Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi Dixierip, Julie2tubz, and MickOB94. Hope you all enjoy the journey.

MickOB94, how much of your training are you doing on the Treadmill?

Maybe those days you are struggling you need to slow down a little and drop the pace. If you read back thread you’ll see that we are repeating over and over again that people need to slow down and that most of your runs should be at an easy or very easy pace. You can work out what those paces should be using the McMillan Calculator. There are some excellent posts and links to other posts explaining the need to run slow. I think your target of 4:30 is realistic if you follow the training well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

coogy wrote: »
    Well that felt awesome! :)

Ran 5k at a reasonably slow pace on grass. Even running on the grass made such a big difference. Will have to try and incorporate grass running into my weekly schedule where possible.
    Does anyone else here do any of their runs exclusively on grass?

On and off sufferer of shin splints (physio put it down to the roads which gave me a fear of them for quite awhile!) and now I try to get in at least one run per week on grass/track, recently have been doing speed sessions exclusively on grass, definitely recommend especially the harder sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Tragedy has struck! I'm now unable to do DCM due to another commitment, sooo I've looked into others around the same time and decided to sign up to Cologne. OH doing the half there too so it's a good alternative. However, the marathon is 3 weeks earlier than Dublin so training plan starts earlier than mentally prepared for - this Sunday!

Pity I won't be doing it along with you all but will keep following everyone's progress all the same. I'll also still be doing some of the preparatory races, like South Dublin 10K. There's some great information for any novice in this thread!

Tragedy has struck! I'm now unable to do DCM due to another commitment, sooo I've looked into others around the same time and decided to sign up to Cologne. OH doing the half there too so it's a good alternative. However, the marathon is 3 weeks earlier than Dublin so training plan starts earlier than mentally prepared for - this Sunday!

Pity I won't be doing it along with you all but will keep following everyone's progress all the same. I'll also still be doing some of the preparatory races, like South Dublin 10K. There's some great information for any novice in this thread!

Shame about DCM but glad you signed up to Cologne. Enjoy starting the training plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MickOB94

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi Dixierip, Julie2tubz, and MickOB94. Hope you all enjoy the journey.

MickOB94, how much of your training are you doing on the Treadmill?

Maybe those days you are struggling you need to slow down a little and drop the pace. If you read back thread you’ll see that we are repeating over and over again that people need to slow down and that most of your runs should be at an easy or very easy pace. You can work out what those paces should be using the McMillan Calculator. There are some excellent posts and links to other posts explaining the need to run slow. I think your target of 4:30 is realistic if you follow the training well.

So far, all of my training for the marathon has been on the treadmill.

I had a good read of the thread last night and bookmarked a few posts that emphasise the need to run slower, which is something I hadn't really considered before. My main aim with my current training was to get relatively comfortable running for an hour at a pace that would allow me to beat my target of 4:45:00, while appreciating that it would be significantly tougher to maintain that pace for a full marathon distance!

But I'll continue to follow the thread and bookmark useful advice, and hopefully by October the 4:30:00 mark will seem a lot more realistic :D

• Advertisement

MickOB94 wrote: »

I had a good read of the thread last night and bookmarked a few posts that emphasise the need to run slower, which is something I hadn't really considered before. My main aim with my current training was to get relatively comfortable running for an hour at a pace that would allow me to beat my target of 4:45:00, while appreciating that it would be significantly tougher to maintain that pace for a full marathon distance!

But I'll continue to follow the thread and bookmark useful advice, and hopefully by October the 4:30:00 mark will seem a lot more realistic :D

Yes, it takes a while to get your head round it but so many good reasons why you need to do it. Are you planning on getting outside for runs also? Fair play for doing an hour on a treadmill. I can barely do 15 minutes on one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Just going to keep tabs here. Signed up for DCM.
    Going to follow one of those beginners generic plans.
    Ran a good few 10k over the last year or so and going to try and build up to the marathon distance.
    I’ve a 10 miler planned for July followed by a couple of HM’s then the big one.
    I’ll have a proper read of this log over the next few days or so if yis all don’t mind.
    Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MickOB94

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Yes, it takes a while to get your head round it but so many good reasons why you need to do it. Are you planning on getting outside for runs also? Fair play for doing an hour on a treadmill. I can barely do 15 minutes on one!

