at the surveying stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Anyone have an issue with the fibre cable not fitting into the electricity meter box and a "Civils Team" has to dig and locate the cable in the ground. Just curious how many days I'll have to wait.

RHJ wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue with the fibre cable not fitting into the electricity meter box and a "Civils Team" has to dig and locate the cable in the ground. Just curious how many days I'll have to wait.

Depends on how extensive the work is.

Sometimes days, sometimes a month. In very extreme cases more. The important thing is, they actually get the job done. And they do that.

Talk to your provider. They are the only ones, that can tell you where it's at.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Technique

RHJ wrote: »

It took around 2 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Just to follow up on a post I posted a month ago on the speeds of the HG659. I couldn't get more than 150mb on 5Ghz WiFi.

I still have the HG659 but a friend received the gigabox from Vodafone. I took it home and connected it up. See the screenshot for the speeds.

With the gigabox I'm getting very consistent speed around the house and coverage is good too. I got on the phone to Vodafone again and hoping they call me back this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Just spotted this from a few days ago. Probably known on this thread already.

Hi all,

Great news!

We are now looking for a small number of customers who currently have FTTH with other providers to transfer their services across to Sky. We have some really good deals on offer, so if you are interested please send a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your name and contact details.:D

Thanks,

Lynn

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Anyone gone over the Vodafone 1TB fair usage? Did u get charged? thanks

meathman0 wrote: »
    Anyone gone over the Vodafone 1TB fair usage? Did u get charged? thanks

Vodafones fair usage does not call for more money. They will suspend or cancel your connection, if they deem so.

But only after the 2nd warning.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Technique wrote: »
    It took around 2 weeks for me.

I had my initial call out this Tuesday (Limerick) to install the fiber but the advance team noticed a blockage under the driveway. I signed a consent form, emailed it in and the civils crew were in there this morning to clear it out. Hopefully they were successful. Response time varies from place to place and depending how busy they are I'd say. I know there has been a huge take up in our estate so the crews are readily available at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Doodie123

Marlow wrote: »
    That's normal enough. If it's an overhead installation, then SIRO have to engage ESB networks to do the initial work and fibre span from the ESB pole. Generally, it can take up to a month to get connected in case of an overhead span, but thats because only ESB networks certified linesmen are allowed to go near the ESB poles.

/M

I'm on a spur (dead end) - about 2 poles away from the main line (~200M or so). the KN engineers ran the fiber under the main line about a week ago, and i made sure that they put a 'junction' on the pole for my house.

Since i'm already on FTTC with Vodafone (16/2mb), the KN engineer said that a really thinner fiber cable (bootlace diameter) would be run up to my premises, and that I wouldn't be charged extra as i'm already with VF.

Is that accurate?

Also, my premises wasn't marked on his survey map, so it's a good thing I doublechecked with the dude as they originally had no plans to put a junction on the pole.

Doodie123 wrote: »
    Since i'm already on FTTC with Vodafone (16/2mb), the KN engineer said that a really thinner fiber cable (bootlace diameter) would be run up to my premises, and that I wouldn't be charged extra as i'm already with VF.

Is that accurate?

It has nothing to do being with Vodafone or not. SIRO will complete the entire build to your house as part of the installation at no extra charge to you. It's not like with other networks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

Do you know why the cable has to go into the meter box? I know they need power but must it come from the meter box. Thanks.

thehamok wrote: »
    Do you know why the cable has to go into the meter box? I know they need power but must it come from the meter box. Thanks.

Power has nothing to do with it.

If the cable is brought in underground, it's ESBs ducting that is used. That's why it comes through the meter box.

If the cable is brought in overhead, it is brought in completely independant and doesn't go through the meter box at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is there an actual rollout map or schedule of works for SIRO installs?
    The EirCode validator is fine for available/Not available but just curious as to anything that might give expected timeframes?

banie01 wrote: »
    Is there an actual rollout map or schedule of works for SIRO installs?
    The EirCode validator is fine for available/Not available but just curious as to anything that might give expected timeframes?

No. SIRO only gives operators the date for the passed premises, once they are passed and ready for connection.

There used to be maps with the outline of the planned coverage on the SIRO website, but they have removed them. They probably got too many requests for places they could not cover.

Also, each operator/provider only gets a list of the passed premises for the areas where they are present. So if you for example check on Airwire's product check, you won't get results for Drogheda, Dundalk, Letterkenny etc.

/M

Thanks Marlow.
    Common sense would say that as Siro have already installed overhead trunking passing my estate that is should come soon.
    I'm not expecting Eir to roll fibre out around here until the rural FTTH programme is complete.
    But I've learned common sense has little to do with roll out plans ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks Marlow.
    Common sense would say that as Siro have already installed overhead trunking passing my estate that is should come soon.
    I'm not expecting Eir to roll fibre out around here until the rural FTTH programme is complete.
    But I've learned common sense has little to do with roll out plans ;)

I managed to speak with a couple of the contractors working on the footpaths in my estate this morning.
    They confirmed they are doing the work for SIRO.
    Hopefully it wont be too long until they work their way down to me(At the very end of the estate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi guys
    Can anyone tell me
    1 - how long it took from requesting this service to getting it installed. Is there a long waiting period etc (fiber cable is already in the meter box)
    2 - The ont box that’s fitted, Is there a new singular box that’s installed now inside the house. I saw a picture here that showed two boxes, one with the fiber cable then going into the ont box. However the videos online from Vodafone show just one tider box in a cradle
    Old one is Like this

https://imagestack.deceifermedia.com/images/1/20170919_115115.jpg

Thanks

Advertisement