Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kleefarr wrote: »
    When you think about it, 6x100 plus 1x300 connections to powerline adapters with 5/6ms pings and good connections = 900mb/s. I know it's not all being used at same time, but I'm happy with it anyway until I get cabling installed.

Its a mesh. You can never add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    Its a mesh. You can never add them.

Jup. You take the adapter at the router, then take at least 25% of the speed it's capable off (not the raw speed. The actual speed) and that's what you have then.

That speed or the speed of the adapter at your end, whichever is the lowest, is what you end up with.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Just got this installed
    Removed the Vodafone modem and plugged in my archer c8 selected ppoe
    Gave the serial number of the Vodafone modem as the username and any password as previously mentioned, but it’s not connecting to the internet
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Just got this installed
    Gave the serial number of the Vodafone modem as the username and any password as previously mentioned, but it’s not connecting to the internet
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

You also need to specify Vlan 10, if your router is capable of Vlan tagging on the WAN interface.

If it's not, then you can't use that router.

/M

Just got this installed
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Screenshot in a sec for ya.

• Advertisement

xjhk3yx.png

Screenshot in a sec for ya.

You’re grand thanks a million to both of you
    I found the vlan option.
    In business now

What are ya drinking lads? I owe ya a pint

Thanks again for that
    Speeds on the archer c8 vs the Vodafone are different
    I’m getting 930 wired and 430 wireless on the Vodafone modem but half that on the archer.
    Did you have to change anything else ?

Thanks again for that
    Speeds on the archer c8 vs the Vodafone are different
    I’m getting 930 wired and 430 wireless on the Vodafone modem but half that on the archer.
    Did you have to change anything else ?

No. Chances are, that it doesn't have enough CPU power to pass more traffic. That's why the providers are quite specific with what routers they provide.

/M

Didn't cop you'd gone gigabit. You need a better router so.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32530-tp-link-archer-c8-ac1750-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

Turning NAT boost on will double your rates roughly but it turns off features like traffic stats to do it.

• Advertisement

Thanks again
    Tested with my Ubuntu laptop and getting 930 on both modems wired which is great.
    Tried 3 windows 10 machines wired into both modems (at separate times) and always around the 4 or 500 mark.
    Which is interesting

Anyway delighted with the setup and thanks for all the useful posts here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Got it installed yesterday and am loving it, Netflix shows even when using a VPN load almost straight away in full HD and the same with Prime Video.

Currently just using WiFi which gives me just under 300 megabits per second in the same room as the modem.

Can anyone recommend some good quality cat6 cable so I can make sure I get the maximum speed out of my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So my Town (Swords) has Siro but it does not look like my estate has Siro, is there a way for me to find out, if there will be Siro at my estate any time in future?

The online checker only tells me that it's not available at my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I wouldn't be in any rush.
    Had Siro installed 12 days ago. No phone since install, speeds dropped to 300mb/s debating about legal start if 14 day cool off period as haven't had a fit for use service since install.
    Couldn't get installed where we wanted. We are under ground supplied. I hear over head is more problematic, but would love to hear peoples experiences.

kleefarr wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in any rush.
    Had Siro installed 12 days ago. No phone since install, speeds dropped to 300mb/s debating about legal start if 14 day cool off period as haven't had a fit for use service since install.
    Couldn't get installed where we wanted. We are under ground supplied. I hear over head is more problematic, but would love to hear peoples experiences.

Don't blame SIRO. Please specify which provider !

You can't just brush all SIRO providers over with one brush. There's 8 different SIRO partners. Everyone goes different about their business, network and customer service. SIRO only delivers the last mile. The bit to your doorstep. Not your internet, not your phone and not your TV service.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

So my Town (Swords) has Siro but it does not look like my estate has Siro, is there a way for me to find out, if there will be Siro at my estate any time in future?

The online checker only tells me that it's not available at my address.
    There should be obvious work going on in the estate as SIRO sorts out ducking below pavements and at electricity junction boxes. And, then it should be available 6 to 9 months after that. You could also go looking for work crews and ask them about your estate. They are typically friendly but wildly optimistic about availability dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

KOR101 wrote: »
    There should be obvious work going on in the estate as SIRO sorts out ducking below pavements and at electricity junction boxes. And, then it should be available 6 to 9 months after that. You could also go looking for work crews and ask them about your estate. They are typically friendly but wildly optimistic about availability dates.

My estate has this and the grate on the path is labelled Siro, i know this as its outside my driveway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Does anybody have siro that isn't living in an estate? I am living outside of a town with around 50 individual houses scattered about a kilometre apart roughly.

TLI were surveying the area and my area isn't on their published rollout but stuck between two other towns which are.

So I am clinging to hope my area will get added but don't see many outside of estates having the service.

Siro also have no map showing where their lines are bringing the fibre..unfortunately

Pipe dream. Theyre deploying in the most commercially viable areas for now and will be at that for a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Technique

I live in a rural area and I've got siro.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I had signed up for Siro updates via email and hadn't got any notification of movement. I checked the Siro website and noticed that Ashbourne in Meath had moved from planned to Coming Soon. I would have thought that was the type of thing the updates should say. Either way, good news for me anyway. I'll be out of contract in December with my current provider and it certainly won't be available before then, but hopefully not more than a few months later.

5starpool wrote: »
    I checked the Siro website and noticed that Ashbourne in Meath had moved from planned to Coming Soon. I would have thought that was the type of thing the updates should say.

No. I think the update you will get is when your Eircode goes live.

/M

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Marlow wrote: »
    No. I think the update you will get is when your Eircode goes live.

/M

Grand, thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that any movement in my area would have been communicated. No biggie anyway as anything before it goes live is only a tease really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Marlow wrote: »
    Don't blame SIRO. Please specify which provider !

You can't just brush all SIRO providers over with one brush. There's 8 different SIRO partners. Everyone goes different about their business, network and customer service. SIRO only delivers the last mile. The bit to your doorstep. Not your internet, not your phone and not your TV service.

/M

Agreed.

Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

Curious to know if anyone has heard any news about SIRO in the Galway area? Looking at the roll-out map it is planned.

There was a scheduled power outage which lasted most of the day in my estate around a month ago. The ESB Networks power outage notice mentioned something like "To facilitate the installation of fibre broadband". I did see some KN / ESB vans on the day in question but as far as I could tell they only replaced some old ESB poles and I have seen no activity since.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

ronan675 wrote: »
    Curious to know if anyone has heard any news about SIRO in the Galway area? Looking at the roll-out map it is planned.

Galway City is currently planned for Q1/2019. We will be ready, when it goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

We had a few outages including a day to put in new poles, pulling wires and connecting things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Is it recommended to use another router with SIRO? I was using a TP Link AC1750 with Virgin Media but I've since switched to SIRO with Digiweb. I've tried setting it up but am unsure what settings I would need to change on the Fritz box. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Double C wrote: »
    Is it recommended to use another router with SIRO? I was using a TP Link AC1750 with Virgin Media but I've since switched to SIRO with Digiweb. I've tried setting it up but am unsure what settings I would need to change on the Fritz box. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Which TP? Which package?

It may not be fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Our area was surveyed by Huawei a few weeks ago. I was just wondering has anyone spotted any of the Cork City build-out starting already and if so, in what areas?

Advertisement