I know I probably should get outside for some of my runs rather than relying completely on the treadmill, I'll have a look into some routes near my house that tie in to the Hal Higdon plan and get my ass on the road! :P

I was pretty shocked when I completed the first hour long run, I just did it on a whim to see if I could do it without stopping! It's somewhat of a testament to the "run slower" advice. I did that first run at a pace of 8.5km/h (11:25 per mile), which was at least 1.5km/h slower than I've ever tried running on a treadmill before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I will be when the mileage starts increasing, I'll be driving to the Phoenix Park some evenings to do the long runs to take some of the impact off the legs. I did a lap of some local footy pitches to bring me up to the 15k on my LSR last night and it felt like heaven.
    Just to note aslo Coogy, your times will be slightly slower on the grass

Yeah, I figured times would be slower but that suits me fine!

Difficult to know just how long I should be 'easing myself' back into it after a week of no running. I suppose 'be sensible' are the words to remember!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi MickOB94 and welcome to the thread. I would advise not setting a target time for now, lets get the training underway and we can start to think about targets down the road. We strongly recommend that you train to your current fitness and not to your aspired fitness or target time. I'd recommend you use a calculator such as McMillan and work on your Training paces based on a recent race time or time trial (could you get to Park run for this?). Train at the right paces for your current fitness and i guarantee you those race times will drop in the coming weeks/months ;)

• Advertisement

Welcome also to dixierip and julie2tubz and nowaynever :) Congrats on taking the first step!!

dixierip i think you'll be well able for the boards plan off the back of running consistently 4 times a week for a good number of months and with a couple of HMs under your belt also. And likewise julie2tubz, you are also an ideal candidate for the boards plan! You won't be watching from the sidelines this year ;) Great to have you both on board.

Sorry to hear this but i'm delighted you have a back up plan lined up! Do keep in touch :)
    nowaynever wrote: »
    Just going to keep tabs here. Signed up for DCM.
    Going to follow one of those beginners generic plans.
    Ran a good few 10k over the last year or so and going to try and build up to the marathon distance.
    I’ve a 10 miler planned for July followed by a couple of HM’s then the big one.
    I’ll have a proper read of this log over the next few days or so if yis all don’t mind.
    Ta.
    Do tell us a bit more about yourself when you get a chance nowaynever ;)

Which plan are you thinking and what kind of times have you for your 10k?

coogy great news from you! Keep the increases very gradual now, 10% per week as a rough guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Rossi7

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I will be when the mileage starts increasing, I'll be driving to the Phoenix Park some evenings to do the long runs to take some of the impact off the legs. I did a lap of some local footy pitches to bring me up to the 15k on my LSR last night and it felt like heaven.
    Just to note aslo Coogy, your times will be slightly slower on the grass

Yeah, I figured times would be slower but that suits me fine!

Difficult to know just how long I should be 'easing myself' back into it after a week of no running. I suppose 'be sensible' are the words to remember!!
    Yes be wise to take it easy as the training block is only weeks away. If you don't have a foam roller I'd recommend you get one. It's great for the calves which I always get niggles with

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

The race is now sold out! No escape- we are in now novices!!!

...can’t wait...bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Rossi7

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Just the 19,999 now to beat

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if they usually allow for further entries before the race (now that it's sold out). Returns or cancellations etc?

I was on the fence about signing up, decided today if give it a go again and just saw it has sold out. Maybe its a sign.

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if they usually allow for further entries before the race (now that it's sold out). Returns or cancellations etc?

I was on the fence about signing up, decided today if give it a go again and just saw it has sold out. Maybe its a sign.

Don’t think so Pilot. They have said themselves they won’t.

Exciting times!!! In just 3 weeks time we'll be kicking off the two training plans here!

For the next 3 weeks what we'd love to see from you all is consistent running, if you can manage it work up to

- 3 short/average (3m or 5km) runs
    - 1 slightly longer (5-6m or 8-10km) run

Some of you are already running longer than this, that's fine :)

Keep the pace comfortable on ALL runs - run at a pace you can comfortably carry out a conversation in full sentences with your running partner. You can use McMillan calculator to get Training paces appropriate to you and set up alerts on your running watch if you have one to help you stay in the appropriate range.

Now is also a good time to try to establish some good habits:
    - Eat regularly and eat well
    - Drink plenty of water (especially is this hot weather)
    - Sleep well (i know some of you have young kids but as well as you can ;))
    - Dynamic warm up before runs
    - Static stretching after runs
    - Invest in a foam roller or a tennis ball to work out any tight areas (typically calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes).
    - If you want to start anything new in the way of cross training now is the time to try it (don't wait til next September to join a spinning class :eek:)

If you haven't decided on a training plan then now is also a good time to do that! The two plans we will be supporting are the Boards plan & a modified version of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 (NNH1) plan. Both plans are linked in the opening thread.

Either of these plans are guaranteed to get you around. The Boards plan is slightly more advanced with more runs done at marathon pace. Anyone who is running 6+ months, running 3-4 times per week and is comfortably running 10k+ without stopping is well able for the Boards plan, for any newer runners I'd suggest the HHN1 plan. There may of course be exceptions and if anyone would like individual advice then just ask.

