Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi Aloof, I’m doing the full next Sunday so watching the forecast daily. Today’s version is saying 13 degrees with rain but only very light winds so not bad for running at all.

If it’s very hot I’d say just take it handy at the beginning anyway and settle into a pace. You are starting at 10:15 so hopefully won’t be too bad. Make sure you hydrate well all this week using zero tablets or whatever electrolyte tablets you use. There is loads of water in Cork and in bottles so you’ll get plenty on the way round and if not raining people will be out with hoses round Ballyphehane area which is great!

Thanks for the advice Kellygirl, and best of luck with the full!

This is probably a bad time to mention that I've never used any zero tablets / electrolyte tablets?? I'll probably just stick with the water for this week, as I don't think I want to try anything new in the lead up to the race, but I'll keep them in mind, and give them a go once the race is over with.

The hoses sounds great btw! :)
    ariana` wrote: »
    aloooof well done on the last long run! I hope it is a fairly handy week for you this week? I'm doing a HM next Saturday myself and planning on 2-3 runs this week, no more than 45 mins each all at a very easy pace. Best of luck next Sunday, i hope it goes well for you.

Three runs on the plan of 3m, 2m and 2m, so I'll be taking it nice and handy! Best of luck with your half as well!
    ariana` wrote: »
    We're down to the last 4 weeks of base building now. June 25th will be here in no time, i personally can't wait :)

I'll second this, cannot wait to start into the training plan now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

aloooof wrote: »

This is probably a bad time to mention that I've never used any zero tablets / electrolyte tablets?? I'll probably just stick with the water for this week, as I don't think I want to try anything new in the lead up to the race, but I'll keep them in mind, and give them a go once the race is over with.

They are similar to dioralyte. My gp actually told me to drink two sachets of that a day last year coming up to the marathon but I hate the taste so I use Zero tablets instead. I can’t imagine they’d affect you in anyway if you did try them but they are the sort of thing you could try today. Water should be plenty for a half either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They are similar to dioralyte. My gp actually told me to drink two sachets of that a day last year coming up to the marathon but I hate the taste so I use Zero tablets instead. I can’t imagine they’d affect you in anyway if you did try them but they are the sort of thing you could try today. Water should be plenty for a half either way.

I'd take a dioralyte after a run. Do you recommend taking one more regularly, or just in advance of a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

aloooof wrote: »

I used the zero tabs for the first time based on kellygirl's advice, and I can confirm they are the biz! Not the type of thing to affect tummy badly I would think, no matter how sensitive, they just provide a much needed boost!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'd take a dioralyte after a run. Do you recommend taking one more regularly, or just in advance of a race?

I take them the day before long runs or for a few days before a marathon. I also use them in the swimming pool as i’m In there teaching for hours at a time and they stop dehydration headaches that I was getting.

I also carry them during marathons to add to water bottles on the way round.

I’d have one in my water after too after a long training one.

They just keep you electrolytes balanced - especially on a hot day where you would be drinking loads of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with custom fitted insoles for running shoes?
    I have been using off the shelf arch support insoles for the last year or so which are ok but now need replacing and would like to try custom fit ones. I enquired in the Foot Solutions store in Blanchardstown and was quoted €299.00 !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Have finally taken the plunge after years of talk with no action! so here goes....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have ran as far as half marathon but my PBs are all from 2011 & im nearly 30 sec per mile off them times. My current times are
    8k 39.37 in January
    10k 50.40 in November

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Typical week is club speed session on tuesday, 4-5miles Thurs or Fri & long run (9 miles so far) on Sunday. Swimming one other night.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    1. Finish without suffering from halfway! Dream - sub 4, realistic sub 4.30?

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days at the most running & maybe a swim. Either HH novice or boards plan id say

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Suffering from halfway!.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Have to do one some time....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

ChippyRun wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with custom fitted insoles for running shoes?
    I have been using off the shelf arch support insoles for the last year or so which are ok but now need replacing and would like to try custom fit ones. I enquired in the Foot Solutions store in Blanchardstown and was quoted €299.00 !

