Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

What area are you in?

TLI were surveying in Glounthaune in the past few weeks, my fingers and toes are crossed we are included in the rollout..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

ED E wrote: »
    Which TP? Which package?

It may not be fast enough.

I've the Archer C7. It was working great with VM,I was getting full 240 mb speeds on wired devices and 150 or so on WiFi so it should be fine for up to 1000 now with Siro

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Double C wrote: »
    I've the Archer C7. It was working great with VM,I was getting full 240 mb speeds on wired devices and 150 or so on WiFi so it should be fine for up to 1000 now with Siro

Not necessarily. A lot of routers don't have the CPU power to utilize 1000 Mbit/s.

Airwire even classified the Mikrotik routers they offer based on what they can handle: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro . Once firewalling etc. comes into the mix, it really drags the speed down.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Double C wrote: »

That'll do 800Mb with NAT boost on disabling some features or 400Mb with NAT boost off. If you're paying for 1G (about 960Mb) then 400Mb would disappoint most.

It'll work though. IPTV settings, VID 10, then connect to the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Telecoms group Siro appoints new chief executive

The switch is part of an agreement between the ESB and Vodafone, whereby one person from each company assumes the role of chief executive every four years.

Mr Keaney said Siro’s network had now passed 200,000 homes and was “already having a positive impact on the lives of people in the 30 towns where our services are live.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/telecoms-group-siro-appoints-new-chief-executive-1.3689647

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

BArra wrote: »
    What area are you in?

TLI were surveying in Glounthaune in the past few weeks, my fingers and toes are crossed we are included in the rollout..

Closer to the city centre and north of the river. We had Huawei out for several days kicking off quite early in the morning surveying all the ducts and overhead lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    That'll do 800Mb with NAT boost on disabling some features or 400Mb with NAT boost off. If you're paying for 1G (about 960Mb) then 400Mb would disappoint most.

It'll work though. IPTV settings, VID 10, then connect to the ONT.

What is the best consumer grade router to buy that will work with FTTH in Ireland but also allow you to get as close to the 1gb throughput as possible?

Something with really good WiFi coverage and throughput would also be required. I've got a Netgear R7000 but it's nlgot very slow throughout on the WAN connection for my 1Gb connection. I'm connecting it to the Huawei router to bypass the WAN throughput problem.

Will look at picking up something on Black Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

digiman wrote: »
    What is the best consumer grade router to buy that will work with FTTH in Ireland but also allow you to get as close to the 1gb throughput as possible?

Something with really good WiFi coverage and throughput would also be required. I've got a Netgear R7000 but it's nlgot very slow throughout on the WAN connection for my 1Gb connection. I'm connecting it to the Huawei router to bypass the WAN throughput problem.

I'd be tempted to stick with the supplied router and use Ubiquiti access point(s)for the wireless. You can add more access points if needed whereas with a new router it is still only one device.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah I'd probably say if you've maybe €150 to spend then small home should get the better features of a strong single unit and big homes should buy some APs.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

digiman wrote: »

I dumped the HG659 as it couldn't cope with all the connected devices and got an ASUS RT-AC3200. Can't fault it ... I've a standard Semi D house and get good coverage around the house and back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

The first shipment of Fritz!Box 7530 has arrived.

45782376981_5075fbeef1_c.jpg

Left to right: 7530, 7560, 7590.

They are basically the same router as the 7560, but with supervectoring 35b (not needed for SIRO) and in the new case. They are also slightly smaller than the 7560.

We will be testing these in the next week and they will then replace the 7430, 4040 and 7560 once stocks are gone. We can offer these at the same price level as the 7430 and 4040.

Pending performance tests, we may still keep the 7560 for Gbit/s FTTH around for a while.

Just a sneak peak, of what is coming. And yes, they can also be got in black. It's a special order, but we will be stocking a few black ones.

Technical specifications: https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Closer to the city centre and north of the river. We had Huawei out for several days kicking off quite early in the morning surveying all the ducts and overhead lines.

As someone who lives close to the city centre & north of the river, this is good news as I'd quite like to ditch VM and their continual price hikes. Any idea who'll be offering the SIRO service in Cork, will it just be Vodafone?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

opus wrote: »
    As someone who lives close to the city centre & north of the river, this is good news as I'd quite like to ditch VM and their continual price hikes. Any idea who'll be offering the SIRO service in Cork, will it just be Vodafone?

Digiweb will be offering Siro services in all parts of Cork once it's live. At present we are live in Carrigaline & Mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Siro have been building their network out in Balbriggan again. A lot of polls carrying fibre now. Am hopeful it may reach people I know with really woeful Vdsl connections. One house has 25m/bit, the other is 15-16m/bit. Those lines have been very flakey over the years, lots of down time every year. Now that it looks like Eir aren't proceeding with further copper enhancements Siro maybe their only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnboy316

Anyone know how often SIRO update their address database?
    Have had an eircode the last two months but upon checking their address checker my address (which is within an estate) is not showing on their dropdown but I note houses on different roads within the estate are showing up and are projected to receive SIRO within the next 6 months

Johnboy316 wrote: »
    Anyone know how often SIRO update their address database?
    Have had an eircode the last two months but upon checking their address checker my address (which is within an estate) is not showing on their dropdown but I note houses on different roads within the estate are showing up and are projected to receive SIRO within the next 6 months

The SIRO database is passed to the partners once a month. In the case of some extensive builds, we also get an update mid month sometimes, but not very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnboy316

Hi Martin,

Cheers for the quick response. Is that solely showing all new addresses at which SIRO is available?