Happy running folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I got my timings wrong and had signed up to half marathon first week July- what’s the best approach for training? Should I follow half marathon until then and then start following marathon plan when it’s done? It would be week three. Or just begin marathon plan correct week. Long run is 12 miles on what would be week 1 training rather than 8.

I might be over thinking this :-), the marathon plan is more important to me - particularlyr as my current training didn’t go to plan due to two weeks of crèche bugs in our house!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Thanks ariana '- a great motivating post.

I am currently managing to get 20 miles in per week, so far so good, although I appreciate its very early days.

But I have a question, that to be honest I wouldnt say I am very disciplined about:

What is eating regularly and well? Are there any particular diet/nutrition articles people would recommend looking up in prep for a marathon training.

Typical week:
    With my 3 runs mid week as I run at 6:15am: normal cereal (kids honey loops!!) and a portion of fruit berries
    Weekend long run of 8 to 10 miles with again an early morning start: banana, cereal before and then scrambled egg after the run

Doesnt sound great when you right it down like that!!

Advice welcome, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks ariana '- a great motivating post.

I am currently managing to get 20 miles in per week, so far so good, although I appreciate its very early days.

But I have a question, that to be honest I wouldnt say I am very disciplined about:

What is eating regularly and well? Are there any particular diet/nutrition articles people would recommend looking up in prep for a marathon training.

Typical week:
    With my 3 runs mid week as I run at 6:15am: normal cereal (kids honey loops!!) and a portion of fruit berries
    Weekend long run of 8 to 10 miles with again an early morning start: banana, cereal before and then scrambled egg after the run

Doesnt sound great when you right it down like that!!

Advice welcome, thanks

At this point eating well is as much a lifestyle choice as specifically pre and post race nutrition. A good diet including plenty of fruit and veg, lean meat, fish, nuts etc will do you much better than having a regular diet which is heavy in fat, sugar and sodium. All the energy gels, protein shakes after runs etc will not balance that wrong. For now just be sensible. We can look at race specific nutrition closer to the events.

effibear wrote: »
    I got my timings wrong and had signed up to half marathon first week July- what’s the best approach for training? Should I follow half marathon until then and then start following marathon plan when it’s done? It would be week three. Or just begin marathon plan correct week. Long run is 12 miles on what would be week 1 training rather than 8.

I might be over thinking this :-), the marathon plan is more important to me - particularlyr as my current training didn’t go to plan due to two weeks of crèche bugs in our house!

What's your long run at the moment effibear? Are you already following a HM plan?

Dealerz2.0 good advice from Skyblue. It's about making the right choices most of the time! A healthy balance of good quality protein (lean meat, fish, beans, lentils, eggs), plenty of veg (all the colours of the rainbow!), slow release carbs (wholemeal bread, brown pasta, rice etc.) and fruit. Healthy snacks such as nuts & seeds, a personal favourite of mine is peanut butter spread on sliced apple! And the bad stuff in moderation - we all need our guilty pleasures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I fear my question may have gotten a little lost amidst the recent flood of msgs!

So here I go again. I'm so grateful for the knowledge others here have gained and are willing to share with us beginners ðŸ˜

With the boards plan can I continue with what I'm doing in replacement of the lsr, so we have a 5k loop and are up to 15k at the moment. This increases by 2.5k each other wk. So 15k last wk and this week and 17.5k next wk etc. With an aim to reach 25k/30k continuously comfortably and maybe a little further nearer race day. Can I continue to do that or should I be pulling back to what the boards plan suggests each wk?

Ok so it looks like I'm back on track after last week's shin splints episode (at least, that's what I'm sure it was).

Anyway, this week I've eased into it by doing 2 x 5k runs and a 5 mile run this morning and it's holding up nicely.

Once thing that's started to freak me out is that we've recently changed the dates for our holiday abroad and now I have a 16 mile and an 18 mile run to contend (doing the Boards training plan) with while on holiday.
    Although I am definitely planning to take my running gear with me, I honestly don't think it's realistic for me to run those types of distances while away.......though I hope to be proved wrong.

I'm not suggesting that I don't do any long runs but does anyone think that doing say, half of each of those distances would be ok for those two weeks?

