Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also, bear in mind that the current Gbit pricing on SIRO is promotional.

It may be a different price in 18 months.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Thanks guys
    Yeah referring to Vodafone. Interesting to see what happens in 18months I guess

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    “After your contract you will be automatically switched to 150Mbps” I wonder what’s involved to stay on 1000, another 18 month contract?

Cheers

No as far as I know the sweet sweet SIRO price right now is an 18 month promotion and 1000mb internet will return to normal pricing after. So 150mb is probably where they think you'll need to be to not pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Vodafone are now offering 12 month contract if you order online for Siro 1000 Mbps €25.00 for 6 months

Online exclusive 12 month contract*
    18 months apply if you don't buy online or by Live Chat

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

So digiweb 1000mb is 10 per month for 2 months and then 55 per month after.
    12 month's contract.

I asked the sales agent yesterday would the price go up after a year.
    He actually said it would decrease as "a thank you for staying with us for another year"

How believable is this? Anyone heard the same ?

• Advertisement

I have pre ordered with Digiweb the 1000 Mbps Siro promo deal
    I was told will be end of the month to be installed

I'm just waiting on them to call back with an install date

I already have a good Asus AC wireless router I been using with Virgin Media broadband which is in modem mode but will test out the Fritz Box 4040 to see if I will use this instead when I get the instal done but I will likely stick with my own router.

I don't need phone so I just went with broadband only

No as far as I know the sweet sweet SIRO price right now is an 18 month promotion and 1000mb internet will return to normal pricing after..

Any idea what the normal price was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

So digiweb 1000mb is 10 per month for 2 months and then 55 per month after.
    12 month's contract.

I asked the sales agent yesterday would the price go up after a year.
    He actually said it would decrease as "a thank you for staying with us for another year"

How believable is this? Anyone heard the same ?

I asked them if they'd waive the €49 installation fee as they are €109 more expensive that Vodafone for 1st 12 months. There was no budging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭banie01

paulboland wrote: »
    I have pre ordered with Digiweb the 1000 Mbps Siro promo deal
    I was told will be end of the month to be installed

I'm just waiting on them to call back with an install date

I already have a good Asus AC wireless router I been using with Virgin broadband but will test out the Fritz Box 4040 to see if I will use this instead when I get the instal done but I will likely stick with my own router.

I don't need phone so I just went with broadband only

I use an Asus AC router myself and recently got a fritzbox from Digiweb.
    TBH, I can't see what everyone raves about.
    Yes it's a decent modem that offers plenty of config options out of the box, but WiFi isn't on par with what I'm currently using and the Asus interface and network management is much more polished.
    I'm thinking that as usually ISP supplied routers are POS that a half decent router supplied as standard seems great to many?
    Mine is being bridged and leave my network management to my Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow on here has a hard on for them but they trade Wifi perf for configurability. More a nerds router than good for the masses.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    I use an Asus AC router myself and recently got a fritzbox from Digiweb.
    TBH, I can't see what everyone raves about.
    Yes it's a decent modem that offers plenty of config options out of the box, but WiFi isn't on par with what I'm currently using and the Asus interface and network management is much more polished.
    I'm thinking that as usually ISP supplied routers are POS that a half decent router supplied as standard seems great to many?
    Mine is being bridged and leave my network management to my Asus.

You don't need to bridge the fritz box with Siro
    Your ONT is the modem you just need to setup ASUS Router using PPPoe connection using the Digiweb username and password
    You need VLAN ID to 10
    To set VLAN ID to 10 in Asus Router go to LAN section : IPTV
    Lan Port : ISP Profile : Manual setting
    Internet VID 10 - Prio 0
    Apply and reboot

ELECTRIC BROADBAND SETTINGS:
    • Connection type = PPPoE
    • Username = digiweb@siro.digiweb.ie
    • Password = digiweb
    • VLAN ID = 10

You don't need to bridge the fritz box with Siro
    Your ONT is the modem you just need to setup ASUS Router using PPPoe connection using the Digiweb username and password
    You need VLAN ID to 10
    To set VLAN ID to 10 in Asus Router go to LAN section : IPTV
    Lan Port : ISP Profile : Manual setting
    Internet VID 10 - Prio 0
    Apply and reboot

ELECTRIC BROADBAND SETTINGS:
    • Connection type = PPPoE
    • Username = digiweb@siro.digiweb.ie
    • Password = digiweb
    • VLAN ID = 10

Don't have Siro yet :(
    So using it on an FTTC at the moment.

ED E wrote: »
    More a nerds router than good for the masses.

The only thing it has that I'd miss on an alternative router is the telephony options.
    Other than that my Asus is to my mind at least a better router and particularly wrt wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Any idea what the normal price was?

Vodafone were charging €90 per month. Expect prices to be in the €80 - €90 range.