I got them about 7 or 8 years ago due to very low arches in my feet & find them very good. They were about €200-300 at the time i think? They came with lifetime guarantee which was great as one of them cracked on me 2 years ago & they replaced it for free. Company i used was city chiropracter in galway but they dont do them anymore. Manufacturer was TOG so i just used another agent of theirs in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Welcome bluestone, congrats on taking the plunge!! I think you will be able for the Boards plan. And don't fear - if you pace it right you won't be suffering from half-way though i can't guarantee you won't be suffering the next day but the medal and sense of pride will make it more than worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Had a holiday touring around for the week so no proper week last week.. done two 3 mile jogs though on Tuesday and Wednesday.. first time I ever actually bothered with exercise on a holiday so thats a personal achievement I guess ha

Just done a 2 mile jog now as I'm eager to keep things going from before the holiday.

Anyways, just wanted to pop back into the thread after the week "off".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I've been mostly doing shorter races up to 10k PB was just under 55 minutes. My first half last July was 2 hrs 6 mins. But I would have had a bit more running behind me for those. No walking breaks required. Running club twice a week 6/7km at a pace of 5.30 per km and I do a long slow run on a Friday up to 15k at a pace of 7.30 per km. And play tag rugby twice a wk (til end of July then that'll change to runs) I'd like to do a sub 4.5hr but not sure if that's just a dream. I've never trained with energy gels or anything like that, just with protein and water shakes and bcca. So would love some input into that side. Checked out the boards plan seems good and manageable. Why am I doing it? I have no idea ha. Prob mad in the head like most marathon runners. But I want to cross the finish line after 26.2 miles and enjoy the sense of achievement.

Hope I've covered everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Hi Dubonholiday, welcome to the thread. That was a great time in Avondale. Sounds like you have plenty of miles under your belt. Are you going to follow the Boards plan?
    Thanks Kellygirl, I’ll be leaning towards my club plan as I’ll be running it with lots of buddies and that was one of the motivations for signing up. I’ll be keeping a keen eye here to see what’s going on in the boards plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Tipping away here at training. I'm finding that I'm able to tolerate running for longer stretches and therefore walking breaks are shorter. The plan is mini-marathon this weekend which I'm hoping with the faster route I can finally crack the 75 min mark for a 10k. I've a half marathon booked in about 3 weeks. It's all about testing the stamina at this stage. If I can finish the half in under 3 hours I'll be very happy.

I've taken a long look at HHN1 and I *think* that I can drop the runs down to 2 short, 1 LSR per week providing I dovetail at least 2 yoga sessions into it. Am i mad to think this?

Helenasca wrote: »
    I've been mostly doing shorter races up to 10k PB was just under 55 minutes. My first half last July was 2 hrs 6 mins. But I would have had a bit more running behind me for those. No walking breaks required. Running club twice a week 6/7km at a pace of 5.30 per km and I do a long slow run on a Friday up to 15k at a pace of 7.30 per km. And play tag rugby twice a wk (til end of July then that'll change to runs) I'd like to do a sub 4.5hr but not sure if that's just a dream. I've never trained with energy gels or anything like that, just with protein and water shakes and bcca. So would love some input into that side. Checked out the boards plan seems good and manageable. Why am I doing it? I have no idea ha. Prob mad in the head like most marathon runners. But I want to cross the finish line after 26.2 miles and enjoy the sense of achievement.

Hope I've covered everything.

Hi Heleasca, i'm a little bit concerned about the pace of your two midweek club runs - these are tempo pace and twice a week is a lot to be running tempo. You could follow the Boards plan and work in the club runs BUT you need to be running them at a much slower pace - is that an option? The long slow run on a Friday is great, brilliant to be up to 15k on that and the pace is spot on. I don't think 4:30 is unrealistic for you but I'd advise anyone doing their first marathon to enjoy the experience and not worry about the time.
    Eoineo wrote: »
    Tipping away here at training. I'm finding that I'm able to tolerate running for longer stretches and therefore walking breaks are shorter. The plan is mini-marathon this weekend which I'm hoping with the faster route I can finally crack the 75 min mark for a 10k. I've a half marathon booked in about 3 weeks. It's all about testing the stamina at this stage. If I can finish the half in under 3 hours I'll be very happy.

I've taken a long look at HHN1 and I *think* that I can drop the runs down to 2 short, 1 LSR per week providing I dovetail at least 2 yoga sessions into it. Am i mad to think this?

Eoineo i'm sorry i'm not quite clear on the question :o Are you hoping to squeeze 4 runs a week into 3? Best of luck in the WMM - it looks like it's going to be warm so drink plenty the day before and morning of!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes, you need to be doing more mileage, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Yes, you need to be doing more mileage, not less.

