Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

The most common cause of shin splints is from increasing your mileage and intensity of your runs. If your doing 3-4 sessions on the bounce I'd say throw in a rest day or really slow run. If your runs are all on hard surfaces try doing one or two sessions a week on grass.
    As Kellygirl suggested, I'd get a physio to take a look at it as I have a friend who suffers from them and it's down to his gait apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

unfortunately I've plenty of experience. Like Kelly said, get yourself into a physio.

Where you based? Great one on Kildare street, who focus on keeping you moving.

Few things I learned for them:
      Get to physio to be shown correct stretching ASAP...as in today Foam roll, focus on area that caused it. more than likely IT band, glutes or even your back Keep moving! Swimming and cycling will help keep your fitness up to a certain extent Don't go to physio who will just give you a rub down, you need to be shown correct ways of stretching

Luckily it's so far out you should be fine. I can DM over some of the stretches physio gave me but I'd highly advise going to one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

unfortunately I've plenty of experience. Like Kelly said, get yourself into a physio.

Where you based? Great one on Kildare street, who focus on keeping you moving.

Few things I learned for them:
      Get to physio to be shown correct stretching ASAP...as in today Foam roll, focus on area that caused it. more than likely IT band, glutes or even your back Keep moving! Swimming and cycling will help keep your fitness up to a certain extent Don't go to physio who will just give you a rub down, you need to be shown correct ways of stretching

Luckily it's so far out you should be fine. I can DM over some of the stretches physio gave me but I'd highly advise going to one yourself.

Sounds like great advice

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

coogy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

not seeking any medical advice or anything but just wondering what the more experienced runners' experiences are with shin splints during their marathon training?
    Was out on a 5 mile run last night and felt it coming on. Quite sore this morning so I'll try to rest up for a couple of days and ease back into it.

Thanks!

+1 on everyone's advice to go to a physio

I've always found that some foam rolling when i feel it coming on helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi folks,

not seeking any medical advice or anything but just wondering what the more experienced runners' experiences are with shin splints during their marathon training?
    Was out on a 5 mile run last night and felt it coming on. Quite sore this morning so I'll try to rest up for a couple of days and ease back into it.

Thanks!

Ironically it was on this very date last year that I got shin splints on a run over in Mayo. Like a lot of people with the seeds of a plan in their minds to try to do DCM I was upping the training too quickly. I had increased pace and mileage together which is never smart. I had total rest for a week, started training smarter and haven't had any trouble since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Strides...bloody hell...��

Strides shouldn't be a full-on 100m sprint, you shouldn't feel wrecked afterwards.

Their goal is to improve your running form. This is important for people training for a marathon, because a lot of long slow miles can mean your run turns into a head down shuffle. Strides are to remind you how you should be running, and help you retain your form when tired.

So -
    five seconds accelerating to a fast pace, but not a full sprint
    focus on staying tall, shoulders relaxed but arms bent and elbows driving back, feet landing beneath you and picking up behind you
    (if that's too much to think about, focus on one in each stride)
    stop accelerating, but hold that speed and form for about ten seconds
    five seconds of controlled deceleration back to a slow jog
    30 seconds of easy jogging, then go again

A common mistake is to push too hard, try to go too fast. What usually happens then is you start tightening up. So the aim is not as fast as you can go, but a fast pace that you can maintain while relaxed. If ten seconds is too long, if you start straining before then, end the stride and go back to the jog.

You'll get out of breath during/after the strides, but only for a few minutes, five minutes later you should feel the same as after an easy run without strides.

Thanks for the heads up Raycun.

Did feel I was trying to run a sprint during a run rather then a controlled relaxed acceleration- will try above next time.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Rossi7 wrote: »
    The most common cause of shin splints is from increasing your mileage and intensity of your runs. If your doing 3-4 sessions on the bounce I'd say throw in a rest day or really slow run. If your runs are all on hard surfaces try doing one or two sessions a week on grass.
    As Kellygirl suggested, I'd get a physio to take a look at it as I have a friend who suffers from them and it's down to his gait apparently

Rossi7, it's funny you should say that because I've been extremely conscious of not overdoing it and following advice by the folks on here, my running pace has decreased over the last couple of weeks by a couple of minutes.
    I always factored in a rest day between runs, thinking it would prevent injury. Even last night, minutes before I felt the first niggle, I tried shortening my strides because I had read about shin splints a few days ago and that was something that was recommended to keep them at bay.
    Anyway, thanks for the advice. Will get to a physio asap, I can't bear the thought of this causing long-term problems.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh no Coogy. Would it worth getting a physio appointment to be sure? You’ll probably need a physio at some stage during training anyway.

Meanwhile make sure any running you do is seriously slow and easy. Pull right back.