Prices rises are possible as they happen with most ISP providers every year
    But I don't think the prices will go back to €90 IMO after 12 or 18 months

The more customers connected to siro I expect we will see prices deals been offered by various ISP
    I hope I'm not wrong but if that happens I will just change provider when my contract ends and choose another deal been offered by other ISP

The more customers connected to siro I expect we will see prices deals been offered by various ISP
    I hope I'm not wrong but if that happens I will just change provider when my contract ends and choose another deal been offered by other ISP

Exactly,90 for 1Gbps is a bit steep I’d sooner just leave it at 150Mbps
    I was in virgins 240 package and that was more than plenty. Only moving to Siro because virgin upped their price again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

This would not be a traditional price rise though. You are getting a heavily discounted promotional price. It is more akin to the eir FTTH bundle offers for new customers. A huge leap after the period ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I agree, at most they should be allowed to call it "fibre to cabinet". It's absolutely

Virgin's also running ads about "Ireland's fastest broadband". It's not, as any of the FTTH products beat them hands down with Gigabit connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Sick of the VM price hikes and inconsistent service. One issue we have is that the modem they provide is in our sitting room and tgat gives us zero coverage upstairs. They refused to put it anywhere else when installing.

Siro is currently available for my house.
    How do I decide between Vodafone and Digiweb? What package? And what should I look for to solve my coverage issue?

I really only use Wi-Fi for Netflix in living room and Wi-Fi on my phone (which I have to turn off upstairs due to poor signal). But my son is an avid gamer and is constantly complaining about the speed and stability of our current internet.

And advice greatly appreciated, I'm lost with the technical side.

Your regular price increases are done by the retail provider.

The current SIRO promotion was instigated by SIRO by heavily slashing the wholesale price for the Gbit package. It also came with requirements.

Also .. not all providers were charging 90 EUR for Gbit/s. Even on OpenEIR, you can find cheaper than that.

But the current pricing is not sustainable to the providers, once the promotion ends and the wholesale pricing goes up again.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I agree, at most they should be allowed to call it "fibre to cabinet". It's absolutely

Virgin's also running ads about "Ireland's fastest broadband". It's not, as any of the FTTH products beat them hands down with Gigabit connectivity.

Correct, those ads are very much out of date. I suppose one complaint to ASA would do it, but who can be arsed.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Correct, those ads are very much out of date. I suppose one complaint to ASA would do it, but who can be arsed.

No. It doesn't. I've (and others) have approached the ASAI in regards to Eir calling VDSL eFibre and other providers advertising their products are fibre speed etc.

They don't give a toss. They've got smaller fish to fry .. it's easier.

/M

Marlow on here has a hard on for them but they trade Wifi perf for configurability. More a nerds router than good for the masses.

Interesting - the Fritz is usually held on a pedestal and I'm told it's a fine, fine (if odd-looking) piece of kit. First one I encountered was in the penthouse apartment of the lady (von .de) who was in Ireland to get LIDL up and running, at the time. I thought the name of the thing was hilarious, but they've become very well respected.

I always thought that internal patch antennae in a consumer router can't be as good as omni/whips externally.

Currently using TP-Link* Archer C60 at home and it's got unreal 2.4 and even 5GHz coverage throughout the gaff. Bonus - you could play "rings" with the antennae.

* yes, I know, I work in the industry but I'm not a "kit" guy at home. Have/had enough of it in work

Haha .. I like them alright. I've had every single model since the very first ones. Did you know, that the first Fritz!Box was a custom order for AOL ... (either them or Compuserve). Oddball manufacturer for the yanks.

Marx Computers in North Dublin used the only place that imported and sold them in Ireland. It's only in the last 2 years, that there now is a distributor for them here.

In Germany, they have 70% market share, I believe, on the routers, that are used. Only telco, that doesn't use them is German Telekom.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Sick of the VM price hikes and inconsistent service. One issue we have is that the modem they provide is in our sitting room and tgat gives us zero coverage upstairs. They refused to put it anywhere else when installing.

Siro is currently available for my house.
    How do I decide between Vodafone and Digiweb? What package? And what should I look for to solve my coverage issue?

I really only use Wi-Fi for Netflix in living room and Wi-Fi on my phone (which I have to turn off upstairs due to poor signal). But my son is an avid gamer and is constantly complaining about the speed and stability of our current internet.

And advice greatly appreciated, I'm lost with the technical side.

Home plugs for better WiFi and wired connection for Xbox/ps4

naughto wrote: »
    Home plugs for better WiFi and wired connection for Xbox/ps4

Homeplugs are evil und unreliable. Just run a network cable and use a mesh capable router each end. The cable actually costs a lot less. Homeplugs are for lazy people.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Homeplugs are evil und unreliable. Just run a network cable and use a mesh capable router each end. The cable actually costs a lot less. Homeplugs are for lazy people.

/M

From a regional provider point of view (cares), homeplugs are difficult, because they are hit and miss, dependent on wiring (environment) that they can't control, so customers will leave bad reviews about the service to the house, when there are internal problems.

Biggest operators - they just don't care at all about anything, so they will just scream "demarc".

But I have used Homeplugs myself in rented places over the years with success. As longs as you know that it is a shortcut which may bite you. And of course, if it did, I could ping the router and know it's the LAN.

And you are right - can't beat a bit of wire. No software, no variables, just physics.

If it moves, wireless. If it doesn't, wired. Good rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir/VF cheaping out and using them, I understand it.

Sky doing so, as the premium TV provider, was surprising but apparently thats discontinued now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

9726_9726 wrote: »

Well, SIRO or OpenEir might as they both offer FTTH.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    OpenEir might as they **** offer FTTH.

No, they won't. Because it'll directly hurt Eir retail also setting a precedent. They're as much at fault there.

/M

Advertisement