This basically. I done HHN1 and skipped runs here and there, I didnt skip one every week but even skipping every now and again didnt have me 100% prepared on the day. I cramped up bad, and of course there may have been other factors but it was definitely down to lack of miles in the legs throughout the course of the plan. HHN1 is designed to get you around, and its a great plan for 1st timers, it really is. But if you skip a run every week for 16-18 weeks (cant remember?) then it'll definitely catch up on you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I'm getting started on my base plan this week before the marathon training kicks off properly (have been concentrating on 10k time the last 9 weeks). I'm looking to put in a few good weeks of moderate mileage - approx 35-40 miles per week and building up from there.
    I still have yet to decide which plan to follow. Have looked at my schedule, I can fit in a moderate run (anywhere between 1-2 hours depending on which plan I do ) on a Friday and then I'll be building up my LSR on Sunday. These are realistically the only days I can do longer runs. Will then have lunchtimes and evenings for other runs. I'm concerned that this is a lot of stress loaded onto one end of the week or does this sound OK?

I've also been doing some intervals (2 mile x 3) the last while and would like to keep doing these as I think they really helped with my 10k endurance. Will try to work these into a plan but at half marathon pace, any recommendations around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

I've done two marathons on 3 runs a week (2 short-mid distance and an lsr) and while its possible to get around on this set up, you are putting yourself at risk of hitting the wall badly at 20miles and trust me those last 6 miles are torture if you hit the wall!!!.

Your best bet is to try your best to stick to the plans to ensure you get around and are able to enjoy it.

ariana` wrote:
    Hi Heleasca, i'm a little bit concerned about the pace of your two midweek club runs - these are tempo pace and twice a week is a lot to be running tempo. You could follow the Boards plan and work in the club runs BUT you need to be running them at a much slower pace - is that an option? The long slow run on a Friday is great, brilliant to be up to 15k on that and the pace is spot on. I don't think 4:30 is unrealistic for you but I'd advise anyone doing their first marathon to enjoy the experience and not worry about the time.

There are different groups that go out at different paces. What pace roughly do you think I should I be doing them at?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Okay bit the bullet and signed up. Have been running for a couple of years but inconsistently until early this year.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Have done a few 10ks and 2x half marathons .

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

How much training do you currently do ? Running about 4 days a week since February. Getting some consistency in my running for the first time after years of dipping in and out. Runs- generally 4 -6 miles and parkrun Saturday.
    Aim is to finish --- would be great to manage 4.30

Looking at boards and hal hig novice but leaning towards boards plan.
    My fear is getting injured and falling behind with training plan.
    Looking forward to giving it a lash after contemplating doing marathon for a long time.

• Advertisement

Helenasca wrote:
    There are different groups that go out at different paces. What pace roughly do you think I should I be doing them at?

One other question. The cross training on Sundays is gonna be a big issue for me. I can't cycle due to lower back issues (no issues for running just the angle of my back for cycling for prolonged periods causes pain) and I can't swim. Any other options available?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

One other question. The cross training on Sundays is gonna be a big issue for me. I can't cycle due to lower back issues (no issues for running just the angle of my back for cycling for prolonged periods causes pain) and I can't swim. Any other options available?

Rest.

Seriously, for my first marathon I did minimal cross training and definitely nothing strenuous. I found that the extra rest helped me immensely and if I did anything on those days it was something like yoga or climbing for a bit of core work.

That might not be for you though. If you do want to do something different I would recommend the indoor climbing actually, its a really good low impact core workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hello all, I am signed up for my first ever marathon - the dCM this year. I thought id join you guys and answer some of the questions. excuse my lengthy replies.

Have you raced before?

a small bit- few 10km's, and the 10 mile and 1/2 marathon last year. I folllowed the Hal Hig marathon training last year with my boyfriend as far as the 1/2 marathon when I stopped, as I was too scared to do full marathon... yet here i am now :)

If so what are your PBs? Dublin HM last year - the disaster that it was... 2.12 I think - had a bit of nightmare in the 2nd half of it - mentally imploded. Great ireland run 10km 2018 - 58 mins - absolutely loved this race.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? Nope

How much training do you currently do ? try to get in 4 runs a week. 2 x 5km, 1 x 8km (ish) - usually run at a pace of 5.45-5.50/km and a LSR at weekend - have been 5 - 7miles in length this is usually done - 6.30-7.00/km . Also trying to do 2/3 strength trainings a week at home. Mainly core stuff etc. just trying to build up to start of training on 25th June... eeekkk

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Just want to finish it without stopping basically. :)

planning to follow the boards plan this year. If i can manage.I have lots of time this summer to follow it - just worry when I go back to college (Im a mature student) in september I will have a lot more pressures then. But i am determined to do this.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Biggest worry is my IT band screwing me over. I have suffered with IT band syndrome for a few years. I can normally nip it in the bud when it starts flaring up again now as i have the exercises and rolling techniques. Butttt strength is my BFF in this situation to keep me safe.