Thanks Kellygirl.

There is a physio where I work in Trinity College so I might make an appointment to see them this week.
    Still v sore this morning, even running across the road hurts! Argh!!!:(

anyone not signed up, it's due to be sold out in the coming days

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057874761

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Hi Coogy, yes I did and it was early on in the training last actually after taking part in some shorter races in my local running club made mine worse, I had them on the inside of my legs both sides.

I agree do get checked out by a physio as pain in that area can be caused by something else so it is wise to find out for sure.

Things that worked for me,
    1, Rested for 1 week, I crossed trained instead on my bike
    2, Iced the area, KT tape, compression socks and stretching along with massage
    3, My shin splints were caused by overpronation, so I invested in a good pair of runners suitable for marathon training
    4, I started following the HNN1 plan and rested between runs for the first couple of weeks and slowly I was able to run first 2 days in a row and then the 3-midweek runs in a row ( slowing down was a huge reason I was able to do that)

Thankfully after a weeks rest, I was able to run again and they never came back.
    good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hi Coogy, yes I did and it was early on in the training last actually after taking part in some shorter races in my local running club made mine worse, I had them on the inside of my legs both sides.

I agree do get checked out by a physio as pain in that area can be caused by something else so it is wise to find out for sure.

Things that worked for me,
    1, Rested for 1 week, I crossed trained instead on my bike
    2, Iced the area, KT tape, compression socks and stretching along with massage
    3, My shin splints were caused by overpronation, so I invested in a good pair of runners suitable for marathon training
    4, I started following the HNN1 plan and rested between runs for the first couple of weeks and slowly I was able to run first 2 days in a row and then the 3-midweek runs in a row ( slowing down was a huge reason I was able to do that)

Thankfully after a weeks rest, I was able to run again and they never came back.
    good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

Thanks Baby75,

I will take week off and if I'm still feeling pain next week, it's straight to the physio!
    I know this might sound silly, but I have always had very skinny ankles (much to my wife's jealousy) and I'm wondering has the impact of running exclusively on hard surfaces started to take its toll?
    Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks Baby75,

I will take week off and if I'm still feeling pain next week, it's straight to the physio!
    I know this might sound silly, but I have always had very skinny ankles (much to my wife's jealousy) and I'm wondering has the impact of running exclusively on hard surfaces started to take its toll?
    Just a thought.

https://youtu.be/Z2G5WCJBpps

I suffer from shin splints on and off, I find the second stretch in the clip above great for mine and heel drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I developed shin splints as a kid, aged 20 or so playing GAA. Went to my GP at the time and he advised making sure I have plenty of cushioning for the soles of my feet and so reducing impact.

You could get GAA socks at the time with the thick, cushioned soles, and I also picked up sports socks with as high a cotton content as possible, like 80% cotton. Put on the GAA socks first and then the sports socks over those, trying to maximise the cushion for my feet.

Honestly, it sorted my shin splints immediately, I have never had one single issue with them in the 20 years since. And as an added bonus having the two pairs of socks is actually the same principle involved in those thousand mile socks runners pay big money for, so I've never had blisters as a runner either.

Maybe anecdotal and might not work for everybody, but if you are suffering shin splints it could be worth a try, just get some cushioning into the shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lots of good advice there coogy. Hope you have a quick recovery, let us know how it's going. It's a good time now to iron out any potential issues and hopefully start some habits with respect to stretching and foam rolling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

anyone not signed up, it's due to be sold out in the coming days

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057874761

I hit the panic button today and entered, they say that the third time is a charm.

Oh no........what have I done.......nooooooooo..:eek:

Training starts tonight at the Staff Relay in the Phoenix Park!! around 7,000 people running this (1,400 teams x 5 people). Our third year to run it, great atmosphere at it and one or two lemonades afterwards too ;)

It's so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Was reading through the old novices threads and came across this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99741843#post99741843 might be of interest to some of you who's struggling to grasp the LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks Baby75,

Just a thought.
    Your ankles I doubt are a factor but I am not an expert, so I am only guessing but if you look at runners from Africa they have thin ankles and it doesn't seem to cause them any issues. you never know they could be an advantage :)

I agree on good cushioning to help reduce impact, so will working on correct form when running. S&C could help target a weakness somewhere if that is the cause a good physio if you need one after a week will be able to advise on all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Was reading through the old novices threads and came across this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99741843#post99741843 might be of interest to some of you who's struggling to grasp the LSR

That's a post by Testosterscone who posted here on the same topic. Myles Splitz was a previous username. He's one of the best runners and most knowledgable coaches on here. Pay double attention to anything he says about training and it will be to all your benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Signed up yesterday. Will be my first time running it and second marathon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