Johnboy316 wrote: »
    Is that solely showing all new addresses at which SIRO is available?

We get a full database for all premises they have passed within the interconnects that we service.

There is no data available about premises, that are going to be passed in the future until they are actually live and ready for connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I ordered SIRO on the 1st October last and to date it has not been installed. My feed has to come from an overhead power line down a pole and through ducting to my ESB box. Actavo have been to my home twice but their crews could not complete the work because a line engineer from the ESB is the only person that can feed the fibre from the pole to my home.

Has anyone else experienced this. If so how long did it take to finally get it installed?

cunnijo wrote: »
    I ordered SIRO on the 1st October last and to date it has not been installed. My feed has to come from an overhead power line down a pole and through ducting to my ESB box. Actavo have been to my home twice but their crews could not complete the work because a line engineer from the ESB is the only person that can feed the fibre from the pole to my home.

Has anyone else experienced this. If so how long did it take to finally get it installed?

Originally, it was to be within a month. But with the massive uptake that SIRO has had, I've seen a good few installations that have taken longer. It also depends on what exactly the issue is.

Which SIRO partner did you order with ? Have you spoken to them ?

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Any news on extending the gig offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Marlow wrote: »
    Originally, it was to be within a month. But with the massive uptake that SIRO has had, I've seen a good few installations that have taken longer. It also depends on what exactly the issue is.

/M

Marlow. I ordered from Digiweb, as I have their Metro wireless service. So it was an upgrade. I have contacted them about this issue (including today after Actave's second unsuccessful visit) and only on 1 occasion did a customer service rep come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Spotted TLI activity in carrigtwohill, cork, entrance near cul ard estate past the church today, they had a manhole opened up and a machine that looked like it would be feeding fiber, a mucky day for it

We are happy to announce, that the SIRO promotion has been extended to 31. March 2019 ...

More information here: http://www.airwire.ie/products/

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

TheDriver wrote: »
    Any news on extending the gig offer?

We just got word that it's being extended to the end of March 2019.

edit: snap! Martin types faster than I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Same for me - ordered on the 8th of October and now on my forth install date. Originally was to be the 15th of October, then moved to 29th of October, Then moved to 9th of November and now saying 30th of November.

It is a bit frustrating as I am running out of time as my current contract will end shortly.

I am with Digiweb and in fairness they are helpful but i think they are at the mercy of SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

It's worth bearing in mind that "Castlebar" in SIRO-speak means "Castlebar and Westport".

Hi Paul. Have the Siro deployments in Castlebar finished up? Not seen much activity around the town recently (and sadly, the paint marking the electrical ducting around Rosslee have faded away now, oh well, it briefly gave us hope that something might happen:( )

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Hi Paul. Have the Siro deployments in Castlebar finished up? Not seen much activity around the town recently (and sadly, the paint marking the electrical ducting around Rosslee have faded away now, oh well, it briefly gave us hope that something might happen:( )

The honest answer is that I don't know. I'm not sure that they've ever set a hard limit on how much they'll build in a given town.

Rosslee looks to be one of those estates that's "ducted, not vaulted" - there are no chambers in front of the ESB mini-pillars, so there nowhere to put the ODPs. That would suggest either some fairly major civils required, or waiting for them to come up with a different way of building in tricky estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I decided sign my parents up to Vodafone Gigabit Broadband with the online deal. I asked for today to be the installation date but on Tuesday I get a call off my father to tell me that two guys showed up to take the cable from the ESB pole to the house but they disappeared shortly after arriving.

The yesterday he gets a call saying they won't be calling around today as they need to apply to the ESB to take the line across to the house which can take 30 days.

So not great hearing all this second hand so I decided to ring up Vodafone but they didn't know anything as there was no notes in the system yet.

When I login to my account I get this
    Your Appointment
    Unfortunately your installation cannot be completed as scheduled due to technical difficulties. An agent will contact you directly to reschedule your appointment. In the meantime if you wish to contact us please dial Freefone 1907 for further information, we apologise for the inconvenience.

So I opened up chat and asked them for the notes they have online and this is what they have.
    Esbn required to span from odp pole AG648 to pole AG653 as odp pole is a scantrepo pole

Now I don't know what any of them terms means but I'm guessing the SIRO pole is too far away from the house and they are looking to take it to the closest pole beside the house?

Will it actually take 30 days for ESB to do that?

I've already cancelled the Virgin BB which will end on the 4th of Dec. Is it possible for me to ask them to extend it for one more week?

• Advertisement

not1but4 wrote: »
    The yesterday he gets a call saying they won't be calling around today as they need to apply to the ESB to take the line across to the house which can take 30 days.

SIRO have prebuild teams, so that would have been one and that's why they were there ahead of the date. Had everything been spot on, your parents would have been connected today.

And yes, overhead line work has to be done by ESB networks (and ESB networks only) and there is a commitment to get this done within 30 days, but it often unfortunately takes that long.

This only happens, when the premise gets connected from an overhead span. Very unfortunate, but it's normal procedure. There are a lot of rules, regulations and safety concerns, when it comes to working with overhead power lines.

/M

Advertisement