Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Coogy, it’d be great if you found a running buddy but be prepared to do some long runs on your own just in case too. For me, radio works to keep me amused. If not on a weekday I’d download the podcast of whatever talk show from a morning during the week. I never get to listen to radio during the week and found I’d be more engrossed in that than music. Others like podcasts or audio books. worth trying to find something that might help.

hanksy123 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies RE the compression socks.

Did anyone do the Streets of Dublin 5k yesterday? The results are not released yet but I feel like I'm waiting for my Leaving Cert results! It feels a bit ridiculous to be so excited about it but I'll be happy if I did it quicker than 24 mins. I think I came in around 23:58 or 23:59. It was my first race and I loved it. I can see how it would get addictive.

Well done! Let us know when the results come in. Great time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

gypsylee wrote: »
    A quick question. As I am a slow runner I am aiming to do DCM at a pace of 6.30-7.00 per KM (yes, I am that slow!). My current race pace is about 6.10 - 6.20 so I am running my shorter training runs at 7 - 7.20 at the moment. Should I stick with this pace for my LSR or should I run even slower?

Do not ever worry about how slow you think you are, at 6.30 km is around 4hrs 30 ish minutes Marathon time and 7 min per km will see you just under 5 hours not bad at all :)

To get a better idea of what paces you should be aiming for use during training use the Calculator https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/normally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

gypsylee wrote: »
    A quick question. As I am a slow runner I am aiming to do DCM at a pace of 6.30-7.00 per KM (yes, I am that slow!). My current race pace is about 6.10 - 6.20 so I am running my shorter training runs at 7 - 7.20 at the moment. Should I stick with this pace for my LSR or should I run even slower?

Hiya. For now I think you should slow it all down. Your race pace in the 10k was about 6:40 per km not the 6:10/ 20 you mentioned. This would make 7 minute Kms in training a bit close to your race pace. I'd be looking at doing LSR at about 8 mins per km.

As regards to basing training on a target pace for DCM I think it has been mentioned that this isn't a great plan. Do the training based on current fitness and see where it takes you. It might be faster than your target, might be slower or might be exactly what you expect. Let it come to you rather than go chasing it.

I appreciate where you're coming from but does it still stand if I'm not strictly a novice? Just to give you some background: I have been running roughly 7 years over 12 yr period. I started running in 2006, joined a club in 2007 and did dcm in 2010, which I really enjoyed. Speedwork has always been a main component of my training. I've only ever been injured once, just last year. Which is why I started doing strength and conditioning and I foam roll and stretch after every run. I love my speed sessions as they are a social outlet as much as anything else and I would hate the thought of giving them up.

I get you! I was commenting on the week as it was which was light on mileage. If you have a good handle on your speed work then no reason not to continue with marathon appropriate speed or interval work as long as it's well integrated into a plan and not done instead of an easy day. How many days a week to you hope to train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

hanksy123 wrote: »
    Did anyone do the Streets of Dublin 5k yesterday? The results are not released yet but I feel like I'm waiting for my Leaving Cert results! It feels a bit ridiculous to be so excited about it but I'll be happy if I did it quicker than 24 mins. I think I came in around 23:58 or 23:59. It was my first race and I loved it. I can see how it would get addictive.

Hi, I did the Streets of Dublin yesterday, very enjoyable run even though it was quite humid. Not sure what issues they are having with the chip times but they are due to provide an update today at 5pm. Great time btw well done.

Enjoyed my training last week, 6x800 intervals, 16k LSR and the 5k race. Managed to break my 4 year 5k pb @19:11 which felt good

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hiya. For now I think you should slow it all down. Your race pace in the 10k was about 6:40 per km not the 6:10/ 20 you mentioned. This would make 7 minute Kms in training a bit close to your race pace. I'd be looking at doing LSR at about 8 mins per km.

As regards to basing training on a target pace for DCM I think it has been mentioned that this isn't a great plan. Do the training based on current fitness and see where it takes you. It might be faster than your target, might be slower or might be exactly what you expect. Let it come to you rather than go chasing it.