Have watched it 2 years in a row and I want to take part this year...

Your easy runs should be in the range 6:20-6:40 min/km. Your times aren't very dissimilar to what mine were this time last year and most of my training fell in that range. Your long run could be a bit slower again which it already is. Check out the McMillan calculator . After you put in all your details there is a link on the left for Training Paces. For now i would advise you to veer towards the slower end of the range.

Could you power walk? Or do yoga/pilates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Ok, so I've had a week of no running after last week's suspected shin splints.

It's definitely a lot better than it was so I'm going out now on an easy 5k run (on grass) to see how I get on.

Itching to get back out there!!!!

coogy wrote: »
    Ok, so I've had a week of no running after last week's suspected shin splints.

It's definitely a lot better than it was so I'm going out now on an easy 5k run (on grass) to see how I get on.

Itching to get back out there!!!!

Slow as you can now Coogy! Hopefully all will be fine. Enjoy your run and come back and tell us how it went - and how nice and slow you stayed ;)

Slow as you can now Coogy! Hopefully all will be fine. Enjoy your run and come back and tell us how it went - and how nice and slow you stayed ;)

Thanks Kellygirl.
    I'm wearing socks now with extra cushioning and have been doing regular stretches during the week which will hopefully have helped!

Well that felt awesome! :)

Ran 5k at a reasonably slow pace on grass. Even running on the grass made such a big difference. Will have to try and incorporate grass running into my weekly schedule where possible.
    Does anyone else here do any of their runs exclusively on grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Rossi7

I will be when the mileage starts increasing, I'll be driving to the Phoenix Park some evenings to do the long runs to take some of the impact off the legs. I did a lap of some local footy pitches to bring me up to the 15k on my LSR last night and it felt like heaven.
    Just to note aslo Coogy, your times will be slightly slower on the grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MickOB94

Tried to post this last night but had login issues, so here's hoping this attempt works!

Long time reader of Boards, and signed up to DCM 2018 a few months ago with a couple of friends. I've only recently found this forum and particularly this thread, and decided to make an account and share in everyone's journey! :D

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I've only ever run a handful of 5K races in the past. The vast majority of my running has been on the treadmill, and I've considerably increased the distances I run on the treadmill since signing up to DCM 2018.

5K - 25:35, Dublin Docklands, September 2016
    10K - 58:50 (treadmill), May 2018

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently run on average 15-20km per week. If I have time/energy after a run, I would jump on the cross trainer or stationary bike for 20-30 minutes

My original goal was just to finish the race, however after a bit of training, I set myself a target of 4:45:00. I'm not fully sure why I settled on this time, I guess I thought 4:30:00 was a bit too ambitious, and that 5:00:00 wasn't ambitious enough!

Now, with a bit more training under my belt, and having looked at a few training plans that I could follow, I think 4:30:00 might be attainable, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself!

I can train 3-4 days a week. I'm planning on following the Hal Higdon plan, that looks to be a plan that fits well around my other commitments.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Not being able to finish.

My current training involves running for 60 minutes at a fixed pace. I started at 8.5km/h (which Google informs me is a pace of approximately 11:25 per mile), and have slowly worked up, 0.1km/h at a time, to my most recent best pace of 10.2km/h (approximately 9:30 per mile). I manage to complete, on average, about 3 such runs every 2 weeks.

More often than not, when I set out to do an hour long run, I'm able to complete it. However there are days where I struggle to get to the 3 or 4km mark and have to stop running. There have even been times where one day I'd stop after 3 or 4km, then come back 1 or 2 days later and get through an hour long run with relatively little issue!

So my main fear is that the race day itself ends up being one of those days where I struggle through 3 or 4 kilometres and can't find the energy or willpower to keep going after that

Over the last couple of years, I've said to myself "wouldn't it be cool to be able to run a marathon?", while I aimlessly plodded along on the treadmill and usually struggled to get through 2 or 3 kilometres :P Then last year, a friend had the same "wouldn't it be cool" thought, and I said why not!

Advertisement