First time marathon attempt. Help! Did my first half last year. Second one coming up in 4 wks. Struggling to find plan that suits my run days already. I've running club on Mon and Thurs do 7/8 k and lsd on fri which is up to 15k at the moment. Looking to find something that includes those days and work from there. Really excited to be part of a bigger group to 'use' expertise and knowledge when it comes to gels, hitting the wall and everything else in between

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Helenasca wrote: »
    First time marathon attempt. Help! Did my first half last year. Second one coming up in 4 wks. Struggling to find plan that suits my run days already. I've running club on Mon and Thurs do 7/8 k and lsd on fri which is up to 15k at the moment. Looking to find something that includes those days and work from there. Really excited to be part of a bigger group to 'use' expertise and knowledge when it comes to gels, hitting the wall and everything else in between

Hi Helenasca. What other days can you run? I have to tweak all plans to change the days so that I can do my long run on Wednesday’s due to working weekends. There’s no issue with that. You might find it harder to match your club runs up with plans though in terms of distance and pace? If you are doing a half in 4 weeks it sounds like you’ll be in a great place to start the plan. You sound experienced enough to do the Boards plan - have to looked at whether that would work for you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Last long run before the Cork Half-marathon yesterday morning (12 miles @ 10:44 pace), 7 miles of which on the DCM route as well! Found the heat really sapping tho.

I'm hoping to go sub-2 hours for Cork (based on doing 10k in 52:38 in April) but am wondering if I should change my plan on the day if it's very hot then too? Any advice much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Hit the button yesterday, will be my first marathon. I have 3 years of mountain running under my belt but my longest race was 26k so far. Am lucky to be in a great club where lots of people will be training for it. Hopefully that will make it easier for me. Did the Avondale half in feb (measured 20.6k) in 1:37. Looking forward to it even though it means I’ll have to but the mountain running on the back burner for a while.

aloooof wrote: »
    Last long run before the Cork Half-marathon yesterday morning (12 miles @ 10:44 pace), 7 miles of which on the DCM route as well! Found the heat really sapping tho.

I'm hoping to go sub-2 hours for Cork (based on doing 10k in 52:38 in April) but am wondering if I should change my plan on the day if it's very hot then too? Any advice much appreciated!

Hi Aloof, I’m doing the full next Sunday so watching the forecast daily. Today’s version is saying 13 degrees with rain but only very light winds so not bad for running at all.

If it’s very hot I’d say just take it handy at the beginning anyway and settle into a pace. You are starting at 10:15 so hopefully won’t be too bad. Make sure you hydrate well all this week using zero tablets or whatever electrolyte tablets you use. There is loads of water in Cork and in bottles so you’ll get plenty on the way round and if not raining people will be out with hoses round Ballyphehane area which is great!

Hit the button yesterday, will be my first marathon. I have 3 years of mountain running under my belt but my longest race was 26k so far. Am lucky to be in a great club where lots of people will be training for it. Hopefully that will make it easier for me. Did the Avondale half in feb (measured 20.6k) in 1:37. Looking forward to it even though it means I’ll have to but the mountain running on the back burner for a while.

Hi Dubonholiday, welcome to the thread. That was a great time in Avondale. Sounds like you have plenty of miles under your belt. Are you going to follow the Boards plan?

Managed to get 8 miles LSR in this evening, 18 in total for the week. Feeling good so far- going to try the Boards plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Last 1,000 places according to the DCM facebook as of earlier today, get yourself entered before you miss out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi welcome to the new posters Helenasca, TheBigGreen and DubOnHoliday! Congratulations on signing up - you won't regret it!! Can you guys tell us a little bit more about yourselves, there's some questions in the opening post when you have a few minutes ;)

Helenasca do your club have a group training for the marathon? They might cater the club sessions to the marathon if they do? I think the Boards plan will suit you though, it will suit all 3 of you, you all have plenty of experience :)

Dealerz2.0 an 8 mile LSR at this stage is great, Boards plan will be perfect for you.

aloooof well done on the last long run! I hope it is a fairly handy week for you this week? I'm doing a HM next Saturday myself and planning on 2-3 runs this week, no more than 45 mins each all at a very easy pace. Best of luck next Sunday, i hope it goes well for you.

I hope everyone else is doing ok and ticking over getting 3-4 runs in each week in preparation (but don't panic if you're not ;)). We're down to the last 4 weeks of base building now. June 25th will be here in no time, i personally can't wait :)

• Advertisement

Had to take a week off, slight niggles in hamstring (always after gardening) and then slight knee pain, don't know how.

Out at weekend and feeling strong. Good 8km/5m. Aiming to get up to 8m for LSR by w/c 25th June.

Really excited, much more than last year

Advertisement