Thanks skyblue. I ran the last 10km race conservatively but I take on board what you are saying. Will slow the LSR right down and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi, I did the Streets of Dublin yesterday, very enjoyable run even though it was quite humid. Not sure what issues they are having with the chip times but they are due to provide an update today at 5pm. Great time btw well done.

Enjoyed my training last week, 6x800 intervals, 16k LSR and the 5k race. Managed to break my 4 year 5k pb @19:11 which felt good

Well done on the new 5k pb, super time! You did a lot of hard running last week. Was there some easy stuff in there too by any chance?

That's great running and a great follow up to the Terenure 5 mile. Well done.

I have to say that apart from advice to get easy runs into your schedule there probably won't be too much this thread will offer you :pac: Have you looked in on the marathon improvers thread?

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks AuldManKing!
    I missed the ParkRun yesterday but did a 5 mile run of my own during the afternoon as I couldn't have made it through the day without running!
    Also did an 11 mile run tonight with an average of 9.05. That's a 1 mile increase on last week's long run. It was tough enough but I think a lot of that is to do with not having a running buddy. I really think I need company for the longer runs. Will have to see if I can seek out a running partner.
    Does anyone else do the longer runs solo or do you have a running partner(s)?

Maybe you could mention your general locality and someone from here might get in touch. Your times and distances are here for all to see so who knows there might be someone in the same boat.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on the new 5k pb, super time! You did a lot of hard running last week. Was there some easy stuff in there too by any chance?

Ha ha, yeah been two hard weeks with Terenure 5mile and Streets of Dublin but i'm happy with some new pb's. I did 10k of my 16k LSR slower than normal (about 5:30 pace which felt like walking at times compared to the race paces lately). Planning a nice easy week this week with no hard km's to give my legs some well earned recovery

That's great running and a great follow up to the Terenure 5 mile. Well done.

I have to say that apart from advice to get easy runs into your schedule there probably won't be too much this thread will offer you :pac: Have you looked in on the marathon improvers thread?

Up to Jan/Feb this year i had been a fairly solid 5min km runner for the last 4 years. Decided to pick an ambitious 10k training plan to see if i could get back to my old times (but hopefully in a smarter way).

Where im probably lacking in guidance/common sense is in the higher mileage regions of marathon training as i tend do never do myself justice and run slower times than i should.

I'll have a look at the improvers thread though, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I get you! I was commenting on the week as it was which was light on mileage. If you have a good handle on your speed work then no reason not to continue with marathon appropriate speed or interval work as long as it's well integrated into a plan and not done instead of an easy day. How many days a week to you hope to train?

It was light on milage cos I dropped my 10 mile long run on Sunday as I just felt too tired. I should have dropped my speed session after Terenure 5 mile as it was too much speed in one week and I'm not used to racing anymore. It took a lot more out of me than expected. Will deffo prioritise the long run in future.

I am planning to train 4 days a week, from this coming week. Maybe 5 later on. The rough plan is hard, easy, medium, easy-ish. I'm not very scientific ;)

It was light on milage cos I dropped my 10 mile long run on Sunday as I just felt too tired. I should have dropped my speed session after Terenure 5 mile as it was too much speed in one week and I'm not used to racing anymore. It took a lot more out of me than expected. Will deffo prioritise the long run in future.

I am planning to train 4 days a week, from this coming week. Maybe 5 later on. The rough plan is hard, easy, medium, easy-ish. I'm not very scientific ;)

Haha, not scientific but stubborn. I know everyone's level of hard, medium etc can be different but I'd be thinking that you need 2 very easy/ easy days per week during the marathon block. Getting it up to 5 days would be really great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Hi
    Thanks to all involved for setting the thread up, really enjoyed reading it last year, and knew I wasnt ready last year, but this year it's time to do it!!

I have been running about 18 months, inbetween life and stuff, felt I needed get off the couch and do something, so running seemed like the "easy" choice.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Yes, as I said running about 18 months.
    Ran about 5 half marathons with a PB of 1:53 at Bohermeen this year, which I am chuffed about- previous was 1:58.
    5k: 24:48
    10k: 49:59

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

I try to run 3 times a week at 6:15am before work, with a LSR with a local running group on a Sunday of 10+ miles. Weekly about 16 miles. Obviously I need to up that soon!