Feels like a complete spanner has been thrown into the works now!!!

davinci88 wrote: »
    Hi there , first time runner of DCM and my 3rd marathon ! I am a Fairly slow and heavy guy i did 4h57m in TelAviv in 2017 and I est 5h50m with toilet breaks etc in London this year but my Official time was 6h15m (Horribly warm) I have done a few halfs etc but never ran more than 3 times pw !
    I aim to do this one properly by the program and I am aiming for sub 4h30m !
    I havnt ran since London and wont until 25th june but i estimate i walked at least 8 to 10 miles that race ! I did not train properly and i had serious doubts about finishing!
    I am in the gym only doing strength and flexibility work until the 25th , I will follow the Boards program from then on.

I am going to finish DCM in sub 4h30m

I aim to train 5 days a week run/cross.

Boards plan.

I am sorry i didnt do it in 2016 for the medal but i was abroad !

I fear not making it to the start line , I would advise everyone to train smart and make it there healthy even if you doubt having the distance!

I lost alot of time training with the bad snow this year training for London , i missed a couple of long runs and jumped from 10 to 15mi with a gap of about 3 weeks no training , i was poorly hydrated and underfed ! This made me sick and i lost a further 10 days because of it !

I know many people who followed the program before me ! They work !

Thats it from me :-)

Hi there, and welcome to the thread and congratulations on finishing 2 previous marathons irrespective of times.

I have to say I am very confused as to why you would avoid running for the next 3 weeks until the plan begins? There is no substitute for running miles in preparation for a marathon. Leave the weeks where you run very little until the taper at the end! :pac: Remember a regular base of running is recommended before starting the Boards plan. Is there any way you could restart your running straight away?

Ok so it looks like I'm back on track after last week's shin splints episode (at least, that's what I'm sure it was).

Anyway, this week I've eased into it by doing 2 x 5k runs and a 5 mile run this morning and it's holding up nicely.

Once thing that's started to freak me out is that we've recently changed the dates for our holiday abroad and now I have a 16 mile and an 18 mile run to contend (doing the Boards training plan) with while on holiday.
    Although I am definitely planning to take my running gear with me, I honestly don't think it's realistic for me to run those types of distances while away.......though I hope to be proved wrong.

I'm not suggesting that I don't do any long runs but does anyone think that doing say, half of each of those distances would be ok for those two weeks?

No need to be stressing yourself too much. It's nearly impossible to get through a marathon plan without real life getting in the way. Holidays, illness or injury will probably cause most people to miss a day or two. At the same time do your best not to miss them. Maybe get out at the crack of dawn when everyone else is still asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Sorry to say, I don’t think so. Those distances are some key markers in the cycle and you gotta suck it up and do as much as you can, not just decide on halving the distance. I had a similar issue previously where due to the heat on Holidays I was worried about same. Set the alarm for 5am, out the door for 5:15 am and gave it what I could........Marathon distance is tough.....you have to make sacrifices along the way.
    I’ll have a similar issue again this year..........this is more for me than you!

I know I probably should get outside for some of my runs rather than relying completely on the treadmill, I'll have a look into some routes near my house that tie in to the Hal Higdon plan and get my ass on the road! :P

I was pretty shocked when I completed the first hour long run, I just did it on a whim to see if I could do it without stopping! It's somewhat of a testament to the "run slower" advice. I did that first run at a pace of 8.5km/h (11:25 per mile), which was at least 1.5km/h slower than I've ever tried running on a treadmill before!

Get your ass out is right! There is nothing to compare between treadmill and running outdoors. Unless you are on Interpols most wanted list I can't think of a reason to hide away indoors.

It's also better for you in more ways than simply getting fresh air. The constant adjustments to strides which we make outdoors cause us to use all the smaller muscles, tendons and ligaments as our body constantly rebalances itself. The repetitive stride of treadmill running robs you of this.

I am fairly confident of having the base once the plan starts !

I am taking the break to rebuild my muscular strength and endurance before starting running again !

I found LSD (running) breaks down the body and the strength rebuilt prior to 25th June will be beneficial moving forward ! I am happy in the gym right now and savouring the break ! But looking forward to getting back on the roads for the best of the weather ��

I don't want to rain on your parade or knock your obvious confidence in your plan......but I am obliged to! :D

There is zero logic in not running for months before beginning the training plan. The body will get stronger and develop the ability not to "break down" by starting at a low level and slowly building up. The next 3 weeks would be much better spent doing some short slow runs. I think if you're looking to get out in the best of the weather you have missed a trick these past few weeks. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

never ran more than 3 times pw !
    I did not train properly
    I would advise everyone to train smart
    i missed a couple of long runs and jumped from 10 to 15mi with a gap of about 3 weeks no training , i was poorly hydrated and underfed !
    if i was a complete beginner ! But i am not,
    I know myself is what i am saying ! And 22 weeks is plenty for me start to finish !
    Official time was 6h15m

I think you are all over the place and would benefit from really listening to what other people might have to say about marathon training.

Advertisement