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Never saw myself running a marathon, but hopefully staying injury free I will this year. First goal is to finish, second goal is to go 3:59:59!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I will try and train 4-5 times but I haven’t picked a plan yet- I probably should soon- any recommendations?

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

My biggest fear is getting injured

Why are you running this marathon?

I am running the marathon because it will be a massive challenge for me personally- but can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

i fear that i do not have the base to do the training for this, what is the best test of your current fitness levels? i did a parkrun at the weekend in 32 mins if thats any indication

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

You'd be surprised Slingerz. Time and pace not great judge, you're only one who can do that. All depends on how you felt doing it, after it and how often you're going out

The plans are designed to get your fitness up. Still over 5 months to train, which is LOADS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Welcome to the novice group Dealerz2.0. A long run of 10 miles is a great starting point. I think you'd be well able for the Boards plan which is slightly more challenging than the NNH1 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Just figuring out some changes I need to make to the plan to fit in holidays etc. and was wondering how much we can move the races around? I'm not in Dublin so have to find alternatives to the races in the plan, and my main worry is the half marathon. I assume we wouldn't want to push it back too much and end up with it being too close to the marathon? Would it be ok to push it until the week after?

Couple of stupid questions to start my contribution:

What is a “stride” in the boards plan?

What distance/gradient constitutes a “hill”

• Advertisement

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Couple of stupid questions to start my contribution:

What is a “stride” in the boards plan?

What distance/gradient constitutes a “hill”

Just about to run now so haven't time to make links etc but both are explained a few pages back. Lots of good info if you read the thread from the start.

Just figuring out some changes I need to make to the plan to fit in holidays etc. and was wondering how much we can move the races around? I'm not in Dublin so have to find alternatives to the races in the plan, and my main worry is the half marathon. I assume we wouldn't want to push it back too much and end up with it being too close to the marathon? Would it be ok to push it until the week after?

I wouldn't do that for one simple reason. You will have an easy week before the half, a recovery week after it and then straight into the 3 week taper.

Just about to run now so haven't time to make links etc but both are explained a few pages back. Lots of good info if you read the thread from the start.

Apologies, I’ll find it- thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

slingerz wrote: »
    i fear that i do not have the base to do the training for this, what is the best test of your current fitness levels? i did a parkrun at the weekend in 32 mins if thats any indication

Running since 2011. Had never gone beyond 10k. Wrote my first marathon novice post in late May 2016, did DCM that year. Wasn't doing huge mileage and had dinged my ribs a bit before training started, got the all clear from the GP a bit later. Give us more of a sense of your running background and we can advise.

Apologies, I’ll find it- thanks

No need to apologise. I just didn't want to leave you hanging and was rushing off to a race. Did you find it?

Edit: I'm also crap at doing links! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

slingerz wrote:

Put it this way. Do you think you could walk 42k? Do you think you could (with training) run 42k even if you have to stop along the way? Do you think you could (with training) run 42k without stopping? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes then you can do DCM. We're not elite athletes here. If you finish in six hours or three hours you'll get the same guidance and level of respect here regardless. Back yourself.

No need to apologise. I just didn't want to leave you hanging and was rushing off to a race. Did you find it?

Edit: I'm also crap at doing links! :rolleyes:

Sure did, thanks skyblue46, will be trying the strides tomorrow morning.

Sure did, thanks skyblue46, will be trying the strides tomorrow morning.

Strides...bloody hell...😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi folks,

not seeking any medical advice or anything but just wondering what the more experienced runners' experiences are with shin splints during their marathon training?
    Was out on a 5 mile run last night and felt it coming on. Quite sore this morning so I'll try to rest up for a couple of days and ease back into it.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

not seeking any medical advice or anything but just wondering what the more experienced runners' experiences are with shin splints during their marathon training?
    Was out on a 5 mile run last night and felt it coming on. Quite sore this morning so I'll try to rest up for a couple of days and ease back into it.

Thanks!

Oh no Coogy. Would it worth getting a physio appointment to be sure? You’ll probably need a physio at some stage during training anyway.

Meanwhile make sure any running you do is seriously slow and easy. Pull right back.

Advertisement